Harvard Medical School Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Risa

like Lisa with an R
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Holy crap.

I'm shaking like a leaf! I can't believe I finally know where I'm going to med school. :love:

Who's with me???

Members don't see this ad.

Risa said:
Holy crap.

I'm shaking like a leaf! I can't believe I finally know where I'm going to med school. :love:

Who's with me???

Congrats Risa, I told you you will get in. I take it you are skipping the other revisits then.

Thanks, gcomplex :)

I have plane tickets for Case so I'm probably still going to that one. After that, Harvard here I come!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in too!!! I'm in central Oregon, accepted to NP.

BLALAHFHHF:AL:A:OPPV""""!!!

Happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy

happy!

joy!

happy!

joy!

Risa said:
Holy crap.

Who's with me???

too stunned to say much more than...me!!!!
congrats all!

alpenglow said:
too stunned to say much more than...me!!!!
congrats all!

Alpenglow! Congrats! Can't wait to see you there :D

Risa said:
Holy crap.

Who's with me???
Ha, though you weren't the first to get in, you at least got to start this thread!

I'm not *officially* in yet, but the FinAid site works, and I'm just too excited by the chance I may be in. I will be dutifully searching for mailmen at sun-up.

I really want to go to the second-look weekend, but it's scheduled on my graduation weekend! Not sure what I'll do yet, but I will definitely be visiting at some point before May 15, to convince myself (and my wife) that we for sure want to go there.

Hi HMS people! Add me to the list. I was SO excited and relieved to get my accceptance package yesterday, it's hard to describe. You know that tightly wound knot of anxiety that has built up over the past few months as your mind wanders towards next year? I opened my mailbox and it just melted away. It was wonderful.

I'm going to accept the HMS offer and sit on the UCSF waitlist and see what happens. If I get into UCSF, then I'll be a happy camper and probably go there. If not, then I'll be equally happy to find an apartment in Cambridge :)

Congratulations everyone!

P.S. Anyone torn between HMS and another school? What would draw you away from Harvard?

Mr.Bip said:
P.S. Anyone torn between HMS and another school? What would draw you away from Harvard?
Financial aid, and my wife's ability to find a job, may be able to draw me to another school. UMich is already going to be much cheaper for me (in-state), but I'll wait and see what happens with scholarships there or elsewhere. But Harvard would be hard to turn down, regardless.

dajimmers said:
Ha, though you weren't the first to get in, you at least got to start this thread!

I'm not *officially* in yet, but the FinAid site works, and I'm just too excited by the chance I may be in. I will be dutifully searching for mailmen at sun-up.

I really want to go to the second-look weekend, but it's scheduled on my graduation weekend! Not sure what I'll do yet, but I will definitely be visiting at some point before May 15, to convince myself (and my wife) that we for sure want to go there.

Enjoy that search for the mailman, dajimmers! Getting the actual packet is pretty darn fun.

As for second look, yeah, me too! Not graduation for me, but finals. At least I live in New England, so hopefully I'll at least get to go for a few hours at some point. Are both you and your wife graduating? That would be a pretty big bummer to miss :( .

By the way, we met at our Case interview! But I don't think we talked for more than a minute or two, and I didn't figure out you were on SDN until after the fact.

Risa said:
Enjoy that search for the mailman, dajimmers! Getting the actual packet is pretty darn fun.

As for second look, yeah, me too! Not graduation for me, but finals. At least I live in New England, so hopefully I'll at least get to go for a few hours at some point. Are both you and your wife graduating? That would be a pretty big bummer to miss :( .

By the way, we met at our Case interview! But I don't think we talked for more than a minute or two, and I didn't figure out you were on SDN until after the fact.
Alright, the packet FINALLY arrived! Got a bit worried when nothing came yesterday. Yesterday I watched the mailman go up and down the street, and saw a manilla envelope in his sack, but alas it didn't go in my mailbox!

Yeah, both my wife and I are graduating May 5. I'm going to wait until they tell us what specifically goes on at second-look (I'll probably ask some current MS1s to see how useful they found it). We will definitely be visiting HMS, but we at the moment will probably schedule it at a different time, if we can arrange for a tour/meeting with people we want to speak with.

I think I do remember someone from Wesleyen. Were you chatting with the guy from Swarthmore? Oh well, there's a chance we'll meet again sometime anyways!

Uhhh, to stay on-topic for the class of 2010 (they really shouldn't call it that if so many students take at least an extra year): anyone have any tips on looking for housing options? Specifically apartments or other rental properties w/ in walking or public transport distance of the medical school?

Hello future classmates . . . what do you guys think about living in Vandy next year? I have pets, and I am conflicted about what to do. I guess my parents could keep them for a year. Anyone else considering living off campus?

Kimka83 said:
Hello future classmates . . . what do you guys think about living in Vandy next year? I have pets, and I am conflicted about what to do. I guess my parents could keep them for a year. Anyone else considering living off campus?

I'm going to live in Vandy... can't beat it in convenience, and as far as dorm rooms go, I thought it was plenty nice.

I have a cat too... I guess he's just going to have an extended visit with his grandparents!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kimka83 said:

I will be joining the off campus search - I have life threatening food allergies, and hence cannot share kitchen with anyone who isn't super careful and considerate. I wish this wasn't the case - Vandy seems soooo convenient!

Even if I weren't married, I doubt I'd go for Vandy. While it would be convenient, I am done with dorm life. The concept of medical students in dorms just seems strange to me. And while I love you all, man I'm going to want somewhere to go to get away from the hospital, the classroom, and yes you!

Hi. I'm an NP first year at HMS. Feel free to send any questions my way. I believe that revisit weekend is May 5th.

alpenglow said:
I will be joining the off campus search - I have life threatening food allergies, and hence cannot share kitchen with anyone who isn't super careful and considerate. I wish this wasn't the case - Vandy seems soooo convenient!

Yikes!

I was an RA my junior year in a house where one of my residents had several severe allergies, including a life-threatening one to peanuts. We made it a top priority topic at house meetings and made a really clear rule that no one could have any peanuts in the house anywhere outside of their bedrooms. Anyway, you should definitely live where you know you'll be safe. But I'd like to think (idealistic me) that a community of smart, conscienscious future doctors could make a dorm kitchen a safe place for you if that were the only thing keeping you from living in Vandy... heck, I'll volunteer to be the president of the Keep Alpenglow Alive club! :cool:

Risa said:
Yikes!

I was an RA my junior year in a house where one of my residents had several severe allergies, including a life-threatening one to peanuts. We made it a top priority topic at house meetings and made a really clear rule that no one could have any peanuts in the house anywhere outside of their bedrooms. Anyway, you should definitely live where you know you'll be safe. But I'd like to think (idealistic me) that a community of smart, conscienscious future doctors could make a dorm kitchen a safe place for you if that were the only thing keeping you from living in Vandy... heck, I'll volunteer to be the president of the Keep Alpenglow Alive club! :cool:

Risa, you rock! The whole Vandy thing is difficult. Dorm living isn't the best, especially if you have been in an apartment for a few years. On the other hand, I am sure that living in Vandy would help me to make important social connections . . . and have those once-in-a-lifetime experiences with my peers. I missed out on the dorm thing in college, as my suitemates were all upperclassmen with their own friends. I felt really left out and lonely. Maybe that is why I am doubting the dorm thing??? Okay, enough therapy for now. Is everyone planning on going to the second look? And what about the new curriculum? I heard that they were moving to a 1.5 year basic science program like Penn's, but the description in the acceptance packet didn't mention that. Sorry for the long post!
Cheers!

Kimka83 said:
And what about the new curriculum? I heard that they were moving to a 1.5 year basic science program like Penn's, but the description in the acceptance packet didn't mention that. Sorry for the long post!
Cheers!

I am excited for the curriculum reform, especially the 1.5 (actually it sounded like 1.75 at my interview) preclinical. But it sounds like things are a bit shaky still, so I'm interested in how things are resolved. I found this:
December 16, 2006: Design Groups Report Progress in Med Ed Reform

So how do you all feel about the limited info we have so far? Anyone know anything more? There's a ton I want to know about it, like how do/can we choose which hospital to do the longitudinal core clinical rotations at, how "decreased" are electives going to be, etc?

EDIT: Found more info (I love Google). It's old (Dec 04), but it oulines the original goals of reform, and has tons of reasoning for it.

HMS Medical Education Reform Initiative (PDF)
The current suggestion is to complete the preclinical component of the curriculum by April of the second year, as is the practice now at many of our peer medical schools. Although this represents a slightly shorter period of preclinical courses, the design group will be directed to identify ways of teaching basic science courses more rigorously and more efficiently and of incorporating into the preclinical curriculum the relevant social sciences and population sciences that underlie contemporary medicine. [The summer of the first year would be preserved as an unstructured free period for student exploration.]

Thanks dajimmers!

2009md2b said:

still making decisions...all you wonderful, helpful, informative, caring people are making this a VERY difficult task!

I am going to do everything in my power to be at the second look weekend - I am open for a private message info exchange so that we can contact each other, chat via non-SDN means...maybe even a pic to be able to identify our friendly faces @ the SLW?

alpenglow said:
still making decisions...all you wonderful, helpful, informative, caring people are making this a VERY difficult task!

I am going to do everything in my power to be at the second look weekend - I am open for a private message info exchange so that we can contact each other, chat via non-SDN means...maybe even a pic to be able to identify our friendly faces @ the SLW?

Ooh non-SDN means... fancy! How ambitious would it be if we actually managed to chat in a group on AIM???

I'm dying to go to second look... I'll be in the midst of several performance finals, but hopefully will be able to hop over from CT to Boston for at least a little bit!

2009md2b said:

Thanks md2b, that IS helpful!

I have another question... in our admissions letter, it mentioned that there were optional activities before orientation... a camping thing or a community service thing, I think. Did you do that last year? Do you know how many days earlier they start? Thanks!

Kimka83 said:
Risa, you rock! The whole Vandy thing is difficult. Dorm living isn't the best, especially if you have been in an apartment for a few years. On the other hand, I am sure that living in Vandy would help me to make important social connections . . . and have those once-in-a-lifetime experiences with my peers. I missed out on the dorm thing in college, as my suitemates were all upperclassmen with their own friends. I felt really left out and lonely. Maybe that is why I am doubting the dorm thing??? Okay, enough therapy for now. Is everyone planning on going to the second look? And what about the new curriculum? I heard that they were moving to a 1.5 year basic science program like Penn's, but the description in the acceptance packet didn't mention that. Sorry for the long post!
Cheers!

Awww Kimka! Don't worry, whether you live in Vandy or elsewhere, we won't let you feel lonely :) . I hear you on the dorm thing... I've lived in woodframe houses for the past 2 years so it'll definitely be a step back down. I have a feeling I'll get used to it quickly though. And when I interviewed, one of the things that impressed me was the prospect of having a gym in the building I live in. How cool will it be to actually have a gym IN the building! Maybe... I'll actually work out :eek:

Risa said:
Ooh non-SDN means... fancy! How ambitious would it be if we actually managed to chat in a group on AIM???

;) lol - I meant chat, as in telephone - not trying to co-opt the SDN forums by cheating on them with AIM :)

Risa said:
Thanks md2b, that IS helpful!

I have another question... in our admissions letter, it mentioned that there were optional activities before orientation... a camping thing or a community service thing, I think. Did you do that last year? Do you know how many days earlier they start? Thanks!

FUNC is a community service program while FEAT is an outdoor adventure hike on the AT. I did FEAT--it was challenging but fun and definitely worth it. They start one week before orientation starts. I'm sure the admissions/student life office figured this out, but since you all start 2 weeks earlier than normal (because of the intro to profession course thingy), I'm not sure the second years will be done with their summer projects in order to lead you. (Sorry for the run-on sentence!) I'm sure it will work out. I definitely think they are worth doing!

I like a lot of the HMS curriculum changes - but does anyone worry about the drastically different clinical curriculum? What do you guys think - staying in the same hospital for an entire year during your training? I'm not sure what to think.

Mr.Bip said:
I like a lot of the HMS curriculum changes - but does anyone worry about the drastically different clinical curriculum? What do you guys think - staying in the same hospital for an entire year during your training? I'm not sure what to think.
If it means getting more integrated into the "system" of the hospital, more familiar with the staff, more responsibilities, and overall more education opportunities than the current system, I am in favor of it.

But, I worry about how these hospitals will be doled out. Will competition return to our class as too many vie for spots at MHG than are available? Or will spots be given at random, regardless of what your intended focus is? And will education at one of the hospitals be noticibly better than education at another, with no "blending" since students are stuck at that hospital all year? (sorry if that doesn't make sense).

I'm sure we'll get plenty of opportunities before May 15 to ask and hopefully provide feedback about the changes- plus the clinical changes are going to have two more years to be prepared anyways.

I Finally Got My Letter/folder!!!! Yea!!!

Just Seems More *official* Now - Plus Friends/family Found It Humorous That The Only Thing That I Had To Prove My Acceptance Was A Financial Aid Application - Though, At This Point, The Finaid App May Be The Most Important Thing ;-)

alpenglow said:
I Finally Got My Letter/folder!!!! Yea!!!

Just Seems More *official* Now - Plus Friends/family Found It Humorous That The Only Thing That I Had To Prove My Acceptance Was A Financial Aid Application - Though, At This Point, The Finaid App May Be The Most Important Thing ;-)
Congrats! I wonder if finaid decisions are available online/email, or if you'll be waiting an extra few days for that as well? :smuggrin:

Well, since I was waitlisted at Penn, it is pretty much official. I am so excited to be attending HMS next year!

dajimmers said:
But, I worry about how these hospitals will be doled out. Will competition return to our class as too many vie for spots at MHG than are available? Or will spots be given at random, regardless of what your intended focus is? And will education at one of the hospitals be noticibly better than education at another, with no "blending" since students are stuck at that hospital all year? (sorry if that doesn't make sense).

I'm sure we'll get plenty of opportunities before May 15 to ask and hopefully provide feedback about the changes- plus the clinical changes are going to have two more years to be prepared anyways.

Dajimmers -

I talked to an MSII HMS friend. Sites for third year are assigned by lottery, and the education at one hospital won't necessarily be better than another because you still rotate through the different departments in the hospital, with different doctors and staff. And it's very true that HMS will have two years to see how this works before we get there.

Also, I just waitlisted at Penn - thank god! I'm having enough trouble deciding as it is. (note: this may sound obnoxious, but you guys know that it can be tough)

Dajimmers -

I talked to an MSII HMS friend. Sites for third year are assigned by lottery, and the education at one hospital won't necessarily be better than another because you still rotate through the different departments in the hospital, with different doctors and staff. And it's very true that HMS will have two years to see how this works before we get there.

Also, I just waitlisted at Penn - thank god! I'm having enough trouble deciding as it is. (note: this may sound obnoxious, but you guys know that it can be tough)

:love: hey, we're sending you love for the decision struggle :love:

did any of us honestly think we'd be having these issues?
well, maybe some, but certainly not me!

I still remember the conversation with my pre-med advisor..."you know, you MCAT score if OK, but not great...you might want to think of retaking it..."
No well-known school under my belt...just lots of "being me"
doing what I love, and helping others
at least I know that it is me, and not a list of figures, that the schools like

yep...we are empathetic to your dilemma...you don't sound terrible for saying it...you've worked hard and deserve to have this "problem!"

(sending some decision-making vibes your way ;) )

alpenglow said:
:love: hey, we're sending you love for the decision struggle :love:

(sending some decision-making vibes your way ;) )

Thanks, Alpenglow :) Hopefully those vibes will be enough to bump me into one camp once and for all. I hope the decision is going well for you too. I have to say, for every opinion I hear pro-UCSF or another school, I feel like two more reasons to go to HMS pop up.

Question for everyone: the students I met at HMS seemed quite happy and not at all self-important (which has been my experience with other schools in Harvard - feel free to disagree). Did everyone else have a similar impression?

Mr.Bip said:
Question for everyone: the students I met at HMS seemed quite happy and not at all self-important (which has been my experience with other schools in Harvard - feel free to disagree). Did everyone else have a similar impression?

Yes! I loved the students at Harvard; they were what made the school my clear-cut top choice. Although I was impressed with the student body at other schools too (Pitt comes to mind), at Harvard I was literally STOPPED on the street MULTIPLE times by students who would say "Hi! You look like you're interviewing. I love it here. Is there anything I can do to help you or answer questions?" Multiple times! It was amazing.

Risa said:
Yes! I loved the students at Harvard; they were what made the school my clear-cut top choice. Although I was impressed with the student body at other schools too (Pitt comes to mind), at Harvard I was literally STOPPED on the street MULTIPLE times by students who would say "Hi! You look like you're interviewing. I love it here. Is there anything I can do to help you or answer questions?" Multiple times! It was amazing.

Mr. Bip...you already know that I agree with you here...decided that if I want a shot at hanging onto UCSF, I should just quit talking now! The med student that I spoke with @ UCSF this week, who was supposed to tell me all the great things about my "fit" with UCSF, told me that she's going to Harvard when she finishes to do the extraneous things that we share interest in. She told me she'd see me @ HMS! She did tell me lots of positive things about UCSF, too...

happy decision making :luck:

Risa - same thing happened to me...actually all the Bostonians that I spoke with were friendly

It's been quiet in here lately! What are you guys up to :) I have to do a helluva lot of work to be able to make it through next week alive ... but I can't concentrate on anything because I'm too distracted thinking about next year! AHH!

Yep - I am thrilled too. We really should keep this thread alive :)

I agree about the keeping the thread alive. Come on, we're future doctors here. Don't want an untimely death on our hands :cool:

So, perhaps we should discuss SUPER important issues. I'll start: What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Me-> Tough choice, but at the moment I've gotta say it's Ben and Jerry's Dublin Mudslide. For one thing, it's delicious (and meets my general standard of light-colored base flavor with stuff in it but no nuts). For a second thing, the name is extra cool to me (facebook me--I'm the only Risa at Wesleyan--to see why).

Good idea, Risa. We have to begin to learn to tackle important issues if we are going to be responsible citizens and doctors in the 21st century.

So, the issue: I'm torn between Strawberry and Mint Chip. Mmm. The sad thing is that they don't go together AT ALL. I also *love* Raspberry Sorbet ... :love:

P.S. In my aimless wanderings around the web I found the HMS 2005 Commencement speech by Atul Gawande (my hero!) - it's really good, and short!

P.P.S I'm just curious - can anyone find HMS's match lists for the past few years? I can't find anything! I'm sure they're amazing, but I'd just like to see them.

You know, I never seek Strawberry out, but I'm always floored by how delicious it is when I do happen upon eating it.

As for match lists, there was one in that booklet we got on interview day. I'm unsure what year's it was... I'm home for spring break and it's on my bookshelf at school right now.

Speaking of school, I just brilliantly learned to read and realized that Mr. Bip, you're in New Haven! I go to school in Middletown. We're practically neighbors!

[edit: I just read the speech. Love it.]

Risa said:
Speaking of school, I just brilliantly learned to read and realized that Mr. Bip, you're in New Haven! I go to school in Middletown. We're practically neighbors!

You're right! Though, Middletown is a bit of drive. Speaking of which, though, if you'd like a ride to the second look weekend and have the guts to go with a creepy pre-med you met online, I'm happy to give you a lift up to Boston. It's not particularly out of the way if I take the I-84.

Risa said:
[edit: I just read the speech. Love it.]

I know - Gawande is a very insightful writer, and I bet he's a great doctor. I secretly want to be a staff writer for the New Yorker, too ...

Risa, you have the right idea with Ben and Jerry's . . . but my favorite is a new flavor, the Gobfather. Chocolate covered almonds, yuuuuummmm.

Mr.Bip said:
Good idea, Risa. We have to begin to learn to tackle important issues if we are going to be responsible citizens and doctors in the 21st century.

So, the issue: I'm torn between Strawberry and Mint Chip. Mmm. The sad thing is that they don't go together AT ALL. I also *love* Raspberry Sorbet ... :love:

P.S. In my aimless wanderings around the web I found the HMS 2005 Commencement speech by Atul Gawande (my hero!) - it's really good, and short!

P.P.S I'm just curious - can anyone find HMS's match lists for the past few years? I can't find anything! I'm sure they're amazing, but I'd just like to see them.

I believe that last year's match list is in the booklet that you were given @ your interview...I thought that I remembered reading through it...

(edit...oops, should have kept reading :D )

hey everyone, I did FUNC last year (the community service one) and would definitely suggest doing it. It was a great way to connect with classmates and learn about service oriented groups and projects.

I live off-campus and am happy to field any questions people have about apartment hunting. If you decide to live in vandy, do it for the sake of meeting people, not to save money. You can find a decent apartment for essentially the same price. Some love vandy, some have moved out during the year because they hate it it so much.

Yep, the 2005 match list is on page 70 of the "What It Means to Be a Harvard Doctor" booklet they gave us at interviews. It is most definitely impressive. MGH and Brigham & Womens residents must be 90% HMS MDs.

I want to be Atul Gawande.

Anyone have any weird stories about their interview or Harvard in general? The day before I flew to Boston, I ate Chinese food. My fortune was "A great experience lies in the East" or something like that. I'm from Michigan, by the way.

OK, you all have better memory than I do ... I looked in the interview manual, and there's the residency list. And damn, it is impressive. I also like seeing when lots of people stay at their school for residency.

Weird stories about Harvard ... this isn't really a weird story, but it's funny :) Some of you may have already heard it. At the Yale/Harvard football game last year (a pretty big event the weekend before Thanksgiving), a few Yalies in my class (yeah '05) made fake "Harvard Pep Squad" sweaters and went to the Harvard side of the stadium pretending to be Harvard students. They distributed white and red cards for people to lift up which they believed would end up spelling "Go Harvard" when everyone lifted their card up. Instead it said "WE SUCK". It was amazing.

I wonder what retribution will be had at next year's game?

P.S. CarleneM - glad you're watching this thread! it's good to have you here. I had an off-campus question: if I'm going to HMS, there's almost no question that I'll be looking for an apartment. But is living off-campus a big barrier to getting to know the class? What has been your experience with Vandy/non-Vandy classmates of yours?

Charlene M, I have off campus living questions too! I have two cats, and I really want to bring them with me. But I don't want to be socially isolated from the rest of the class! Can you recommend some areas where HMS students typically get apartments? Placed to avoid? Were you still able to have an active social life living outside of Vandy?

Friend of HMSNeuro here. I did FEAT. Would recommend it to all (although, make sure and sign up for a level that you're positive you can do). And by the way, you must forgive Neuro for some of his antics... most were jokes. I had to explain to him that if he's not saying these things saracstically in the presence of people, it's hard for people in forums to know.

Anywho, any questions about FEAT, life in Vandy, or life at HMS, I'd be happy to answer.