Harvard Medical School Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,
I kinda went AWOL after I posted on the Harvard Decision Thread a while back. I got into both HST and NP, but am strongly leaning toward HST (I like research). Anyway, about favorite ice-cream flavors: it's a tie--I really like vanilla and mint chocolate chip. Hrmm...favorite clothing-anything pink, especially skirts!
I'm having a hard time deciding between HMS and UCSF. I'm from cali, and love it here! My boyfriend really prefers UCSF to MIT (for PhD), but HST is such an incredible program, I'm really pretty torn.
Oh, as far as Vandy goes--I'm definitely living there next year if I come. I think it'll help me meet some NP folks, seeing as how I'll be holed up practically 9-5 with all HST people, it might be nice to have some variety...:)
This whole decision business has been driving me crazy! Everyone keeps asking me if I've made a decisions yet! Hopefully, I will soon. Plan to go to re-visit weekends at both UCSF and HST.
Oh, right, and about Hopkins--I actually really LOVED it there! I got in, but my bf didn't, so I'm pretty much deciding between HMS and UCSF now, but I thought it was totally awesome. Go with the gut instinct.
Okay, I think there was one last thing that was being asked on this thread--music. I'm actually a classically trained musician (did a double major with molecular biology and music), and love musical theater, opera, etc. I also love salsa dancing. Anyone know of any good places in Boston?
Phew--I'm trying to catch up on everything on this thread, and now my entry has just gotten incredibly long. Oh well. Hope to see you all soon!

Members don't see this ad.

With respect to off campus housing, what do you guys think about having your own one bedroom or studio vs. sharing a 2 bedroom apartment?

Having my own place would be super convenient, but I think it would get kind of lonely. I wouldn't mind having a roommate, but only if it's someone I click with. What do you guys think?

to calimus - are you going to the UCSF accepted student weekend? I am - PM me if you are. Maybe we'll be able to chat.

to superZ4040 - if you do decide to get a roomy, you should have no problem. Lots of people, like myself, can't afford to go the studio/1bdrm route. I think that I'll always have the pleasure of roomies :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all. The Vandy room reservation/leave early fee is $250. I would say nearly half my class made the leap and forfeited this deposit. But definitely may have not and its a personal decision.

Also please please please submit your revisit forms already! And you won't get student host information until you arrive (unless you have to be hosted off-campus). Sorry! If you can't tell already, I am the revisit coordinator. ;)

Hi everyone! I thought I would join this thread....you guys are so great about doing posts, it took me like an hour to read through everything! I am going to be at Second Look weekend in May, so hopefully I'll see many of you there!

drlalchick said:
Hi everyone! I thought I would join this thread....you guys are so great about doing posts, it took me like an hour to read through everything! I am going to be at Second Look weekend in May, so hopefully I'll see many of you there!

I am excited to meet you this weekend! We won't be strangers when May rolls around ;)

Did you see that one of the new student groups @ HMS is called "Changing Coasts"? Yep, an HMS group for displaced Californians :laugh:

alpenglow said:
I am excited to meet you this weekend! We won't be strangers when May rolls around ;)

Did you see that one of the new student groups @ HMS is called "Changing Coasts"? Yep, an HMS group for displaced Californians :laugh:

I know, this weekend will be great! Haha, Changing Coasts! That cracks me up! Actually, I mistakingly read that first as "Changing Coats," (it's been a long day) and I thought, changing? Don't they mean buying for the first time? Haha. Boston's an awesome city.

drlalchick said:
I know, this weekend will be great! Haha, Changing Coasts! That cracks me up! Actually, I mistakingly read that first as "Changing Coats," (it's been a long day) and I thought, changing? Don't they mean buying for the first time? Haha. Boston's an awesome city.

where's that thread? I'm one of those displaced soul ....can't wait till may..but for now...california sunshine!

hehaha said:
where's that thread? I'm one of those displaced soul ....can't wait till may..but for now...california sunshine!

oh, they're a new group and don't have a link yet. PM me for the contact information of the group leader. They will also have a table Sat a.m. of the HMS revisit weekend

Do any of you know whether there will be a White Coat Ceremony or any events that our parents can attend before school starts?

superZ4040 said:
Do any of you know whether there will be a White Coat Ceremony or any events that our parents can attend before school starts?

Hi SuperZ....it's so sunny today! Still planning to look for housing 2nd look?

bumpity bump

... what's everyone up to these days. I'm currently dragging myself through the last week of class. The President of China visited my school today! It was quite a circus on campus.

Mr.Bip said:
bumpity bump

... what's everyone up to these days. I'm currently dragging myself through the last week of class. The President of China visited my school today! It was quite a circus on campus.

any hecklers? thought it was ironic that the woman on the scaffolding at the WH pleaded with the US Pres. to make the Pres. of China change his ways...did this make anyone else go - hmmm?

Members don't see this ad :)
alpenglow said:
any hecklers? thought it was ironic that the woman on the scaffolding at the WH pleaded with the US Pres. to make the Pres. of China change his ways...did this make anyone else go - hmmm?

Apparently, there was one CNN producer who was kicked out of the reception with the University president because he was asking rude questions, but besides that nothing at the speech itself. There were oodles of student and local protesters, including some dude driving around in a car with mounted speaker blasting the Chinese national anthem all around New Haven. Just another day in the life of Connecticut's most thrilling city ;)

superZ4040 said:

I think the White Coat Ceremony occurs during orientation or shortly thereafter. There is a reception for friends and family but they aren't invited to the actual ceremony. The focus is on the meaning of being a physician and then an introduction to patients and hence they try to build a more intimate gathering. But the reception afterwards is definitely inclusive of everyone! They send you a nice invitation from the dean over the summer so no worries for now.

Hi all -

Just got back from the UCSF revisit...where I met at least 20 people (I am pretty sure that I'm not even exaggerating) that will be at the HMS revisit...and they were super nice! Just thought I'd give you a heads' up that it will be a semi-reunion.

Hope you're all surviving your current graduations, finals, marriages, decision making, etc. :luck:

Mr. Bip - Feel free to message or call me, but I still have no idea what I'm going to do. Still leaning the same direction, though.

Can I ask whether any of you accepted Harvard students retook the MCAT?

Jacqui3932 said:
Can I ask whether any of you accepted Harvard students retook the MCAT?

No, but I didn't do fabulously either. My acceptance was definitely for other reasons. What was your score?

Did you folks get that prematriculation email? Sounds like a packet of goodies is headed our way!
I have a quick question for Boston natives . . . how far from HMS is the nearest T stop? Does it cost extra to change lines? Also, is anyone familiar with the communter rail?

To: Ms. C from Caltech who wants me to forward you an email

Something happened to your email address. I did the best I could to remember it, and sent an email. Please Private Message me here if you don't get it and are reading these posts incognito again ;)

Hi everyone,
After some soul searching, and admittedly a few visits to dorm rooms over the weekend, I have decided to go apartment hunting instead of living in Vandy the first year. I am social enough that I'm not worried about not meeting people, I love to cook, love clean kitchens and bathrooms, generally like a place to call "home." I am still on a budget, easygoing, and have usually had good luck with roommates, so I am also roommate hunting. If you are also considering these things, please PM me. We can set up a phone call or I can email you more personal details about myself. I will be looking for a 2-4 bedroom as close as possible to HMS. I do have a few leads, specifically a 4 bdrm/2 bth for $2800/mo beginning in August.

I have no male/female preference as long as you meet the (obvious) considerate, friendly, take care of you own "stuff" criteria. No smokers, please.

:luck: :)

what cell phone provider gets the best reception in vandy, as well as at hms..

sirpado said:
what cell phone provider gets the best reception in vandy, as well as at hms..
I have similar question too. Does T-mobile get good reception in vandy and hms?

I think that I might also be doing the roommate search, but I am still waiting to check out vandy. If I do get an apartment, I will need to find a roomate(s) who will tolerate my kittens! Anyone with pets thinking of getting an apartment? Maybe our pets could be friends?

Kimka83 said:
I think that I might also be doing the roommate search, but I am still waiting to check out vandy. If I do get an apartment, I will need to find a roomate(s) who will tolerate my kittens! Anyone with pets thinking of getting an apartment? Maybe our pets could be friends?

Did anyone else get that prematriculation email several days ago????
Has your packet arrived yet?

Kimka83 said:
Did anyone else get that prematriculation email several days ago????
Has your packet arrived yet?

YEP, AND YEP :)

Happy immunizing!

Hey guys,

I am studying medicine in Ireland and hope to write the USMLEs and do a residency in the US. My medical course is lectures-based. Most students over here use each lecture as a template, go to the recommended textbook, and then make notes from portions of the textbook that are relevant to the lecture. Afterwards, we then add info from the lecture not found in the textbook to our set of notes. Basically, we create our own set of notes from the lecture and the textbook.

Lately I’ve become really curious as to how you guys study in the US during your courses. Do you guys get….
1) Lectures and just study the lectures
2) Lectures and supplement with the textbook like us
3) Lectures but don’t bother using them of even attending them and just read the textbooks (seems like a lot – don’t know if this is possible unless using review book or small textbook – could you specify if you are reading review books or actual textbooks – for example, I would consider Guyton a textbook and Costanzo a review book for physiology)
4) Coursepackages (ie. booklets containing notes made by your professors) that you just study and don’t bother at all with textbooks
5) Or does it depend on the course and professor and your study method varies

If you guys could let me know how the material is presented to you guys and how you study that would be awesome. Lately Ive been second guessing the way Im studying because Im thinking maybe I should be studying more like a US student if I am to do well on the USMLEs. If this makes any sense?

Finally, I was hoping you guys could tell me what textbooks you use for the following courses (if you guys use them in your study)….
1) Neuroanatomy
2) Biochemistry
3) Behavioral Sciences
4) Pathology
5) Pharmacology
6) Cell biology and Histology
7) Microbiology and Immunology

Thanks guys. I would really appreciate any help!!!!

EdmontonOilers said:
Hey guys,

I am studying medicine in Ireland and hope to write the USMLEs and do a residency in the US. My medical course is lectures-based. Most students over here use each lecture as a template, go to the recommended textbook, and then make notes from portions of the textbook that are relevant to the lecture. Afterwards, we then add info from the lecture not found in the textbook to our set of notes. Basically, we create our own set of notes from the lecture and the textbook.

EO -

Since most of the people in this sub-forum have yet to be first year medical students, I would suggest posting your topic in the "Allopathic" Medical Student forum, the parent forum of where you are posting. I'm sure several people will be glad to help you with all the information you need. I can't speak from experience, but I know the US medical schools vary quite a bit in the wy they approach their curriculum. In some schools, you never have to write notes because all of the notes are prepared and printed by the professors (UCSF), whereas in other schools, it's good to take lots of notes.

alpenglow said:
YEP, AND YEP :)

Happy immunizing!

When did you get the packet? Mine hasn't gotten here yet!

Kimka83 said:
When did you get the packet? Mine hasn't gotten here yet!

Monday, and I live in the middle of nowhere. You should probably give them a call.

Good luck :luck:

Just to make sure we're on the same page, this is the packet that contains the housing application, the immunization form, and the FEAT packet right? I never got an email though. Also, I figured I would just through this out there. My finals start on Wednesday and I'm having an awful time trying to get motivated for them. The absolute worse case scenario is that I will get straight B's for the semester, and my overall GPA would be lowered to a 3.9. Do you think this would be grounds for rescinding my acceptance? I know I'm probably being way overly cautious; but I guess I'm just worrying about worse case scenarios at the moment. What do y'all think?

I'm sure you'll be fine with B's, but if it makes you more comfortable, go ahead and call them tomorrow. I've got two papers and a final left myself, and it's likely they won't be the greatest things ever, so I'm expecting a slight dip in my grades. I doubt "at a standard comparable in quality to that of past academic performance" really means that, if you've got a 4.0, you need to keep a 4.0.

The email was entitled "Prematriculation Mailing" and included three attachments: a memo for the class of 2010 (calendar, tuition, immunization info, housing info, and prematriculation info), an important dates document including deadlines and orientation start dates, and a HUHS form for Harvard medical insurance or something like that.

PM me if you want me to email you the attachments. Oh, and you're right, that's the packet we're supposed to have.

Yeah, I got the email, but the packet never got here. I called and asked them to send another. I am sort of freaked out that they have dropped me and I will not be able to go to HMS next year. I am sure I am over-reacting, but I will be really releaved when that packet arrives.

Kimka83 said:
Yeah, I got the email, but the packet never got here. I called and asked them to send another. I am sort of freaked out that they have dropped me and I will not be able to go to HMS next year. I am sure I am over-reacting, but I will be really releaved when that packet arrives.

deep breaths, smile - they like you!
you probably have plenty to worry about without thinking they changed their mind about you :)

alpenglow said:
deep breaths, smile - they like you!
you probably have plenty to worry about without thinking they changed their mind about you :)

That's funny, Kimka. I feel the same way; as if any day they are going to send me a letter saying they were "just joking" when they let me in.

BTW, what do you guys think will be most appropriate to wear to the faculty banquet:
Nice-casual: jeans and button-up shirt
OR
Semi-formal: slacks, dress-shirt, tie?

Yeah, thanks superZ. When I called and asked about the packet, I was totally expecting them to say, "who are you again?" Haha. Anyway, I am looking forward to meeting you all this week. I have no idea what to wear. How's the weather in Boston these days? I am sure I could look that up on the weather channel, but I always find that people who live there have a better idea of exactly what type of clothing will be comfortable.

The weather in the northeast has been pretty beautiful recently, actually! I think you definitely don't need to bring any heavy clothes, but it can get pretty chilly at night. Bring some light, summery stuff though - it could be lovely outside. But don't forget an umbrella.

Mr.Bip said:
The weather in the northeast has been pretty beautiful recently, actually! I think you definitely don't need to bring any heavy clothes, but it can get pretty chilly at night. Bring some light, summery stuff though - it could be lovely outside. But don't forget an umbrella.

ooh, I'm so excited!
just checked the boston weather for the weekend, and it's *exactly* the same as "home" for me (which I love, sans the constant rain)

see you all in a few days :)

Well, that packet still hasn't gotten here. They have sent TWO, and still no luck. I guess I will just have to pick one up while I am in Boston!

Kimka83 said:
Well, that packet still hasn't gotten here. They have sent TWO, and still no luck. I guess I will just have to pick one up while I am in Boston!

Kimka83 - besides what was emailed to you, the only things in the packet are the reg form for Vandy (due May 15), the FEAT description and reg form (due May 15) and the off-campus housing info (due today). If you want to complete the application today go to: http://hpre-srv2.harvard.edu/RRE/NewWeb/Brochure/Housing/about.htm
You can do everything online and fax in your letter of acceptance. You are OK - Promise.

Answering a few questions:

With regard to cell phones, being a major city Boston has great coverage with every provider I am aware of. No need for special considerations.

With regard to the T, the closest stop is about two blocks away. This stop is 'Longwood Medical Area' on the Green E line, not to be confused with 'Longwood' on the Green D line. There is no charge for transfers, $1.25 fare for your trip no matter how short or far you are going.

Page 2?! Unacceptable.

This is cause for bringing me out of my long class-thread hibernation.

So, how excited is everybody for revisit weekend??? I personally can't wait till tomorrow. I'm planning on arriving at about 3:30... how about everyone else?

See you soon!

Excited! Now I have to find the 2nd look email so I know what to pack!

Classmates!!!! We will be meeting each other tomorrow. Shall we have a secret SDN handshake?!? Kidding. :)
I cannot wait to meet you all.

Hey everyone! I had a great time a second-look; it was fun meeting some of you and the other prospective students! And, Boston and the weather were great!

On less fun news, I figured I should let you all know that I have decided to withdraw from Harvard. I will be attending the University of Michigan in the fall. It has been an excrutiating decision, but I think that Michigan is the best choice for my wife and me. There's no one thing I can point to being the "deciding" factor; in fact the students, facilities, faculty, staff, weather, even the expenses didn't play that big a role, it is more of a gut-feeling thing that I hope will turn out to be correct. I wish you all good luck with your future careers, wherever you wind up, and perhaps we'll meet again sometime!

Oh, someone needs to post how the weekend wrapped up from noon on (including society olympics). I had to leave early, unfortunately. And Kimka, I was just kidding about the "girlie' beer :p . Take care, everyone!

Dajimmers -

Too bad to hear that we won't be classmates next year, but it sounds like you're making the right choice for yourself, and that's the best thing. The rest of the day yesterday was a lot of fun; the day was absolutely BEAUTIFUL and the olympics were incredibly incredibly goofy and fun to watch.

And it was great meeting other SDNers - goes to show you that not everyone you meet on the internet is a weirdo (though others might dispute that in my case ...).

Hi everybody,

I finally joined up with SDN :) Don't know what took me so long.

It was so good to meet everyone at the Revisit Weekend! I'm really excited about HMS now and I can't wait till next year. (Okay, maybe I can wait a little bit... I need some time off from school!) Definitely going to live in Vandy at least to start out and then I'll play it by ear from there.

And yes, that's my real first name, not a secret identity - so anyone I didn't meet at Revisit, hello!

Miya said:
Hi everybody,

I finally joined up with SDN :) Don't know what took me so long.

It was so good to meet everyone at the Revisit Weekend! I'm really excited about HMS now and I can't wait till next year. (Okay, maybe I can wait a little bit... I need some time off from school!) Definitely going to live in Vandy at least to start out and then I'll play it by ear from there.

And yes, that's my real first name, not a secret identity - so anyone I didn't meet at Revisit, hello!

Welcome Miya!
It was really nice to meet everyone - definitely the warmest, most interesting, diverse, friendly, caring, talented group of students (and future students) that I met ANYWHERE - you guys rock! I am in agreement about being excited for school, but ready for a vacation...or at least an adventure.

Speaking of an adventure, after traversing the country from coast-to-coast on a moving excursion, I will be sooo happy to go play in the mountains, experience the bonding that only not showering for 4 days can bring. Who else is thinking of doing FEAT? Who is thinking of FUNC?

Oh, if you haven't noticed - I FINALLY DECIDED ON HMS!!!
I am getting more excited by the moment and am confident that I have made the right choice for me. Thanks to all who listened to my incessant verbal barrage of half-self argument, half-advice seeking babble.

Risa, what's your favorite animal? :laugh:

Risa, you are the next HMS heartthrob - I love your signature quotes! :laugh:

Alpenglow -

Yay! So glad to hear you've decided. If you couldn't tell, I've decided finally too. I'm withdrawn from everywhere else as of today. I also found a roommate during the revisit, and we're in the process of looking for apartments right now. So things are looking good :)