Hurry up and Wait Sucks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mike MacKinnon

Hmm. So the app is in and all i do is wonder everyday what my chances are. It is pretty frustrating. Should I be getting ready to go? Planning to stay? I dont have a clue. There is so little information on entrance stats for the ABP program that there is no way to even guess.

*sigh*

Only have to wait till march i guess :rolleyes:

*cry*

hehe

have a good one all! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Well, no one else seems to be posting here lately so I'll keep going! Seen lots of your progress threads, Mike, so we're all hoping for you. I, for one, believe that if you really want it, it somehow happens. When my applications were in (staggered), I had little substantial details to go on in terms of my absolute confidence/specific info but I went ahead and put my employer on alert, put my farm on the market, sold the tractors and horses-- stuff that would have been very hard to do at the last minute. I just had to believe that I'd get a chance somewhere. Did you send everything you could possibly think of to Atlantic Bridge? (Bio or CV, letters, list of pubs etc...) The ABP is somuch more personal and informal than a lot of NAmerican "adcoms" (I know it's not an adcom) so you can continue to send stuff in later as you think of it or create it. Even though there's a "deadline" of April 30(?), I still sent some marks on summer coursework later and it not only was allowed but made the difference in the end. Have faith. You're golden!

I know what you mean Mike, it's just a waiting game at this point (and a long one to boot). Something tells me that your patience will pay off, you've had a pretty great career so far (from what I've read) and that's sure to work to your advantage. Hopefully we'll both be in Ireland this time next year.

Is there anyone else giving it a go this year? It's always good to get to know your potential future classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat as you guys, hopefully we will all hear some good news in a few months!!!!!

hehe

Woohoo now we have our own support group!

When i talked to Mr Keenan he did mention to continue sending in my marks while im taking more classes. Im finishing up bio one now and start bio 2 in january. I find the classes easy so i should do well (currently an A). I am also considering a math class in january but it all depends!

Thanks guys! I hope we all meet for a congradulatory beer in dublin!

Keep the chattin going!

Mike MacKinnon said:
hehe

Woohoo now we have our own support group!

When i talked to Mr Keenan he did mention to continue sending in my marks while im taking more classes. Im finishing up bio one now and start bio 2 in january. I find the classes easy so i should do well (currently an A). I am also considering a math class in january but it all depends!

Thanks guys! I hope we all meet for a congradulatory beer in dublin!

Keep the chattin going!

You could always consider taking a statistics course. Personally, I've always found them incredibly easy, and med schools (at least in Canada) seem to like it if you have some experience with stats. Probably has to do with competency in research methods.

I'm thinking about taking a microbiology or pharmacology course myself, but am trying not to put too much on my plate. Maybe I should just enjoy my time with no homework...

Cansnowflake...I assume you're from Canada, have you applied to any of the schools here?

Hi Ronin13,
I am from Canada, but I was born in Ireland (moved away when I was 2, so I don't make the EU citizen category :( ). I have applied to a few schools here, but my first choice would be Ireland, because I have always wanted to go back! Plus I have alot of family friends in and around Dublin so I wouldn't be alone. I have never done the application wait period before..... it will be a long few months!

and go for the math class Mike.... they are much more fun than boring memorization!

-csf

hi. guys keep your hopes up. and keep preparing for the course in every possible way but don't screw up doing it. if you have time and energy, see if you can fit in anatomy course or biochem. these will help you initially that way you won't have to worry about missing any parties on the expense of studying for the above courses. plus i have seen in my classes that lot of students don't have background in biochem which makes it very difficult for them because from my experience uptil now (3 weeks in total), we already covered lot of material which took at least 6 weeks to do. so think about it.

hang in there.
dublin's a great city and i am loving every minute of it.

navincal said:
hi. guys keep your hopes up. and keep preparing for the course in every possible way but don't screw up doing it. if you have time and energy, see if you can fit in anatomy course or biochem. these will help you initially that way you won't have to worry about missing any parties on the expense of studying for the above courses. plus i have seen in my classes that lot of students don't have background in biochem which makes it very difficult for them because from my experience uptil now (3 weeks in total), we already covered lot of material which took at least 6 weeks to do. so think about it.

hang in there.
dublin's a great city and i am loving every minute of it.
Good advice

Im lucky in that my nursing degree was a science degree program. I have already done biochem, pathophysiology, anatomy (cadaver), physiology, pharm. and assessment. Alot of these things will help me more in clinical years than the beggining (expecially since some of the acedemics were 8 years ago). But it looks good on the resume :)

cansnowflake said:
Hi Ronin13,
I am from Canada, but I was born in Ireland (moved away when I was 2, so I don't make the EU citizen category :( ). I have applied to a few schools here, but my first choice would be Ireland, because I have always wanted to go back! Plus I have alot of family friends in and around Dublin so I wouldn't be alone. I have never done the application wait period before..... it will be a long few months!

That sounds like a great situation for you, too bad you don't qualify as an EU citizen!

If it wasn't so bloody hard to get back into Canada as an IMG, Ireland (specifically, Trinity) would be my first choice.

Anyone else lurking around? Are we the only 3 people who've applied? If so, I like our chances...

Hello all,

This is my first post here; what can I say, I share in the anxiety expressed by this thread, so I had to write something. This is my first time applying, to any medical school as a matter of fact, and I can't wait to get an answer (well, if it's a positive one). I really wish the Irish schools were a bit clearer about what will get you in and what won't, but I guess then they wouldn't really be considering your application "as whole". Anyway, good luck to all.

Hi everyone,

I am also in the process of applying via ABP. I've posted on this forum a couple of other times, but have mostly been reading.

A couple of my LORS should be there by now, along with my transcripts. I need to put the finishing touches on my personal statement (I'm having a hard time w/ the 2-page limit), take a couple of passport photos, and then I'm good to go.

I'm also an Irish citizen. Moved to Tennessee at the age of 10 and now live in Chicago. I've wanted to move back for a long time, and this is as good an opportunity as any. Most of my (50) cousins are still in Ireland, as well as childhood friends, etc. I have the feeling that my chances of admission are about 50/50 so I don't want to get too excited about the possibility. I am also taking science classes here for hopeful U.S. admission in a couple of years if Ireland doesn't work out.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
So we're up to 5 people, good stuff!

I suppose that's the best and worst part of applying to Atlantic Bridge. You know they'll look at your whole application, and you always have a chance. But on the other hand, you don't know if you should get your hopes up (at least if you're aware that you barely meet the cutoffs, you can be prepared for a rejection).

Chicagoml, the fact that your family could populate a small town is pretty impressive. I'm from a large Irish Catholic family myself, and can understand the attraction to being close to home. Best of luck!

Thanks Ronin!

I am trying to keep as many doors as possible open......since I'm really not sure where this will all go at this point. I've researched post-bacc programs, the Caribbean, Ireland, DO schools, doing the pre-med courses myself, etc. etc. There are so many choices. I know I can't be impatient in the process, but would love to have a crystal ball to look out just 12 months!

Anyway, good luck to everyone out here!

I am also applying... just sent everything in this morning. I grew up in NYC, but spent every summer in Ireland when I was younger. My family does populate a small town....
I have been meaning to apply for my citizenship for the last few years, but my sister and I have been lazy, so I am also though ABP.
I have a question, does anyone know how many people acutally apply though ABP? I know they take around 130 ppl, but I was curious how large the applicant pool is.
good luck everyone!
-cbt

Its so weird not to have any more applications to do.... I feel like I should be writing more essays about why I would be a good doctor....
Best of luck everyone!

I'm surprisingly good at cranking out those essays now. Too bad it's a useless skill (outside of med applications).

If Atlantic Bridge accepts 130 people, and they say that about 1 in 10 are accepted (no idea where that stat came from, it's just kind of floating around), I guess that means there's somewhere around 1300 applications from North American Students.

A lot of wannabe doctors out there.

ChicagoML, I too am having trouble with the 2-page limit. I'm at 3 pages right now, don't really know what else to cut out.

Out of the five here that are applying, who considers the Irish schools their first choice? I imagine a lot of people just apply as a back up, get accepted, but end up turning it down because they get in somewhere else. For me, it is my first choice.

By the way, is RCSI's reputation not as good as the other schools? Is it well-founded?

Thanks

Good luck to everyone applying to Ireland; my brother's in 1st year in TCD and he's loving it. Apparently the Faculty of Medicine treat the students to a slap up meal in one of the old college halls during the first few weeks... it sounds really great there! On the negative side he's 9-5 every day, which is a far cry from the 12 hours a week I had in 1st med in Glasgow. Heh-heh; gotta love PBL!

chicagoml said:
I'm also an Irish citizen. Moved to Tennessee at the age of 10 and now live in Chicago. I've wanted to move back for a long time, and this is as good an opportunity as any. Most of my (50) cousins are still in Ireland, as well as childhood friends, etc. I have the feeling that my chances of admission are about 50/50 so I don't want to get too excited about the possibility. I am also taking science classes here for hopeful U.S. admission in a couple of years if Ireland doesn't work out.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I though if you were an Irish citizen you had to apply through the CAO rather than the ABP? I thought the ABP was only for international students?

dlformiga1 said:
By the way, is RCSI's reputation not as good as the other schools? Is it well-founded?

RCSI's reputation is quite good abroad, but that's probably because they copped onto the idea of marketing themselves before the other schools, so naturally they're the best at selling themselves. In Ireland RCSI isn't considered to be as good as TCD or UCD; basically people tend to look down at it (with some justification) as being an international medical school for rich Arab kids that weren't good enough to get in anywhere else. I will say this in favour about RCSI: AFAIK its teaching in anatomy is the best in the country.

dlformiga1 said:
I really wish the Irish schools were a bit clearer about what will get you in and what won't, but I guess then they wouldn't really be considering your application "as whole". Anyway, good luck to all.

Be careful what you wish for. Believe me, it's far, far better for you than the Irish students. I'd take the ambiguity of the ABP admissions process any day over the brutal, ruthless & inept points system Irish students are subjugated too. Be thankful you're being looked at as an individual, not just a list of exam results.

-------

I don't know if it's any help to any of you at this stage, but in order of preference my own choice for Irish medical schools would be:

TCD
UCD
UCC
NUIG
RCSI

Hope this helps if you get multiple offers and you've looking to narrow it down a bit! :)

dr strangelove said:
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I though if you were an Irish citizen you had to apply through the CAO rather than the ABP? I thought the ABP was only for international students?

Is CAO just the normal application process for Irish students? I know for me I did not go to school there or live there long enough to meet the EU/Irish Criteria (or the EU/Irish tuition rates!)

-csf

They consider me international even though I was born there. In order to qualify for Irish citizen tuition, one must live in Ireland or the EU for 3 of the 5 years prior to enrolling in a university.

I can apply to UCG via their admissions office, but the others want ABP programs regardless of country of birth.

Hi everyone!

As someone who has done the application circuit a few times and sat through the long wait, I can sympathize...been there, done that and hated it! It's hard to sit back and wait while you know that your 'fate' lies outside your control. Unfortunately, there's no getting around it. My 'advice' is just to keep on going, keep busy doing the things you love and keep your mind off the "what ifs" and "should have's"...once the application is submitted, you've done your best and second-guessing (or debating your case) just creates more anxiety...trust me, I know! I know it sounds trite and cliched, but people should be enjoying every minute of life...and stressing about hypothetical situations (both good and bad) doesn't constitute true enjoyment, at least to me. You'll have more than enough to stress and fret about once you're in med school! ;)

While waiting can be horrible, it's only as bad as you make it. I actually learned a lot about myself and grew stronger as a person through the experience. My 2 cents on the waiting time: use it to your benefit and not to your detriment. So, congrats on making the decision to apply abroad (which is not an easy one!), good luck with other apps, and have a productive interval between now and getting in--whether it be in taking other courses, self-reflection, spending time with loved ones, or just sleeping in! We're all rooting for you!

chicagoml said:
They consider me international even though I was born there. In order to qualify for Irish citizen tuition, one must live in Ireland or the EU for 3 of the 5 years prior to enrolling in a university.

I can apply to UCG via their admissions office, but the others want ABP programs regardless of country of birth.

Man, that sucks. You're Irish yet they're going to treat you as an international student! Further proof that the system here is screwed up. I wonder what they do for the children of ambassador's that live abroad due to their parent's jobs (who are out representing the country). Sting them for international fees too!?

It's their way of making sure people don't exploit immigration loopholes. I think something like if your grandmother was an irish citizen, you're eligible to get an irish passport and citizenship too. Since so many Americans/Canadians have Irish heritage...if their system wasn't in place, they'd have a lot of north americans claiming citizenship and then using government subsidies to fund their education. But I don't really see why the rule should apply to people who were born here and lived here a few years as kids/teens prior to moving away.

Yeah, I was really hoping for some kind of tuition break since my parents both worked in the country for years......my father as a physician and my mother as a nurse! :)

If I really wanted to, I could move back there to work for 3 years and then apply to schools. I'm not interested in waiting that long though.

And yes, it is relatively easy to establish Irish citizenship......either through an Irish grandparent or marriage. My brother-in-law just got his Irish citizenship. I believe one must be married to an Irish citizen for 5 years before applying, but don't quote me on that.

I've got the Irish Birth certificate, Irish passport, but only residency for two years after birth.... and I agree that three years of living there is too long to wait, so paying the big bucks it is!

This is my first post in this forum - even though I have been reading it for quite some time. It has been so helpful!

I am also an Irish Citizen - born in Dublin and immigrated here with mom and dad when I was 2. However, I spend a lot of time in Ireland since my parents have moved back and I'm still here in Binghamton.

I will graduated with a BSN in nursing in May and have applied to Ireland as my first choice for obvious reasons! I have worked over there for the last 2-3 years when I am not at school.

What I was wondering was if being Irish would hurt or help our chances of getting accepted somewhere? This is a "cultural diversity" scheme and it's hard to know what they are looking for. All we can do now is cross our fingers! I'm also thinking that applications recieved by November 15th have a better chance since there seems to be multiple admissions periods....if you don't get in the first time I think you get thrown into the bigger pool. I could be wrong.

binghamtonu said:
What I was wondering was if being Irish would hurt or help our chances of getting accepted somewhere?

That's a good question, though it doesn't apply to me.

I suppose you can look at it two ways;

A) If the Irish schools are really interested in "cultural diversity", it would probably be a disadvantage, since they're just bringing back an Irish ex-pat

B) If the Irish schools are really just interested in your money, then it makes no difference and you are on an even playing field with the rest (perhaps even being ahead of the game, since you have a really good reason for wanting to come back).

I would imagine that the truth lies somewhere in between. Good luck!

Hey All

Just in case any of you were wondering, Im still freaking out wondering what the chances of getting in are. How annoying such an irrational feeling is where there is absolutely no way to know or do anything to find out. Kills me :p

hehehe

Noticed the thread was not moving so i figured id rekindle the support grp :p

Worst support group ever...no coffee, no snacks, no sponsors.

I always thought the whole wait thing wouldn't be so bad, who was I kidding? It sucks!!!!

You know what makes it worse? The lack of interview. With other schools, at least the interview is an intermediary step, but with Atlantic Bridge, you just play the waiting game.

To be honest, I'm hoping I get wait listed (as opposed to immediately accepted), since it will give me time to hear back from Canadian schools. I know that some people get an offer in March, and have 30 days or so to accept (and give their $3,000 deposit), but you don't hear back from schools here until May.

Buuuuuuuuuuut, it's out of our hands now. Nothing you can do except numb the pain with liquor.

yah good point.

In a way i wish there was an interview so i knew where i stood. Also i think the interview is a good thing for ppl like me (non-traditionals).

Hmm... I will numb the pain with liquor... maybe a Keiths!

Ok

Well since we are a little support group why dont we tell everyone what our history is and whats your story?

Hell Im bored so ill start,

I was a Paramedic in Canada then became an RN. I have a degree from Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, its a BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing). I have been an RN for many years now progressing from ICU (CVICU) to ER then on various trauma teams. I moved down to the USA in Arizona specifically to work on some Trauma teams here and become a flight Nurse.

I spend alot of time doing education for paramedics, nurses and physicians. I teach basically every class that exists such as ACLS, PALS, BLS, ATLS, ATCN, TNCC, FNATC, 12 lead EKG Basic and Advanced, Hemodynamics, IABP (balloon pump), EMT class and paramedic classes. I also teach all the new hire flight RN's how to do chest tubes, central lines, intubate etc on cadavers. Teaching is a passion, its alot of fun and i learn more that way for sure.

Currently I work in Arizona as a flight nurse on helicopters. We do an advanced scope of practice including Chest Tubes, Rapid Sequence Intubation and central lines. I carry about 50 drugs which I give at my disgression. I have been involved in alot of research projects as well as published in a few journals to date. It is really this independant practice model which made me decide to goto medical school.

Since i decided to persue medical school I took stock of where i was educationally. 3.1 GPA and missing a few of the classes i needed for admission. I have since taken Chem I & II and am now finishing Bio I and will start Bio II in january. Obviously not done physics or O Chem yet.

I decided to look into medical school in Ireland initially for 3 reasons.

1) Didnt need the MCAT for 2 schools
2) Didnt need all the same pre reqs for med school needed
3) They take non traditionals with experience into account in admission.

Since then i have done alot of talking to current and past Irish school med students Including some physicians i have been working with for years. Not only did they have good things to say about the schools, but also the country and the culture itself.

I am lucky enough to have a great wife who is also an RN. She is very supportive. When I start medical school she will be taking care of the general living expenses, a big responsibility load off my shoulders for sure. Also, if I do goto Ireland she can travel nurse over there which will get us a flat for free (part of the travel nurse contract stuff). We have been lucky enough to buy a house in an area where the value has almost tripled in the last 2 years. This will make the cost of med school much more manageable as I will have 2 years paid for in cash right off the bat (plus 20K orso in the bank for emergencies).

Anywho, thats my story. I often wonder just how much they take experience into account in Ireland schools. Sometimes I think it cannot be too substantial since they dont even do a phone interview to get more information about the individual. I cannot see how the app given them enough to judge someones experience or potential for success. Then, who knows, the mysteries of admissions are.... well.... a mystery to me!

I wish everyone here luck. I have decided not to apply to any other medical schools even when i finish all the reqs for US schools. I am only interested in going to Europe. I hope we all get to toast each other next september!

Are you a native Nova Scotian Mike? I actually went to school at Acadia, and my brother's at Dal right now.

Small world.

Cool. I'm from Nova Scotia myself, grew up in Sudney, went to Mount A in New Brunswick, then worked in Halifax for years before taking the plung into med school. Hope you both get in - there are far too few east coasters out here right now, mostly people from Ontario or BC really. Good luck to you both.
As for experience, they are looking for people with diverse backgrounds at UCC. I got accepted, I;ve been told, because of my BA in Medieval Studies and my odd hobbies (glass work, gardening, painting, brewing, and archery, among others). It seemed like an odd reason to me, but I'm not complaining, since it got me in. Cheers,
Med3 now, UCC

ronin13 said:
Are you a native Nova Scotian Mike? I actually went to school at Acadia, and my brother's at Dal right now.

Small world.

Wow

Well, I grew up in New Waterford, Cape Breton Island (NS). I then moved to Halifax area and went to university at St Marys then Dalhousie! Cool to meet you both!

I hope we do get in and meet you med2UCC. Im not very competitve this year but maybe next Ill have a better chance! In anycase, you should still be there!

Mike, I think you should stop saying that you're not competitive this year. You have great & interesting life experiences, research and you seem to be a driven person which I'm sure would have carried through in your PS. I think you've got a good chance, so don't put yourself down!

Hey Leorl

Your a sweetie :)

I think a large part of it is that i havent taken physics or O chem and of course, no MCAT. That and a GPA which isnt 3.7+ :). In alot of ways I think it has become easier for me to assume i wont get in so im not as dissappointed if i dont.

I really do hope ill get in but with nothing to compare to I find myself being careful not to hope too much! Sounds crazy huh? It seems so much more clear cut in the US schools, you sortof know exactly where you stand because of the general admissions information.

Thanks though Leorl, its nice to have positive feedback! You have been very helpful to everyone, including myself on this list. Thanks again!

Sheesh Mike, I might be in med school now but i'll have to wait at least a couple of years yet before getting to do central lines and chest tubes (not to mention the 50+ pharmacopia that you're weilding). I can't imagine that the Irish schools won't be rightfully impressed with your work experience.

See you in Dublin (or in Cork when you get around to visiting down here).
Me too Canadian, eh?

Thanks Unch! Hope to see u too, Cork looks awesome but had an MCAT req. so i only applied to UCD and Trinity ;)

Mike, you will be a great person to have around when Clinicals start! I expect there will be a long line of people waiting to get help from you. Be positive, you sound like a very good candidate! I am also a Canadian. (sadly, I am not from the East Coast though....)
Best of luck!
csf

hey Cansnowflake

Thanks for the positive words. I must admitt, i have felt alot of positivity from this forum. thanks again!

Mike MacKinnon said:
hey Cansnowflake

Thanks for the positive words. I must admitt, i have felt alot of positivity from this forum. thanks again!

Hey Mike,

All I can after reading your post about your experiences is...WOW...not only do you have relevant experince, but you are a well rounded candidate...Good Luck.

I, too, am a Canadian...I was born and raised in Ontario...I am currently studying at McMaster University. I applied to UCD, Trinity, and RCSI. Right now, I wouldn't mind getting into ANY school, as would be the case with anyone on this forum.

I hope we all get in next year!!! It would be awesome going to the pubs with all of you, talking about hockey, and saying "eh" to each other...lol

Good luck to all.

-- aks47

aks47 said:
Hey Mike,

All I can after reading your post about your experiences is...WOW...not only do you have relevant experince, but you are a well rounded candidate...Good Luck.

I, too, am a Canadian...I was born and raised in Ontario...I am currently studying at McMaster University. I applied to UCD, Trinity, and RCSI. Right now, I wouldn't mind getting into ANY school, as would be the case with anyone on this forum.

I hope we all get in next year!!! It would be awesome going to the pubs with all of you, talking about hockey, and saying "eh" to each other...lol

Good luck to all.

-- aks47
I totally agree

I would go to any of them in Ireland. The experiences I have will be helpful to me in the clinical years for sure. I guess one of the reasons I am so, well i guess its negative, about admissions is my experience with USA admissions people.

When i first started looking into medicine (about a year ago), I went to a couple of admissions people at local med schools to see what i needed to do. I had hoped that my past would give me some sortof edge.

To make a long story short, let me sum up for you what multiple school admissions said:

"You experiences are great but have absolutely nothing to do with the admissions process. Without bringing the GPA up to a respectable 3.5+ and attaining a 27+ MCAT your chances are non-existant for admission."

Yes one said "respectable 3.5+".

Needless to say that left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. Then i started researching Ireland and saw a whole different way to learn medicine which was less biased (at least to the NA students) when it came to grades v experience.

Bah, to hell with the stodgy North American admissions process. I'll echo everyone else here and say that you're a stellar applicant. Hope we're colleagues some day!

And it's amazing to see all of you east coasters. I'm originally from Newfoundland, so we'll certainly have to meet up in IE (along with any other Canadians, and anyone who's interested in getting p*ssed)

ronin13 said:
Bah, to hell with the stodgy North American admissions process. I'll echo everyone else here and say that you're a stellar applicant. Hope we're colleagues some day!

And it's amazing to see all of you east coasters. I'm originally from Newfoundland, so we'll certainly have to meet up in IE (along with any other Canadians, and anyone who's interested in getting p*ssed)

LOL...I'm up for that ANYTIME in Dublin