help me rank... (All Rank posts here)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any thoughts in ranking these programs

mt sinai
nyu
umich
emory
vandy
baylor
bu

Thanks!
cheerio,
i have mich, then vandy, then emory. I didn't interview at the other places you mentioned. My personal thoughts - michigan is incredible, vandy is incredible, maybe a little too intense. emory - very strong, i just liked michigan a little more...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a tough time ranking the following programs. Any input or opinions about any of these programs is appreciated (alphabetical order):

1. Jefferson
2. Maryland
3. Pittsburgh
4. Temple
5. UNC
6. UVA

I'm having a tough time ranking the following programs. Any input or opinions about any of these programs is appreciated (alphabetical order):

1. Jefferson
2. Maryland
3. Pittsburgh
4. Temple
5. UNC
6. UVA

1. UNC
2. Maryland
3. UVA
4. Pittsburgh
5. Jefferson
6. Temple

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Skipper,

I have been to U Pitt and Penn and my onion would be

1. U Pitt
2. Jefferson
3. U or Maryland, UNC, UVA(I donot have idea about these).
4. Temple( does not have a grt reputation as some other PA programs.)

Hi Guys,

I am haveing an extremely tough time deciding between my top 4-5 choices. I dont have a preference for location and I am interested in pursuing a cardiology fellowship later. Found most of these programs to be similar in many ways.

Univ of Louisville
Univ of Oklahoma
SUNY downstate
Univ of Connecticut
UMDNJ Camden

Please guys any input is appeciated!

To Excellence above, I really wish I could help you out. You've posted for advice a few times and nobody has responded... someone had to have interviewed or knows something about these programs.

I can't decide b/t these two for number 2 and 3 on my list.
I got a better feel from the residents at NW and like their PD much more, not to mention better facilities and location.
UofC is a better program, with a better fellowship match but I didn't really like the PD too much and paper orders and notes are big downside. Most importantly, I am interested in either Cardiology or Disparities work (I know, a big difference)... both of which UofC would be a better environment for. Their Cards match is really good and they have the exact patient population I am looking for. I keep going back and forth b/t the two but can't decide.
What is everyone elses impression of the two, more importantly U of C... without a pre-interview activity I didnt get a really good feel for their residents and PD.
Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I am haveing an extremely tough time deciding between my top 4-5 choices. I dont have a preference for location and I am interested in pursuing a cardiology fellowship later. Found most of these programs to be similar in many ways.

Univ of Louisville
Univ of Oklahoma
SUNY downstate
Univ of Connecticut
UMDNJ Camden

Please guys any input is appeciated!

I didnt interview at any of those programs... I do know that Louisville is supposed to be good in cardiology by reputation however.

To Excellence above, I really wish I could help you out. You've posted for advice a few times and nobody has responded... someone had to have interviewed or knows something about these programs.

I can't decide b/t these two for number 2 and 3 on my list.
I got a better feel from the residents at NW and like their PD much more, not to mention better facilities and location.
UofC is a better program, with a better fellowship match but I didn't really like the PD too much and paper orders and notes are big downside. Most importantly, I am interested in either Cardiology or Disparities work (I know, a big difference)... both of which UofC would be a better environment for. Their Cards match is really good and they have the exact patient population I am looking for. I keep going back and forth b/t the two but can't decide.
What is everyone elses impression of the two, more importantly U of C... without a pre-interview activity I didnt get a really good feel for their residents and PD.
Thanks.

Im in the same boat. I like the structure of UC better than NWU, but everything else about NWU is fantastic. I think if you are interested in disparities work its a no-brainer to go to UC.

However for cards, depending on where you want to go, remember than NWU is one of the larger cards fellowships in the midwest and they like taking their own.

I just really felt that since I wont have much free time as a resident, being located on the Mag Mile would be a huge boost. A lot of people think NWU is on the verge of overtaking UC. I just dont think so-- I think if anything theyll be rival institutions and resident's preference will be based on the type of environment they feel will further their education (more private hospital + less scut = more book learning/research time vs more public hospital leads to more scut = more practical learning)

But no wonder you have a tough choice, both programs are awesome IMHO.

Yea, those are good points. For disparities, UofC is the clear choice. I just looked over the match lists for cards and my major hang-up with NWU is their inability to provide a detailed list.
UofC had Yale, Brown, Emory, UofC x 2, NYU, Ludwig Maximilians U Hospital in Germany??, Vanderbilt... all in just one graduating class and a small class. Thats pretty impressive.
Its really strange how much things like location, facilities, and call schedule factor into decision making.
What was everyones assessment of happiness of UofC residents???

Case/University
Tulane
UCI
UCSD
Harbor-UCLA
Olive View-UCLA
Cornell
Case/Metrohealth
Mayo
Cleveland Clinic

I'm interested in academic medicine and a non-cards, non-GI fellowship. No particular geographic preference. Thanks for any input!

Case/University
Tulane
UCI
UCSD
Harbor-UCLA
Olive View-UCLA
Cornell
Case/Metrohealth
Mayo
Cleveland Clinic

I'm interested in academic medicine and a non-cards, non-GI fellowship. No particular geographic preference. Thanks for any input!

1. Mayo
  2. Cornell
  3. UCSD
  4. Case/University
  5. Case/Metrohealth
  6. Olive View-UCLA
  7. Harbor-UCLA
  8. UCI
  9. Tulane
  10. Cleveland Clinic

ucsd
cornell/ case-university/ mayo

harbor- i loved this program when i interviewed! great camaraderie, great teaching the day i was there. sense of idealism, teamwork, and serving the underserved that i didn't find in other programs. decent fellowship match. only drawbacks for me were 1. los angeles 2. county only program

tulane - ?stability after katrina
olive view
uc-irvine
ccf
case-metrohealth

Case/University
Tulane
UCI
UCSD
Harbor-UCLA
Olive View-UCLA
Cornell
Case/Metrohealth
Mayo
Cleveland Clinic

Albert Einstein (monte)
Boston U
Michigan
NEMC/tufts
Northwestern
NYU
Ohio State
Temple
U Illinois Chicago
Yale categorical

thinking maybe GI or pulm/cc, prefer big city. any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Albert Einstein (monte)
Boston U
Michigan
NEMC/tufts
Northwestern
NYU
Ohio State
Temple
U Illinois Chicago
Yale categorical

Northwestern
NYU
Michigan
Yale
UIC
BU

Only reason I put Michigan and Yale lower is they are not big cities (your preference).

buckI,
pick the program in the city you would be happiest in. michigan probably has the best fellowship match out of these programs, but ann arbor is a college town, not a city. do you want to live in chicago? then go to nw. boston? go to tufts. ohio state's program is good as well, although i wouldn't want to live in columbus :p

Albert Einstein (monte)
Boston U
Michigan
NEMC/tufts
Northwestern
NYU
Ohio State
Temple
U Illinois Chicago
Yale categorical

can anyone help with these california progs at the end of my list...ps i am img so not as impressive as u all!

kaiser oakland
alameda county
kern county
st mary san fran
st mary long beach

i want to be open to pursue fellowship if thats what takes my fancy!:)

Any thoughts on UChicago vs. Cornell vs. UCLA. All 3 are great locations. I am not sure if there is a clear disparity between these programs.

PS: Is it bad that I haven't even logged into NRMP yet? Yikes! I have registered, however. Been done with 4th year for 3 weeks, and just chillin. I've forgotten everything about all these programs. I just know my top 3. I hope I end up there, aghhH!

Any thoughts on UChicago vs. Cornell vs. UCLA. All 3 are great locations. I am not sure if there is a clear disparity between these programs.

PS: Is it bad that I haven't even logged into NRMP yet? Yikes! I have registered, however. Been done with 4th year for 3 weeks, and just chillin. I've forgotten everything about all these programs. I just know my top 3. I hope I end up there, aghhH!

I interviewed at both Cornell and U of Chicago, out of those two I would definetly rank Cornell #1, I liked the atmosphere there alot more, plus you can't beat the location of NYC!

goodluck!

rank

Last edited:
i'm interested in cards

here is my rank list so far. what would people change?

1. Yale
2. OHSU
3. Boston University
4. Yale Primary Care
5. Albert Einstein Montefiore
6. Cedars
7. UCLA-Harbor
8. Davis
9. Wisconsin
10. Tufts
11. Albert Einstein Beth Israel
12. California Pacific

im interested in cards - what do you think of this list (only first 5)

1. cornell
2. nyu
3. tufts-nemc
4. brown
5. bu

thanks!

i'm interested in cards

Solid List! You'll get into a great cards program from any of those places I would think Cedars may be higher...lots of famous people there. Good luck!

i might bump wisconsin and tufts-nemc ahead of uc-davis.

1. Yale
2. OHSU
3. Boston University
4. Yale Primary Care
6. Cedars
7. UCLA-Harbor
8. Davis
9. Wisconsin
10. Tufts
12. California Pacific

im interested in cards - what do you think of this list (only first 5)

1. cornell
2. nyu
3. tufts-nemc
4. brown
5. bu

thanks!

Might bump up Brown and BU but otherwise I think your list is what I would do.

1. Yale
2. OHSU
3. Boston University
4. Yale Primary Care
6. Cedars
7. UCLA-Harbor
8. Davis
9. Wisconsin
10. Tufts
12. California Pacific

Why Yale?

can anyone help with these california progs at the end of my list...ps i am img so not as impressive as u all!

kaiser oakland
alameda county
kern county
st mary san fran
st mary long beach

i want to be open to pursue fellowship if thats what takes my fancy!:)

Since I know something about these programs...i will give it a shot...

St.marys LB
Alameda county
Kern
Kaiser
SF

bump it above tufts-nemc? what exactly do you mean?

I feel like Brown has a better rep (unsure about training). Have heard that BU and Tufts are pretty similar as far as rep though so its a tossup...

Hi indiamac,
i'm in the same situation...i am from the west and loved ucsf, but i'm couple's matching with a general surgery applicant who wants to be at penn, brigham or mgh. i also loved those programs, but ucsf was my favorite and i'm having a really hard time letting go of the opportunity to be there. do you have any more thoughts on these programs and things to think about as i finalize my rank list?
thanks so much!

I know there's people that interviewed at UCLA, Cornell, and UChicago. Come on guys, what do you think? Helpabruddaout!

I guess what I would say is that all of these programs are more the same than they are different. They each have different strengths and weaknesses if you are going to pick them apart with a fine tooth comb, but all in all you can't go wrong. I would say to really focus on what is going to make you both happy. The couples match by definition is a compromise and what you really don't want to do is to put either of yourselves in a position where you resent the other person down the line. it is just not worth it. Residency is hard and I promise you that you both will at some point be second guessing yourself. I think the match process encourages us to focus more on the unimportant minute details rather than the big picture which I think matters more. Location, family, friends, life outside the hospital, general "feel" of a place. you both will be able to launch whatever kind of a career you want from any of these programs so try to put your heads together and focus on what will make you the happiest over the next seven years and go from there. good luck wherever you end up. they are all winners.

what do you think, with no regard to prestige or fellowship, just where are people the happiest. and this list is in no order whatsoever

Brown
Penn
Pitt
Emory
BID
Hopkins
U Maryland

I know there's people that interviewed at UCLA, Cornell, and UChicago. Come on guys, what do you think? Helpabruddaout!

1) cornell - nyc, cheap(er) housing b/c of cornell.
2) UCLA - westwood is a sweet area. great fellowship matching.
3) u chicago - probably has the most "intellectual" residents aka don't go out that much. and southside chicago kinda sucks.

what do you think, with no regard to prestige or fellowship, just where are people the happiest. and this list is in no order whatsoever

Brown
Penn
Pitt
Emory
BID
Hopkins
U Maryland

in terms of happiness...

1) brown
2) u maryland
3) BID
4) emory
5) hopkins
6) pitt
7) penn

in terms of big baller status...

1) BID
2) hopkins
3) emory
4) penn
5) brown
6) u maryland
7) pitt

Mildred -- while I think all of these programs have a different feel, I agree that they are more similar than different. Couple's matching is tough on relationships in that you do end up making choices that change your career - however, I think you have some great choices on the table, and your career certainly won't take a blow by going to any of these places.

In the end you just want to make sure that, even if your top programs on your list are not your true number 1 dream place, that you both find peace with the combination that is least compromising for BOTH of you. In previous posts, it sounded like you did truly like MGH, Brigham, and Penn.... is there a red flag going up about any of these places? Also, does your SO like UCSF at all? If not, regardless of whether you loved it, it needs to go lower on the list - or you can try the bi-coastal thing (not recommended). Residency is hard enough on relationships without the added "you dragged me here and now I hate it". Same goes if you feel you'd be miserable on the east coast -- you and your SO need a long talk about this, methinks. I think UCSF is my fave of these too, and it's hard to let go of such a cool place -- but the other three are also pretty awesome and worth getting excited about as long as you don't feel like you're being forced into it. I don't think there is any more opportunity at UCSF than MGH or Brigham, unless you mean the opportunity to live in SF.

in terms of big baller status...

1) BID
2) hopkins
3) emory
4) penn
5) brown
6) u maryland
7) pitt

I would disagree. I don't know about all the places on the list, because I didn't interview at all those. But, hands down, in terms of fellowship, prestige, and big baller status:
1. Hopkins
2. Penn
3. BID

without a doubt brown does not come above university of maryland or pitt. this is ridiculous.

help ranking please uconn drexel sunny upstate thomasj indiana uni
thanks

1.Thomas Jefferson
2. Indiana
3. U Conn = 4. Drexel
5. SUNY Upstate

3,4 are very close and if you have a preference for staying in the north east or philadelphia obviously you would have to think about placing Indiana at 2.

I think Cornell and UCLA are a wash in terms of location, depending on what you are looking for. UChicago is a step behind them due to Hyde Park, although Chicago is great. I think they are pretty similar prestige wise, this whole question really depends on what you are looking for out of a program and personally. I would go Cornell, UCLA, and the UofC.

i am a little surprised you have mt sinai ahead of ucla, stanford, bid.
you have great programs on your list and can't go wrong with any of them.

Reading everyone else's list, it would be fun to see what other people thought of the places I am ranking ... Preliminarily interested in cards ...

Penn
MGH
Cornell
Mt Sinai
UCLA
Stanford
UChicago
BID
NYU
Yale
Michigan

"in terms of big baller status...

1) BID
2) hopkins
3) emory
4) penn
5) brown
6) u maryland
7) pitt[/QUOTE][/I][/I][/I]

I think these are all great programs with great training opportunities, but the fellows here (at a top program) who originally did their residencies at Hopkins are literally human pubmed engines :idea:

I am trying to figure out the middle of my rank list. Any thoughts on Olive View, UC Irvine, USC, Scripps Green, and Kaiser Sunset?

i am a little surprised you have mt sinai ahead of ucla, stanford, bid.
you have great programs on your list and can't go wrong with any of them.

I think if you want to stay in the northeast for fellowship, mt sinai would probably be a superior choice. Sinai has a very underrated cardiology dept IMHO. I do think BIDMC is slightly better from a cards fellowship standpoint, though NYC >>> Boston.

I am trying to figure out the middle of my rank list. Any thoughts on Olive View, UC Irvine, USC, Scripps Green, and Kaiser Sunset?

My order for these was as follows:

UCI
Olive View
Kaiser Sunset
USC
Scripps Green

I actually really liked UCI and ranked them ahead of some more "prestigious" programs. The rest of these are relatively low on my list because they are not academic or, in the case of USC, just don't seem like a good fit. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

thanks I agree with you

What made you decide to put UCI above Olive View? I'm having a hard time between those two. UCLA faculty always praise Olive View's strength in clinic training, and like to bash UCI saying they have problems. (Nevermind that UCLA only matched 26 of 32 spots a few years ago and had to scramble...) Locationwise, UCI is great and I loved the residents. As for fellowship opportunities, the two seem about the same...?

My order for these was as follows:

UCI
Olive View
Kaiser Sunset
USC
Scripps Green

I actually really liked UCI and ranked them ahead of some more "prestigious" programs. The rest of these are relatively low on my list because they are not academic or, in the case of USC, just don't seem like a good fit. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

What made you decide to put UCI above Olive View? I'm having a hard time between those two. UCLA faculty always praise Olive View's strength in clinic training, and like to bash UCI saying they have problems. (Nevermind that UCLA only matched 26 of 32 spots a few years ago and had to scramble...) Locationwise, UCI is great and I loved the residents. As for fellowship opportunities, the two seem about the same...?

I really liked the people at Olive View and I do think the clinical training is strong, but the fact is that it is not an "academic medical center" in the way that UCI is. They do not have much of their own research opportunities and they do not have their own fellowship in my area of interest.

At UCI, I also really liked the people and I appreciated the diversity of clinical training sites (although I do wish they were a little closer together). The residents there admitted that fellowship placement coming out of UCI is not on par with many other academic centers, but they do have their own fellowships (which is where many people end up). I also appreciated the flexibility of the UCI program. With 11 months of electives, I feel like you can create the residency experience you need to reach your goals. This can include taking time for research, multiple rotations within your specialty of interest, or "audition" rotations at other programs.

At the end of the day, I really did like both Olive View and UCI. The advice from my advisor was "all other things being equal, rank a university program higher." UCI and Olive View both have great residents, enthusiastic PDs, and a good "feel" (to me). UCI also has the benefits of in-house fellowships, in-house research, and tertiary referral care.