Hematology/Oncology 2022-2023 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aneurysmal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am excited to participate in/start an official thread for the upcoming 2022-2023 heme/onc fellowship match cycle. Feels just like when we applied for our residencies, back to working on our CVs, PSs and obtaining LoRs.

Looks like some programs still want to do zoom interviews this year as well. What are your thoughts on applying and how are you guys planning the whole thing, we have a month left to go!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So the ERAS website finally updated with new timelines for 2023 season

June 8, 2022ERAS 2023 season begins at 9 a.m. ET.
June 9, 2022EFDO will release tokens to fellowship applicants.
July 6, 2022July cycle fellowship applicants may begin submitting applications to programs at 9 a.m. ET.
July 20, 2022July cycle fellowship programs may begin reviewing applications at 9 a.m. ET.
November 16, 2022December cycle fellowship applicants may begin submitting applications to programs at 9 a.m. ET.
December 7, 2022 December cycle fellowship programs may begin reviewing applications at 9 a.m. ET.
May 31, 2023 ERAS 2023 season ends at 5 p.m. ET.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ll be applying this cycle. Look forward to meeting some of you in the zoom lobbies/trail if any programs go back to in person.

Anyone applying with gap years as BMT hospitalist or from one of those research fellowships? Thoughts on whether it hurts or helps your apps for big academic programs if you continue to be productive?

Edit: At an NCI cancer institute with a track record of placing residents at strong programs, but my SO is looking towards Boston for jobs where we rarely send residents. Would it help to take a hospitalist job for 2 years while actively doing research to increase chances at matching Boston academic programs?

Last edited:
Anyone applying with gap years as BMT hospitalist or from one of those research fellowships? Thoughts on whether it hurts or helps your apps for big academic programs if you continue to be productive?

Edit: At an NCI cancer institute with a track record of placing residents at strong programs, but my SO is looking towards Boston for jobs where we rarely send residents. Would it help to take a hospitalist job for 2 years while actively doing research to increase chances at matching Boston academic programs?
Why not just apply to Boston programs and find out for yourself? Most of the time when a program "doesn't match residents to city/program X" it's because people don't apply there, not because the residents aren't capable of doing so. I can only think of one resident who matched in Boston from my program in the 3-4 years I was paying attention (nephro at BWH), but we matched plenty of people during that time at places like Hopkins, Duke, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, MDACC, NW, etc.

If you don't match, sure, find an oncology hospitalist job or a non-accredited fellowship (BMT, Phase 1, etc) for the year and then see how it goes.

Reactions: 1 user

Not specifically a Boston program, but I know people who did the leukemia fellowship at MDACC prior to matching heme onc at my program. So if you are at a big Boston center doing one of these onc Hospitalist jobs, might open doors in that region.

You could also just do BMT, it’s the best.

Hey everyone. I am an incoming fellow at an NCI designated cancer center. Happy to help if anyone has questions. I remember my fellowship application from last year and how stressful it can be. I got a lot of help from people (applicants and fellows) on SDN.

Hello everyone! I am an incoming intern at a mid/lower tier Internal Medicine program and want to apply for Hem/Onc fellowship after completion of my residency. My scores are not impressive: Step 1 - 232, Step 2: 247. Non-US IMG with J1.
I do not have a Hem/Onc-related research but will get into some due to my Program's affiliation with a bigger university. Have 3 pubs from undergrad as one of the authors (not first) in a different field ( Micro).
As far as I know, Hem/Onc is getting more and more competitive and I am not exactly a stellar candidate, so If you would give me any kind of advice to increase my chances of getting into Hem/Onc. What can I do in my intern year to get ready for a tough match?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Asking this question on behalf of someone I know,

Would you use the letters from 2 years ago for a fellowship reapplication?

My advice for them was to get new letters or at least the same letter with a new date.

Asking this question on behalf of someone I know,

Would you use the letters from 2 years ago for a fellowship reapplication?

My advice for them was to get new letters or at least the same letter with a new date.
Its always better to get new letters and update the letter writer's as well.

Is it recommended to submit application by July 6th or can we wait until July 19th when programs start having access to applications? Some people have been telling me the applications move "lower down the stack" if one delays application. Is there any truth to this at all?

Is it recommended to submit application by July 6th or can we wait until July 19th when programs start having access to applications? Some people have been telling me the applications move "lower down the stack" if one delays application. Is there any truth to this at all?
Always submit as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding with eras is that July 6 is the earliest you can submit and certify your app, but July 20 is the earliest day eras will release your application to fellowship programs. So submitting anytime from july 6 to july 19 should be fine, you dont move lower in the queue if you submit by july 19, only after.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you think uploading the LOR that I used for my internal medicine residency is a good idea? It is from prominent hem/onc doctors but for internal medicine specialty.

Do you think uploading the LOR that I used for my internal medicine residency is a good idea? It is from prominent hem/onc doctors but for internal medicine specialty.
Yes...that's weird. Because it will say "@redskybluerose will make a great internist".

oh right, maybe my recent letters can confirm if I did it or not.

:D just joking

Do we need step3 done for hem onc apps? I'm applying fast-track and haven't done it yet...saw on some websites they want step 3? Or is it okay to take it some time later as long as it's before matriculating?

Hoping someone can help me with my chances of matching this cycle with a massive red flag from med school (failing PE back in the day)

I did well in med school: COMLEX 1: 600, 2: 620 and 3: 635 step 1: 240, 2: 241 then I failed PE (passed on 2nd attempt); no other failure with good grades and letters. I matched into a good mid tiered IM program and has been doing well; involved with extracurricular (AMA and class rep). A couple poster presentations and case report published as 2nd and 3rd authors. Because of that PE failure, I am very nervous about my chances. Further, unfortunately my institution has no oncology fellowship and I need a J1 visa.

With that said, I am planning to apply to many programs; I am not very restricted with geography but I would like to match into a good fellowship where I will train well and not fly-by-the-night programs I heard from many seniors about.

Hoping someone can share their experiences or guidances!

It seems like the EFDO processing times for letters are MUCH longer than the 5 days they quote online. I had a letter submitted on 6/26 that still isn't verified. Have others been seeing the same things? What happens if a letter is confirmed after a program downloads your application? Will they still see it?

It seems like the EFDO processing times for letters are MUCH longer than the 5 days they quote online. I had a letter submitted on 6/26 that still isn't verified. Have others been seeing the same things? What happens if a letter is confirmed after a program downloads your application? Will they still see it?
Yes, my first letter was uploaded 6/18 and not confirmed until 6/27.

Same here, uploaded 06/27 - still says "EFDO processing", possibly due to long weekend? I need to call them today and check why there is so much delay, none of my medicine letters are uploaded yet and I am mildly freaking out because of this.

Attachments

• this-is-fine-anxiety.gif
    this-is-fine-anxiety.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
Also it seems like the whispers I'm hearing suggest virtual interviews but no one seems to have it on the website? Any thoughts or things others have heard?

Also it seems like the whispers I'm hearing suggest virtual interviews but no one seems to have it on the website? Any thoughts or things others have heard?
home program confirmed virtual interview this year

Hi all, quick question. When a program lists 3 letters of rec on their website (1 PD and 2 others), that typically means they only want you to send the 3 total rather than 4, correct? Thanks and good luck to everyone applying!

Hi all, quick question. When a program lists 3 letters of rec on their website (1 PD and 2 others), that typically means they only want you to send the 3 total rather than 4, correct? Thanks and good luck to everyone applying!

I emailed some of the programs and they said they will review up to 4. So I guess it’s okay if you attach 4

Any updates on EFDO? All my letters are pending processing.

Looks like EFDO is taking forever to process everything! Anyone else having the same issue?

Looks like EFDO is taking forever to process everything! Anyone else having the same issue?

First letter took 9 days, second letter been 7 days still processing. EFDO just taking forever I’m worried if some of my important letters will even be released before 19th. If an important letter (say PD) is not released by 19th do we submit it before the deadline (20th) or wait until all letters are uploaded?

First letter took 9 days, second letter been 7 days still processing. EFDO just taking forever I’m worried if some of my important letters will even be released before 19th. If an important letter (say PD) is not released by 19th do we submit it before the deadline (20th) or wait until all letters are uploaded?
Definitely submit before the deadline. Programs can access your letters later. FWIW though, EDFO tends to pick up the pace as the submission deadline nears, so your letter should be released in time.

I counted six business days for first 2 letters, I’m still missing one letter that hasn’t been submitted yet. I’m just going ahead and submit my app and hope for the best at this point.

Just submit. I assure you that nobody is going to make the initial yes/no decision on offering an interview based on your LORs.

Just submit. I assure you that nobody is going to make the initial yes/no decision on offering an interview based on your LORs.

After many reminders, two letter writers finally uploaded today

Help me pick please, what would be preferable?
1. 3 heme/onc letters + 1 PD letter
Or
2. 2 heme/onc letters + 1 PD letter + 1 APD (my mentor) letter?

Should I include resident report/noon lectures I presented that were heme-onc related on my app?

Are people listing being an invited reviewer for journals on app? Like once and put all the journals, one entry per journal, or not at all?

If a program's website does not specifically list that they require MSPE letter and/or medical school transcript, does that mean they are not expecting these documents?

Are people listing being an invited reviewer for journals on app? Like once and put all the journals, one entry per journal, or not at all?
I would certainly list that, and just list as one activity with all the journals in that entry.

Hi guys. Any sense on what the filters are when it comes to selecting candidates for interviews? Do they go through all the applications in entirety or do they first apply filters and then look at the applications? And what are the common filter, for example the cut offs for scores etc?

Hi guys. Any sense on what the filters are when it comes to selecting candidates for interviews? Do they go through all the applications in entirety or do they first apply filters and then look at the applications? And what are the common filter, for example the cut offs for scores etc?
If it's a discrete value in ERAS, somebody's going to filter on it. Filters are also dynamic. So you can choose a filter, apply it and then tighten or loosen it to get the numbers you're looking for. You can also combine filters to be more selective. Every program does it differently and will change not just from year to year but from day to day.

No point trying to read the tea leaves. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

If it's a discrete value in ERAS, somebody's going to filter on it. Filters are also dynamic. So you can choose a filter, apply it and then tighten or loosen it to get the numbers you're looking for. You can also combine filters to be more selective. Every program does it differently and will change not just from year to year but from day to day.

No point trying to read the tea leaves. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
And before anybody asks, I matched to (what I think is a good) fellowship a few years ago with mediocre/average of everything that could be filtered, you are probably more competitive than you think.

Just waving hello to this year's applicants; I found last years thread to be helpful and will try to weigh in with my extremely-limited expertise as a first year fellow.
If I recall correctly, I bundled everything under "editorial responsibilities."

Hi guys. So one of my letter writers ghosted me. I only have 2 letters uploaded so far. My back up letter writer + my other heme onc attending will be uploading it in the coming week. I plan to not submit the application until at least one of the heme onc letters is uploaded so I will end up being at least a week late. How badly will this affect my chances?

I'm a US IMG.
I graduated last year and this interim year I'm doing an advanced fellowship (sickle cell, thrombosis, BMT- not specifying to maintain anonymity)

Should I include resident report/noon lectures I presented that were heme-onc related on my app?
yes, I did. As my previous chief told me, it's not the quality, but rather the quantity of the items listed on your CV

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys. So one of my letter writers ghosted me. I only have 2 letters uploaded so far. My back up letter writer + my other heme onc attending will be uploading it in the coming week. I plan to not submit the application until at least one of the heme onc letters is uploaded so I will end up being at least a week late. How badly will this affect my chances?
This is a bad idea, please don't do this. Submit and let your LORs roll in when they do.
yes, I did. As my previous chief told me, it's not the quality, but rather the quantity of the items listed on your CV
Your previous chief is an idiot. This is terrible advice and patently false. Noon conference/morning report presentations like listing all the onc patients you presented on rounds.

This is a bad idea, please don't do this. Submit and let your LORs roll in when they do.

Your previous chief is an idiot. This is terrible advice and patently false. Noon conference/morning report presentations like listing all the onc patients you presented on rounds.
I can't seem to assign the LoRs to ERAS if they have not been processed by EFDO. This means that the programs will not have access to those letters when they download the application. What do I do? Just apply with two letters and assign the remainder once they are processed by EFDO? Some programs mention on their websites that they do not review incomplete applications.

I can't seem to assign the LoRs to ERAS if they have not been processed by EFDO. This means that the programs will not have access to those letters when they download the application. What do I do? Just apply with two letters and assign the remainder once they are processed by EFDO? Some programs mention on their websites that they do not review incomplete applications
July 18th will be 5 business day but given that the past letters took more than 5, I am worried I may not have them processed before July 20th