Hematology/Oncology 2021-2022 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dioscorides

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I guess it's about that time to start up the new application cycle.

Let's dust off those CV's, tune up those PS's, and get those LOR's!

Good luck to everyone applying this year.

All the best. -D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just an FYI, unfortunately my program is doing virtual interviews this year and I suspect others will be too. My apologies to this years applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Just an FYI, unfortunately my program is doing virtual interviews this year and I suspect others will be too. My apologies to this years applicants.
Have you heard if programs will increase the number of interview spots given it will be virtual again?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can a program offers the options of either virtual or in-person interview? That will be interesting :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I suspect all interviews will be virtual this year again. At least we save money with no traveling...

Can a program offers the options of either virtual or in-person interview? That will be interesting :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I'm sure there will be some programs that do a mix. I suspect there will be in-person days and virtual days, not a mix of in-person and virtual on one day.

But then, common sense isn't, so forget what I said above.

I'm sure there will be some programs that do a mix. I suspect there will be in-person days and virtual days, not a mix of in-person and virtual on one day.

But then, common sense isn't, so forget what I said above.
That would be a very tricky situation.

We will have to see how this all plays out.

Obviously people have asked before how important it is to only submit 3 LOR if program websites request 3, but I was also wondering how this applies to if the program says "we don't require medical school transcript" or MSPE -- if you submit it, is that a sign that you're not paying close enough attention so you'll get dinged for it? I also don't want the program to feel like my application is incomplete if the information on their website is out-of-date...

Last edited:
Obviously people have asked before how important it is to only submit 3 LOR if program websites request 3, but I was also wondering how this applies to if the program says "we don't require medical school transcript" or MSPE -- if you submit it, is that a sign that you're not paying close enough attention so you'll get dinged for it? I also don't want the program to feel like my application is incomplete if the information on their website is out-of-date...
No. You'll be fine. Lots of stuff to get anxious about, this ain't it.

I would submit everything you have including the 4th letter. Nobody is going to care and if they do then you don’t want to match with those people anyway.

Serious question: Do posters at national conferences have less weight when compared to manuscripts published?

Piggybacking on the above question. If a project was published as an abstract-only publication (i.e. main ASCO) and then a full manuscript in a separate journal, should we list both or just the manuscript? What if the project was presented as a poster?

Serious question: Do posters at national conferences have less weight when compared to manuscripts published?
Generally yes, unless it is a predatory journal.
Piggybacking on the above question. If a project was published as an abstract-only publication (i.e. main ASCO) and then a full manuscript in a separate journal, should we list both or just the manuscript? What if the project was presented as a poster?
I would include the manuscript and the poster, but not the abstract. Posters and manuscripts are different means of disseminating the data (and the former may demonstrate your active involvement in oncology conferences).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, nice to see this thread going. I'm excited and nervous about applying this cycle. Currently working on my personal statement and hoping that I can turn "Yeah, I know I haven't done much research... or much of anything really... but I think this stuff is pretty darn cool and I hope you'll give me the chance to learn more!" into a viable narrative. 😅

Good luck everyone! Hope to see you all as my future co-fellows.

Hi All,
I'm planning to apply for heme onc fellowship this upcoming cycle. I'm not sure how many programs to apply to and was hoping to get your thoughts on any additional programs to add to the list. I am interested in BMT and California programs. I'm still thinking about how I would prioritize the programs that are BMT outside of California and non-BMT in California. I want to check out the various programs on interview day and then decide.Also, this might be a dumb question but why don't some programs like UC Davis and UC Irvine appear under the program list? Thanks in advance.

My background
USMD low-mid tier med school. AOA. Top 10 IM residency program. Step 1/2/3: 250s.

Research:
Med school: 4 posters at local meetings (2 were case reports). 5 published abstracts (not first author). 2 first author published case reports. 2 second author case report.
Residency: 1 oral presentation at a local meeting. 6 posters at local meetings (1 was a case report). 1 first author published abstract. 1 first author article. 1 6th author article.
Additionally, I am finishing up a project and planning to submit it to ASH and hopefully publish it in the next few months.

List of programs: total 29 programs.
CA: Cedars-Sinai, City of Hope, KP SF, LLU, Harbor, Olive View, Scripps Clinic, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, UCSF-Fresno, USC.
Others: MDACC, MSK, DFCI, NIH, UW, WashU, JHU, Mayo Rochester, UPenn, Vandy, Emory, NYP/columbia, Mayo AZ, OHSU, UPMC.

Last edited:
Hey, nice to see this thread going. I'm excited and nervous about applying this cycle. Currently working on my personal statement and hoping that I can turn "Yeah, I know I haven't done much research... or much of anything really... but I think this stuff is pretty darn cool and I hope you'll give me the chance to learn more!" into a viable narrative. 😅

Good luck everyone! Hope to see you all as my future co-fellows.
Best of luck!

Personal statements can be such a bear to write.

Generally yes, unless it is a predatory journal.

I would include the manuscript and the poster, but not the abstract. Posters and manuscripts are different means of disseminating the data (and the former may demonstrate your active involvement in oncology conferences).
Speaking of research, how much weight do "Submitted but not published" manuscripts carry?

I would imagine it's better than nothing but I wanted to hear a bit more about what people thought?

Speaking of research, how much weight do "Submitted but not published" manuscripts carry?

I would imagine it's better than nothing but I wanted to hear a bit more about what people thought?

They demonstrate that you were able to carry a project to a near-finalized stage and can be used as a good interview topic, but submitted work says nothing about the merit of the paper. There is no guarantee that the submitted paper will ever be published. The weight is nowhere as much as an accepted paper, but will still be beneficial to your application.

I suspect all interviews will be virtual this year again. At least we save money with no traveling...
I think the COVID pandemic made both residency and fellowship programs realize they save a TON of money NOT having to host applicants for a pre-interview dinner, interview day breakfast, interview day lunch, and the goodie bags that most applicants end up tossing out (I know I won't be using a lot of the stuff I got from my residency interview day experiences).

I'm torn myself because I want to visit programs in person, but I understand this may be a permanent thing with top programs offering 100% virtual interviews since they know people will want to come regardless, and mid/low-tier places offering virtual/in-person option.

Hi All,
I'm planning to apply for heme onc fellowship this upcoming cycle. I'm not sure how many programs to apply to and was hoping to get your thoughts on any additional programs to add to the list. I am interested in BMT and California programs. I'm still thinking about how I would prioritize the programs that are BMT outside of California and non-BMT in California. I want to check out the various programs on interview day and then decide.Also, this might be a dumb question but why don't some programs like UC Davis and UC Irvine appear under the program list? Thanks in advance.

My background
USMD low-mid tier med school. AOA. Top 10 IM residency program. Step 1/2/3: 257/255/251.

Research:
Med school: 4 posters at local meetings (2 were case reports). 5 published abstracts (not first author). 2 first author published case reports. 2 second author case report.
Residency: 1 oral presentation at a local meeting. 6 posters at local meetings (1 was a case report). 1 first author published abstract. 1 first author article. 1 6th author article.
Additionally, I am finishing up a project and planning to submit it to ASH and hopefully publish it in the next few months.

CA: Cedars-Sinai, City of Hope, KP SF, LLU, Harbor, Olive View, Scripps Clinic, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, UCSF-Fresno, USC.
Others: MDACC, MSK, DFCI, NIH, UW, WashU, JHU, Mayo Rochester, UPenn, Vandy, Emory, NYP/columbia, Mayo AZ, OHSU, UPMC.
All I will say, and take my advice with a grain of salt Bc year over year competitiveness changing etc, for your CV that is wayyyyy too many programs to apply to. Also just Bc I’m nyc centric, having Mayo az on your list but not mt. Sinai and Cornell makes very little sense. Again, with a grain of salt and open to others opinions on here, you could probably trim your list by at least 1/3. A lot of the community programs on your list are wholly unnecessary with the strength of your app

Reactions: 2 users
Question on LoRs:
One of the writers who I had worked with at my home institution is no longer working at my institution. He is currently in a transitional/semi-retired state and does not have an official position.

I believe the letter will be very strong and supportive and we had a very good relationship.

Should I have any concerns about this lack current position or am I just overthinking it?

Question on LoRs:
One of the writers who I had worked with at my home institution is no longer working at my institution. He is currently in a transitional/semi-retired state and does not have an official position.

I believe the letter will be very strong and supportive and we had a very good relationship.

Should I have any concerns about this lack current position or am I just overthinking it?
You're overthinking it in my opinion. This person is presumably retiring in good standing, not being forced out. Just list their position as "attending physician" (or professor emeritus, if applicable). Should be just fine. [ETA: parenthetical]

Last edited:
Sorry to add to the pile of people asking for application feedback, but I was wondering if anyone would help me estimate the appropriate number of programs to apply to.

About me:
  • European IMG who was fortunate enough to match to a strong academic program; good grades, no AOA at my school
  • Step scores: 245/255/250
  • Research: 1 bench pub from undergrad, 2 clinical first author papers (1 palliative care, 1 palliative/solids), 1 paper in progress (solids) with an associated ASCO abstract
  • Activities: Pretty involved in DEI stuff, but nothing H/O specific and nothing too impressive
  • I'd describe myself a solid resident and a novice (but eager/hardworking!) researcher. LORs are not "big names," but are respectable folks associated with a well-known institution
I was thinking about applying to about 25 programs. My co-residents are applying for fewer, but I'm worried that being an IMG will weed me out of a lot of top spots. I over-applied for residency out of anxiety and am hoping to strike a more reasonable balance this time! What do you guys think?

Sorry to add to the pile of people asking for application feedback, but I was wondering if anyone would help me estimate the appropriate number of programs to apply to.

About me:
  • European IMG who was fortunate enough to match to a strong academic program; good grades, no AOA at my school
  • Step scores: 245/255/250
  • Research: 1 bench pub from undergrad, 2 clinical first author papers (1 palliative care, 1 palliative/solids), 1 paper in progress (solids) with an associated ASCO abstract
  • Activities: Pretty involved in DEI stuff, but nothing H/O specific and nothing too impressive
  • I'd describe myself a solid resident and a novice (but eager/hardworking!) researcher. LORs are not "big names," but are respectable folks associated with a well-known institution
I was thinking about applying to about 25 programs. My co-residents are applying for fewer, but I'm worried that being an IMG will weed me out of a lot of top spots. I over-applied for residency out of anxiety and am hoping to strike a more reasonable balance this time! What do you guys think?
Applying is cheap. Go big there. 25 seems reasonable to me, but I'm pretty far out of the game, so I might be completely FOS.

Your app is solid. Not stellar, but certainly not crap. You will match with a good app strategy.

Reposting a comment I made from last years cycle because I feel it is still relevant:

"Posting this early to help the nerves of those with less than stellar CVs:

I am a Carribean grad with 230s for both step scores. Little to nothing in the way of research aside from local conference case presentations. No grants. Never published. No away or audition electives. I went to a community program without a fellowship. I am a first generation doc with no physician-friends/family with any influence. No chief year. I did have good LORs because I did multiple elective rotations and grew to know the docs at my institution well. In general(or at least on paper) I am an average to below average candidate and I matched at my first choice program in the Northeast and I couldn't be happier.

I am posting this because several colleagues will post their impressive credentials in the days and weeks to come. And it will seems like everyone is interviewing at "top tier" programs and has 20 interviews. Seeing this last year I was riddled with anxiety all season thinking that I was not good enough. It even made me depressed at times. I just want you to be confident in yourself and your choice. It can happen for you if you want it. Feel free to PM me with any questions."

Reactions: 12 users
Applying is cheap. Go big there. 25 seems reasonable to me, but I'm pretty far out of the game, so I might be completely FOS.

Your app is solid. Not stellar, but certainly not crap. You will match with a good app strategy.
Thanks for this, gutonc. Like a lot of applicants, I feel pretty insecure about my relative achievements, but I know that some of it is neurosis. Helps to have an outside voice reminding me that things will probably be okay as long as I take a reasonable approach.

Reposting a comment I made from last years cycle because I feel it is still relevant:

I am a Carribean grad with 230s for both step scores. Little to nothing in the way of research aside from local conference case presentations. No grants. Never published. No away or audition electives. I went to a community program without a fellowship. I am a first generation doc with no physician-friends/family with any influence. No chief year. I did have good LORs because I did multiple elective rotations and grew to know the docs at my institution well. In general(or at least on paper) I am an average to below average candidate and I matched at my first choice program in the Northeast and I couldn't be happier.

I am posting this because several colleagues will post their impressive credentials in the days and weeks to come. And it will seems like everyone is interviewing at "top tier" programs and has 20 interviews. Seeing this last year I was riddled with anxiety all season thinking that I was not good enough. It even made me depressed at times. I just want you to be confident in yourself and your choice. It can happen for you if you want it. Feel free to PM me with any questions."

Thank you so much for sharing! Always great to read stories like this.

This is truly a great reminder of the subtle self-selection bias forums like SDN and Reddit bring. Thank you so much for this!

We will all make it, and we will all be ok.

Chances?
USIMG from Caribbean
243/250/237
Community hosp - university affiliated in NYC
Med school: 1 poster
residency: 2 published case reports, 1 grant awarded (research still underway)
1 case report hematology-related
1 lor from nocturnist, 2 from onc, 1 from pd from IM
Looking mostly to community programs/program with track record of taking IMGs

Hi All,

My background
USMD low-mid tier med school. AOA. Top 10 IM residency program. Step 1/2/3: 250s.

Research:

Agreed with above that this might be a lot of programs. Getting too many interviews can be problematic too because you'll be stuck wracking your brain on whether or not you want to cancel conflicting interviews (If you had an interview at UPMC and one at Harbor UCLA scheduled on the same day, which would you rather do? Would you really be willing to move to Pittsburgh?). Seems pretty clear that you want to be on the west coast. Why not minimize potential headache/regret/mistakes by minimizing decisions you might need to make? Just ask yourself, "If I had concurrent interviews between non-cali program X and Cedars-Sinai (or whatever cali communiversity program Y), which would I rather attend?" and use that as a benchmark to trim your list a bit. You're a strong applicant with clear goals. Don't discount that and don't get side-tracked. Maximize happiness here, not choices.

Chances?
USIMG from Caribbean
243/250/237
Community hosp - university affiliated in NYC
Med school: 1 poster
residency: 2 published case reports, 1 grant awarded (research still underway)
1 case report hematology-related
1 lor from nocturnist, 2 from onc, 1 from pd from IM
Looking mostly to community programs/program with track record of taking IMGs
I think you've got a pretty good shot here, especially since you've got a grant! That's a pretty big talking point! Are you looking to stay in a specific region or have you got a certain interest that you want to pursue?

I think you've got a pretty good shot here, especially since you've got a grant! That's a pretty big talking point! Are you looking to stay in a specific region or have you got a certain interest that you want to pursue?
Would like to stay between DC and NYC if possible, but open!! I’m interested in breast, but as I learn more just everything seems interesting haha

Hello everyone, good luck with interviews and match this season. I have one question and concern. I would to apply this year with H1b visa. Has anyone applied to 3 year fellowship before with this visa or is anyone applying this year? I was wondering what happens after you are done with fellowship since visa has 6 year cap. I dont really want to go back to my home country for a year.

My home H/O program confirmed that interviews will be virtual and mentioned that this is a decision that will impact "everyone" and not just us. It was something of a throwaway comment, so take the 'everyone' part with a heaping tablespoon of salt, but I am increasingly confident that most, if not all, will be virtual again.

Last edited:
Another silly question but I just want to clarify something.
Today (7/7) is the first day we can begin certifying/submitting our apps. However, two weeks from now (7/21) is the first day programs can see our apps that have been submitted.
This means I can submit my app anytime between 7/7-21 and the program will still see it just on the first day they are able to. This also means that I don’t need to rush to certify and submit ASAP, as long as it’s before 7/21.

Is this interpretation correct?

Today (7/7) is the first day we can begin certifying/submitting our apps. However, two weeks from now (7/21) is the first day programs can see our apps that have been submitted.
This means I can submit my app anytime between 7/7-21 and the program will still see it just on the first day they are able to. This also means that I don’t need to rush to certify and submit ASAP, as long as it’s before 7/21.

Yes you are correct. All programs can only download on 7/21. All applications will be post marked 7/21.

Hey all, excited to begin this process but super nervous as I am sure you all are as well. Just wondering what you think my chances are. I am super concerned about my step 1 score. Toward the end of my first year of medical school, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma and I decided to stay in medical school during chemotherapy which took me into my 2nd year of medical school. I had a relapse scare 3 weeks before taking step 1. All turned out ok, but it rocked my world and I was a mess. I am strong now and have been in remission ever since, but I am worried I will be weeded out before anyone can see my application. What are your thoughts...do you think most programs weed out based on Step 1?
Here are my stats:
Step 1: 223, Step 2: 249, Step 3: 230
AOA from residency
Research experiences (14)
Published articles (5) all pubmed cited (2 first authors)
8 published abstracts all from national conferences including one from ASH and 1 from ASCO
6 submitted manuscripts (4 are 1st author)
2 abstracts accepted to SOHO with poster presentations
14 poster presentations
2 oral presentations
2 book chapters
At a residency with a top 20 cancer center
LORs are strong: 1 from Chair of Hematology Oncology, 1 from Chief of Outpatient Oncology, and 1 from MD, PhD assistant professor research mentor.

I believe that's correct, although I've been advised to try to get it done ASAP -- if just so that we stop fussing and worrying about it!

As a brief aside, I would love for all my stinkin' LORs to be uploaded/processed so I can assign them and be done with it. But, as with residency and despite my best efforts, all four of my letters are currently still in EFDO hell, LOL. C'est la vie...

Hey all, excited to begin this process but super nervous as I am sure you all are as well. Just wondering what you think my chances are. I am super concerned about my step 1 score. Toward the end of my first year of medical school, I was diagnosed with Lymphoma and I decided to stay in medical school during chemotherapy which took me into my 2nd year of medical school. I had a relapse scare 3 weeks before taking step 1. All turned out ok, but it rocked my world and I was a mess. I am strong now and have been in remission ever since, but I am worried I will be weeded out before anyone can see my application. What are your thoughts...do you think most programs weed out based on Step 1?
Here are my stats:
Step 1: 223, Step 2: 249, Step 3: 230
AOA from residency
Research experiences (14)
Published articles (5) all pubmed cited (2 first authors)
8 published abstracts all from national conferences including one from ASH and 1 from ASCO
6 submitted manuscripts (4 are 1st author)
2 abstracts accepted to SOHO with poster presentations
14 poster presentations
2 oral presentations
2 book chapters
At a residency with a top 20 cancer center
LORs are strong: 1 from Chair of Hematology Oncology, 1 from Chief of Outpatient Oncology, and 1 from MD, PhD assistant professor research mentor.
Hey, welcome to the thread. I totally get the anxiety -- I'm a mess myself.

That said, let me provide you some reassurance. You are going to be fine. Seriously. Your step 1 score is simply not that low. I'm just a fellow applicant, but I suspect it'll make it through most, if not all, program cut-offs. And the rest of your app is incredible! You're a high-performing AMG at a strong program with good LORs, an INCREDIBLE number of pubs, and a pretty dope story. Your post history doesn't make you seem like an utter sociopath, so... yeah, you're gonna crush it.

Hang in there and good luck on the trail!

Last edited:
Hi All,

My background

Research:

Please do consider NIH if you are interested in BMT, even though interested in being in CA. I may be biased, but I think NIH has an excellent transplant program (spoken as the program director for the NIH Heme/Onc fellowship, a native Californian lured out to the East Coast to work at NIH, and as a transplanter) NIH Hematology Oncology Fellowship

Please do consider NIH if you are interested in BMT, even though interested in being in CA. I may be biased, but I think NIH has an excellent transplant program (spoken as the program director for the NIH Heme/Onc fellowship, a native Californian lured out to the East Coast to work at NIH, and as a transplanter) NIH Hematology Oncology Fellowship
If you are truly the PD for the NIH program, I weep for your inbox.

• Haha
Good luck to everyone this year! Hopefully will be a mix of virtual/in-person, but who knows. In any case, was looking for some advice on how many programs to apply to - was tentatively thinking of ~30 given the uncertainty of this year.
  • USMD, mid-tier school
  • Step 1: 25x & Step 2: 26x, Step 3: 25x
  • Residency: Mid tier academic
  • Research:
    • 3 oncology posters from med school
    • 2 posters + 1 onc manuscript (1st author) submitted from residency
    • 1 ongoing case series that won't be done in time
  • LORs: 1 from PD, 3 from academic oncologists at my institution
Thinking of broadly applying throughout the south / midwest. Thanks!

Good luck to everyone this year! Hopefully will be a mix of virtual/in-person, but who knows. In any case, was looking for some advice on how many programs to apply to - was tentatively thinking of ~30 given the uncertainty of this year.
  • USMD, mid-tier school
  • Step 1: 25x & Step 2: 26x, Step 3: 25x
  • Residency: Mid tier academic
  • Research:
    • 3 oncology posters from med school
    • 2 posters + 1 onc manuscript (1st author) submitted from residency
    • 1 ongoing case series that won't be done in time
  • LORs: 1 from PD, 3 from academic oncologists at my institution
Thinking of broadly applying throughout the south / midwest. Thanks!
As long as you have a good number of mid-tier programs on your list, that should be fine

Of course my submitted paper would get accepted two days after I certified my application. Sigh. Oh well, at least this is good news! I can always send out an annoying 'update' email with the acceptance if I'm not getting interview offers, I guess.

Of course my submitted paper would get accepted two days after I certified my application. Sigh. Oh well, at least this is good news! I can always send out an annoying 'update' email with the acceptance if I'm not getting interview offers, I guess.
That is the best bad news. Definitely send an update and put it on their radar.

How long did ERAS take to process your certification/submission?

That is the best bad news. Definitely send an update and put it on their radar.

How long did ERAS take to process your certification/submission?
It happened pretty much instantly, IIRC! If there was a processing time, it was less than a day; everything was done when I logged in the next morning to assign a letter.

Hi guys, fellow applicant here.
I am getting super anxious because our program director has not uploaded the letter of recommendation for everyone yet. We requested LOR months ago. I already sent a follow-up email regarding that. I already have other 3 strong LORs, but I cannot apply yet as he is our program director. What do you suggest, guys? Anyone else in the same boat? Should I go ahead and apply as planned, and update the application once I get his LOR? or should I wait his LOR and then apply? Will appreciate any input. Thanks!

Hi guys, fellow applicant here.
I am getting super anxious because our program director has not uploaded the letter of recommendation for everyone yet. We requested LOR months ago. I already sent a follow-up email regarding that. I already have other 3 strong LORs, but I cannot apply yet as he is our program director. What do you suggest, guys? Anyone else in the same boat? Should I go ahead and apply as planned, and update the application once I get his LOR? or should I wait his LOR and then apply? Will appreciate any input. Thanks!
You should absolutely apply. Letters will get there when they get there. Don't sit around and wait for that 1 LOR.

IMG on J1 visa. Applying as 3rd year resident (no chief year). From a University program (not top), Following are my stats:
Step 1: 24x, Step 2: 24x, Step 3: 22x
5: full published manuscripts (2 as first author).
6: Abstracts (1 oral presentation)
2: submitted research (1 case report and one original study)
I have letters from 2 oncologist from my program, 1 PD, and one from my research mentor at MD Anderson.

Is this competitive enough, what if I don't match? What can I do to become a better applicant next year?

Thanks!
Blue tomato chips

Hi guys, for ERAS application, are you guys putting the medical observership under volunteer experience? (Within 5 years). I’ve heard different opinions. Some say that as it’s not Heme-onc related, I should not put it. Some say that as those are clinical experiences, I should keep them. 🤷‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.