Harvard or UF (state school)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did the average lifespan become 36?

Whoops let me correct that. It's 20-30 years. Also, let see how much you have saved towards your retirement account and if you have enough money saved for downpayment for a house. Don't tell me you want to be a 36 year old dentist who doesn't own a house and is living in a 1 bedroom apartment..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Whoops let me correct that. It's 20-30 years. Also, let see how much you have saved towards your retirement account and if you have enough money saved for downpayment for a house. Don't tell me you want to be a 36 year old dentist who doesn't own a house and is living in a 1 bedroom apartment..
I would die.

20-30 years? Sheesh! You're gonna need some help from Travis!

Members don't see this ad :)
[Check back April 1]

Last edited:

I think i would be like this since i would still be a resident. But i would still be happy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think i would be like this since i would still be a resident. But i would still be happy. :)

cbf1fab1a20460eafd8e8fff6e061c8946c2575809aabc1b12ff970bdb63ecaa.jpg

I am actually not joking. Everyone has their own unique preference and personality. I really do not care about cars or houses. As long as they take me to places and keep me warm and clean, that's all I care.. I am all about fulfilling my vision.

Reactions: 1 users
I am actually not joking. Everyone has their own unique preference and personality. I really do not care about cars or houses. As long as they take me to places and keep me warm and clean, that's all I care.. I am all about fulfilling my vision.
futurama-fry-not-sure-if-superiority-complex-or-inferiority-complex.jpg

The answer is none. There are plenty of people in the forum who have higher numbers than mine and are capable of matching into top tier oral surgery programs.

While i acknowledge that my preferences and goals are different, i do not think they are better or worse than the goals of other people. My goals are just goals and i am a small ant just like everyone else.

Reactions: 2 users
The answer is none. There are plenty of people in the forum who have higher numbers than mine and are capable of matching into top tier oral surgery programs.

While i acknowledge that my preferences and goals are different, i do not think they are better or worse than the goals of other people. My goals are just goals and i am a small ant just like everyone else.

63772908.jpg

I agree with this completely.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First its HPSP. Second, you will still be doing dentistry even when you are deployed. Also what is there to brag about when you are engulfed in 400k loan and are left with 40-50k to live on for 10-20 years? Your friend who graduated with a bachelor's from a no name university probably is making similar with very little to no debt.

Sorry for the spelling error.

It's all about probability. Life is uncertain, you know that guy who went to a cheaper school might make it big or he might not.
He might make it big, but still he'll be in more debts than me because he takes more debts to start a new practice and buy a bigger house, while I might be renting a small apartment because I like to live in a small apartment in the city while he lives in Florida with his big pool and his big garden. So, being successful does not mean lesser debts.

Army life is not for everyone, you should join the army because you believe in it. You should be part of it because you are willing to die for your country or sacrifice precious things for your home.
Joining the army just to pay loans is wrong. I looked into this thing, I asked in this forum actually, I am not gonna lie, while I don't have any problem joining the army for a year or 2 of my life, the possibility of being there forever = I am not free anymore= I am not my own person.

Then there comes the fact, each 4-8 years there is a new war. So, the reward is less than what we give up in return, which I repeat would be fine if you wanted to become involved in the military from the start, but if you are not, then that would daunting and suffocating.

The loans can be paid in a span of 30 years. So what? What's the big deal of that anyway, would it be annoying, yes it would, but I assure you someone else who is working at best buy is paying loans as well with a worse salary and the chance to getting fired at any moment.

There is no one %100 free, but there are levels of enslavements!
Unless you decide to live off the grid, you are not free, and you can't be 100% free.

It's all about probability. Life is uncertain, you know that guy who went to a cheaper school might make it big or he might not.
He might make it big, but still he'll be in more debts than me because he takes more debts to start a new practice and buy a bigger house, while I might be renting a small apartment because I like to live in a small apartment in the city while he lives in Florida with his big pool and his big garden. So, being successful does not mean lesser debts.

Army life is not for everyone, you should join the army because you believe in it. You should be part of it because you are willing to die for your country or sacrifice precious things for your home.
Joining the army just to pay loans is wrong. I looked into this thing, I asked in this forum actually, I am not gonna lie, while I don't have any problem joining the army for a year or 2 of my life, the possibility of being there forever = I am not free anymore= I am not my own person.

Then there comes the fact, each 4-8 years there is a new war. So, the reward is less than what we give up in return, which I repeat would be fine if you wanted to become involved in the military from the start, but if you are not, then that would daunting and suffocating.

The loans can be paid in a span of 30 years. So what? What's the big deal of that anyway, would it be annoying, yes it would, but I assure you someone else who is working at best buy is paying loans as well with a worse salary and the chance to getting fired at any moment.

Unless you decide to live off the grid, you are not free, and you can't be 100% free.

you are telling me your probability of success is higher when you have 400k debt? You are still getting the same dmd/dds degree. In the military your commitment is 4 years active and 4 years IRR AKA not forever.. No dentist has ever been activated from IRR since World War II..

I can't believe this thread is still going lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sometimes when someone peppers some "hey ivies aren't bad look at the pros!" into these threads, they stretch out far beyond expectations. Usually these threads end in 10 posts with everyone saying save money, go state, easy specialize from anywhere .

**** ur right. BRB while I ***

(but seriously, who would actually pick N over L?)
Word. Honestly made me question nateriver's character and worth as a human being

jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

That's part of the spell of the notebook, it drives humans mad , don't y'all know anything lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I mean he was doing well for years up until that one moment. He was driven mad and killing off people but in terms of making dumb moves idk if that explanation fits very well.

I dont think its dumb moves so much as an inflation of his ego to the level of arrogance which was conducive with making strategic mistakes and being careless the like of which he wouldn't have dared to upon facing L, in conjugation with the fact that Light severely underestimated Near and over estimated himself. If we took the Light of the early episodes vs Near, I'm certain Light would have been victorious. Ultimately, Near had time, arrogance of Light, and the previous knowledge of L's experience on his side. Generally speaking, Near, a genius in his own right, had to solve a problem which he could tackle with previous data existing to refer to and use to shape his game within his mind, where as L went into this with no referral case to help shape his approach, so in that respect, yes valiant part on L. Ultimately, in my opinion and as conferred by the writer of the series in the official handbook, Light is the smartest, of the three. Near was victorious because he had factors to boost his combative ability so to speak, but none the less, he won.... aLmost doesnt count haha

Last edited:
Questionable , depends on timing as well, is Light an inflated arrogant **** yet or is he still humble and brilliant ?

I think Light started off as a humble genius (with a little bit of arrogance, of course), as he would always cover his bases and never underestimate his opponent. I think as the season progressed, and as he kept winning, he became more and more arrogant.

yeah but I think OP got what he/she needed from it, and I can always use a death note convo to take a break from my eternal studying lmao. Honestly I think that detail of Mikami and his meticulousness played very nicely into an eloquent ending via Nears plan, he noticed a pattern and utilized it, thats more than enough evidence of his L -like tendencies and worthiness of successorship. Think about it, L used his interpretation of Lights's character flaw and pattern of cockiness in the like 2nd or 3rd episode to deduce he's was in mainland Japan via his assumption that Light would react impulsively and childishly if provoked in the correct way. Oh how I enjoyed death note and wish it was longer...

Exactly. Early in the season, Light quickly learned to not underestimate L's pattern-reading abilities (and so he would deliberately manipulate death times and causes of death to throw L in for a loop). I think Light's downfall was trusting others, as in the case with Mikami, and underestimating Near's intelligence (which he never would have done vs. Ryuzaki).

Reactions: 1 users
Well yeah cause Light was as brilliant as if not more brilliant than L and planning and or inferential insight was a key asset of all 3 minds : L, Light ,and Near. Thus pattern recognition was integral. Im torn with my state on the Mikami role /purpose and or necessity, I can see what youre saying, but my issue with your analysis is that even if Light was at the level he was at when he took on L during his bout with Near, given the scenario he found himself in with Near and the surrounding details of that game, I dont see anyway around having to trust a few outsiders. Thus Mikami's required purpose regardless of Light's mindset. I mean dont forget , by the time he employs Mikami and Takada, Light has become the new L, the very counter existence a to Kira and really the only real threat that could exist, I.E. the perfect place for Light to go about his business to be sure, but equally a more difficult position to fight from as opposed to when he was a member of the task force and merely under investigation.

Agreed, L's relentless investigation of Light cornered him to the point where he had to let go of the notebook to protect his identity. I won't dispute the necessity of Mikami in shifting the spotlight away from Light himself (as he served as the new L), but Light was fully knowledgable of Mikami's on-the-dot tendencies. He must've completely underestimated Near's deductive skills to not mix up the frequency of Mikami's Death Note usage (and because of this, Near's page-swapping plan worked).

What if you are interested in doing your residency at MGH, BWH, or Beth Israel?

If this was medicine, you would need to be top3 or do md phd for 9 years at UF to get into MGH residency. If you are just top 3, you can do primary care residency at MGH. If you are top3 and do md phd, you can do the specialty of your choice at MGH.

However if you go to Harvard med, you just dont need to be bottom 3 to get into one of residencies at MGH.

If this is about dental research, Harvard + Forsyth is #2 while UF is #8. So they are both very prestigious if you look at their dental research.

Not true. Many people in the medical field get into amazing specialty programs from mediocre med schools

Not true. Many people in the medical field get into amazing specialty programs from mediocre med schools

No. We are both right.

If one goes to a mediocre medical school and does very well, one has two choices: (1) amazing specialty residency in mediocre place and (2) primary care residency in famous places like MGH.

Of course there are one or two exceptions in mediocre medical schools too but these people did phd, know someone in the prestigious places or were veterans.

No. We are both right.

If one goes to a mediocre medical school and does very well, one has two choices: (1) amazing specialty residency in mediocre place and (2) primary care residency in famous places like MGH.

Of course there are one or two exceptions in mediocre medical schools too but these people did phd, know someone in the prestigious places or were veterans.

If you look at a match list then this claim is destroyed by the time you get to the 10th matching doctor

Well I've watched death note so many times, but yes I do have time sometimes to watch and or explore other shows, haven't been able to find one as engaging as death note though

How is the SPK these days Near?

No. We are both right.

If you look at a match list then this claim is destroyed by the time you get to the 10th matching doctor

Match list 2016 yep you're right spress

Match list 2016 yep you're right spress

Nope. I am correct.

Let's look at an example. VCU, a midtier medical school.

Students who matched into competitive specialties went to these places. While they are excellent programs, they are no way as prestigious as MGH or other top tier programs. If you look at Harvard medical school's Ophthalmology match list, you see a lot of BASCOMs in Miami while this is not happening in VCU match list.

Dermatology (1)
St. Louis University + 1 year transitional at St Luke's Bethlehem, PA

Ophthalmology (2)
Eastern Virginia Medical School (with transitional at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center-WA)
Geisinger Health System (with Medicine-prelim at Lankenau Medical Center, PA)

Orthopedic Surgery (3)
Allegheny General Hospital-PA
San Antonio Military Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson

Radiology Oncology (1)
University of Wisconsin

Vascular Surgery (Integrated) (1)
University of Massachusetts

Let's look at students who matched into prestigious hospitals.
These are not considered as competitive as the Rad Onc, Derm, Opto, and Ortho

Emergency Medicine
Icahn SOM Beth Israel
New York Presbyterian/Queens

Family Medicine
UPMC St. Margaret-PA
UPMC Altoona Health Hospital-PA

General Surgery
Cleveland Clinic
NYP Hospital-Weill Cornell

Internal Medicine
University of North Carolina

Neurology
NYP-Weill Cornell

Therefore, if one goes to a midtier medical school and is a top student, one has two choices:
(1) Competitive specialty in midtier places
(2) Primary care or less competitive specialties in top tier places

Last edited:
Nope. I am correct.

Students who matched into competitive specialties went to these places. While they are excellent programs, they are no way as prestigious as MGH or other top tier programs. If you look at Harvard medical school's Ophthalmology match list, you see a lot of BASCOMs in Miami while this is not happening in VCU match list.

Dermatology (1)

Ophthalmology (2)
Eastern Virginia Medical School (with transitional at Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center-WA)

Orthopedic Surgery (3)
Thomas Jefferson

Radiology Oncology (1)
University of Wisconsin

Emergency Medicine
Icahn SOM Beth Israel

Family Medicine
UPMC St. Margaret-PA

General Surgery
Cleveland Clinic

Internal Medicine

Neurology
NYP-Weill Cornell

Therefore, if one goes to a midtier medical school and is a top student, one has two choices:
MCW had a person match into MGH for ortho if that matters. As well as a derm at University of North Carolina (although Idk if that's good for derm but you listed it as IM). There's a bunch of people matching everywhere according to the posts there I don't think the whole "2 choices" claim you made is very good.

Nope. I am correct.

Dermatology (1)

Ophthalmology (2)

Orthopedic Surgery (3)
Thomas Jefferson

Radiology Oncology (1)
University of Wisconsin

Emergency Medicine
Icahn SOM Beth Israel

Family Medicine
UPMC St. Margaret-PA

General Surgery
Cleveland Clinic

Internal Medicine

Neurology
NYP-Weill Cornell

http://som.uthscsa.edu/OfficeofPrograms/documents/2016_Residency_Match.pdf Another ortho at MGH. Top student at UTHSCSA got into a competitive specialty at prestigious hospital. We can name more if you want, but the threads already pretty derailed as is. Also side note wish they had match lists for dental schools

http://som.uthscsa.edu/OfficeofPrograms/documents/2016_Residency_Match.pdf Another ortho at MGH. Top student at UTHSCSA got into a competitive specialty at prestigious hospital. We can name more if you want, but the threads already pretty derailed as is. Also side note wish they had match lists for dental schools

Yes that's one out of hundred... there are always exceptional cases. However the vast majority of top studs in midtier meds match into places i described..

Indeed, i also wish state dental schools release match lists..

Yes that's one out of hundred... there are always exceptional cases. However the vast majority of top studs in midtier meds match into places i described..

Indeed, i also wish state dental schools release match lists..

Bro this fits your criteria. Obviously they would be a 1 out of a hundred- you said top student... And at WCU there were 2 good examples. And this is just boringly flipping through that med forum and control f-ing random hospitals you said were good. There are probably more examples out there.

Bro this fits your criteria. Obviously they would be a 1 out of a hundred- you said top student... And at WCU there were 2 good examples. And this is just boringly flipping through that med forum and control f-ing random hospitals you said were good. There are probably more examples out there.

The student body in med school is much larger than dental schools.. most midtier med schools have honors/pass/fail system and consider top 20% as top students...

The student body in med school is much larger than dental schools.. most midtier med schools have honors/pass/fail system and consider top 20% as top students...

Well if you say top 20% then yea I'll agree with your statement. One thing to note is that for those people getting into those programs, we have no idea what their ranks were. They may be matching in high level stuff but for all we know, there are "studs" ranked above them choosing different specialties or residencies based on location.

I will agree that going to harvard med or something would obviously put you in a better position to match at a top tier hospital or whatever you want.

Nope. I am correct.

Dermatology (1)

Ophthalmology (2)

Orthopedic Surgery (3)
Thomas Jefferson

Radiology Oncology (1)
University of Wisconsin

Emergency Medicine
Icahn SOM Beth Israel

Family Medicine
UPMC St. Margaret-PA

General Surgery
Cleveland Clinic

Internal Medicine

Neurology
NYP-Weill Cornell

General surgery at Cleveland Clinic isn't prestigious now!? Wow man where have I been. I forgot we lived in the world of Grey's anatomy where the only prestigious hospitals are Stanford and Duke, and the only good specialties are neurosurgery and ortho.
And if you wanna play the anecdotal card, I know of somebody that didn't "know anybody", goes to a low tier med school, doesn't have a PhD, and took multiple cycles to get into med school, yet got into plastics at an EXTREMELY prestigious hospital. What do you have to say to him?? Hard work goes a lot further than you think my man.

General surgery at Cleveland Clinic isn't prestigious now!? Wow man where have I been. I forgot we lived in the world of Grey's anatomy where the only prestigious hospitals are Stanford and Duke, and the only good specialties are neurosurgery and ortho.
And if you wanna play the anecdotal card, I know of somebody that didn't "know anybody", goes to a low tier med school, doesn't have a PhD, and took multiple cycles to get into med school, yet got into plastics at an EXTREMELY prestigious hospital. What do you have to say to him?? Hard work goes a lot further than you think my man.

General surgery is not as competitive as neurosurgery, plastics, ortho, opto, rad onc and derm.

Getting into cleveland clinic is great but very very few midtier med school grads simultaneously go into the most competitive specialities in the most prestigious hospital... if that individual(again very talented hardworking of course) wanted neurosurgery or plastic surgery instead of general surgery, he or she could not get into Cleveland clinic.

That anecdotal card of yours happens every year. It's just one out of thousand matches..

General surgery is not as competitive as neurosurgery, plastics, ortho, opto, rad onc and derm.

Getting into cleveland clinic is great but very very few midtier med school grads simultaneously go into the most competitive specialities in the most prestigious hospital... if that individual(again very talented hardworking of course) wanted neurosurgery or plastic surgery instead of general surgery, he or she could not get into Cleveland clinic.

That anecdotal card of yours happens every year. It's just one out of thousand matches..

Alright, keep up that positive mindset that hard work doesn't matter