How long do I have to wait for the IMC registration ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yukichan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Belgian junior doctor and I want to work in Ireland (a beautiful country:luck:). My application was sent to the Medical Council of Ireland in the end of February of 2011 and since then... ... ... I'm waiting for my registration.
I am so tired of waiting and getting impatient to work over there.

I thought that it was only in Belgium we have some problems with the administration.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends . Did IMC send you letter that have received your application ?

Yes, IMC did and it said I have to wait 6-8 weeks. It's about the time but I still don't have any confirmation of my registration.

Why does it take so long ?
When you said "it depends", what do you mean by that ?

I know life is not easy in Ireland but I have enough being a jobless doctor in Belgium.

Members don't see this ad :)
well I know one doctor waited 8 weeks, But I think you will get it this week or next one for sure.
No place for worries.
Enjoy the time off :)

PS,Anyway, How is it in Belgum for Doctors, ?

Thanks for your replies, Haus.

In Belgium, life is not easy for doctors (like most everywhere). Last year, I did my one year and a half internship and got no paid at all (apart some sandwiches when I was on call). Moreover, I had final exams every 2-4 months.

Residency is terrible here because :
1) you are not paid in overtime (luckily, duties are paid but don't think that they are paid double neither 1,5 times)
2) 50% of income taxes
3) You have to pay your subscription at your university when you begin your new year of residency. (It's not too much, about 800 euros, but I dislike the principle "You have to pay to be allowed to work")
4) long hours (Like everywhere but it hurts when you know you are not paid in overtime)
5) Low salary. The average is 1500 euros for the first year.
6) Bad working conditions (like everywhere)

And so on...

I don't really dislike life in Belgium but I feel being restricted. I wanted to do paeds but I missed my only chance last year (my university allows only twice to sit the "Concours" (Big exam to get specialized). You have one chance to get your specialty and if you missed it, you have to use your last chance with GP otherwise you can't become a doctor at all).

I chose Ireland because I had lots of good experience from my trips over there. Economic conditions are bad for the moment but it doesn't matter me. Even if working conditions are difficult, I feel I can progress in my career, a feeling I don't have at all here, in Belgium.

hello yukichan,
did you received registration from Irish medical council.I am Us citizen and Hungarian graduate.Pass the USMLE exams but did not match. I applied in April waiting for registration. How long you have to wait.I am also interested in Pediatrics.