help me rank... (All Rank posts here)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any thoughts?

Vandy
Tufts
UVA
UNC
Emory
Duke
Musc
UAB
WAKE
Carolinas

IMO, going purely by reputation:

Duke
UAB/Emory/Vanderbilt/UVA/UNC
Wake/MUSC/Tufts
Carolinas

Members don't see this ad.

Hello - I hope that you are all well on your way to your dream residency :). In the meantime, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for your thoughts on ranking the following programs:

Pitt
Ohio State
Mayo Rochester
Duke
Wash U

I plan on pursuing a Heme-Onc fellowship... Thanks in advance!

Hello - I hope that you are all well on your way to your dream residency :). In the meantime, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for your thoughts on ranking the following programs:

Pitt
Ohio State
Mayo Rochester
Duke
Wash U

Here's how I'd rank 'em (I only interviewed at 2 of them):
Duke
WashU
Mayo
Pitt
Ohio State

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody out there who has thoughts on any of the programs below - much advice would be appreciated. I am interested in academic medicine, doing clinical research, and fellowship in either critical care or cardiology.
THANKS!:)
Here is my rank list so far - that is, if I had to submit it today:
1. Colorado
2. U. michigan (ann arbor)
3. UNC
4. Vanderbilt
5. mayo
6. emory
7. U. alabama (birmingham)
8. u. pittsburg (UPMC)
9. Case western
10. Ohio State
11. Cleveland Clinic
12. Indiana

Anybody out there who has thoughts on any of the programs below - much advice would be appreciated. I am interested in academic medicine, doing clinical research, and fellowship in either critical care or cardiology.
THANKS!:)
Here is my rank list so far - that is, if I had to submit it today:
1. Colorado
2. U. michigan (ann arbor)
3. UNC
4. Vanderbilt
5. mayo
6. emory
7. U. alabama (birmingham)
8. u. pittsburg (UPMC)
9. Case western
10. Ohio State
11. Cleveland Clinic
12. Indiana

Why don't you use the "help me rank" thread that's already been created?

Guess I am going to have to bend to peer pressure (that and MICU call is boring thus far). I know my number one is set but man alive I cannot for the life of me get the order for my number 2-4, they keep switching back and forth. Anyone like to provide some input? My rank list so far is

1. BIDMC
2. Wash U
3. JHU-B
4. UW
5. U of Chicago
6. Mayo
7. Yale
8. Cornell
9. U. Michigan
10. Home program
11. Ohio state

Plus Mayo is really giving me problems, I really liked my interview there but after interview season I cannot see myself wearing a suit for the next 3 years.

i've been told by a PD, based on prestige, UW > Wash U > JHU Bayview but you probably knew that already.

bid (since you liked it best)
uw seattle (assuming your uw is seattle rather than wisconsin)
michigan/ wash u
chicago/ mayo/ ohio state/ cornell
yale/ jhu bayview

1. BIDMC
2. Wash U
3. JHU-B
4. UW
5. U of Chicago
6. Mayo
7. Yale
8. Cornell
9. U. Michigan
10. Home program
11. Ohio state

Plus Mayo is really giving me problems, I really liked my interview there but after interview season I cannot see myself wearing a suit for the next 3 years.

duke/ wash u
pitt/ ohio state
mayo

Pitt
Ohio State
Mayo Rochester
Duke
Wash U

My opinion based on what I liked or knew when I was applying (don't know all of them that well):

1. UMich
2. Colorado
3. Emory
4. UNC
5. Vanderbilt
6. UAB
7. UPMC
8. Mayo
9. Case western
10. Ohio State
11. Cleveland Clinic
12. Indiana

How would you rank these?

Yale
BU
OHSU
Albert Einstein Montefiore
UCLA-Harbor
Cedars-Sinai
Tufts
Albert Einstein Beth Israel
Yale Primary Care
UC Davis
UCI
Wisconsin

How would you rank these?

Yale
BU
OHSU
UCLA-Harbor
Cedars-Sinai
Tufts
Yale Primary Care
UC Davis
UCI
Wisconsin

Yale/Yale Primary Care
OHSU
Tufts
Wisconsin
Cedars-Sinai
BU
UC Davis
UCLA-Harbor
UCI

Members don't see this ad :)
ohsu/ wisconsin
tufts-nemc/ yale/ bu/ harbor-ucla
cedars/ montefiore/ uc irvine

Yale
BU
OHSU
UCLA-Harbor
Cedars-Sinai
Tufts
Yale Primary Care
UC Davis
UCI
Wisconsin

Linus2007,
First, *congratulations* - it's obvious from your list that you've excelled in med school! I'll give you my two cents on your rank list, but please note that I didn't interview at all of those programs. Also, judging by the multiple forums on Mayo, I gather that it is a somewhat controversial top-tier program (at least to SDNers)... That said, I think that the program is rock-solid - it's just the location that hurts them. As for the suits - who cares? To me, it means a drycleaning bill and less thought that I have to put into what to wear...;). Best of luck to you as Match Day approaches!

1. BIDMC (b/c it's your #1)
2. Mayo (q6 call, excellent academics, friendly bunch, excellent fellowships, lots of research opps, cost of living is incredible, but - it's cold)
3. Wash U (solid program, excellent fellowship placement, lots of research $, great med students)
4. UW (Washington, I'm assuming... awesome program & location)
5. U of Chicago (another solid program, Hyde Park is scary)
6. U Michigan (nicely rennovated program with decreased patient caps, call schedule, solid academics, again tons of research opps, signon bonus and laptop)
7. Ohio State (Great PD, lots of research $, up-and-coming program, interns seem exceptionally busy)
8. Yale (Lots of research, dumpy town)
9. Cornell - don't know much about this one

Guess I am going to have to bend to peer pressure (that and MICU call is boring thus far). I know my number one is set but man alive I cannot for the life of me get the order for my number 2-4, they keep switching back and forth. Anyone like to provide some input? My rank list so far is

1. BIDMC
2. Wash U
3. JHU-B
4. UW
5. U of Chicago
6. Mayo
7. Yale
8. Cornell
9. U. Michigan
10. Home program
11. Ohio state

What order would you put these in? interested in cards...

UIC, Univ Florida, Univ of Miami, Temple, UT-San Antonio

Indiana U
UW Madision
Loyola
Rush
OSU
Case Western
U Iowa

1. BIDMC
2. Wash U
3. JHU-B
4. UW
5. U of Chicago
6. Mayo
7. Yale
8. Cornell
9. U. Michigan
10. Home program
11. Ohio state

This is a really good list- we would be more than happy to have you as a PGY1 in July ( I will be a PGY3 then..).
In terms of clinical training
Wash U, Michigan, BIDMC> Mayo, Chicago > Cornell, Yale etc etc.
The first three programs are definitely more hands on than Mayo Rochester.

Location wise
BIDMC, Cornell> Chicago, Wash U > Michigan, Mayo

The premise here is that the bigger the city the more things you can do.

Interns only wear suits 3/6 days in our 6 day long cycle. So its not that bad...

Good luck!

Hey guys,

So how would u rank these 4.. i narrowed my list down to 4.

Mayo-Rochester
Wash U
University of Pittsburgh
Temple University

Also, do u think Mayo Rochester would be great in terms of seeing bread and butter medicine. I asked the residents this a lot on my interview day but I still have this fear that i will only see rare stuff and not be a good internist... despite the fact that ultimately i want to do cardiology

I would rank :
1. Pitt
2. Temple (great pt population/clinical training)
3. WashU
4. Mayo (like you said, not great bread and butter, location not the greatest)

wash u
mayo/ pitt
temple

Hey guys,

So how would u rank these 4.. i narrowed my list down to 4.

Mayo-Rochester
Wash U
University of Pittsburgh
Temple University

Also, do u think Mayo Rochester would be great in terms of seeing bread and butter medicine. I asked the residents this a lot on my interview day but I still have this fear that i will only see rare stuff and not be a good internist... despite the fact that ultimately i want to do cardiology

That's what happens when someone asks me about my rank list. Priorities (much like many of you) include: reputation, location, and happiness.

Top 6 (in no order)
Emory
OHSU (do people on the east coast even know what OHSU means?)
Yale (Is New Haven really that bad?)
UCSD
Brown
UNC

then
Vandy
UMichigan
UVa
UAB
UTSW

ANY thoughts would be most appreciated...
Cheers mates.

Alright, would you guys give me your 2 cents on ranking these programs. I am interested in doin cards later on. In no particular order:

Wash U
UVA
Mich
UNC
Vandy
UTSW
Northwestern
Sinai
Cornell
Mayo
Pitt
Case
Wake Forest

Thanks a lot!

kifo:

these were the programs I interviewed at and how I would rank them if I wanted to go into cards. UTSW's match is outstanding.

UTSW
Cornell
Mich
Northwestern
Vandy
UVa

Cheers Pocketguide and Docrocmayo! Thanks for the input too. I am having a lot of problems with the UW, WAsh U, JHU-B, Mayo programs. I tried to differentiate my rank list on ranking scores ie I assigned value points on what I thought was important and graded each program and no matter how hard I try they all end up scoring the same. Good point on the suit thing, after a while you just get used to it, I think I am still recovering from suit PTSD.

ucsd/ ohsu
emory/ yale/ brown
unc

That's what happens when someone asks me about my rank list. Priorities (much like many of you) include: reputation, location, and happiness.

Top 6 (in no order)
Emory
OHSU (do people on the east coast even know what OHSU means?)
Yale (Is New Haven really that bad?)
UCSD
Brown
UNC

then
Vandy
UMichigan
UVa
UAB
UTSW

ANY thoughts would be most appreciated...
Cheers mates.

michigan/ wash u/ utsw
vandy/ cornell
northwestern/ case/ pitt/ mayo/ uva/ unc
mt sinai/ wake forest

Wash U
UVA
Mich
UNC
Vandy
UTSW
Northwestern
Sinai
Cornell
Mayo
Pitt
Case
Wake Forest

Thanks a lot!

Hey, I'm interested in pursuing a cardiology fellowship and looking for any advice on how to rank these programs:

University of Florida
UIC
Mayo Jacksonville
Temple University
UT San Antonio
University of Miami.

I posted this a few days ago with no response. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

Im having second thoughts on my RoL so was wondering what you guys felt about:

UCSD
Cornell
Northwestern

for cardiology?

ucsd
cornell/ northwestern depending on geographic preference

Im having second thoughts on my RoL so was wondering what you guys felt about:

UCSD
Cornell
Northwestern

for cardiology?

nw did not impress me with their fellowship placement

nw did not impress me with their fellowship placement

Can you elaborate a little? One of the things bothering me about NW is that the just list all their match in a lump sum for the last 5 yrs without any specifics. Do you have more information than they provide in the packet? What about it did not impress?

i am having the hardest time between ucla/cornell/chicago. Can anyone comment? Location aside, ofcourse (all 3 are arguably great cities for their respective reasons). I am cards bound.

how would you compare tufts and nyu for someone interested in cardiology?

Can you elaborate a little? One of the things bothering me about NW is that the just list all their match in a lump sum for the last 5 yrs without any specifics. Do you have more information than they provide in the packet? What about it did not impress?

I have found, in several cases, that programs are happy to provide more specific information if you just ask. I'm sure that NW has last year's match list easily available. For whatever reason, they have decided that it's easier/more advantageous to them not to share this information with every applicant. If you ask, however, I'm guessing it would be forthcoming.

Any opinions on these three:

UTSW
GW
Loyola

hey i have my top 5 but was wondering about these programs

ohsu
yale - pc
uab

thanks

can you help me rank the following programs (I'm cards bound):

1. Wake Forest
2. UAB
3. Johns Hopkins-Bayview
4. CCF
5. Tulane
6. Ohio State
7. Brown
8. Case

hey i have my top 5 but was wondering about these programs

ohsu
yale - pc
uab

thanks

yale-pc (great res/faculty, broad fellowship options, small town)
ohsu (great location - up & coming program)
uab (strong regional program, but not sure about national recognition)

1. Wake Forest
2. UAB
3. Johns Hopkins-Bayview
4. CCF
5. Tulane
6. Ohio State
7. Brown
8. Case

UAB/Hopkins-Bayview
Brown
Ohio State/Case
Tulane
Wake Forest (know little about this program tho)
CCF

uab if you want to live in the south
case/ ohio state/ brown
hopkins bayview
wake/ tulane
ccf

1. Wake Forest
2. UAB
3. Johns Hopkins-Bayview
4. CCF
5. Tulane
6. Ohio State
7. Brown
8. Case

Same thread as everyone else, any thoughts or opinions on these programs and their order of rank would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

Mayo-Rochester
Dartmouth
Wisconsin-Madison
Utah
UVM
U Iowa
U Nebraska
U Minnesota

As a former Ute, I would say:

1. Mayo
2. Iowa
3. Utah
4. UW - Madison
5. Dartmoth
6. UM
7. Nebraska

I'm not doing IM, so I don't know how each program is, but that would be the rank for my living situation desires.

Hey, what was everyone else's impression of UW this year? I loved it, but there were no interns around on my interview day b/c they had a arthrocentesis workshop. At first it was pretty low down on my list but is no rising up the list and competing for the top spot, mainly based on the level of clinical exposure, city, pt population, and reputation. Also, I really liked Dr. Steinberg.
What are you guy's impressions? Especially compared to UofChicago, NW, and Penn.
Thanks! Good luck to everyone, 16 days left!

Hey, what was everyone else's impression of UW this year? I loved it, but there were no interns around on my interview day b/c they had a arthrocentesis workshop. At first it was pretty low down on my list but is no rising up the list and competing for the top spot, mainly based on the level of clinical exposure, city, pt population, and reputation. Also, I really liked Dr. Steinberg.
What are you guy's impressions? Especially compared to UofChicago, NW, and Penn.
Thanks! Good luck to everyone, 16 days left!

Same for me too, almost exactly word for word, though in comparison to WashU.