Low(2.8) nuclear engineering GPA.Would a high MCAT make up for this??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a low GPA around a 2.8. But my major was Nuclear Engineering and was very difficult and I went to a top 4 engineering School in the United States.

Even with a high MCAT like 32+ would I still even be considered for an Irish/UK school?

Even if I did 60 hours of post-bacc and got a 4.0 my GPA would be 3.18:(

Am I finished? Do I even have a chance? Any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks if you read this

Members don't see this ad.

I have a low GPA around a 2.8. But my major was Nuclear Engineering and was very difficult and I went to a top 4 engineering School in the United States.

Even with a high MCAT like 32+ would I still even be considered for an Irish/UK school?

Even if I did 60 hours of post-bacc and got a 4.0 my GPA would be 3.18:(

Am I finished? Do I even have a chance? Any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks if you read this

The UK? No. The UK is not an easy option, if you can't get in at home, you can't get in here. The Americans that come to the UK do so to save time, as in they can come straight from school, but they will have the stats that would have them on the path of being an excellent applicant at home.

Dang. What about other places like ireland? Would a good MCAT score sway things?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you interested in Irish schools for any reason other than your belief they admit students with subpar academics?

Look you do not need to hate. If you went to my school you would find my GPA the avg amongst my graduating class. At a top 10 engineering school in the world and a top 20 school overall in the world.

Not all GPA's are created equal and not all major's are created equal and not all schools are created equal.

No offense but I am sure while you were partying and drinking friday nights I was the one busting ass on impossible homework

You're up to two glaring misconceptions. Try to minimize them.

No harm in applying. Take a look under the GPA section on the Atlantic Bridge Program website. They don't look at one aspect of your application, they look at everything combined (gpa, personal statement, reference letters, etc). There are people that initially did engineering but are now studying medicine in Ireland. Just gotta believe in yourself and dont give up.

No harm in applying. Take a look under the GPA section on the Atlantic Bridge Program website. They don't look at one aspect of your application, they look at everything combined (gpa, personal statement, reference letters, etc). There are people that initially did engineering but are now studying medicine in Ireland. Just gotta believe in yourself and dont give up.

This was what I found digging on the forums about gpa

The director told me there was a range of 24-38 on the MCAT...
Here was is actual responce to my questions:
Only The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland requires students to present themselves for interview. You are eligible to be interviewed during the second cycle which will be conducted in May/June.

Applicants are not considered on the bases of the GPA and MCAT scores alone. A number of other criteria are involved.

As (i) the GPA system is not used in Ireland (ii) some applicants will have attended more competitive schools than others (iii) some applicants will have*pursued more difficult degrees/coursework than others (iv) Canadian and US scholls use various grading systems other than GPAs, we do not keep statistics on GPAs.

I can advise you that applicants who presented MCAT scores of 24-38 received conditional or unconditional offers of admission last year. This range varies from year to year according to the applicant pool and should not, therefore, be used to estimate an applicant's chances of selection.

Sincerely,

Louis D. Keenan, Admissions Officer
The Atlantic Bridge Program
3419 Via Lido, Suite 629
Newport Beach, CA 92663
Email: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]

This was from 2005.

This was what I found digging on the forums about gpa

The director told me there was a range of 24-38 on the MCAT...
Here was is actual responce to my questions:
Only The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland requires students to present themselves for interview. You are eligible to be interviewed during the second cycle which will be conducted in May/June.

Applicants are not considered on the bases of the GPA and MCAT scores alone. A number of other criteria are involved.

As (i) the GPA system is not used in Ireland (ii) some applicants will have attended more competitive schools than others (iii) some applicants will have*pursued more difficult degrees/coursework than others (iv) Canadian and US scholls use various grading systems other than GPAs, we do not keep statistics on GPAs.

I can advise you that applicants who presented MCAT scores of 24-38 received conditional or unconditional offers of admission last year. This range varies from year to year according to the applicant pool and should not, therefore, be used to estimate an applicant's chances of selection.

Sincerely,

Louis D. Keenan, Admissions Officer
The Atlantic Bridge Program
3419 Via Lido, Suite 629
Newport Beach, CA 92663
Email: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]

This was from 2005.

I think you have a shot at applying. I would recommend applying to Ireland though over the UK just because I am assuming you want to end up in the U.S to practice and there are just more people in your situation in Ireland. This would make the whole process easier because it is a very difficult process trying to apply back to the U.S.

I was looking over a freedom of information request for the admissions at my medical school and i was very surprised at the huge range of UKCAT scores. So I'm sure its possible for all types of people to get in. Have you thought of doing a masters degree then applying? That might help out your GPA so you can apply in the U.S?

I would put Ireland over the Caribbean just because Irish grads match very well and avoid the "failed to get into med school" reputation that the Caribbean has.

It would be tough to get a masters degree in nuclear engineering. I do not have the pre'reqs for bio masters

Was thinking about doing a post-bacc and trying to get a 4.0

It would be tough to get a masters degree in nuclear engineering. I do not have the pre'reqs for bio masters

Was thinking about doing a post-bacc and trying to get a 4.0

Well, a 3.18 would be better for Irish schools than a 2.8. However, i'm guessing it is difficult to get a 4.0 as well so you likely won't have that high. You should still apply to Irish schools, you would have a chance with a strong MCAT.