Is pharmacy career recovered? booming?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
heck - lately we can't get qualified pharmacist - anyone want a hospital job? we have 5 openings.
Never thought I’d see the day where this statement would pop up. I suppose the keyword here is “qualified”.

Members don't see this ad.

Never thought I’d see the day where this statement would pop up. I suppose the keyword here is “qualified”.
definitely- plenty of CVS and Walgreens applicants - but not as many as 3-5 years ago. Mostly them and new grads - Virtually nobody with previous hospital experience. The thing is - if you miss out on the new resident grads - you just don't get anyone who has every worked in a hospital before.

Reactions: 1 user
definitely- plenty of CVS and Walgreens applicants - but not as many as 3-5 years ago. Mostly them and new grads - Virtually nobody with previous hospital experience. The thing is - if you miss out on the new resident grads - you just don't get anyone who has every worked in a hospital before.
I wonder if it’s because the seasoned ones are stuck in well paying positions like the posters above?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if it’s because the seasoned ones are stuck in well paying positions like the posters above?
I fall into that category - maxed out PDO, 403b match, and a salary I doubt most places would match - so find it hard to even apply- plus there are three main employers here, and everybody knows everybody, so only want to send out an application that I will either 1. accept 2. if I decline, not planning on applying to them anytime soon. I haven't really applied locally for 7 years, so I might just to see what I get offered.

Yeah....something has changed. I'm starting to get cold calls from recruiters again. Haven't had those for several years...

Reactions: 1 users
our hospital set a minimum salary of $15 for any employee - our techs average low $20's and we still can't keep them - heck - lately we can't get qualified pharmacist - anyone want a hospital job? we have 5 openings.

Sure, hold my beer while I study for the Idaho MPJE

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
One thing I have noticed is change in work attitude post-Covid. Lots of rphs were willing to work extra hours before; but during pandemic majority avoided those shifts because of craziness with vaccines and fear of contracting Covid.

So, now pandemic has passed but people are already used to working less hours and maintaining work-life balance. Hence increase in rph demand.

There is only an increase in RPh demand for retail cause people are sick of the BS working conditions. There is no Rph demand in desirable workplaces.

Reactions: 2 users
There is only an increase in RPh demand for retail cause people are sick of the BS working conditions. There is no Rph demand in desirable workplaces.

Retail pharmacy always had a BS work conditions as far back as I can remember. You can go back and read threads from 15 years ago and honestly not much has changed.

People got bills to pay. They will always be working regardless of conditions.

Retail pharmacy always had a BS work conditions as far back as I can remember. You can go back and read threads from 15 years ago and honestly not much has changed.

People got bills to pay. They will always be working regardless of conditions.

But conditions weren't as bad 15 years ago. They got worse every year. The store I worked at had 3 Rphs at once 15 years ago. By the time I left there was zero overlap.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that’s how a lot of us are.
10 years, at/near max pay, easy job because it’s routine, managers trust you, plenty of pto, close to home etc.

I’ve heard the max rate got bumped at the other hospital but it’s 40-50 more min in the car round trip. So it would make no sense to drive an extra 12 hours/month just got a couple grand more
yup - just having this convo at work about adding incentive pay (currently the incentive for extra shifts is $10 an hour) - I told my manager an extra $10 literally makes zero difference in me wanting to pick up a shift, and honestly, you would probably need to make it at least $25-30 for it to even sway me - either I want to work extra or not, that amount doesn't push me one way or the other.

yup - just having this convo at work about adding incentive pay (currently the incentive for extra shifts is $10 an hour) - I told my manager an extra $10 literally makes zero difference in me wanting to pick up a shift, and honestly, you would probably need to make it at least $25-30 for it to even sway me - either I want to work extra or not, that amount doesn't push me one way or the other.

You're telling me there are hospital jobs that don't pay time and a half for overtime? I guess I'll stop complaining when my boss doesn't pay the double time correctly.

In other news, I've been working 6 day weeks for a month. I am so burnt out. My calculations tell me if I keep doing this for a year, I can retire 18 months sooner.

You're telling me there are hospital jobs that don't pay time and a half for overtime? I guess I'll stop complaining when my boss doesn't pay the double time correctly.

In other news, I've been working 6 day weeks for a month. I am so burnt out. My calculations tell me if I keep doing this for a year, I can retire 18 months sooner.
nope - around here most don't - the joy of being salaried.

Members don't see this ad :)

My old employer, WellStar Health Systems, with over 12 Hospitals in Georgia, actually lobbied the state legislators, to eliminate overtime for pharmacists, RNs, and MDs (residents). Even for hourly employees, and they got it done! NOW, that should be an XXL Red Flag for anyone seeking employment with them. I totally missed that, was with them for 5 years (I am slow, catching on!)
They can even withhold your Federally Mandated PTO, passed another chitty law. They are expert level at screwing their employees.

.My current employer, pays time X 1.5. A major upgrade.

My old employer, WellStar Health Systems, with over 12 Hospitals in Georgia, actually lobbied the state legislators, to eliminate overtime for pharmacists, RNs, and MDs (residents). Even for hourly employees, and they got it done! NOW, that should be an XXL Red Flag for anyone seeking employment with them. I totally missed that, was with them for 5 years (I am slow, catching on!)
They can even withhold your Federally Mandated PTO, passed another chitty law. They are expert level at screwing their employees.

I knew one of their old directors-I could see her doing this....

I find it hard to believe Georgia passed laws that superseded federal overtime laws, and the feds let it stand. Source?

Also, there is no such thing as federally mandated PTO.

I find it hard to believe Georgia passed laws that superseded federal overtime laws, and the feds let it stand. Source?

Also, there is no such thing as federally mandated PTO.
Pharmacists are generally exempt from federal overtime requirements. I don't know of any retail pharmacies in NYS that routinely pay overtime rates (absent extraordinary market pressure/short staffing).

§ 541.301 Learned Professionals fits best IMO but you could probably make a strong argument for others too.

Pharmacists are generally exempt from federal overtime requirements. I don't know of any retail pharmacies in NYS that routinely pay overtime rates (absent extraordinary market pressure/short staffing).

§ 541.301 Learned Professionals fits best IMO but you could probably make a strong argument for others too.
I thought exempt employees had to be paid a salary, and hourly employees (who are not promised a minimum amount of pay per pay period, aka salary) are not exempt.

And are there RNs who are considered exempt? I assume any non a management position, especially paid by the hour with no set schedule, is non exempt, and hence eligible for overtime per federal rules.

I thought exempt employees had to be paid a salary, and hourly employees (who are not promised a minimum amount of pay per pay period, aka salary) are not exempt.

And are there RNs who are considered exempt? I assume any non a management position, especially paid by the hour with no set schedule, is non exempt, and hence eligible for overtime per federal rules.
Pretty easy to get around salary requirements by giving someone a set "salary" at any number of hours then offering extra pay to pick up shifts.

§ 541.604 Minimum guarantee plus extras lays out how that's legal.

Pretty easy to get around salary requirements by giving someone a set "salary" at any number of hours then offering extra pay to pick up shifts.

§ 541.604 Minimum guarantee plus extras lays out how that's legal.
Thanks for the references. I guess I would not have described someone with a salary as an hourly employee.

Certain staff rph starting positions are offering more than what I make as an rph with over decade experience. And I am not talking about cvs/ Walgreens where no one wants to work. I am talking about desirable positions in retail or specialty.

I don’t know about this job market man. Everything feels off.

Certain staff rph starting positions are offering more than what I make as an rph with over decade experience. And I am not talking about cvs/ Walgreens where no one wants to work. I am talking about desirable positions in retail or specialty.

I don’t know about this job market man. Everything feels off.

That's why you should keep looking and negotiate higher pay at job interviews.

They'd have to pay me $100/hr minimum to do that **** again.
Walgreens: “best we can do is 45$, a sign on bonus you’ll have to return after we fire you a day short of your term and a pizza party.”

CVS: “hold my beer”

• Haha