I am extremely terrified of Neuroanatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's P/F, but with internal ranking by quartiles. The rank is given in a code word in the Dean's letter.

To make it even worse, the Pharma exams were only about 60 questions each haha. I was so happy when I got a 91% on mine, then I found out that I was still below average ROFL.
So then you are competing against each other technically.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So then you are competing against each other technically.

Yeah, I guess so. I feel a bit sorry for the guys who are dead set on Derm or Ortho. I meen, I feel nervous and anxious enough about our exams, I can't imagine how bad it must be if you desperately want to get into a competitive specialty and you want to be top quartile.

I know I'm going to cause a ****storm if I use the word "gay" again, but honestly, Microbiology is one of the most homo things I've ever seen in medicine. I would rather lose one of my digits than go through that class again.

Yeah it is, every other disease has to do with MSM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL if you have studied hard and done your very best, why would you be nervous about taking an exam?

The top students aren't nervous because they know they are probably going to kill their exams.

For me, it's about passing the exam. For them, it's about beating everyone else.

LOL if you have studied hard and done your very best, why would you be nervous about taking an exam? The top students aren't nervous because they know they are probably going to kill their exams.

They probably are not as wound up on their performance relative to others, but possibly rather on having to master a higher amount of minutiae, which nets them questions that others miss, which then usually leads them to be at the very top of the class.

I dont get how your in-class deviations are so tight. That's so stupid. Ours are generally like 8 percent with a mean low 80s to high 70s. Have seen the deviation as high as 11 I believe.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont get how your in-class deviations are so tight. That's so stupid. Ours are generally like 8 percent with a mean low 80s to high 70s. Have seen the deviation as high as 11 I believe.
I agree - exactly my point. I mean a 4 point difference out of 100, between 1st quartile and 3rd quartile? That's just ridiculous.

I agree - exactly my point. I mean a 4 point difference out of 100, between 1st quartile and 3rd quartile? That's just ridiculous.

That would mean the SD is roughly 2.5ish, or 3 at most with some crude stats estimating. I'm not sure what that even says about the exams. If they are extremely specific in the notes and people just know what is on the exam, or if they are extremely random and no one has any benefit on them over another on average. I don't really see how a professor takes all the noise of different studying intensities, life events, weddings, etc etc and cuts it down to that narrow of a distro.

I think it starts at admission. The adcoms try to make the class as homogenous as possible (young, traditional, white/asian, mostly male, science majors), so that narrows down some of the noise. As for the exam itself, well, in Pharma the professors basically broadcast what was going to be on the exam, that's why I got over 90% haha.

In other classes, the St.Dev is about 4%, they are extremely specific in the knowledge they demand.

I think it starts at admission. The adcoms try to make the class as homogenous as possible (young, traditional, white/asian, mostly male, science majors), so that narrows down some of the noise. As for the exam itself, well, in Pharma the professors basically broadcast what was going to be on the exam, that's why I got over 90% haha.

In other classes, the St.Dev is about 4%, they are extremely specific in the knowledge they demand.

So everyone honors your pharma class?

So everyone honors your pharma class?

No. There are no honors, it's P/F. You're graded against your classmates by quartile for the purposes of Dean's Letter and AOA.

No. There are no honors, it's P/F. You're graded against your classmates by quartile for the purposes of Dean's Letter and AOA.

Oh thats pretty interesting. My school is H/P/F

Members don't see this ad :)

How does homogenizing the class, lead to tighter grade distributions? You mean more science strong medical students who gun?

How does homogenizing the class, lead to tighter grade distributions? You mean more science strong medical students who gun?

I guess he's just saying that they are more likely to be similar with regards to studying and prep for exams. I just don't understand why it is good to have averages that high and that consistently high. Seems like the whole memorize a study guide, acquire 95 % type of deal.

I think it starts at admission. The adcoms try to make the class as homogenous as possible (young, traditional, white/asian, mostly male, science majors),
Well, that's your problem right there.

Reactions: 7 users
Just reviewed the exam results, I'm 2nd-to-last haha. Started from the bottom, I'm still here, namsayin?

I'm gonna get through medical school while (apparently) learning as little as humanly possible. And that's fine by me, because med school has destroyed any desire I had of learning ish.

I just hope my patients don't find out what a craptacular student I was.

I know I'm going to cause a ****storm if I use the word "gay" again, but honestly, Microbiology is one of the most homo things I've ever seen in medicine. I would rather lose one of my digits than go through that class again.

You never learn do you. Everything that was said about you using the word gay applies to using the word homo. Stop it dude! Is your vocabulary truly that limited that you can't come up with an adjective that doesn't demean a group of people?

How about: lame, crappy, sucky, shetty, horrible, awful, mindnumbing, asinine, bad, terrible, horrific, craptastic, silly, unnecessary, stupid, terrifying, et cetera, et cetera.

*headdesk*

Reactions: 4 users
You never learn do you. Everything that was said about you using the word gay applies to using the word homo. Stop it dude! Is your vocabulary truly that limited that you can't come up with an adjective that doesn't demean a group of people?

How about: lame, crappy, sucky, shetty, horrible, awful, mindnumbing, asinine, bad, terrible, horrific, craptastic, silly, unnecessary, stupid, terrifying, et cetera, et cetera.

*headdesk*
Something tells me he needs to see some PSAs. I think this fits:

^consider that stolen. God I love Wanda Sykes.

*headdesk*

Fine, fine, I'll give it a rest. I didn't realize it was so offensive, my friends use that phrase all the time.

You'll have to forgive my anger, though. Being one of the worst students in the class and a total loser outside academics isn't conducive to one's self-esteem.

Fine, fine, I'll give it a rest. I didn't realize it was so offensive, my friends use that phrase all the time.

You'll have to forgive my anger, though. Being one of the worst students in the class and a total loser outside academics isn't conducive to one's self-esteem.
Your friends are homophobic idiots. Nice to see you're keeping up the demeanor to mope, rather than solve the problem.

Reactions: 4 users
I think you overvalue the importance of M1 grades. While it's obviously not necessarily advantageous to perform lower in the preclinical years, I think their importance is hugely overstated by most medical students. Not recommending anyone to purposefully tank of course, but also doubt the sky is falling if you get 70s.

Got about a 65% on my Cardio final, fortunately my other grades will bring me up. Started from the bottom, I'm still here namsayin?

I think this song about sums it up.

Got about a 65% on my Cardio final, fortunately my other grades will bring me up. Started from the bottom, I'm still here namsayin?

I think this song about sums it up.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're tired of hearing about your grades.

Reactions: 2 users
I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're tired of hearing about your grades.

All right, I'll give it a rest then. No grades left in the year though.

I'm just a bit frustrated about the exam today, but I talked to some other peeps, and they shared my frustrations to some extent. If a few questions get thrown out I'll def be fine, prob fine anyways tho.

All right, I'll give it a rest then. No grades left in the year though.

I'm just a bit frustrated about the exam today, but I talked to some other peeps, and they shared my frustrations to some extent. If a few questions get thrown out I'll def be fine, prob fine anyways tho.
Maybe just a little less SDN and more studying and rewriting things?

Me studying cardio with my tutor. Hair color/height/gender are completely accurate.

gaston.jpg

I passed, btw. :)

Me studying cardio with my tutor. Hair color/height/gender are completely accurate.

gaston.jpg

I passed, btw. :)

When you was a lad you ate four dozen eggs
Ev'ry morning to help you get large
And now that you've grown you eat five dozen eggs
So you're roughly the size of a barge!

congrats, btw.

Arkengloid how is your anatomy, have you passed?

Arkengloid how is your anatomy, have you passed?

Exam next Friday, going ham now that school is over. I will beast this **** or I will die in the attempt.

When you was a lad you ate four dozen eggs
Ev'ry morning to help you get large
And now that you've grown you eat five dozen eggs
So you're roughly the size of a barge!

congrats, btw.

Speaking of which,

Oh, fun fact. According to the game developers, the Duelist, the dude in my avatar, was written to be based on Gaston, down to the red shirt, black hair, womanizing, and self-aggrandizement. Also I guess that explains why he sits exactly opposite the Intelligence side of the skill tree.

you'll do fine, or die trying son

Speaking of which,

Oh, fun fact. According to the game developers, the Duelist, the dude in my avatar, was written to be based on Gaston, down to the red shirt, black hair, womanizing, and self-aggrandizement. Also I guess that explains why he sits exactly opposite the Intelligence side of the skill tree.

Solid.

Oh, and one last thing before I go back to Pharynx: Speaking of eggs, I think I once got dysuria after eating undercooked egg-related stuff.

I once played the witch in path of exile, then I thought, hell no, what the hell am I doing, I'd rather be doing crack cocaine than spending more time on this.

I once played the witch in path of exile, then I thought, hell no, what the hell am I doing, I'd rather be doing crack cocaine than spending more time on this.

The game is a bit grindy and the start is kinda boring, but I think there are plenty of builds that a casual player can do fairly easily. I don't play much anymore though, ARPGs aren't my cup of tea.

Tomorrow's the day!

But I changed my title to MS2 already because I'm just that sure I'll beast this ish.

Tomorrow's the day!

But I changed my title to MS2 already because I'm just that sure I'll beast this ish.

Hey Arkangeloid, have you found that you have had enough time to exercise, sleep, etc. despite initially struggling a bit with classes? Also are most students, who struggle initially, able to turn it around as the year progresses? Hope you do well on your exams

Hey Arkangeloid, have you found that you have had enough time to exercise, sleep, etc. despite initially struggling a bit with classes? Also are most students, who struggle initially, able to turn it around as the year progresses? Hope you do well on your exams

I sleep ok, haven't exercised in a bit cause of some tendinitis but I found time to do so over the year, I think most students manage to turn it around.

You caught dysuria from an egg?

You caught dysuria from an egg?

It was from an infection, but I think I may have ate some crappy undercooked egg-related ish.

In any case, this one's for all the marbles. By tomorrow, I'll either be an MS-2, or I will likely no longer be a medical student.

It was from an infection, but I think I may have ate some crappy undercooked egg-related ish.

In any case, this one's for all the marbles. By tomorrow, I'll either be an MS-2, or I will likely no longer be a medical student.

youuuuuu can do it! good luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
Nonmarginal pass, I am now an MS2 I guess. Happy, and at the same time scared for STEP1.

Reactions: 6 users