Hematology/Oncology 2020-2021 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Emory. Saw invites on the spreadsheet today. US MD only so far

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nothing but rejections for the past 8 days. **takes in deep breath**

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
The match is going to be very interesting.. will there be a lot of unmatched spots this year? Thoughts?

The match is going to be very interesting.. will there be a lot of unmatched spots this year? Thoughts?
I don't think so, Because for each program received more than 350 applications for 3 or 4 fellowship spots

Folks,

Any one here received an Interview Invitation from

Wake forest university Winston-Salem NC,
Wright State University Program Dayton OH

Folks,

Any one here received an Interview Invitation from

Wake forest university Winston-Salem NC,
Wright State University Program Dayton OH

I received one from wake forest this morning

Hey everyone, I went to go see if I could create normal distributions for the interview data and noticed something interesting. This year it almost appears as if we're starting to have a strange distribution amongst interviews obtained at this point in time. In order to describe this/calculate it more precisely, I've added an "other" option to question one.

For those who have >10 interviews, would you mind going back (Click "edit my response") and just click the checkbox next to the "other" box (in addition to the "10+" box you clicked before) and type precisely how many interviews y'all have into that "other" box please?

Afterwards I plan on modeling this under a normal curve. I think the results will be interesting/very telling. I know there's a lot of debate out there as to whether or not programs will go unfilled this year and I think this might be a point in one direction or the other.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I went to go see if I could create normal distributions for the interview data and noticed something interesting. This year it almost appears as if we're starting to have a strange distribution amongst interviews obtained at this point in time. In order to describe this/calculate it more precisely, I've added an "other" option to question one.

For those who have >10 interviews, would you mind going back (Click "edit my response") and just click the checkbox next to the "other" box (in addition to the "10+" box you clicked before) and type precisely how many interviews y'all have into that "other" box please?

Afterwards I plan on modeling this under a normal curve. I think the results will be interesting/very telling. I know there's a lot of debate out there as to whether or not programs will go unfilled this year and I think this might be a point in one direction or the other.
Did you run this by your IRB? ;)

Did you run this by your IRB? ;)

LOL! Also as a side note what the heck is going on this year?? Last year folks from my institution (large well known academic institution that grandma's probably heard of) were getting interviews everywhere and now a couple of us are just sitting on like 3-5 interviews. I feel defective lol. Been going through my application weekly being like "did I mess this up... is there a typo in this personal statement... maybe my program director wrote me a horrible letter?" I know it's probably useless but just venting in anonymity.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL! Also as a side note what the heck is going on this year?? Last year folks from my institution (large well known academic institution that grandma's probably heard of) were getting interviews everywhere and now a couple of us are just sitting on like 3-5 interviews. I feel defective lol. Been going through my application weekly being like "did I mess this up... is there a typo in this personal statement... maybe my program director wrote me a horrible letter?" I know it's probably useless but just venting in anonymity.

Oh God, I am not the only paranoid one. Keep reading ERAS printouts over and over

Hi @gutonc, re: fellowship/interviews, I had an issue come up yesterday and would appreciate your input. I’ll see if I can send you a message directly. Thanks.

I've given up hope that I'll get more interviews at this point - what a dispiriting cycle!

Two yeras ago I recieved interview invites well into October. I know this year is strange but there is still time.

A general question to applicants - given that interviews will be virtual, how do you think this will affect how you rank programs? For those that have done interviews so far, do you think you have been able to adequately get a feel for the program? I interviewed in fall 2016 and loved going around the country, meeting people, seeing facilities... there really was a sense of "is this the right fit for me?" I also thought it was very useful in considering where I would want to work post-fellowship. If you have thoughts on how your interviewing experience has changed how you evaluate rank list, please share.

I think you're obviously going to lose some of what the perceived culture is, vibes of the program, etc. with virtual interviews instead of traveling to each place, hospital.

As for ranking, you just do the best you can with the information you are able to obtain and make the best decision for you and your family.

A general question to applicants - given that interviews will be virtual, how do you think this will affect how you rank programs? For those that have done interviews so far, do you think you have been able to adequately get a feel for the program? I interviewed in fall 2016 and loved going around the country, meeting people, seeing facilities... there really was a sense of "is this the right fit for me?" I also thought it was very useful in considering where I would want to work post-fellowship. If you have thoughts on how your interviewing experience has changed how you evaluate rank list, please share.
I've done 4 interviews so far and to be honest, you can actually get a pretty good sense of everything; it's not too much different than in-person, except you don't get to see the city, so you're going off of videos and word of mouth. It sucks sitting down for so many hours straight but if the program puts forward the effort, you get to meet fellows and interact. They'll describe facilities/workroom space (not the same as seeing it yourself, but you can tease out details). So far, I'd probably choose to do virtual again to save >$5k on travel etc

Alright everyone, time for descriptive statistics #1,

This time modeled around USMD Interviews.

Column1​
Mean
9.123287671​
Standard Error
0.735319334​
Median
8​
Mode
2​
Standard Deviation
6.282571142​
Sample Variance
39.47070015​
Kurtosis
-0.244190838​
Skewness
0.742965238​
Range
26​
Minimum
0​
Maximum
26​
Count
73​
Largest(1)
26​
Smallest(1)
0​
Confidence Level(95.0%)
1.465832302​

In order to generate this I unfortunately had to assume some data (I basically assumed a normal distribution around the mean of 10+ responses I got) but regardless this is pretty interesting.

If you notice the right skew and negative excess kurtosis, this basically means that as of right now, we're (probably) in a feast or famine situation with a couple outliers on the right having a bunch of interviews and most people falling somewhere around 8 interviews, but this is not as extreme as people expect. That being said, this interpretation is tricky because our data is not even close to being normally distributed. In fact, it's probably closer to a bimodal distribution (double bell curve). More updates to come.

Last edited:
  • Hmm

Column1​
Mean
9.123287671​
Standard Error
0.735319334​
Median
8​
Mode
2​
Standard Deviation
6.282571142​
Sample Variance
39.47070015​
Kurtosis
-0.244190838​
Skewness
0.742965238​
Range
26​
Minimum
0​
Maximum
26​
Count
73​
Largest(1)
26​
Smallest(1)
0​
Confidence Level(95.0%)
1.465832302​

In order to generate this I unfortunately had to assume some data (I basically assumed a normal distribution under the mean of 10+ responses I got) but regardless this is pretty interesting.

If you notice the right skew and negative excess kurtosis, this basically means that as of right now, we're (probably) in a feast or famine situation with a couple outliers on the right having a bunch of interviews and most people falling somewhere around 8 interviews, but this is not as extreme as people expect. That being said, this interpretation is tricky because our data is not even close to being normally distributed. In fact, it's probably closer to a bimodal distribution (double bell curve). More updates to come.
Great to hear, If we can get 8 to 10 Interviews, There is high chance we can match some where

I am praying THE GOD: Please give us strength, support, courage and uplift with your divine power and infinite positive energy for everyone to get 8 -10 interviews.

Thank you

Column1​
Mean
9.123287671​
Standard Error
0.735319334​
Median
8​
Mode
2​
Standard Deviation
6.282571142​
Sample Variance
39.47070015​
Kurtosis
-0.244190838​
Skewness
0.742965238​
Range
26​
Minimum
0​
Maximum
26​
Count
73​
Largest(1)
26​
Smallest(1)
0​
Confidence Level(95.0%)
1.465832302​

In order to generate this I unfortunately had to assume some data (I basically assumed a normal distribution around the mean of 10+ responses I got) but regardless this is pretty interesting.

The range of observations is most interesting indeed: 0-26!. There is definitely a skew but does not appear to be a large one. Would explain why IMG applicants are experiencing low interview numbers in general; especially considering that there might be fewer cancellations than usual.

Hey all, just to pre-empt things a bit. The cohort for the data above are only USMDs. Also, just as a heads up, this does NOT mean that you need 8 programs ranked to match somewhere. You could honestly match somewhere with 1 program ranked for all I know and fail to match with 16 programs ranked. Will look more at the data as things continue to roll in. Feel free to update your responses if you need to or contribute to the survey if you haven't (If you have >10 interviews please place how many you have in the "other" box in question 1)

Hey all, just to pre-empt things a bit. The cohort for the data above are only USMDs. Also, just as a heads up, this does NOT mean that you need 8 programs ranked to match somewhere. You could honestly match somewhere with 1 program ranked for all I know and fail to match with 16 programs ranked. Will look more at the data as things continue to roll in. Feel free to update your responses if you need to or contribute to the survey if you haven't (If you have >10 interviews please place how many you have in the "other" box in question 1)

That is totally true. I actually know a few people who didnt match with 8-9 and one person who matched with 2. However, all our lives we have been taught to think based on data and statistics. Which is awesome but during times like this it backfires. Its so damn hard to ignore statistics and to just hope.......

Last edited:
That is totally true. I actually know a few people who didnt match with 8-9 and one person who matched with 2. However, all our lives we have been taught to think based on data and statistics. Which is awesome but during times like this it backfires. Its so damn hard to ignore statistics and to just hope.......

I agree, I know person who matched with 1 interview and I also know someone who did not match with 15 - in Hem/Onc

I don't know. 15 interviews is a lot and if you don't match with that many interviews I think you just need to do some serious self-evaluation. Plus, anecdotes of people matching with 1 interview and not matching with 15 are the absolute extremes. The vast majority of us should not feel the need to interview that many places. Even with interviews being cheap and easy this year that is way too many imo.

Is it possible to join 2 zoom interviews at same time?

For reference, I have a morning interview for program A that ends at 1:30pm. I have an afternoon program for program B who’s entire session starts at 1:00pm. The last 30 minutes of program A is a Q/A with the current fellows. The first hour of program B is a overview of program with the PD/others. I am interested in both programs and they do not have other dates available. They are both in the same time zone. Does this sound feasible from a tech standpoint? It will only be approximately 30 minutes of overlap. I have 2 laptops if needed.

For reference, I have a morning interview for program A that ends at 1:30pm. I have an afternoon program for program B who’s entire session starts at 1:00pm. The last 30 minutes of program A is a Q/A with the current fellows. The first hour of program B is a overview of program with the PD/others. I am interested in both programs and they do not have other dates available. They are both in the same time zone. Does this sound feasible from a tech standpoint? It will only be approximately 30 minutes of overlap. I have 2 laptops if needed.

Yes, It is possible if you use 2 different laptops, I have done many Zoom meetings with same person login 2 or 3 different meetings at the same time zone.

Curious and common sense question: During your interview sessions, If they both are asking/saying some thing important about their program....which one would you pay attention to details....Its better you openly communicate them about overlap and they will definitely move their schedule 30 minutes away, so that overlap will be avoided.

My best interest for you to perform best of best with your time. that's the reason I added curious and common sense question. Hope it will help you.

Thank you

Yes, It is possible if you use 2 different laptops, I have done many Zoom meetings with same person login 2 or 3 different meetings at the same time zone.

Curious and common sense question: During your interview sessions, If they both are asking/saying some thing important about their program....which one would you pay attention to details....Its better you openly communicate them about overlap and they will definitely move their schedule 30 minutes away, so that overlap will be avoided.

My best interest for you to perform best of best with your time. that's the reason I added curious and common sense question. Hope it will help you.

Thank you

thanks for the reply. So the only way to do this from a tech standpoint is to use 2 computers? I cannot just join 2 zoom meetings with the same account on 1 computer?

I would probably listen to program A fellows Q/A closely from 1:00-1:15. I won’t have questions to ask and it’s mainly just listening to them talk. Program B’s intro session is going to begin with the PC making sure everyone is present and getting everything ready so I imagine this wouldn’t be done until 1:10 anyways. Realistically I think it’s just 20 minutes of overlap because the fellows Q/A can end early if few questions are asked.

thanks for the reply. So the only way to do this from a tech standpoint is to use 2 computers? I cannot just join 2 zoom meetings with the same account on 1 computer?

I would probably listen to program A fellows Q/A closely from 1:00-1:15. I won’t have questions to ask and it’s mainly just listening to them talk. Program B’s intro session is going to begin with the PC making sure everyone is present and getting everything ready so I imagine this wouldn’t be done until 1:10 anyways. Realistically I think it’s just 20 minutes of overlap because the fellows Q/A can end early if few questions are asked.

This could turn out very badly. I would just tell the first interview that you might have to break away early from the fellows Q&A and ask them if you could get contact info for a fellow or two for additional questions. You could even just turn off your video and mute the system when you start the next interview. If you do it this way, you have complete control over the situation and nobody will be suspicious of you. If you try to join both without at least telling the first program, your interviews could go over time or be extended or any number of technical issues could push back the time and then you could screw yourself out of two programs.

Also, you cannot open 2 zoom sessions on the same laptop because they will both need to use your camera and audio system, so that is technically not feasible.

I am very confident your laptop zoom instance will not allow it, what ever laptop (you may use windows or Mac) If you try to login 2 nd meeting when you are already on 1 st one, then zoom will recognize existing instance and overwrite with later one by exiting from 1 st meeting.

Another thing you may want to think about (listening): Your laptop have 1 set of speakers/head set, How do you reduce volume of 1 meeting and how do you let other meeting volume play as is to hear well ? where as both meetings are in play, I am not talking about Microphone at all.

Simulate the scenario: You may want to try with trail run to ask your 2 friends create 2 different zoom meetings at same time and you try to join them and see your outcome

Thank you

I am very confident your laptop zoom instance will not allow it, what ever laptop (you may use windows or Mac) If you try to login 2 nd meeting when you are already on 1 st one, then zoom will recognize existing instance and overwrite with later one by exiting from 1 st meeting.

Another thing you may want to think about (listening): Your laptop have 1 set of speakers/head set, How do you reduce volume of 1 meeting and how do you let other meeting volume play as is to hear well ? where as both meetings are in play, I am not talking about Microphone at all.

Simulate the scenario: You may want to try with trail run to ask your 2 friends create 2 different zoom meetings at same time and you try to join them and see your outcome

Thank you

Y'all are making it way too complicated. Ask the AM program if you can leave at 1 PM as you another obligation. Keep it vague. I am sure they would understand. If they give you hard time, be very careful as they are going to show similar inflexibility when you are a fellow there.

Reactions: 3 users

Fwiw as a current fellow who’s involved in some of the Q/A sessions at my program, I’d prefer if you were up front about a situation like this (or even just keeping it vague that you’ll have to leave early like someone suggested).

If I see you obviously distracted at any point and you then have 0 questions about our program...it’s not the best look

I agree with the fellow above. You're making this way too complicated for yourself. People don't care if you're done with all your interviews and need to leave b/c of some obligation. As a current fellow, I certainly don't care if you don't stay for the Q/A, and the program coordinator won't either (as long as you completed your interviews by the time you leave, which you will be).

where will I find the most update excel sheet for the sent out invites. Thank you.

Have you considered pointing two laptops at each other and making the programs fight over you?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

It will be exhausting to do 2 interviews in one day. but I guess depends on ur energy level and how much u want to go to either program.

Probably it makes u look less interested in the 1st program if you tell them "u have other obligations" and did not allocate zoom time for them. Its not like you are traveling to different town and u have a last plane to catch.

Y'all are making it way too complicated. Ask the AM program if you can leave at 1 PM as you another obligation. Keep it vague. I am sure they would understand. If they give you hard time, be very careful as they are going to show similar inflexibility when you are a fellow there.

I said the same as you said in my 1 st reply, the above message is to explore technical possibilities only.

Thank you

Anyone with Ohio State interview invite get an email back from their program coordinator confirming an interview date?

Med student here wondering if anybody has an answer for me on this (couldn't find much). For Heme/onc is it common for most applicants to be/do a chief resident year? I've heard for GI its a soft requirement. Is this the case for H/O?

Med student here wondering if anybody has an answer for me on this (couldn't find much). For Heme/onc is it common for most applicants to be/do a chief resident year? I've heard for GI its a soft requirement. Is this the case for H/O?
Absolutely not. And same for GI.

How would you rank the following based on strength/reputation? Current order is how I am ranking currently, albeit with a few interviews left to do still.

1. Duke
2. Yale
3. OHSU (Oregon)
4. UTSW
5. Ohio State
6. Fox Chase
7. Maryland
8. VCU
9. Brown
10. Tufts
11. Montefiore

How would you rank the following based on strength/reputation? Current order is how I am ranking currently, albeit with a few interviews left to do still.

1. Duke
2. Yale
3. OHSU (Oregon)
4. UTSW
5. Ohio State
6. Fox Chase
7. Maryland
8. VCU
9. Brown
10. Tufts
11. Montefiore

Hard to say without knowing your career goals

First week of interviews - done! Have to say, its going LOT better than I thought it would. I started liking virtual interviews better :D

Enjoy ur weekend everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.