How to recover from having to repeat a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godsgirl16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I thought I was done with my first year with all of my classes having been As and Bs. However for one particular class, I needed to receive a certain grade on the calculations portion to pass the entire class regardless of the current grade. When I didn’t pass the first time, I had to remediate and try again. To my dismay, I’ve received an email saying I did not meet the requirement and have to go to a student affairs committee. I’m so devastated and don’t know what to do with myself. I’m relatively young (started school at 20), so I don’t know if that caused me to be rash and anxious during the retake. I currently have a hospital job and possibly may continue. My question is what is the implication of this failure and having to repeat a year? I also wanted to do residency but now are my chances ruined?? Please I need advice thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Can’t you remediate over the summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can’t you remediate over the summer?

UF was the same way, there was no summer remediation. Having to repeat a class always meant graduating a year late, although you could take a revised plan of study, you just couldn't take any classes that have the class you failed as a prerequisite. It was actually a little more complicated than that but that is the gist of it as I recall.

OP - I honestly don't know what your chances of residency will be with having to repeat a year. I am not even totally sure if you have to disclose that fact when you attempt to match, although in general honesty is the best policy either way. My strong advice to you though is to not borrow trouble from the future. Focus on how you can improve your calculation abilities/study habits/time management/whatever you have to do to succeed in the future and focus exclusively on that. I am not suggesting you give up on your plan to do a residency, but don't let something that might be a problem 3 years from now distract from what you need to do today to succeed.

Will your school let you keep taking classes in the meantime or what will you do with yourself for the next year?

Reactions: 3 users
UF was the same way, there was no summer remediation. Having to repeat a class always meant graduating a year late, although you could take a revised plan of study, you just couldn't take any classes that have the class you failed as a prerequisite. It was actually a little more complicated than that but that is the gist of it as I recall.

OP - I honestly don't know what your chances of residency will be with having to repeat a year. I am not even totally sure if you have to disclose that fact when you attempt to match, although in general honesty is the best policy either way. My strong advice to you though is to not borrow trouble from the future. Focus on how you can improve your calculation abilities/study habits/time management/whatever you have to do to succeed in the future and focus exclusively on that. I am not suggesting you give up on your plan to do a residency, but don't let something that might be a problem 3 years from now distract from what you need to do today to succeed.

Will your school let you keep taking classes in the meantime or what will you do with yourself for the next year?

"general honesty is the best policy "

Do you really, truly feel that way? I feel like being economically with the truth can be beneficial in most situations. I'm not saying outright lying but only revealing certain parts of the truth to market yourself is the best.

Also if OP failed out for the year I think she will lose all federal funding for a year so she will have to get private loans/have her parent cosign for a loan?

I still have to go to a academic committee so nothing is confirmed. However if I do have to repeat that class and thus repeat the year, what is the best way to utilize my time. I currently have a job but I was thinking of research. I want to be optimistic and make the most of this set back.

Hey guys. So I thought I was done with my first year with all of my classes having been As and Bs. However for one particular class, I needed to receive a certain grade on the calculations portion to pass the entire class regardless of the current grade. When I didn’t pass the first time, I had to remediate and try again. To my dismay, I’ve received an email saying I did not meet the requirement and have to go to a student affairs committee. I’m so devastated and don’t know what to do with myself. I’m relatively young (started school at 20), so I don’t know if that caused me to be rash and anxious during the retake. I currently have a hospital job and possibly may continue. My question is what is the implication of this failure and having to repeat a year? I also wanted to do residency but now are my chances ruined?? Please I need advice thank you.

I think this would be a good time for you to stop and think if pharmacy is that path you want for yourself. The profession is taking a nose-dive. It is not too late to turn around, apply for a BSN, kick @ss, then either move to California and rake in 6 figures to start, or go for your NP.
There are people who get into residency after an academic hiccup. I know someone who had to graduate a year later, and then, got into top PGY-1 & PGY-2 programs. That person was at a TOP top school. You are up there. It's doable. You should take some time to reflect. If calculations are holding you back, then, there is something wrong. There's no advanced calculus or differential equations in pharmacy. So you have to figure out what it is that is not making sense to you. Is it the teaching method? Having to be in class every day? Not having to be in class every day?
Weigh all your options. There is no shame in saying - this is not for me. You are young. You probably didn't take a break in between highschool/college/pharmacy school. So maybe it's time to take that year off, explore your options, see the world. The only loans you have are pharmacy school loans, as your parents paid for your undergraduate degree.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think this would be a good time for you to stop and think if pharmacy is that path you want for yourself. The profession is taking a nose-dive. It is not too late to turn around, apply for a BSN, kick @ss, then either move to California and rake in 6 figures to start, or go for your NP.
There are people who get into residency after an academic hiccup. I know someone who had to graduate a year later, and then, got into top PGY-1 & PGY-2 programs. That person was at a TOP top school. You are up there. It's doable. You should take some time to reflect. If calculations are holding you back, then, there is something wrong. There's no advanced calculus or differential equations in pharmacy. So you have to figure out what it is that is not making sense to you. Is it the teaching method? Having to in class every day? Not having to be in class every day?
Weigh all your options. There is no shame in saying - this is not for me. You are young. You probably didn't take a break in between highschool/college/pharmacy school. So maybe it's time to take that year off and explore your options. The only loans I have are pharmacy school loans, as your parents paid for your undergraduate degree.

Best of luck!

I agree with this assessment. Your student loan debt is still very manageable at this time and there are other medical careers with high demand and competitive pay. You should think about this as an option.

Reactions: 2 users
There are people who get into residency after an academic hiccup. I know someone who had to graduate a year later, and then, got into top PGY-1 & PGY-2 programs. That person was at a TOP top school. You are up there. It's doable. You should take some time to reflect. If calculations are holding you back, then, there is something wrong. There's no advanced calculus or differential equations in pharmacy. So you have to figure out what it is that is not making sense to you. Is it the teaching method? Having to be in class every day? Not having to be in class every day?
Weigh all your options. There is no shame in saying - this is not for me. You are young. You probably didn't take a break in between highschool/college/pharmacy school. So maybe it's time to take that year off, explore your options, see the world. The only loans you have are pharmacy school loans, as your parents paid for your undergraduate degree.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much for your advice. I have confirmed wanted to be a pharmacist since high school and I’m not going to give in that easily. I have in the past thought of other career paths but I don’t think they will be a good fit for me. I understand how saturated the market is, that’s why I’m going to do what I can to network, make connections, and work at my hospital job where I encounter pharmacists, residents, and managers all the time. I don’t think I struggle with calculations like that, I just think at the moment I got cocky because I missed answers like .51 instead of 0.51 and just rounding wrong. So I thought going into remediation I had nothing to worry about but I forgot to prepare adequately for other types of questions and that’s where I blew it.

Thank you so much for your advice. I have confirmed wanted to be a pharmacist since high school and I’m not going to give in that easily. I have in the past thought of other career paths but I don’t think they will be a good fit for me. I understand how saturated the market is, that’s why I’m going to do what I can to network, make connections, and work at my hospital job where I encounter pharmacists, residents, and managers all the time. I don’t think I struggle with calculations like that, I just think at the moment I got cocky because I missed answers like .51 instead of 0.51 and just rounding wrong. So I thought going into remediation I had nothing to worry about but I forgot to prepare adequately for other types of questions and that’s where I blew it.

.51 is an automatic F at my school. You'd get marked down for all the points that question is worth. And in lab, forget it. Truth is life experience has never killed anyone. You are young, have not "needed" a job, and have probably faced no adversity in life. All I am saying is, you failed for a reason. If that's all the reflecting you are willing to do for yourself, on your own career, then be ready to face failure down the line again.
You didn't take remediation seriously and are now facing the consequences. Why did you overestimate your abilities or level of preparation, and entered remediation -your one chance- without preparation? Spend time thinking about that.
Sure, residency programs use grades to weed out people who are unlikely to make it in the program, it is during interviews when they confirm whether you have a spine or not.
We can only go by the words you post on the forum. You swept it all under the rug fast. That won't take you far in pharmacy or in life. Only you know where you want to go. Enough said. All the best.

.51 is an automatic F at my school. You'd get marked down for all the points that question is worth. And in lab, forget it. Truth is life experience has never killed anyone. You are young, have not "needed" a job, and have probably faced no adversity in life. All I am saying is, you failed for a reason. If that's all the reflecting you are willing to do for yourself, on your own career, then be ready to face failure down the line again.
You didn't take remediation seriously and are now facing the consequences. Why did you overestimate your abilities or level of preparation, and entered remediation -your one chance- without preparation? Spend time thinking about that.
Sure, residency programs use grades to weed out people who are unlikely to make it in the program, it is during interviews when they confirm whether you have a spine or not.
We can only go by the words you post on the forum. You swept it all under the rug fast. That won't take you far in pharmacy or in life. Only you know where you want to go. Enough said. All the best.
I’m not a cocky person. In person I’m quiet and humble. I know that’s what you guys may like to assume me as but this whole incident occurred when all my other exams were done with good marks. I guess I had an attitude of me wanting to be done with school for the summer. I know it’s immature and could cost someone’s life if I did that in real practice. I’ve done a lot of reflecting over this past week (and will continue to do so) and I know I will have to bear the consequences of my actions. Right now I want advice on how to move forward with my pharmacy career instead of ppl telling me it’s not right for me (I’m over it). Everyone makes mistakes, some more than others but I believe by God’s grace I can overcome any obstacle. Thank you for your concerns. (PS I did prepare for the remediation but I did not prepare enough. I didn’t do a variety of problems, only specific ones.)