HELP! USC Keck OR UC Irvine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJohnNye

What the Pho?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I know there have been previous threads on UCI vs. USC for med school, but the latest I've read were 2007 posts. There have definitely been changes in both schools when it comes to curriculum, facilities, etc., and therefore, some of the older posts may not apply anymore.

Long story short, I need help! Which school should I pick (from your perspective) and why?

Thank youuuuuu!

Members don't see this ad.

um from what i've read here, some ppl say to go with the cheapest option. So UCI? lol...probably doesn't help that my school pride makes me biased.

well, if you have unlimited disposable income and care a lot about having gone to a private school keck, but I'd pick Irvine for the lower price. Also, keep in mind that USC is like right on the border of the crappy part of LA if you don't wanna be around that stuff a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick UCI. Both are very good schools (and I'm assuming you got into both of them? If so, Congrats! You're very fortunate).

As mentioned before, the fact that USC is a private school, it's going to cost you more to attend. Irvine is much safer than downtown LA as well.

UCI, cuz as a bruin I simply can't recommend SC ever! UCI is cheaper, you get to use an iPad for everything and its a great school.

All $$$ being equal, I'd pick USC, but without a significant scholarship from USC I'd take UCI.

USC will probably give better clinical exposure, but its not worth the extra 80k. Plus with UCI you get to live somewhere awesome (my host there was on balboa island), while with USC you live in the LA ghetto.

USC has a pretty good program based on their tour, good students, is pretty dang prestigious, and they have an awesome sports program especially football. UCI doesn't really have a sports program like USC and definitely does not have a football team unlike USC. That's all I can really say.

Plus with UCI you get to live somewhere awesome (my host there was on balboa island), while with USC you live in the LA ghetto.

"Living awesome" near UCI is going to be considerable more expensive than "living awesome" not too far from USC. You aren't conscripted to living in East LA if you attend USC.

I would pick UCI because of price and location. =D Congratz on the opportunity to choose (I am quite jealous of the situation you're in though).

Keck.

for the football (even thought I completely despise the Trojans :barf:)

UCI: Cheaptuition, cheap/nice on campus housing, brand new medical education building, ipads, cool students, and Irvine is a safe attractive area.

Wow thank you guys =)

The thing is, UCI's not sure if they'd give away iPads for our incoming class... I hope I'm wrong (SOMEONE PROVE ME WRONG).
And USC is really expensive. I guess I'd wait for the financial aid packages to come.

...plus I don't care about the sports. I went to an undergrad that's not too big on sports (although we are NCAA Div I- Big West). I'm studying to become an MD anyways (and a bit of a bball junkie on the side)...

Wow thank you guys =)

The thing is, UCI's not sure if they'd give away iPads for our incoming class... I hope I'm wrong (SOMEONE PROVE ME WRONG).
And USC is really expensive. I guess I'd wait for the financial aid packages to come.

Yeah you're right the iPads are not a definite. I don't think they can give the class ipads again this year.

Wow thank you guys =)

Take the 80k(?) you will save by going to UCI, and buy an ipad.

Wow thank you guys =)

Yeah. ipad should not be a factor, its $400 (which will probably be tacked onto your tuition anyways) out of 100k in savings.

Both UCI and USC seem to be great schools. If the cost differential is big, then that might sway the balance in favor of the less costly option. I interviewed (and was accepted) at USC and I was really impressed with the curriculum, the clinical training options, and the cohesiveness of the student body/support from the administration. The new hospital is state-of-the-art, beautiful, and has a disgustingly large patient volume. I don't know how the fact that it is one of the biggest teaching hospitals in the country affects your education -- it may mean that you will get a lot of hands-on learning, or it could be that there won't be enough mentoring since the higher-ups are all too busy with too many patients to teach you. I asked this during the tour and the two students (both MS4s) assured me that they had amazing experiences during third-year, and that there was enough mentoring time for good learning. The pathology, you may have heard, is incredible at LAC+USC since so many untreated, un-worked up illnesses come through their doors.

If you are interested in research, Keck has a nice summer research option and it looks like they fund anyone who wants to do research at their institution. There also is a competitive year-off program, and they can fund you not only at USC but anywhere else you may want to do research!

You should take a look at medweb.usc.edu if you haven't, it's basically a sample page for the student access site. It has a lot of good specific information on the curriculum, research opps, and administration. You can even look at the different electives/selectives offered.

UCI! I'm biased, lol jk

But in all honesty, cost is cost at the end of the day. You will get a fine education at UCI. Also, you live in Long Beach and you will most certainly be able to commute from Long Beach to UCI with ease. So, in essence, you are saving a ton of $$$ by going to UCI in my opinion.

I would goto USC; they may be more expensive but I believe they would have the resources to train you as a better doctor.

UCI probably has better research opportunities, is in a safer area, and is probably cheaper.

USC will probably have better clinical exposure than UCI and has an interesting curriculum to go off of.

Depends what you consider to be more important....

UCI probably has better research opportunities, is in a safer area, and is probably cheaper.

USC will probably have better clinical exposure than UCI and has an interesting curriculum to go off of.

Depends what you consider to be more important....

jpkb is right, the clinical exposure at USC is awesome! So much patient diversity and huge, good doctor support system/network.

Also USC has a lot of research opportunitiess, they have a good amount of funding and a lot of students do research there.

Status
Not open for further replies.