Harvard Medical School Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey all.. i withdrew from all my other acceptances yesterday as well. so, i guess it's official. i'm going to harvard too! i mailed my feat & vandy applications in today. now all the stress of deciding where to go is finally over and we can all be excited about the journey we're about to begin!
wooohoooooo :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've decided too! I cannot wait to see you all there :)

Mr. Bip, blah7, Kimka83...and everyone else who will be joining the HMS adventure in August:

Yeeaaa!!!! I am doing a happy dance that you will be there!

I am curious blah7; who are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay for HST 2010, Yay for Roommates, Yay for the possibility of off-campus housing!

Looking forward to seeing you guys in the fall :)

I'll let her post it herself, but I'm excited - there has been another decide-e!

Hey! So it's official, I am coming to Harvard! Meeting all of you made the decision for me, I had a blast during the second look weekend! I am so excited to be joining you all this fall!

ChyLn said:
Yay for HST 2010, Yay for Roommates, Yay for the possibility of off-campus housing!

Looking forward to seeing you guys in the fall :)

Yay! ChyLn and Drlachick, did I meet you guys at second look?

Hey Kimka, I was there, so you may've :)

*listens to the crickets chirping quietly*

Sorry, I graduated this past weekend, so my crazy family took up all of my SDN time. Did anyone else sign up to do FEAT? I am really excited about it!

Mr.Bip said:
*listens to the crickets chirping quietly*

no doubt!

yep - I signed up for FEAT :)

and...drumroll...found an apartment!!! yea!

anyone who needs a ride on a cross country roadtrip from CA to MA and is good company is welcome to join me on the 3,300 mile (per mapquest) marathon driving session ~July 25/26th-ish...

how are graduations, moves, plans, decisions, life upheaval, et cetera going for everyone?

hey alpen, congrats! may we ask where your apartment is located? A couple of us are still looking for apartments in the area :)

Hey guys, I'm pumped about everyone deciding to go to HMS next year. I'm also going to be going to FEAT in August, it should be pretty cool. Anyways, quick question, has anyone received an email confirming that you are a part of the 2010 class? I haven't heard anything since May 15th, and I know I'm worrying about nothing, but I would sleep easier at night knowing that all went well and I wasn't mistakenly still holding another acceptance or something. Let me know what you guys have heard, I'm just being overly worrisome I guess. Anyways, you guys are all pretty cool, and I'm crazy pumped about next year. I'll catch y'all later.

Members don't see this ad :)
no email for me since may 15th. But I am sure it is fine. Congrats on the apartment guys! I still cannot decide if I want one or not. Ahhhhh! For all you apartment hunters, can one get a decent single for under $1400?

if you have a roommate, you can get really nice places for in or around 700-800/month/person

that's what we're aiming for :)

ChyLn said:
hey alpen, congrats! may we ask where your apartment is located? A couple of us are still looking for apartments in the area :)

of course!
use google maps (or any other one) to look up the intersection of Englewood Ave & Beacon St in Brookline, MA
it's right by the C & D T lines...and has a parking spot - yea!

kimka83 - yes, you can find a 1 Bdrm or Studio for $1400 or under

the best places to apartment/roommate search are Craigslist Boston and the HMS Off-campus Housing Bulletin Board: http://mycourses.med.harvard.edu/tradingpost.asp

honestly, soooo many apartments to choose from!

aumed22 - don't worry about your spot
you could always call the admissions office to ask,
but they haven't sent any confirmations out
and they won't give away your spot even if you're holding multiple acceptances - they'll just be upset with you if that is the case
I did get an email confirmation for my FEAT registration from Mimi, though

hope this helps!
feel free to PM me any questions
or, if you received the email contact list @ the revisit weekend, I am the 1st person listed with the initials "M.H." (there are only two) and the email address ending in ".edu"

:luck:

Hey Alpen,thanks for the info, do you konw how long of a walk it is from there to longwood? we're really trying to find something relatively walkable.

ChyLn said:
Hey Alpen,thanks for the info, do you konw how long of a walk it is from there to longwood? we're really trying to find something relatively walkable.

It's 2.5 miles - you probably don't want to walk that. Searching around Brookline closer to Coolidge Corner would be better if you are looking in Brookline. Google for a Boston neighborhood map - that helped me A LOT.

So, searching for apartments is now officially the most soul-sucking, time-consuming, obsessive and endless activity possible. I have been sitting at my computer for THREE and a HALF hours calling realtors (who are only a step above used-car salesmen) and trying to squeeze information out of wacky landlords.

At the end of my quest, perhaps I will find a decent 2 BR place for under $2000 within walking distance of HMS! *the clouds part as a vision of the ideal apartment fills the sky* And my roommate and I will not want to kill each other!

For Alpenglow, aka "M.H." - the kitchen offer still holds, by the way.

Hi, all! No worries about confirmation emails for the class--they don't send them. If you have apartment/housing questions, feel free to email me--my contact information is abundant in the second look materials. :)

Generally, I think if you have roommates and live in a safe area, reasonable rent should be 800-1000/month and if you are in a studio around 1200ish. Look carefully at transportation options, considering Boston's harsh winter weather and wearing appropriate clinic clothes (you don't want to walk a mile in the snow in dress pants--well, I don't). The housing on the Trading Post seems to be geared towards international/visiting students. Most med students will find a roommate and then look for housing with that person outside of the HMS community, typically on Craigslist or with a real estate agent.

Good luck with housing! I know everyone is excited to welcome you next fall!

confirmation emails have been received (i think?) and a website has been created for us! Unfortunately, about half of the links are broken.... or is it just me?

Just got the email and responded already. I'm so excited! Is anyone else thinking of doing FUNC? It sounds like a great blend of community service and getting to know each other/the city, plus I'm looking forward to having people come talk to us about physicians&society etcetera. (That and getting to stake out my corner of the Vandy kitchen early :p )

Miya said:
Just got the email and responded already. I'm so excited! Is anyone else thinking of doing FUNC? It sounds like a great blend of community service and getting to know each other/the city, plus I'm looking forward to having people come talk to us about physicians&society etcetera. (That and getting to stake out my corner of the Vandy kitchen early :p )

I'm excited about FUNC too, too bad I planned a vacation without knowing how early move-in is and I will miss a day or two in the beginning. It seems like good fun and plenty of time to get settled in boston. Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Mr.Bip said:
For Alpenglow, aka "M.H." - the kitchen offer still holds, by the way.

sooo...any good news on the apartment?
more than just clouds parting?
I found a roomy, too!
I think we'll get along really well - yea!

oh, you're on with the kitchen offer!
(even though I'll have one, too : )
I just finished decorating a bday cake for a close friend that contains over 4# of chocolate! :love:
this is truly the richest dessert that I have ever been able to come up with

alpenglow said:
/QUOTE]

I'll tell you after Tuesday - I'll be seeing about 10 or so apartments in one day! Ahh!

Mr.Bip said:
alpenglow said:
/QUOTE]

I'll tell you after Tuesday - I'll be seeing about 10 or so apartments in one day! Ahh!

xxxx crossing my fingers for ya - good luck today! :luck:

Alpenglow -

Thanks for the positive thoughts :) In fact, my roommate and I found a close to ideal apartment in Brookline about 3/4 mile from Vandy, and one block from Coolidge Corner. The funny thing is that though we scheduled and saw about 10 apartments yesterday, the unit we found was a place that we randomly walked by and saw on a whim! Hope things are working out for you, too.

Mr.Bip said:
Alpenglow -

Thanks for the positive thoughts :) In fact, my roommate and I found a close to ideal apartment in Brookline about 3/4 mile from Vandy, and one block from Coolidge Corner. The funny thing is that though we scheduled and saw about 10 apartments yesterday, the unit we found was a place that we randomly walked by and saw on a whim! Hope things are working out for you, too.

Congrats!

Is your roomy another first year? Mine is - we'll be in Brookline, too!

:) m

alpenglow said:
Congrats!

Is your roomy another first year? Mine is - we'll be in Brookline, too!

:) m

Yes, he is. I'm sure we'll be seeing lots of you guys! :)

ChyLn said:
Yes, he is. I'm sure we'll be seeing lots of you guys! :)

hmm
I'm guessing that "he" is you?
Yes, I'm psychic, just in case you're wondering :laugh:

http://www.kineticsculpturerace.org/

(yes, I'm procrastinating)

people always seem to be curious about the "rumors" that they hear about the area that I live in now (Humboldt County, CA)

the area is the quirkiest place that I've ever been
awesome people watching
this annual, Memorial Day Weekend, event epitomizes what it is like to live here

there always seems to be a clip somewhere on the mainstream news, but the website above explains the Kinetic Sculture Race

Our biology department's sculpture, The Stomatopod, won something last year (I think an 1983 rusted out Toyota, and various other things...)
The Rutabaga Queen was crowned...fairy dust was sprinkled...sand dunes traversed...

My hometown in Iowa (Mason City) has the much less interesting Band Festival today. It commemorates the filming of the Music Man; Meredith Wilson is one of the only claims to fame that the town has.

What are out of the ordinary things that you do in your home/college towns?

You guys . . . it is almost June . . . which is almost August!!! I am already getting so excited about starting school! Haha. Its funny, I remember in elementary school just dreading the end of the summer. My mother had to bribe me with new pencils/markers and new school shoes. Now here I am wishing the summer was done. Funny how things change, huh?

Kimka83 said:
You guys . . . it is almost June . . . which is almost August!!! I am already getting so excited about starting school! Haha. Its funny, I remember in elementary school just dreading the end of the summer. My mother had to bribe me with new pencils/markers and new school shoes. Now here I am wishing the summer was done. Funny how things change, huh?

Well, this time they'll be HMS pencils, so no wonder you're excited ;) I will admit to having already gone over to the HMS Coop to look at shirts and stuff...

Haha, but have you bought anything yet?? My parents ordered mugs a few weeks ago. Anyways, I hope everyone's summer is going well, mine has been very relaxing so far. I was curious though, does anyone have a copy of our finalized schedule for next year? I'm trying to plan flights for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and some weddings already scheduled for next summer. Anyways, I look forward to meeting all of you, and I hope everyone's having an amazing summer.

hello all, and congratulations first and foremost!

I am not sure where to ask this, but I will try here first. I am a recent high-school grad getting ready to start college in the fall as you all start at HMS. anyways, onto my real questions:

what would you say would be one piece of advice you wish you had as an undergrad in getting into HMS...now that you all have gone thru the process, what is your advice to me, a future HMS hopeful (class of 2014)

would becoming an EMT-basic be a good experience for me, i have always thought of earning an EMT-b and gaining exp. from that

sorry for all these questions, I am envious of you all!!

again, much congrats to you all, your hard work has certainly paid off!!

thank you, alan :)

AlanG87 said:
hello all, and congratulations first and foremost!

I am not sure where to ask this, but I will try here first. I am a recent high-school grad getting ready to start college in the fall as you all start at HMS. anyways, onto my real questions:

what would you say would be one piece of advice you wish you had as an undergrad in getting into HMS...now that you all have gone thru the process, what is your advice to me, a future HMS hopeful (class of 2014)

would becoming an EMT-basic be a good experience for me, i have always thought of earning an EMT-b and gaining exp. from that

sorry for all these questions, I am envious of you all!!

again, much congrats to you all, your hard work has certainly paid off!!

thank you, alan :)

Hi AlanG87,

The one thing that I can attest to about all of us is that we are very different from each other: different backgrounds; different nationalities; different talents, hobbies, interests; and different undergraduate schools. The best advice that I can give you is to do well in your classes and MCAT, but not at the expense of exploring who you are as a person. Do what you love, do it passionately and as well as you can. If EMT is your thing, do it. If you want to play an instrument, sports, fight for injustices of those around you, or become a chef instead, do not think that they will be seen as less valuable than something in the "realm of medicine." Make sure to find yourself a good mentor - this is key! In addition, engage in research (not required, but the vast majority of student do research in undergrad), shadow various types of physicians in various healthcare settings, and make sure that you are doing all of this for you, because you love it.

Good luck & best wishes,
MH

thank you very much, i appreciate the quick response

any others, feel free to chime in

thank you all

-alan :cool:

Has anyone received their Vandy housing contract? I know that it should be headed our way this month. I hope that you are all doing well and enjoying your summer!
P.S. - When do we get our HMS email addresses?

I've received nothing from Vandy, and I was wondering the same thing about the email address. At first I thought the Pin # thing was the way to access your email address, but I turned out to be wrong. Also, has anyone heard anything about a finalized calendar for next year? I hope all of your summers are going well!

On the subject of schedules and planning ahead for next year, does anyone know anything about our white coat ceremony? Is it something that family members come to? Anyone know when it is? I could only find info from past years the last time I looked and I know the calendar has changed this year.

Haha so many questions....so few answers

aumed22 said:
Haha so many questions....so few answers
So true aumed22. Where are all the current HMS students? Oh wait . . . they are spending their summers trying not to think about medical school! ;)
I am so excited, so keep the questions coming.

Kimka83 said:
So true aumed22. Where are all the current HMS students? Oh wait . . . they are spending their summers trying not to think about medical school! ;)
I am so excited, so keep the questions coming.

Well, um, actually HMS likes to keep us [and soon you too!] in school for a long friggin' time, so we are still in class getting through our micro exam. However, briefly, you don't get your email addy until orientation. I know it stinks. I strongly suggest getting gmail though and just having your HMS accoutn forward to gmail, because my mailbox always seemed to fill so quickly with HMS. They say they are working on increasing size but it is pretty minimal. Most of my classmates use gmail.

White coat ceremony is only for your class (and not family members). You'll get it when you experience it but it is supposed to be about your relationship with patients and the unique patient-doctor bond. There is an 'open' reception afterwards. Some parents came into town but mostly I thought the parents there were the ones that lived in the area. It occurs during orientation or slightly after I think.

FYI-we were planning your LIFE events today. Get excited!
~Mimi

Hi everyone!

I know I've been gone from this thread for EVER... it seems like crickets have more or less been chirping, anyway :)

But I'm excited because I got my Vandy room assignment today! Anyone else?? It's starting to seem so real and imminent... we'll be there in less than 2 months!

Hmm...I didn't get my room assignment today. I assume it was by email. Oh well, I guess I'll give it a few days.

Got my housing contract!!! This is starting to feel real! I'll be in room 264. I have to mention that I already officially :love: the housing office - I had made a couple requests about my room pick and "Tom" attached a handwritten note to my contract about how my room fit my specifications.

Let me know where you other Vandyites (Vandyers? yipes) are living!

Mimi - thanks for the info. See you soon!

hi all,

hope your summers are going well
things are becoming more real for me as well - I'm selling all of my furniture, packing the rest of my belongings, and got hitched Wednesday (put a hitch on my car :) ). I am getting excited for my long, crazy road trip out East!

thanks for planning things to make our transitions easier, exciting and intriguing Mimi!

I didn't get mine yet either. But it is getting sent to Atlanta, so that might take a while.

Kimka83 said:
I didn't get mine yet either. But it is getting sent to Atlanta, so that might take a while.

Atlanta! What are you doing in Atlanta? I live in Atlanta :)