Harvard or UF (state school)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alright, keep up that positive mindset that hard work doesn't matter

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey. I did not mean to sound pessimistic. I apologize since my comments came across that way.

Hardwork always matters. I would add phd if one could only go to a midtier medical school and want to do neurosurgery at Cleveland clinic. Or one could do neurosurgical fellowship at Cleveland clinic after finishing neurosurgery at some other non-famous place. This is what i call hardwork. Not just for four to 10 years but forever til your breath stops.

Members don't see this ad.

@EighteenstreetloungePUA, I think you might have an inferiority complex. You are WAY, WAY too obsessed about "prestige." If your biggest worry in life is where you earned your doctoral degree, sorry degrees, you need some perspective: nearly 1/2 of the human population lives on less than $2.50 a day. They have some real problems. Do you think they care you went to MGH for residency? No, they're just trying not to die from dysentery.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 9 users
@EighteenstreetloungePUA, I think you might have an inferiority complex. You are WAY, WAY too obsessed about "prestige." If your biggest worry in life is where you earned your doctoral degree, sorry degrees, you need some perspective: nearly 1/2 of the human population lives on less than $2.50 a day. They have some real problems. Do you think they care you went to MGH for residency? No, they're just trying not to die from dysentery.

Big Hoss

Hmm. Perhaps i do. But there are a lot of people who channel that complex to fuel their drives and do extraordinary things. Andrew Carnegie is an example since he built his steel
empire after his mentor getting defeated by Vanderbilt.

And, i don't care about what other people think of me. I like to challenge myself, work on my weak areas, gain invaluable lessons, and climb as high as i can.

And one more important aspect is that while i challenge myself to accomplish my goals, i donate my time and skills to better the lives of my fellowman.

MGH is one of the homes of medical, dental innovations. The opportunity to interact, share ideas, and work with some of the brightest minds of our time. And their work is being used to benefit our society and worldwide.

That's why i am not going to stop until i take advantage of every opportunity that is given to me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. Perhaps i do. But there are a lot of people who channel that complex to fuel their drives and do extraordinary things. Andres Carnegie is an example.

And, i don't care about what other people think of me. I like to challenge myself, work on my weak areas, gain invaluable lessons, and climb as high as i can.

And one more important aspect is that while i challenge myself to accomplish my goals, i donate my time and skills to better the lives of my fellowman.

MGH is one of the homes of medical, dental innovations. The opportunity to interact, share ideas, and work with some of the brightest minds of our time. And their work is being used to benefit our society and worldwide.

That's why i am not going to stop until i take advantage of every opportunity that is given to me.

Relax, he wasn't asking you an interview question

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm. Perhaps i do. But there are a lot of people who channel that complex to fuel their drives and do extraordinary things. Andrew Carnegie is an example since he built his steel
empire after his mentor getting defeated by Vanderbilt.

But you apparently have to make sure you go to Harvard or else you won't get any opportunities

But you apparently have to make sure you go to Harvard or else you won't get any opportunities

Nah. I am fine. There are other places that are as good as harvard. And if i cannot get to one of these places, then thats okay too.

What's important to me are doing my best so that i dont regret and using my gained knowledge and skills to benefit other people.

We have students that matched into Harvard/MGH for ortho/omfs in the last few years. But, I can tell you that plenty would "rather" match into Parkland/Mayo (for scope, and tuition) than MGH or ortho programs that pay you. It's all relative to what you deem as important. Also I have a few classmates here (UCSF) that turned down Harvard due to tuition. A name isn't the end all be all.

We have students that matched into Harvard/MGH for ortho/omfs in the last few years. But, I can tell you that plenty would "rather" match into Parkland/Mayo (for scope, and tuition) than MGH or ortho programs that pay you. It's all relative to what you deem as important. Also I have a few classmates here (UCSF) that turned down Harvard due to tuition. A name isn't the end all be all.

But "Parkland" is the name for OMFS... haha :)

This thread has gone so far off track... Where is the OP?

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion is that if you're smart enough to get into HDS you def can do well on step 1 and get into a great residency. The only difference between you and the Harvard med student is the amount of debt you'll be in. It's up to you to put in the work.

Best of luck!

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Hello,

I was set on going to UF, my state school, however, I got accepted to HSDM just now. The price of UF is 280K versus 400K for Harvard. This is my main hesitation in accepting the offer from Harvard. I would obviously love to go there but am wondering if the prestige, education, and networking opportunities are worth the extra cost. I definitely want to specialize after dental school too.

Thanks in advance!

I would only go to Harvard if you want to do Oral Surgery. People want to see surgeons that went to Harvard. Other than that, what % of the population knows or cares what school their dentist went to?

And while it true that VCU matched more surgery residents last year than Harvard I think it is fair to remember that 7 students is 20% of the Harvard class!

Last edited:
How do you know they weren't top in their class?

Because they neither have ranking nor grades. I heard this during my interview there. Med students may have a hidden ranking called MSPE (med student performance evaluation) which is used in med schools with pass and fail preclinical and clinical places. (Ex) stanford med

Otherwise, how would hms and hsdm kids have time to make videos like this?

Because they neither have ranking nor grades. I heard this during my interview there. Med students may have a hidden ranking called MSPE (med student performance evaluation) which is used in med schools with pass and fail preclinical and clinical places. (Ex) stanford med

Otherwise, how would hms and hsdm kids have time to make videos like this?

That isn't exclusive to Harvard, for example Chicago Priztker does yearly parody videos as well. Why are we talking about medical schools in a dental school forum? thats what i'm curious about. Sure first couple years the dental school is merged with the medical school. But 3rd and 4th year the dental students do different stuff.
Claiming the 7 students weren't top of their class/top of the applicants is ridiculous. Have you contacted them about their CBSE scores? It is one thing getting into a residency program. The real beast is getting through the residency program in addition to passing the OMFS board exams.(And all 3 STEP tests in the 6-year programs). Do you really think program directors will really take any Joe Schmoe just because of the school name? They definitely looked at a **** ton of other factors.
If the entire HSDM class are rockstars (which they should be since they average a 3.87 sgpa and 23 DAT), they still are top applicants to these residency programs, hence their great residency rates.

This is the same thing with those middle schools that ONLY accept applicants with the highest IQs. They then release how they are straight out destroying the competition. Rich parents with kids that are geniuses then flock to send their kids to these schools. Cycle repeats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
That isn't exclusive to Harvard, for example Chicago Priztker does yearly parody videos as well. Why are we talking about medical schools in a dental school forum? thats what i'm curious about. Sure first couple years the dental school is merged with the medical school. But 3rd and 4th year the dental students do different stuff.
Claiming the 7 students weren't top of their class/top of the applicants is ridiculous. Have you contacted them about their CBSE scores? It is one thing getting into a residency program. The real beast is getting through the residency program in addition to passing the OMFS board exams.(And all 3 STEP tests in the 6-year programs). Do you really think program directors will really take any Joe Schmoe just because of the school name? They definitely looked at a **** ton of other factors.

That's true. I only said that they are not top students because they do not have grades and ranking. So no one is a top student there.

I have no doubt that their cbse scores are stellar. If one survives the basic science curriculum at harvard, one can score very high on cbse.

Even those who were just average while taking the first and second yr courses in midtier med school will pretty much start with the score of 70 (passing grade for step 1). So if one is just average in uconn or stony, one will be like this too. (Average when Including med students)

Step 2s are easier than step 1. And step 3 is pretty much a joke compared to previous step exams. Only nurse practitioners cannot pass step 3. Lol