Hurry up and Wait Sucks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of my closest friends is from Newfoundland...and man, does he know how to DRINK!!!

If he doesn't have a beer in his hands or a Tim Horton's coffee in his hand (to recover from his hangover), then there's something wrong with him...lol

Members don't see this ad.

Happy Holidays to all those playing the waiting game!

Only 3-4 more months and we'll have lots of reasons to celebrate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am in the waiting category. It does suck. I applied last year. Got onto resevre at UCD but did not make it in. Closest I've yet come. I am hoping this year will work out.

I am re-taking my MCAT as my biological science score is the likely culprit in my previous demise. I hadn't taken any biology or organic chem/biochem courses for 8-10 years when I approached the MCAT and due to an unforseen circumstance didn't have alot of time in the run up to the exam to prepare. Overall I had a decent score (30) but my biosci was lacking (7). I know the April MCAT won't help for early entrance but if I am waitlisted again, a late but decent score would help I think.

I am also a non-traditional applicant. I had given up on getting in to med schools after my first year of university and had then spent the remaining years of my degree doing material I had little passion for and waiting for the next good day on local white-water or surf. I also have a slight learning disability that has kept my GPA from the levels I would need at home in Canada.

I wish I had explored other options like this years ago but I can't say I haven't enjoyed the last while. I have guided sea-kayak trips in BC and Mexico and worked in environmental consulting. Throughout the whole time I couldn't shake the medicine bug though. Physician clients would talk about their jobs and I would be left feeling that I hadn't tried hard enough. Then after being challenged by a musician friend who was trying to make her dream come true in the recording industry to do something about making my own dream come true, I couldn't ignore any longer. So here I am...

I have done a couple of years of courses to add some pre-reqs and also took a couple of masters level coures in health related disciplines. I am working this year and preparing for the MCAT.

Being a non-traditional applicant I too would probably benefiit from having an interview. However, I am heartened by the way I have been treated by the people at the APB. It makes dealing with NA schools seem all that much more difficult. Being treated like a person and not a number is kind of nice.

The only thing that kind of burns me about the potential of studying abroad for several years and maybe not being able to get a residency in Canada is the fact that hockey seems to be regaining some of the excitement it lost over the last few years. I hear the bike touring in Ireland is really good though...

Sounds like you've had some amazing experiences vancan. I'm sure if they come across well in your application (as they did here), you'll make it.

I also think that it's becoming a bit easier to gain residencies in Canada, at least for the programs with vacancies after the first match. I know the Irish schools are well-regarded, and by the time we're finished our degrees, perhaps the red tape will be disappearing.

Best of luck!

It certainly looks like residencies in Canada will be easier to come by after five or six years. A friend of mine doing a rotoation in Halifax just ran into an Irish grad doing his residency there. There is certainly lots of talk about opening more spots in BC for FMGs.

Happy Holidays...

Hey guys,

I also applied to Ireland via ABP,

Though I was just wondering, are all of you guys applying for the 5 year program?

I'm from Halifax too :laugh:

Hey :)

I applied to 5 year at Trinity and UCD. I havent written the MCAT so i can only apply to those 2 ;)

Good luck!

Good luck Mike, I"m pretty sure you'll get in, your life experiences are like :eek: !!!!

Though I"m applying for the 6 year program...cause i'm in high school right now..so my only two options were UCD and RCST.

And i totally agree with you...Waiting till like March/April sucks, but what can you do :sleep:

Alright, it's now Jan. 6. I know the ABP email said responses wouldn't come in until March (I think), but last year some people on this forum found out in early Feb. Any chance the same might happen this year? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part... can't wait any longer!

Is it a first come first serve basis?..

What if your application was realllly good..and u send it way back in like..September....Do you think you would hear back early?

Sorry, but I don't think so. I don't think the applications (all of them) get to Ireland until right about now. I don't know where I read that though, probably some post.

when i talked to the ABP guy he said the apps are sent in january. The admissions people dont even begin to look at them until end of jan. There is always the chance you might hear early but on average, its around march.

Im sick of waiting already, its like my life is on hold :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Boy was I out of the loop! I didn't even apply untill March (not having learned about the ABP until January) and assumed that was the regular application deadline (though I wondered how/why they reviewed applications and did the whole thing so late). Sheesh.

(1) When does Atlantic Bridge require your application to be filed for fall 2006?

(2) When do they notify you of the result?

Technically the deadline was Nov. 15, 2005, but apparently you can submit after the deadline (although it works against you). As far as hearing back results, I think it is starting in March, and could be as late as September.

Mike MacKinnon said:
when i talked to the ABP guy he said the apps are sent in january. The admissions people dont even begin to look at them until end of jan. There is always the chance you might hear early but on average, its around march.

Im sick of waiting already, its like my life is on hold :p

Its true, its like your life is on hold...More like your career is on the line.
Gahhh...I hate the wait..

Anyone else here applying for the 6 year program?

Update:

Ok got rejections fron Kings and Leichester (sp) in england. I had actually expected that since they often take 10 (or less) per school in the UK.

Hoping for Ireland!

No word on this end, (no MCAT so I did not apply to RCSI). The next month or so should be very interesting...

My friend (in UCD now)..Applied two years ago..and he didn't hear back till April (in the Mail).......I hope we get to hear back earlier..I"m dying.

Yup

It is weird for me. I am accomplished in my current profession. Im lucky, I have an A-Type personality and this has caused me to excel. All of the sudden I feel like i did in high school when i was waiting for the first acceptance to university. What a weird feeling that is.

Well, March is the earliest. I just got an app from Galway in the mail today. They only take 5-10 students and my only chance would be the 6 year program, which isnt worth it financially for me. I can easily get all the pre reqs done and the MCAT over the next year at a much lower cost while im making money here in the USA.

Yeah, this waiting around is brutal. But it's not just waiting either, there is now preparing for interviews. I feel like this whole med school admissions process NEVER ends. I'll put the effort into it because I want it badly enough. All I'm saying though is that I'm getting a little tired, and can't wait for the day when I have the answer in my hands (well, if it's positive). I am starting to believe in my chances a little bit though, which is scary because I don't want to get disappointed.

too true

I am in a place, as a married 32 y/o guy (no kids), that I have to consider my wife in all decisions. We are both saving as much money as we can and minimizing debt as much as possible "just in case" i get into Ireland this year. It can be quite stressful, espeically for her since she isnt the one going to school. She is very supportive but it would be hard to be in her shoes i think. In anycase, if i dont get into Ireland it makes planning easier for us since i'd basically have another whole year to wait.

Who Knows. I just seem to think about it everyday even when i think the chances are dismal. Weird isnt it?

Hang in there Mike. If it's any consolation, I was in your shoes all too recently. Waiting and not knowing, dragging my wife (and daughter) along through the uncertainty, selling our farm before I had an acceptance (because we had to risk it based on timing and the alternative if we went to Ireland but didn't have it sold)... you get the picture. Easy to say from hindsight but have faith and make your plans. Now the ultimate faith required is in the Irish medical system (from the inside out) since our second child was due this past Monday...waiting...waiting...waiting....

Unch said:
Hang in there Mike. If it's any consolation, I was in your shoes all too recently. Waiting and not knowing, dragging my wife (and daughter) along through the uncertainty, selling our farm before I had an acceptance (because we had to risk it based on timing and the alternative if we went to Ireland but didn't have it sold)... you get the picture. Easy to say from hindsight but have faith and make your plans. Now the ultimate faith required is in the Irish medical system (from the inside out) since our second child was due this past Monday...waiting...waiting...waiting....
unch

Too True. Its all a crap shoot isnt it ;) The only thing that is rough about this process is having nothing to benchmark what Irish schools are looking for against. From one successful applicant to the next there are no standards. Some with low GPA, no MCAT and alot of experience, others with High MCAT high GPA and still others in the middle. There is no way to know what your chances are at all.

In one way this is a redeeming quality as it gives all of us hope without the stellar stats (everyone hears about the guy who got in to a school who never had a chance)! I'm excited for the oppertunity to apply and learn from it if nothing else. Ill be that much better in the next app cycle for Ireland.

Ive sortof decided to give it 2 rounds. This year and next, then I may stop trying for Ireland and consider if it is smarter to stay in the US for med school (ill be done the MCAT at that point). It would be hard (as much as i love the idea of moving to Ireland) to justify taking a 5 year program there when I can take a 4 year here. That is alot to as of your wife i think.

Will they notify you by phone or email first? I didn't opt for the courier service so it'll be tight getting everything ready for the 1 week deadline.

I did the Atlantic Bridge app in November and really tried to push it to the back of my mind so that I wouldn't start stressing about when I'll hear anything, what I'll hear, etc. Now that it's late January, I find myself thinking about it every day. I got the Galway app a few days ago and just sent it back today.

Fingers crossed for something positive..........

:)

Still no word eh?

I wonder how it is some already got interviews lined up with RSCI and so many havent even heard a thing.

Anyone else hear anything at all?

good luck & all the best to all of you!! I've been accepted and will be going to RCSI in October :) see you all there!

Porkchop... how was the interview?

VanCoover said:
Porkchop... how was the interview?

the interview was good. i was interviewed by 3 people and they were all nice although they looked pretty stern to me! :scared: they asked the usual questions of what makes you think you wil be a good doctor, what makes a good doctor, howdo you think you are prepared for med school etc. they also asked me what i thought about women in medicine and whether they should increase or decrease the number of females in their intake...i hate those sort of questions,lol!! at the end of the interview, I had to ask them to expedite my application because before I went for the interview i already received an offer from another institution...so one of them said, "i'm sureyou know the outcome by now :)"

i hear the Atlantic Bridge interviews are next week? Good luck everyone :luck: ....to those applying to RCSI and need some help, pvt msg me or something, I'll help with whatever I can

porkchop said:
i hear the Atlantic Bridge interviews are next week?

I assume yourtalking about the RCSI Atlantic bridge interviews? not UCD right?

and congrats on your acceptance! Good luck in the future ;)

Well here we are.

Still waiting and wondering!! Geez its frustrating isnt it? I assume we have about a month left before we begin to hear anything. Time is ticking!

I wonder if the new rules for Ireland med school that were proposed in regards to decreasing international slots will affect us this year?

I've got a few schools on my plate right now (going through interviews and whatnot), so the wait doesn't seem all that bad right now. Once word gets around that letters are coming out, I'm sure I'll be a bundle of nerves.

Will be very glad when this is all over. It's like we're on trial or something, waiting for a verdict.

ronin13 said:
I've got a few schools on my plate right now (going through interviews and whatnot), so the wait doesn't seem all that bad right now. Once word gets around that letters are coming out, I'm sure I'll be a bundle of nerves.

Will be very glad when this is all over. It's like we're on trial or something, waiting for a verdict.

Hey ronin,

just wondering where your interviewing at?

I'm interviewing at Memorial and NOSM. Still waiting to hear from U of T, but am not expecting much from them.