help me rank... (All Rank posts here)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for a very helpful post. Besides how well you would personally fit, how do you think USC compares to UCI? USC's new hospital looks beautiful, and it seems that they're going down to 8 months of call from 11, and adding more subspecialty rotations. I know everyone else in LA dumps on the program, but it seems with the new changes that they might have a lot of potential...?

Members don't see this ad.

USC seems to offer residents a ton of autonomy and an opportunity to see some amazing pathology. However, residents have to work very hard with a lot of scut (IMHO, making it difficult to learn as much as possible from each patient encounter). I am skeptical about how much the new hospital will change this. The new hospital's ED is three times larger than the old one's, but there are about 200 fewer beds.

USC is also a very big program, which is a reason I don't think it fits me particularly well. This can make it hard to get to know people in the program and hard to get involved in research. You also spend 95% of your time at LA County, which would be an awesome experience, but I do believe there is some value in diversity. That being said, I don't think you can help but graduate from USC without being a strong and confident clinician, simply by nature of having to work so hard and so independently.

With UCI, you get a smaller program, more personalized curriculum, and more diverse teaching sites.

hi, 3 days to close the rank list and iam still confused, iam an img with no geographical perefrence,
my list is:
u minnesota
u saint louis
kumc
UTMB
Henry Ford
u oklahoma
u kentucky
stony brook u
u buffalo
suny upstate
siu
UMDNJ-newark
any help would be great...

Members don't see this ad :)
my guess is that minnesota, the suny programs, and oklahoma would the best out of your list, but i have no personal experience with any of them.
good luck with your decision!

hi, 3 days to close the rank list and iam still confused, iam an img with no geographical perefrence,
my list is:
u minnesota
u saint louis
kumc
UTMB
Henry Ford
u oklahoma
u kentucky
stony brook u
u buffalo
suny upstate
siu
UMDNJ-newark

my list is:
u minnesota
u saint louis
kumc
UTMB
Henry Ford
u oklahoma
u kentucky
stony brook u
u buffalo
suny upstate
siu
UMDNJ-newark

depends on a couple things - if you're looking for fellowship in a specific field and how IMG-friendly you went the program to be...
just on reputation alone, i have a hard time disagreeing with orientedtoself on his response, though I think minnesota is easily at the top of this list...

I am VERY intersted in Infectious Disease, specifically research in HIV/AIDS. Please PLEASE advise... I'm pretty sure about 1-3 but not about the rest....

Many thanks!

1) BID - Harvard
2) MGH - Harvard
3) MGH Primary Care
4) Mt. Sinai, NYC
5) Northwestern
6) AECOM/Beth ISrael Learn and Earn (4 years your last 3 years you make over 100,000$)
7) Yale-NH
8) JHU-Bayview
9) JHU-Bayview PC
10) AECOM/Monte
11) AECOM/MONTE PC
12) AECOM/MONTE Social
13) Yale NH PC
14) U of Rochester
15) RUSH
16) BU
17) BU PC
18) Wayne State

Hi Ocean 11,

If you are interested in ID/HIV, I would reconsider ranking Beth Israel learn and earn so high. While the extra cash is good, you'd get a LOT better ID experience in nyc by going to any of the Montefiore programs. The teaching is also much more academic, and the HIV service is very busy. Most people at Einstein opt for Montefiore over BI if they are interested in ID. Not as agreat a location, but great clinical exposure in the Bronx!

Hi Ocean 11,

If you are interested in ID/HIV, I would reconsider ranking Beth Israel learn and earn so high. While the extra cash is good, you'd get a LOT better ID experience in nyc by going to any of the Montefiore programs. The teaching is also much more academic, and the HIV service is very busy. Most people at Einstein opt for Montefiore over BI if they are interested in ID. Not as agreat a location, but great clinical exposure in the Bronx!

Thanks so much for the advice... how do you feel about Yale-NH?! I think I might rank monte above BI BUT that being said.... what about Yale-NH... MAN this is so hard... I just hope I get my first choice and thats it! I heard BI has a GREAT HIV/AIDS research program? does anyone know about this?

Many thanks once again! your advice is REALLY appreciated!

I think Monte and Yale are very similar in a lot of aspects. I ended up ranking Yale above montefiore, only for a change of environment :)

I think in terms of fellowships-- 50% of yale people stay at yale. Also, it seems like they all marry each other, they even joked about it at the interview. Montefioe people tend to stay more in the NY area. I don't know much about the Yale residents, but the Monte residents are very very chill, and there isn't much of a hierarchy, so it's a more relaxed environment. But I think between those 2, it just becomes a personal preference......

feel free to PM me if you want !

Im a DO...looking into a Cardio fellowship in the future..thanks in advance..not in order right now...

UCLA-H
UCI
Loma Linda
USC
UCSF Fresno
Kaiser LA
CPMC-SF
Kaiser SF

I am really considering ranking Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans. What have people heard about this program????

Anyone have any thoughts on UW vs WashU? From my perspective, the main differences is that Wash U is bigger and a bit stronger in research and fellowship matching, while UW has a better city (Seattle > St Louis) and computer system (no paper orders, computerized notes). Patient populations are similar, and they're both fairly similar in reputation otherwise. Is there anything anyone can add to this?

Anyone have any thoughts on UW vs WashU? From my perspective, the main differences is that Wash U is bigger and a bit stronger in research and fellowship matching, while UW has a better city (Seattle > St Louis) and computer system (no paper orders, computerized notes). Patient populations are similar, and they're both fairly similar in reputation otherwise. Is there anything anyone can add to this?

Im not sure I would say WashU is that much bigger or that much stronger than UWash-- if anything theyre pretty much peer institutions (I mean, to a dyslexic, they're same institution)

I personally liked Seattle more as well along with the 3 hospital system. But I think a lot of it simply depends on where you want to settle down-- west vs. midwest. They're both national powerhouses, but when you really look at their fellowship lists they do tend to stick around regionally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not sure I would say WashU is that much bigger or that much stronger than UWash-- if anything theyre pretty much peer institutions (I mean, to a dyslexic, they're same institution)

I personally liked Seattle more as well along with the 3 hospital system. But I think a lot of it simply depends on where you want to settle down-- west vs. midwest. They're both national powerhouses, but when you really look at their fellowship lists they do tend to stick around regionally.

I would argue that WashU has a better fellowship match than UDub. There's also more east coast matches (Duke, Penn, Brigham) compared to UDub. But you are right, it needs to be evaluated from the perspective of where you potentially want to live for 6+ years. UDub, unfortunately, seemed to be more regionally biased in terms of fellowship matches, than some of the other places, including WashU.

what do you guys think about Michigan vs. BIDMC for cards bound? Right now, I have michigan above BI, but I really don't wanna be in Ann Arbor. But, I don't have anything attracting me to Boston, either. Although, better location, I'll admit. Though, Michigan seems stronger--what do you guys think?

I'm reaching the deadline and I'm still contemplating which I should put higher JHU-Bayview or Case-UH. I liked both programs a lot and I am cards bound. Someone posted earlier that bayview leans more towards primary care but when I was there the fellowship match was very impressive at both programs. What do you guys think?

I would argue that WashU has a better fellowship match than UDub. There's also more east coast matches (Duke, Penn, Brigham) compared to UDub. But you are right, it needs to be evaluated from the perspective of where you potentially want to live for 6+ years. UDub, unfortunately, seemed to be more regionally biased in terms of fellowship matches, than some of the other places, including WashU.

I think people just like Seattle and don't want to leave, and I think thats true of a lot of the programs in lifestyle centers (Seattle, SF, LA, SD, Chicago, NYC to name a few). In general though, I care more that everyone who wants to do cards/gi match in that field as opposed to whether they go to the big names-- because it is true (even for myself with this RoL) that many people are at a point in their lives that living in a nice city near family outweighs having an Ivy league diploma on your wall.

I'm reaching the deadline and I'm still contemplating which I should put higher JHU-Bayview or Case-UH. I liked both programs a lot and I am cards bound. Someone posted earlier that bayview leans more towards primary care but when I was there the fellowship match was very impressive at both programs. What do you guys think?

i thought u were going into ophtho...

No I contemplated that for a while during 3rd year, but decided on cards finally after doing a rotation in the field. Plus, I don't think I can spend the rest of my life looking in pts eyes :p

imo wash u = uw-seattle for research. they have comparable amounts of nih research funding- wash u vs. uw. uw is a research powerhouse. i cannot even comprehend $398 million funding.

fellowship matches are comparable. like previous posters have said, wash u sends more people to the east coast than uw. i don't think that means that uw's match is inferior. people just like to stay on the west coast.

you can't go wrong with either program. personally, i'd pick uw :thumbup:

I am really considering ranking Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans. What have people heard about this program????

It was one of the few NO programs to come back strong after Katrina. I know a lot of Tulane students like doing their rotations there (or at least those Ive talked to on the trail) and that it seems like its going to play a bigger role with the state of public funding for hospitals in Louisiana.

Not so sure about fellowship potential however

if you're going to be miserable in ann arbor, then go to bid. i don't think you will hurt your fellowship chances by going to a harvard program. :rolleyes:

what do you guys think about Michigan vs. BIDMC for cards bound? Right now, I have michigan above BI, but I really don't wanna be in Ann Arbor. But, I don't have anything attracting me to Boston, either. Although, better location, I'll admit. Though, Michigan seems stronger--what do you guys think?

Hi everybody,
I'm still trying to figure out my rank list and am debating what to put first in the following pairs:

UWashington and Penn
MGH and Brigham

I am from the pacific northwest and originally wanted to return there for residency, but I was very disappointed with the feeling I got from UW's interview day. On the other hand, I wasn't planning on staying east but I really felt great after my day at Penn. How much stock should we put into those "feelings" we have from a single day interviewing there?

As for MGH vs. Brigham, I've heard that MGH is very autonomous, whereas Brigham is more warm/fuzzy. There are parts of both programs that I love, and I can see myself in both places. Any advice on how to choose which of these to rank higher?

Thanks so much!

mildred,
they are all excellent programs with excellent fellowship matches.
i remember you posting elsewhere that you are couples matching. what does your s.o. think? any preferences geographically? you can't go wrong with any of those programs.

Hi everybody,
I'm still trying to figure out my rank list and am debating what to put first in the following pairs:

UWashington and Penn
MGH and Brigham

I am from the pacific northwest and originally wanted to return there for residency, but I was very disappointed with the feeling I got from UW's interview day. On the other hand, I wasn't planning on staying east but I really felt great after my day at Penn. How much stock should we put into those "feelings" we have from a single day interviewing there?

As for MGH vs. Brigham, I've heard that MGH is very autonomous, whereas Brigham is more warm/fuzzy. There are parts of both programs that I love, and I can see myself in both places. Any advice on how to choose which of these to rank higher?

Thanks so much!

would rank harbor-ucla #1

Im a DO...looking into a Cardio fellowship in the future..thanks in advance..not in order right now...

UCLA-H
UCI
Loma Linda
USC
UCSF Fresno
Kaiser LA
CPMC-SF
Kaiser SF

how would you rank these following nyc programs

Beth israel
st. vincent
Suny downstate

last minute help please!:eek:

sorry lanachka, i'm not familiar with those programs. although i think suny downstate > st. vincent's. maybe someone else can help.

how would you rank these following nyc programs

Beth israel
st. vincent
Suny downstate

last minute help please!:eek:

Please anyone...comments on Case-UH vs JHU-Bayview

i really liked case western. Great research; great fellowship placements, NIH funding very high. Dr. Armitage (program director) appears to be a very classy guy, very professional. I thought that the comraderie among the residents was as strong as any place I interviewed at. The only reason I am not ranking them higher is that I am ready to get out of Ohio (lived here 26 years)...
Overall, great program.

Hopkins all the way! Great Fellowship placements and phenomenal program overall. My 0.02$

Time! All pencils down. Please stay seated until the proctor has collected a test book and answer key from everyone.