Hematology/Oncology 2020-2021 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Friendly reminder here that the vast majority of us will probably end up in private practice (regardless of what you say right now). And there's a clear reason behind this also. I've been talking with a couple friends who are graduating up right now and looking for jobs (academic vs. PP) and the pay difference is ABSURD. Like it's just. plain. ridiculous. Like, making less than a hospitalist vs. more than 99% of most americans ridiculous. So it's no wonder why so many people choose to go into PP. As such, the name brand of the institution you're looking at matters much less than you'd think, and it's important to focus on factors like where you/your family would be happy, and the eventual place you'd want to practice (I can't tell you how many people told me "I wouldn't have found a job in *area xyz* if I didn't do fellowship here in the community"). SO many jobs after fellowship graduation are more about who you know and NOT where you go. (Also this isn't me trying to influence anyone's ROL. I'll be fine regardless of where I go lol).

2 cents.

Thanks for these 2 cents! I am struggling with the 'big name' issue too. There are programs I interviewed at and I felt I fit in and I will be happier, but having a hard time wrapping my head around it to rank those higher than big academic institutions. I am not even sure yet if I want a career in academics.

Members don't see this ad.

Feels like a feast or famine situation for interviews. Either you have a ton or you have nothing. Nothing in between. I wonder what your experience has been especially for IMGs. Personally have 2 interviews from a little over 90 applications which is a very low return rate.
me too

I literally cannot find any information about Brookdale program online> And they are acting very weird. Would really appreciate any information or opinions. Please DM if dont feel comfortable discussing publicly

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the consensus on thank you emails post interview? And if you interview with 5 people are we expected to send to all?

what is the consensus on thank you emails post interview? And if you interview with 5 people are we expected to send to all?
Very little benefit. Absolutely no risk. I send very brief emails to most. When I have genuine things to convey I will write a more personalized email. There are some interviewers for whom I have not been able to find an email address easily, so for them I just skip it. I never try to "game the system" by trying to tell people that they are "high up on my list" or anything like that, because that is just so transparent and that might actually be the only risk in sending these things.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I was looking for someone willing to switch dates for OHSU (Oregon) interview, mine's on 10/16. I'd be really grateful!

Hi everyone,

Now that the cycle has been is well underway and probably the majority of interview invites have been given out, please fill out the survey on how many interviews you intend on ATTENDING (not how many you invites you received) this cycle. The more responses, the less biases the results will be. You'll be able to see the group responses after you answer.

Anyone here already interviewed with U of Louisville? PM me if you did, help would be much appreciated.

How difficult is it to enter PP after time in academia (say a few years) from a clinical stand point?

How difficult is it to enter PP after time in academia (say a few years) from a clinical stand point?
Largely depends on how deep in the weeds you get in academics. If you're just a generalist or "the GI doc", you'll probably be OK, with a little bit of a learning curve getting back into a general community practice. If, OTOH, you're the person that can only manage pancreatic head cancer (but not pancreatic body or tail because those are completely different diseases...it's funny because it's true), then it's going to be a tough road.

Members don't see this ad :)

I sent 0 thank you letters/emails in residency and fellowship match. Matched to my #1 last cycle :)
Honestly I don't think thank you letters mean anything.

How about letting your top 1 program know that they are your number 1? I have heard that its ok but feel weird about it

I sent 0 thank you letters/emails in residency and fellowship match. Matched to my #1 last cycle :)
Honestly I don't think thank you letters mean anything.

I sent thank yous for both residency and fellowship. Ended up at #3 and #1, respectively. I agree I don't think they mean much. I personally think when I start interviewing applicants it would feel nice to receive these missives (and I do receive some when I interview kids applying to college), so I do it. I don't think they can count against you either unless you're being excessively annoying.

How about letting your top 1 program know that they are your number 1? I have heard that its ok but feel weird about it

I let my #1 know for both residency and fellowship. No response for residency. Received a very generic response to it for fellowship (something along the lines of "oh it's good to know you're so interested!") and ended up matching there. Got a rank-to-match email from a program further down the list which I thought was really nice. I drafted a nice email in response but didn't change my rank list -- I believe this is what programs think when they get these #1 letters. If you're already a shoo-in, that's great, but if you aren't, I doubt it will make a ton of difference.

Long story short, do it if you want, but it doesn't matter. It always feels better to me to do these things, so I do them. I kinda just don't want the feeling of "I didn't do everything I could to land a position" at the end of the day, even though my gut feeling is that these are all just word games.

Last edited:
Hello all.

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone (especially @gutonc, or @visari) might be able to help me with my rank list. I’m interested in adoptive cell therapy (CAR T, and DCs) in solids. Enjoy translational research/phase I trials, and I’m leaning towards a career in academics—unless I fail at securing grants, then I’ll become a park ranger and everything else is moot.

1. University of Washington
2. UCLA
3. NIH
4. Michigan
5. OHSU
6. City of Hope
7. Utah
8. Cincinnati
9. USC
10. Penn State

Hello all.

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone (especially @gutonc, or @visari) might be able to help me with my rank list. I’m interested in adoptive cell therapy (CAR T, and DCs) in solids. Enjoy translational research/phase I trials, and I’m leaning towards a career in academics—unless I fail at securing grants, then I’ll become a park ranger and everything else is moot.

2. UCLA
3. NIH
4. Michigan
5. OHSU
6. City of Hope
7. Utah
8. Cincinnati
9. USC
10. Penn State
Do you already have a research background specifically in CAR-T in solids?

I sent thank yous for both residency and fellowship. Ended up at #3 and #1, respectively. I agree I don't think they mean much. I personally think when I start interviewing applicants it would feel nice to receive these missives (and I do receive some when I interview kids applying to college), so I do it. I don't think they can count against you either unless you're being excessively annoying.

I let my #1 know for both residency and fellowship. No response for residency. Received a very generic response to it for fellowship (something along the lines of "oh it's good to know you're so interested!") and ended up matching there. Got a rank-to-match email from a program further down the list which I thought was really nice. I drafted a nice email in response but didn't change my rank list -- I believe this is what programs think when they get these #1 letters. If you're already a shoo-in, that's great, but if you aren't, I doubt it will make a ton of difference.

Long story short, do it if you want, but it doesn't matter. It always feels better to me to do these things, so I do them. I kinda just don't want the feeling of "I didn't do everything I could to land a position" at the end of the day, even though my gut feeling is that these are all just word games.

Appreciate your input!

Hello all.

2. UCLA
3. NIH
4. Michigan
5. OHSU
6. City of Hope
7. Utah
8. Cincinnati
9. USC
10. Penn State
That list looks fine, although I'd probably just skip to the park ranger step at this point personally.

Good question @CatFactorial. I sat at a bench for a few years and worked with antigen specific T cells and DCs, both w/ applications in solids. No CAR-T yet, but I think the skills are transferable.
If that is what you want to work on, you should go to a cellular therapy heavy place. Hutch, City of Hope, NIH should be at the top of your list. I am likely telling you something you have already heard but it is quite possible that your research interests (or even your interests in going into research in general) will change over the course of fellowship, so I'd shy away from being too gung ho unless you know for sure that's what you want to do.

Your list otherwise looks good though. I can say as a BMT/malignant heme/lab-based PS track (standing for poor schmuck), I am increasingly peeved at the eye-watering offers my private practice bound cofellows are getting.

If that is what you want to work on, you should go to a cellular therapy heavy place. Hutch, City of Hope, NIH should be at the top of your list. I am likely telling you something you have already heard but it is quite possible that your research interests (or even your interests in going into research in general) will change over the course of fellowship, so I'd shy away from being too gung ho unless you know for sure that's what you want to do.

Your list otherwise looks good though. I can say as a BMT/malignant heme/lab-based PS track (standing for poor schmuck), I am increasingly peeved at the eye-watering offers my private practice bound cofellows are getting.

What offers are they getting and for what hours?

Need advice in ranking these programs.

Honestly I’m undecided about solid vs Liquid. Did research in malignant heme but may want to shift to onc. Interested in clinical research and trials only. I’m not against going to Private. So want a program that’s not highly differentiated from D1. My preference for fellowship is a city that is relatively affordable for a family with kid and a relatively better work life balance.

Does anyone have thoughts on CCF and karmanos? I like both places. Is it true that If I want to find a job in area far away from Midwest like TX/CA/FL after fellowship, I should go to a more well known name for training? The overall education in CCF seems strong and balanced. PD is heartwarmingly nice. But they are primary on floor, no resident, q5 call schedule, probably means a very busy service? Also no fellow continuity clinic.

Rank list
Karmanos
CCF
UMinn
CWRU
UCSD
Tufts
Baylor

Thank you in advance. Appreciate any input.

Need advice in ranking these programs.

Honestly I’m undecided about solid vs Liquid. Did research in malignant heme but may want to shift to onc. Interested in clinical research and trials only. I’m not against going to Private. So want a program that’s not highly differentiated from D1. My preference for fellowship is a city that is relatively affordable for a family with kid and a relatively better work life balance.

Does anyone have thoughts on CCF and karmanos? I like both places. Is it true that If I want to find a job in area far away from Midwest like TX/CA/FL after fellowship, I should go to a more well known name for training? The overall education in CCF seems strong and balanced. PD is heartwarmingly nice. But they are primary on floor, no resident, q5 call schedule, probably means a very busy service? Also no fellow continuity clinic.

Rank list
Karmanos
CCF
UMinn
CWRU
UCSD
Tufts
Baylor

Thank you in advance. Appreciate any input.

I only interviewed at UCSD and Tufts on that list above and the only thing I know about Minnesota is that they are good at malignant heme. Other than that I don't have much input. I think UCSD is great if you want to go into PP or pharma, and the PD seemed very supportive of that when I interviewed.

I posted to say that fellows being primary on floor would suck. Thank goodness for residents here so I can finally put being paged by nurses for NC oxygen orders behind me. Medicine is interesting, sure, and I am open to attending on a heme/onc floor, but NOT doing the day-to-day. Q5 call is also a bit higher than average for the "better" academic programs, not sure comparably how that stacks up with rest of the programs on your list. I have mixed feelings about a primary fellows continuity clinic. We don't have one (we see the attendings' patients and then rotate clinics every 6 months) and I actually like not having to follow someone through my entire fellowship (you'll end up "following" some of the more memorable patients you've seen through chart stalking anyway, and if you really want to you can continue in the clinic that you like until you graduate). Some people like being primary the whole time, but I'm very thankful I have the option to leave a clinic after 6 months if I want and start again somewhere else.

I posted to say that fellows being primary on floor would suck. Thank goodness for residents here so I can finally put being paged by nurses for NC oxygen orders behind me. Medicine is interesting, sure, and I am open to attending on a heme/onc floor, but NOT doing the day-to-day. Q5 call is also a bit higher than average for the "better" academic programs, not sure comparably how that stacks up with rest of the programs on your list. I have mixed feelings about a primary fellows continuity clinic. We don't have one (we see the attendings' patients and then rotate clinics every 6 months) and I actually like not having to follow someone through my entire fellowship (you'll end up "following" some of the more memorable patients you've seen through chart stalking anyway, and if you really want to you can continue in the clinic that you like until you graduate). Some people like being primary the whole time, but I'm very thankful I have the option to leave a clinic after 6 months if I want and start again somewhere else.

As a current PGY4, I agree with all of this. Outside of maybe a few token patients, if you’re acting as primary in fellowship it sure as heck isn’t for the educational value. How much of a pain it ends up being can vary a lot though and doesn’t have to be a deal breaker IMO.

The only thing I don’t like about switching off clinic patients is having to clean up someone else’s crappy clinic notes every once in a while (but I’m kinda OCD about that stuff).

Hello all,

Would appreciate any input on ranking the following programs. I am interested in hematology in general and continuing some clinical research, I might go for community eventually but want to have the option to go to academics, thus would be good to have a decent amount of research exposure in fellowship. thanks

1. Mayo Clinic Jacksonville
2. Hershey Penn State
3. ECU Vidant
4. Levine Cancer Center
5. Rush University
6. Lehigh Valley HN

I only interviewed at UCSD and Tufts on that list above and the only thing I know about Minnesota is that they are good at malignant heme. Other than that I don't have much input. I think UCSD is great if you want to go into PP or pharma, and the PD seemed very supportive of that when I interviewed.

Thank you so much for your input! Yeah. I agree I don’t mind no continuity clinic. You are absolutely right. Being primary on floor is the reason I want to put karmanos on top of CCF because karmanos don’t have “ call”, attendings cover their own pagers.
I just don’t know if I want to find a job somewhere other than Midwest, should I go to CCF for the bigger name.

I could see a lot of utility in having *your* panel of patients where you see continuously. It may not be for everyone, but surely it would be helpful for people who want to do more clinical H/O

Hi guys,
Does it make a whole lot of difference in terms of doing your fellowship from a community program versus a university program if someone doesn't want to have a research heavy career? I mean in terms of job opportunities, training quality etc.
Just wondering how much weight I should give to this factor while ranking as there are many large community programs that seem decent.

Great question! this is exactly what I am currently contemplating.
Got a mixture of community programs with affiliations and university programs albeit at less ideal locations.

I want to choose the option that would grant me most possibilities upon future job hunting.
Will it make a whole lot of difference for future jobs if one graduate from a community program and is interested in PP?

Does anyone have any input?

After speaking to many different people who are involved with hiring, I'm fairly confident now that prestige and things like going to a reputable community program vs. university program matters much less than people here seem to acknowledge. If you're a reasonably amicable guy, going to either place really shouldn't hold you back. On top of all this, it may actually benefit you if you do fellowship in the area you eventually want to live vs. forcing yourself to go to a less desirable place for the prestige.

But don't take my word for it. Any senior folks/folks who may be involved in the hiring process care to chime in?

After speaking to many different people who are involved with hiring, I'm fairly confident now that prestige and things like going to a reputable community program vs. university program matters much less than people here seem to acknowledge. If you're a reasonably amicable guy, going to either place really shouldn't hold you back. On top of all this, it may actually benefit you if you do fellowship in the area you eventually want to live vs. forcing yourself to go to a less desirable place for the prestige.

But don't take my word for it. Any senior folks/folks who may be involved in the hiring process care to chime in?
I've done so many times. Not going to do it again.

• Haha
Between Levine cancer center and East Carolina University, can anyone give input on which program to rank higher and some pros and cons?

New ERAS application data for 2021 just came out. For heme-onc looks like the total applications this year is up from 904 in the 2020 cycle to 1008 this year, though most of that increase is from the increase in IMG applicants (417 to 504). Also number of applications per person are also up 9 - 16%. Thoughts on how this will affect the Match this year? ERAS Statistics

ERAS 2020ERAS 2021
DO8492
IMG417504
MD403412

Which did you like better?
I kind of liked both, Levine sounds more well rounded since they have BMT and a decent amount of research time. I can't remember specifics of the ECU program but the schedule was probably similar, fellows seemed happy and I had a good interaction with the faculty interviewers. Now I am not sure if one is better than the other

New ERAS application data for 2021 just came out. For heme-onc looks like the total applications this year is up from 904 in the 2020 cycle to 1008 this year, though most of that increase is from the increase in IMG applicants (417 to 504). Also number of applications per person are also up 9 - 16%. Thoughts on how this will affect the Match this year? ERAS Statistics

ERAS 2020ERAS 2021
DO8492
IMG417504
MD403412

Definitely more competitive for IMGs then. I guess it should already have affected the number of interview invites IMGs are getting. There were 613 positions available per last match data, not sure how many more are added this year

ERAS 2020ERAS 2021
DO8492
IMG417504
MD403412

link? Lol never mind I see it

Last edited:
This is very, very fascinating. For a variety of reasons actually. For one, while the total number of applications sent overall increased by about 24.53%, many top programs are reporting a 25-50% increase in the number of applications they see (which doesn't conform to the average % increase of apps/program which is about 20%). As such, while we as applicants really complain about the top programs interviewing the same applicants, it seems the converse is also true, that many people who consider themselves "top applicants" are largely applying to the same programs, in addition to many applicants who are just shooting these programs an application to see what happens. My suspicion from these data now is that about 50-80% of USMD applicants may have applied to the top 20-40 programs, which is probably a big increase from prior. All just speculative but very interesting to see these data trends.

Does anybody know much about Montefiore/Albert Einstein heme/onc program? I suppose it will be intensive like most NYC programs but are there enough research opportunities?
I am deciding between Moffitt, Roswell, Karmanos and Montefiore for top places. Academic goals, not much of a location preference but will prefer big city if the programs are more or less equivalent. Will appreciate if anyone can guide. Don't know any fellows in the programs and it has been pretty difficult to make an assessment after a virtual experience.

My SO will be looking for a physician job with me matching. Anyone have any experience with this? I'd be happy with any of my top 4 and could change the rank depending on how easy it would be for my SO to get a job. II'm wondering if it's helpful to google search physician jobs in the area? Would this help to see if the area is saturated?

Does anybody know much about Montefiore/Albert Einstein heme/onc program? I suppose it will be intensive like most NYC programs but are there enough research opportunities?
I am deciding between Moffitt, Roswell, Karmanos and Montefiore for top places. Academic goals, not much of a location preference but will prefer big city if the programs are more or less equivalent. Will appreciate if anyone can guide. Don't know any fellows in the programs and it has been pretty difficult to make an assessment after a virtual experience.

I would be careful about any NYC area programs like Montefiore. Ancillary staffing is very poor in NYC hospitals and all the ancillary staff have unions to protect them. As a resident/fellow, be expected to be a scut monkey doing nursing work like blood draws, putting in foleys, transporting patients off the floor, or calling to make appointments which obviously takes away from education. Also NYC has an insanely high cost of living and the amount the programs pay does not scale in proportion. This is especially true at Montefiore which was recently paying their PGY4s $68000 a yearly which is vey hard to get by in NYC.

I would be careful about any NYC area programs like Montefiore. Ancillary staffing is very poor in NYC hospitals and all the ancillary staff have unions to protect them. As a resident/fellow, be expected to be a scut monkey doing nursing work like blood draws, putting in foleys, transporting patients off the floor, or calling to make appointments which obviously takes away from education. Also NYC has an insanely high cost of living and the amount the programs pay does not scale in proportion. This is especially true at Montefiore which was recently paying their PGY4s $68000 a yearly which is vey hard to get by in NYC.

I've heard this is true at many of the community based programs, but larger academic centers (Cornell, NYU, Columbia, Sinai, Monte) have adequate support, and "scut work" is typically not an issue for residents and fellows?

I am deciding between Moffitt, Roswell, Karmanos and Montefiore for top places. Academic goals, not much of a location preference but will prefer big city if the programs are more or less equivalent.

None of these places will hold you back from anything. Choose based on where you want to go and make the most of it.

Hi guys. Asking for help for the rank list. interested in academic career and future transplant/ cellular therapy
I prefer Florida overall
1-Moffitt
2- Yale
3- university of Miami
4- USC (southern California)
5- Mayo of Jacksonville
6- Baylor Houston
7- U Cincinnati
8- Karmanos
9- U Kentucky

Last edited:

Wow so much to unpack;

lol fellows are not involved in any scut like putting in foleys. That’s just a ridiculous statement. Blood draws? Nope. Could this be the case for some community programs in the city? Sure. But academic programs nope. I trained in IM at Monte and not even IM residents are transporting patients or putting in foleys or are “scut monkeys.”

also pgy1 salary at Monte is 68k so your info is quite outdated. Pgy4 is 77k

also for reference about “nyc” resident/fellow pay, my last year of fellowship at an academic nyc program the pgy6 salary was $90,200. That was quite fair

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard this is true at many of the community based programs, but larger academic centers (Cornell, NYU, Columbia, Sinai, Monte) have adequate support, and "scut work" is typically not an issue for residents and fellows?

Ya that poster is clueless about the reality. Trained at two nyc academic programs for IM and fellowship and these are not major issues. I’ve never once out in a foley, haven’t drawn blood since 2nd yr of residency and don’t remember the last time I was involved in transporting a patient (besides ICU crashing patient)

Ya that poster is clueless about the reality. Trained at two nyc academic programs for IM and fellowship and these are not major issues. I’ve never once out in a foley, haven’t drawn blood since 2nd yr of residency and don’t remember the last time I was involved in transporting a patient (besides ICU crashing patient)

I graduated from AECOM and at least through my med student lenses, it seemed like the residents were overworked and had to deal with a lot of bs. I’ve personally seen interns and upper level residents put in NG tubes, foleys, collect stool samples, draw blood, get ABGs, make appointments, etc. I’m currently a PGY3 at another institution and I have not done any of the aforementioned throughout my residency. I’ve done my 3 required ultrasound guided IVs and ABGs but they were for checking the boxes for ACGME. We have dedicated IV therapy teams who do that and non-unionized ancillary staff.

I have no skin in this convo but I do want to express that the scutwork in NYC is larger than that of other places.

Hi all, please help me rank the following programs.

I am open to all subspecialties in oncology. Not a strong preference on location, as I will move anywhere that I need to. I do have a family with a newborn and another small child that I hope to spend more time with. Work life balance is important to me. I am more than happy to do research during fellowship but not looking for an academic career. After graduation, I am interested in either a hybrid or private practice.

1. Brown - Well balanced in clinical training, great opportunities to do research if I choose to. Related well with faculty and felt and overall they had the happiest fellows. Fellows clinic was a positive but not an absolute requirement for me.
2. UTSW - strong clinical training and superb research opportunities. Great interview with PD and faculty that really put this program in front for me despite my previous perception. However, fellows seemed overworked. Concerned they may still have a malignant reputation. Has that changed in recent years?
3. Mount Sinai - strong in malignant heme. Emphasized research and grant writing which I am indifferent to. Did not really stand out to me as I hoped but still a good program nonetheless. I am not sure how clinically busy this program is, can someone chime in?
4. Dartmouth - great balance between solid training program and research opportunities. However, location is a tough sell but I can make it work if need be.
5. Montefiore - Strong clinical training program but felt fellows were overworked. Seemed to deal with non-medical issues such as prior authorizations, emailing insurance, etc.
6. NYU - Good program but just did not seem to enjoy interview day as I hoped. Interactions seemed aloof and could not really relate

In lights of the comments above about NYC programs, I am wondering is that also present at Mount Sinai too? My 1-3 can really go in any order. Am I making a mistake in ranking UTSW and Mt Sinai lower than Brown?

I graduated from AECOM and at least through my med student lenses, it seemed like the residents were overworked and had to deal with a lot of bs. I’ve personally seen interns and upper level residents put in NG tubes, foleys, collect stool samples, draw blood, get ABGs, make appointments, etc. I’m currently a PGY3 at another institution and I have not done any of the aforementioned throughout my residency. I’ve done my 3 required ultrasound guided IVs and ABGs but they were for checking the boxes for ACGME. We have dedicated IV therapy teams who do that and non-unionized ancillary staff.

I have no skin in this convo but I do want to express that the scutwork in NYC is larger than that of other places.

I trained at Monte and never put in a foley, only did emergent blood draws and abgs and rarely put in IVs. We had appointment schedulers, and Though the prevailing sense was is that nyc training=scut work is like a decade behind reality. I also trained at a NYC academic hem/onc fellowship And the IM training wasn’t dissimilar in the lack of scutwork. Overworked is a different thing and doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with these non educational activities

Status
Not open for further replies.