Hematology/Oncology 2021-2022 Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it worth reaching out to programs that have already sent you a rejection email? Any personal experience/anecdote?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have a link for questions to prepare for the IVs? Or a file?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a link for questions to prepare for the IVs? Or a file?

thanks in advance!
I don't, but I did speak to a mentor in my program about this. The response that I got included questions you might expect, such as:

1.) What is one piece of work you have done that you are proud of?
2.) Why are you interested in this subspecialty? What are your long term goals?
3.) How can our program help you to advance your career interests?
4.) Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how did you handled the situation.
5.) Tell me something interesting that’s not on your application.

I hope that helps! If you are still a resident, you may want to reach out to your program as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't, but I did speak to a mentor in my program about this. The response that I got included questions you might expect, such as:

4.) Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how did you handled the situation.

I hope that helps! If you are still a resident, you may want to reach out to your program as well.
Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you! I appreciate your kindness! Good Luck! :luck:

HI guys, I hope everyone is doing well. Do you guys do mock interview? My program is not that supportive. I don't know who to ask for help.

HI guys, I hope everyone is doing well. Do you guys do mock interview? My program is not that supportive. I don't know who to ask for help.
I'm a few years out from when I applied for fellowship, but in general I can't imagine these being particularly helpful. Just make sure you are able to explain any research projects you listed on your CV and have a reasonable answer to common questions, like "Why do you want to be an oncologist?", "Why this program?", etc.

If possible I would try to schedule programs you're less interested in for the few few and put the ones you have the most interest in in the middle when you are on a roll. Personally I got really tired of interviewing towards the end (around program #8+), so might not want to save the best for last in this case.

Reactions: 2 users
It is so sad that someone(s) continues to delete the chats on the spreadsheet. It concerns me that people like that are doctors, and I hope to never become a co-fellow with someone like that.

Should we shift the chat back to this thread..? Especially for the precious pieces of advice that we receive from people that already went through the process.

It is so sad that someone(s) continues to delete the chats on the spreadsheet. It concerns me that people like that are doctors, and I hope to never become a co-fellow with someone like that.

Should we shift the chat back to this thread..? Especially for the precious pieces of advice that we receive from people that already went through the process.
I've been warning you all about this for years. But nobody listens. The spreadsheet is (and always has been) a s***show. Use it if you want, but don't expect useful stuff from it.

You're welcome to move things back to this thread. I might weigh in here. I won't even bother to look for the spreadsheet.

Reactions: 3 users
I've been warning you all about this for years. But nobody listens. The spreadsheet is (and always has been) a s***show. Use it if you want, but don't expect useful stuff from it.

You're welcome to move things back to this thread. I might weigh in here. I won't even bother to look for the spreadsheet.
Thank you for all the support in this and previous years Gutonc.

I'm a few years out from when I applied for fellowship, but in general I can't imagine these being particularly helpful. Just make sure you are able to explain any research projects you listed on your CV and have a reasonable answer to common questions, like "Why do you want to be an oncologist?", "Why this program?", etc.

If possible I would try to schedule programs you're less interested in for the few few and put the ones you have the most interest in in the middle when you are on a roll. Personally I got really tired of interviewing towards the end (around program #8+), so might not want to save the best for last in this case.
Thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate your kindness. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed 100% as a current fellow. I'm way more likely to answer questions on here. At least that way it gets saved for someone in the future who uses the search function to look up a program.

Agreed 100% as a current fellow. I'm way more likely to answer questions on here. At least that way it gets saved for someone in the future who uses the search function to look up a program.
This is so true. I still go to last year’s thread quite often and there’s a lot of good stuff over there.

I have no interviews yet. Is it too late or there is still hope?

I don’t have any interviews yet. Still any hope or too late?

Same here.. I am just staying positive..there is nothing much I can do...
This is my post from last year:

"Two years ago I received interview invites well into October. I know this year is strange but there is still time."

As programs do interviews people will cancel and spots will open up. Also, some programs may add days if they do not find suitable candidates. I think at this time during my interview season I had only 2 interviews and ended up with 8 so there is still plenty of time. I would suggest, however, that you personally reach out to the program or programs that you desire the most.

This is my post from last year:

"Two years ago I received interview invites well into October. I know this year is strange but there is still time."

As programs do interviews people will cancel and spots will open up. Also, some programs may add days if they do not find suitable candidates. I think at this time during my interview season I had only 2 interviews and ended up with 8 so there is still plenty of time. I would suggest, however, that you personally reach out to the program or programs that you desire the most.
Thank you for the advice. Gives me more hope. I will reach out to the programs.

Gunners gonna Gun
:beat:

Anyone have knowledge of the subsidized housing options (if at all) at Memorial Sloan Kettering? Received an interview from them and coming from a very low COL city that is my main reservation as I have a small family too and couldn’t do a studio etc. thanks

Anyone have knowledge of the subsidized housing options (if at all) at Memorial Sloan Kettering? Received an interview from them and coming from a very low COL city that is my main reservation as I have a small family too and couldn’t do a studio etc. thanks
Had some of the best subsidized housing for programs in Manhattan. This is as of a few years ago a one bedroom was <3000 which is a great deal for NYC

• Wow
Do people moonlight a lot? Are their salaries a bit higher?
I don’t know about moonlighting but when a colleague of mine was a first year fellow back in 2016 they made I think 85k. I’m sure it’s only better now

How hard is it to get a J1 waiver in an academic setting? Does anyone have experience with that? Any specific geographic locations where it is more likely to achieve that?

Housing is expensive even when subsidized but generally much cheaper than market rate. They also pay the fellows more than most other programs. Another thing to consider is that if you and your spouse both work, hiring a nanny in Manhattan can be a very expensive proposition but the additional income will also help make ends meet. Personally, I think it's very worth interviewing and then deciding for yourself if it works.

Is anyone familiar with the situational judgement test from test.hravator.com? I have to take one as part of the interview process with one of the programs. I'm wondering how to approach this.

Is it too late to expect more invites coming in?
Sorry guys if I messed up the page. I was trying to ask a question if more interviews are expected to come in or if the end is coming but not sure where it ended up on the forum

Sorry guys if I messed up the page. I was trying to ask a question if more interviews are expected to come in or if the end is coming but not sure where it ended up on the forum
I believe that more will be coming as some of the programs are still reviewing. I just got one more today. Best wishes!

Reactions: 2 users
I believe that more will be coming as some of the programs are still reviewing. I just got one more today. Best wishes!
Congrats. I am not sure how common is cancellation but otherwise I believe it is only few programs that didn't send out invites yet

Have you guys been getting any in-person interviews this cycle? Some friends recently received invitations for in-person interviews - not sure if it would be viewed too negatively to ask whether those can be changed to virtual (to avoid the travel and having to schedule days off work).

Have you guys been getting any in-person interviews this cycle? Some friends recently received invitations for in-person interviews - not sure if it would be viewed too negatively to ask whether those can be changed to virtual (to avoid the travel and having to schedule days off work).
I got 2 in-person interviews! Have been really tough for me to arrange it with my tough rotations and especially as one of them is on the same day as the other virtual interview. I'm thinking to reach out to the program.

Is anyone familiar with the situational judgement test from test.hravator.com? I have to take one as part of the interview process with one of the programs. I'm wondering how to approach this.

Hi guys, is anyone willing to switch the Interview date for Memorial Health, Florida? My interview date is on October 1st, and it would be great if I could switch with either Oct 22nd or 29th. Please send me a message if you want to switch. Thanks!

I got 2 in-person interviews! Have been really tough for me to arrange it with my tough rotations and especially as one of them is on the same day as the other virtual interview. I'm thinking to reach out to the program.
saaammmee......Florida want me to fly over....on a call month...sigh...why Florida

saaammmee......Florida want me to fly over....on a call month...sigh...why Florida

Did either of you end up asking about virtual?

FYI, my program informed me that they are done with the interview process.

Guys anyone interviewed at Henry Ford heme onc. Can anyone give an idea about that program in general

Good morning guys, I have an interview with UCSF-Fresno on Oct 15th which I am interested to switch with Oct 22nd if anyone is interested. I appreciate it if you let me know! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.