Is pharmacy career recovered? booming?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if it's a failure to negotiate but I've been finding that everywhere else I apply to offers me much less than my current hospital. I have been told it is a regional issue Westchester > Bronx > Manhattan > Queens/Brooklyn > Long Island in terms of pay.
Similar situation with myself with location being critical/significant in pay offerings

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if it's a failure to negotiate but I've been finding that everywhere else I apply to offers me much less than my current hospital. I have been told it is a regional issue Westchester > Bronx > Manhattan > Queens/Brooklyn > Long Island in terms of pay.
Yes, my experience with job hopping is I always make less at the next job.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Same. I've been looking but everywhere else seems to be a big pay decrease. I don't always get raises each year so I'm just getting eaten away by inflation.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it helps to be handsome and charming :cool:

I guess it helps to be handsome and charming :cool:
It also helps that you have something to offer and management is composed of mostly the same nepotistic, narcissistic sociopaths. What do you have to lose?

The way I manage negotiating for work contracts for industry is:

“If I in a relationship with someone where I’m on a last name basis with who is on a first name basis with me, they can pay for the privilege.”

Reactions: 1 user
I got a Wal-Mart recruitment postcard. It's the first mass mailing for a job I've received in almost 15 years. I'm declaring the profession BOOMING!!!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I got a Wal-Mart recruitment postcard. It's the first mass mailing for a job I've received in almost 15 years. I'm declaring the profession BOOMING!!!

Me too. A few years ago they will wouldn't even give me an interview. This just tells me how bad work conditions have gotten in retail.

Like Bro…I’m getting generic cookie cutter emails from desperate sounding district leaders looking for passionate RPh.

Ok, I’ll admit, I’m still a bit jealous they took out business expenses on paper and postage in your case...but maybe, just maybe they splurged and bought AI/robots to do their dirty work in spamming me as a result of scoping out pay rates

ok for real-zies…oh man, thanks for making me laugh

It also helps that you have something to offer and management is composed of mostly the same nepotistic, narcissistic sociopaths. What do you have to lose?

Life got much less stressful the day I realized the easiest way to keep my boss happy is to just make sure no one ever complains to them about me. Management seems to care less about productivity than being minorly annoyed.

Pharmacy Times Article. The pharmacy technician is the pharmacy manager and she also does the MTM for the patient and counsels.

Safety, Savings Start With Medication History​

May 25, 2023
William Schimmel
Pharmacy TimesMay 2023
Volume 89
Issue 5

Technicians should take advantage of opportunities to work at a higher level of practice, build their careers.

Medication therapy management (MTM) is a critical component of patient-centered care and transition of care that can lead to improved patient outcomes, medication safety, and even reductions in health care costs. Pharmacy technicians are uniquely positioned to obtain complete, accurate medication histories—the first step in an effective MTM process.

Technicians are often the first point of contact with patients in community pharmacy settings. They play an especially important role in various points-of-care transitions, such as when patients are admitted or discharged from a hospital. Technicians who are involved in medication history responsibilities assist pharmacists during transitions of care by reviewing the patient’s list of herbal remedies, OTC and prescription medications, supplements, and vitamins, identifying discrepancies or any changes that have been made.

In community pharmacies, trusted technicians such as Jacqueline Hayes, RPhT, CPhT-ADV, certified pharmacy technician and pharmacy manager at Rise N Shine Pharmacy in Pembroke Pines, Florida, also provide patient education on medication use and potential adverse effects. Additionally, technicians assist with medication adherence and facilitate communication between hospital health care teams and community pharmacy teams to better coordinate patient care.

“Recently, a friend asked if I would take a look at her father’s medication list. He had [received a diagnosis of ] dementia but was acting very much outside of his new normal behavior,” said Hayes, who holds both Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) MTM and medication history certificates.

“I noticed he was taking 2 statins. The family immediately contacted his physician, and 1 was discontinued,” Hayes said. “Within a few days, he was less confused, and his behavior had improved.”

Research findings show that training technicians who obtain the best possible medication histories during patient admission can have a dramatic impact in hospital settings as well. This reduces risks for adverse medical events, decreases readmissions, and reduces error-related costs.
In one Wisconsin health system, trained technicians increased the percentage of completed medication histories from 49% to 98%. In this study, technicians uncovered an average of 6.1 medication discrepancies, such as drug omissions, drug commissions, and incorrect dose or frequency per patient. On average, technicians spent less than 30 minutes completing patient histories and updating their electronic medical records, which netted an estimated annual savings of more than $1.6 million for the health system.

Training technicians to obtain complete, accurate medication histories is clearly a smart financial investment. PTCB offers a specialized medication history certificate to equip technicians with the necessary knowledge and skills to obtain accurate medication histories and protect patient safety. The program covers error types, medication history procedures, medical terminology, patient interview techniques, and patient safety strategies. By completing the program, technicians demonstrate that they can conduct accurate, in-depth reviews of patient histories and identify potential errors.

The medication history certificate complements PTCB’s MTM certificate, a credential that assesses the knowledge and skills needed to support the entire MTM process, including communication, documentation, patient education, medication reconciliation, and medication therapy review.

As the scope of technician responsibilities continues to expand, earning these PTCB credentials provides opportunities for these pharmacy professionals to function at a higher level of practice, advance professionally, and build their careers. For community pharmacies and health systems, an investment in medication history training and credentials for technicians returns a powerful dividend of increased cost savings and patient safety.

• Wow
  • Sad
Pharmacy Times Article. The pharmacy technician is the pharmacy manager and she also does the MTM for the patient and counsels.

May 25, 2023
William Schimmel
Pharmacy TimesMay 2023
Volume 89
Issue 5

Technicians should take advantage of opportunities to work at a higher level of practice, build their careers.

Medication therapy management (MTM) is a critical component of patient-centered care and transition of care that can lead to improved patient outcomes, medication safety, and even reductions in health care costs. Pharmacy technicians are uniquely positioned to obtain complete, accurate medication histories—the first step in an effective MTM process.

Technicians are often the first point of contact with patients in community pharmacy settings. They play an especially important role in various points-of-care transitions, such as when patients are admitted or discharged from a hospital. Technicians who are involved in medication history responsibilities assist pharmacists during transitions of care by reviewing the patient’s list of herbal remedies, OTC and prescription medications, supplements, and vitamins, identifying discrepancies or any changes that have been made.

In community pharmacies, trusted technicians such as Jacqueline Hayes, RPhT, CPhT-ADV, certified pharmacy technician and pharmacy manager at Rise N Shine Pharmacy in Pembroke Pines, Florida, also provide patient education on medication use and potential adverse effects. Additionally, technicians assist with medication adherence and facilitate communication between hospital health care teams and community pharmacy teams to better coordinate patient care.

“Recently, a friend asked if I would take a look at her father’s medication list. He had [received a diagnosis of ] dementia but was acting very much outside of his new normal behavior,” said Hayes, who holds both Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) MTM and medication history certificates.

“I noticed he was taking 2 statins. The family immediately contacted his physician, and 1 was discontinued,” Hayes said. “Within a few days, he was less confused, and his behavior had improved.”

Research findings show that training technicians who obtain the best possible medication histories during patient admission can have a dramatic impact in hospital settings as well. This reduces risks for adverse medical events, decreases readmissions, and reduces error-related costs.
In one Wisconsin health system, trained technicians increased the percentage of completed medication histories from 49% to 98%. In this study, technicians uncovered an average of 6.1 medication discrepancies, such as drug omissions, drug commissions, and incorrect dose or frequency per patient. On average, technicians spent less than 30 minutes completing patient histories and updating their electronic medical records, which netted an estimated annual savings of more than $1.6 million for the health system.

Training technicians to obtain complete, accurate medication histories is clearly a smart financial investment. PTCB offers a specialized medication history certificate to equip technicians with the necessary knowledge and skills to obtain accurate medication histories and protect patient safety. The program covers error types, medication history procedures, medical terminology, patient interview techniques, and patient safety strategies. By completing the program, technicians demonstrate that they can conduct accurate, in-depth reviews of patient histories and identify potential errors.

The medication history certificate complements PTCB’s MTM certificate, a credential that assesses the knowledge and skills needed to support the entire MTM process, including communication, documentation, patient education, medication reconciliation, and medication therapy review.

As the scope of technician responsibilities continues to expand, earning these PTCB credentials provides opportunities for these pharmacy professionals to function at a higher level of practice, advance professionally, and build their careers. For community pharmacies and health systems, an investment in medication history training and credentials for technicians returns a powerful dividend of increased cost savings and patient safety.

Well this makes me feel much better about moving up from MTMs in the PBM world…

Members don't see this ad :)

May 25, 2023
William Schimmel
Pharmacy TimesMay 2023
Volume 89
Issue 5

So the pharmacist there was verifying 2 statins this whole time?

• Wow
So the pharmacist there was verifying 2 statins this whole time?
Not really. This pt is a father of her friend and the article doesn't mention if he fills both statins at her pharmacy. Seems like this article is a cherry-picking propaganda promotion for PTCB credentials haha.

Probably one statin is from PCP and filled at mail order. The other statin is from cardiologist and filled at a local pharmacy. The mail order statin is billed thru insurance, while the other one use GoodRx haha.

Same. I've been looking but everywhere else seems to be a big pay decrease. I don't always get raises each year so I'm just getting eaten away by inflation.

Yeah, the offer I got for the hospital near my house was $10 less than my current rate and $30 less than what my rate will be in 2 years after union raises.

• Sad
omg. I'd pay good money to see some (most) of the techs I've worked with over the years counsel anybody. About anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Pay is good now - not sure how it is elsewhere. Base is >$70 in hospital ( not California. What are you guys getting ?

At my current job I have a base of $73, which will be going up by 7% this year, 6% next year, and 5% in 2025.

The place I applied to offered a base of $64. Keep in mind, I have 10 years exp, so this $64 base is kinda insulting when that was what I started at with my current job 4 years ago.

When I asked for a counter offer of $77 base, the HR rep gave me a spiel about how Long Island rates are less than the city and then how Westchester pays more than the city. I told her, regardless, it does not make sense to change jobs and go down in pay by so much when you factor in my upcoming raises, which she said that there are no guaranteed raises at this hospital/only merit based and the health insurance which I'm currently on union health insurance which is zero copay/deductible/just a $125 a month union due. With 3 kids, no way am I going to switch back to an insurance with a deductible. Also their pension was laughable compared to the one this union offers.

So yeah, for the time being I gotta stick it out with this ****ty schedule and the 1 hour drive each way.

At my current job I have a base of $73, which will be going up by 7% this year, 6% next year, and 5% in 2025.

The place I applied to offered a base of $64. Keep in mind, I have 10 years exp, so this $64 base is kinda insulting when that was what I started at with my current job 4 years ago.

When I asked for a counter offer of $77 base, the HR rep gave me a spiel about how Long Island rates are less than the city and then how Westchester pays more than the city. I told her, regardless, it does not make sense to change jobs and go down in pay by so much when you factor in my upcoming raises, which she said that there are no guaranteed raises at this hospital/only merit based and the health insurance which I'm currently on union health insurance which is zero copay/deductible/just a $125 a month union due. With 3 kids, no way am I going to switch back to an insurance with a deductible. Also their pension was laughable compared to the one this union offers.

So yeah, for the time being I gotta stick it out with this ****ty schedule and the 1 hour drive each way.
u r probably THE highest paid staff pharmacist i have heard of. in 2025 you will be at $87 base plus shift diff plus pension. i dont think you will find anywhere near that no matter where you look. maybe Kaiser in CA but thats about it

u r probably THE highest paid staff pharmacist i have heard of. in 2025 you will be at $87 base plus shift diff plus pension. i dont think you will find anywhere near that no matter where you look. maybe Kaiser in CA but thats about it
You'd be surprised.

His number is kind of on par with my hospital (not Kaiser or in CA). Our midpoint pay rate is ~ $80 and most RPh who has ~10 years of exp will reach that. My co-worker (staff RPh) will cross the $90 mark in 2025 with ~11 years of exp. We also has union & pension.

There are a few people with more experience than me on the day and evening shift with higher bases. For some reason, with 1199 union, evening shift and overnight shift have the same differential. We are on par with the rates at the Montefiore hospitals in the Bronx.

My mom texted me because the local CVS back home was closed today. The pharmacist went on vacation and there was no backup available today. There wasn't going to be anyone there Thursday, either. She was just told that there "should" be someone there tomorrow.

So if anyone with a WV license that wants to live in the town that created *this* there might be an opportunity available!

• Wow
Also I just noticed that in 10 days its will be 20 years of me on this board.

That's incredible. I demand a party.
You had internet 20 years ago? Did you have to go to the computer lab at your university to access it? Did you pay by the minute or the kilobyte?

• Haha
You had internet 20 years ago? Did you have to go to the computer lab at your university to access it? Did you pay by the minute or the kilobyte?
I had a roughly 1 mbps DL speed at home with my cable modem. Which was blazing fast at the time. Dial up was the late 90s. 56k modem. Before that...yeah, only through a school or government facility.

Quite a few of my early posts were made from the chemistry computer lab of my university.

Damn sparda 29…”premium pay” shifts, aka desperate AF to fill shifts (like yeah temporarily close the store because of) would be the only way to get me remotely close around $90/hour. The truly evil side of me says I should ask/bargain/leverage for even greater, “super ultra premium” 😈

Damn sparda 29…”premium pay” shifts, aka desperate AF to fill shifts (like yeah temporarily close the store because of) would be the only way to get me remotely close around $90/hour. The truly evil side of me says I should ask/bargain/leverage for even greater, “super ultra premium” 😈

Yeah, this raise seems like it came out of nowhere to me since we weren't fighting for it in the department. But it seems that behind the scenes the union saw the 20% raises that the nurses got after their strikes earlier this year at Montefiore and Mt. Sinai and decided that everyone in the union also deserved that. Our contract wasn't up until next year but they went into early negotiations and the hospitals agreed to grant the raise to prevent a strike in 2024.

• Hmm
I've noticed a lot of pharmacists will just stick with their first job for years if not their entire career, which I think is a big mistake. Changing jobs to the tune of 10-15% pay increases every few years has been a great experience for me. It has diversified my skillset and accelerated my wage growth. I'm sitting at around 55k more than I would be making if I stayed put and took 3% for a decade.

If you job hop every so often, wouldn't that look bad on your resume?
Employers want to keep the churning low so if they see you're habitually leaving your job every few years, wouldn't that leave a permanent red flag?

The truly evil side of me says I should ask/bargain/leverage for even greater, “super ultra premium” 😈
My district started offering double pay right after I quit. Would have been ~$140/hr for me to pick up shifts if I had stayed.

• Wow
Employers want to keep the churning low so if they see you're habitually leaving your job every few years, wouldn't that leave a permanent red flag?
I think the key is how often you job hop? I’ve been told 2-3 years is an acceptable minimum not to catch too much attention early on in a career. 3-5 for career positions is also what I seem to have heard.

Life got much less stressful the day I realized the easiest way to keep my boss happy is to just make sure no one ever complains to them about me. Management seems to care less about productivity than being minorly annoyed.
#truth I mean, I used to be the big go-getter, got my max raises, I am close to the max now at my hospital, I got 15 more years. I took a step back and now in coast mode and continue to get great reviews based on past karma and lack of "hearing anything bad"

It depends on why you changed jobs and the biases of the hiring manager.

If you are moving into roles with more responsibilities and constantly learning new skills, that comes off as someone who is driven and ambitious. Do I want to hire someone who is dynamic and focused for this role, or do I want to hire the person who has worked the same staffing job for ten years with no career progression? I guess that depends on the role.

It depends on the market. Software engineers could job hop every few months for double digit raises since they have been in such high demand and employers are desperate to hire. The same probably happened in the early 2000s in pharmacy.

Today in pharmacy it would probably not be worth it since employers have their pick of candidates in a saturated market. Likely you won’t be able to increase your salary by that much anyway due to the surplus of pharmacists suppressing wage growth.

It seems that the trend in pharmacy when switching jobs is to aim for better QOL, e.g. being allowed to sit in a chair, work from home, non patient facing, etc. Less so to switch for higher pay.

Last edited:
I am surprised, cleaning poop actually requires a bachelor's degree and learning chemistry.

In the same way that counting by 5’s and resolving insurance issues requires a doctorate.

Cleaning poop is often done by certified nursing assistants but they are not always available in the same way you don’t always have pharmacy techs available to count by 5’s.

I am surprised, cleaning poop actually requires a bachelor's degree and learning chemistry.
Cleaning a 300 lbs pt who is swimming in poop in their bed, with tubes coming out from every single hole on their body, requires much more skills than just a BS degree & some Chem courses hehe. Your degree enable you for higher pay level kind of tasks but it doesn't exclude you from doing lower level ones when it is needed. Are you surprised that a lot of retail chains require a pharmacist license to count pill and work as a cashier ?

It depends on the market. Software engineers could job hop every few months for double digit raises since they have been in such high demand and employers are desperate to hire. The same probably happened in the early 2000s in pharmacy.

Today in pharmacy it would probably not be worth it since employers have their pick of candidates in a saturated market. Likely you won’t be able to increase your salary by that much anyway due to the surplus of pharmacists suppressing wage growth.

It seems that the trend in pharmacy when switching jobs is to aim for better QOL, e.g. being allowed to sit in a chair, work from home, non patient facing, etc. Less so to switch for higher pay.

Pharmacy isn't a saturated market anymore. The big chains are offering sign on bonuses over $75k and still can't find anyone who will bite

Pharmacy isn't a saturated market anymore. The big chains are offering sign on bonuses over $75k and still can't find anyone who will bite

Yes, but pharmacist jobs that are tolerable are still saturated.
Pharmacists are still being treated like subhumans in vast majority of the jobs.
Certainly better than the time when these jobs would have received 100's of applicants though

Are big chains still offering 40's/h?
And those who accepted $40's/h a couple years back, are they still making the same amount?

What I have heard in retail is that companies are offering sign on bonuses but your starting base pay is still $10 an hour lower than what it was 10 years ago.

As pharmacist demand subsides, sign on bonus will be taken away and you will be left with ****ty base pay. So, you are still getting screwed over.

One thing I have noticed is change in work attitude post-Covid. Lots of rphs were willing to work extra hours before; but during pandemic majority avoided those shifts because of craziness with vaccines and fear of contracting Covid.

So, now pandemic has passed but people are already used to working less hours and maintaining work-life balance. Hence increase in rph demand.

One thing I have noticed is change in work attitude post-Covid. Lots of rphs were willing to work extra hours before; but during pandemic majority avoided those shifts because of craziness with vaccines and fear of contracting Covid.

So, now pandemic has passed but people are already used to working less hours and maintaining work-life balance. Hence increase in rph demand.
But at lowered base pay as you stated

Unless your manager has a crystal ball, or called 1(900) MisCleo, I just don't see how he/she would accurately predict the future of pharmacy?
While the sentiment is okay, I just don't see a Pharmacy Technician as the answer! I work for the largest Hospital chain in the SouthEast. We have 22 hospitals, before this, I worked for 3 other Hospital systems, never heard of anything close to $31/hr for techs. Maybe Half of that, $15-17 is the going rate in Georgia.

$15 is literally below minimum wage in my state.

$15 is literally below minimum wage in my state.
our hospital set a minimum salary of $15 for any employee - our techs average low $20's and we still can't keep them - heck - lately we can't get qualified pharmacist - anyone want a hospital job? we have 5 openings.