GW class of 2010!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
x

Members don't see this ad.

congrats gwu2006md, hope there are many more like you at GW!

hey guys - so, does anyone think it might be a good idea to make a yahoo group for gw2010? does something like that already exist? i was talking to a friend from undergrad who'll also be in our class (!!), and she was saying it'd be great to somehow get to talk to some fellow classmates before we all actually meet during orientation.

do you guys think it's a good idea? does anyone know how to start a yahoo group? (i'm kind of stupid with that stuff.) anyway, maybe if it happens, i can e-mail dean mcquail about it and she can let the other acceptees know about it. that way, people other than those of us on sdn can join in.

so, lemme know what you all think. :thumbup:

-chris

Members don't see this ad :)
couldn't hurt

I wanted to start the mingling and getting to know eachother (I am big on team environments) but didn't know what was the best way to go about it.

I guess I would rather do email than posting contact info and the like on SDN

go ahead chris, take initiative

medstylee said:
hey guys - so, does anyone think it might be a good idea to make a yahoo group for gw2010? does something like that already exist? i was talking to a friend from undergrad who'll also be in our class (!!), and she was saying it'd be great to somehow get to talk to some fellow classmates before we all actually meet during orientation.

do you guys think it's a good idea? does anyone know how to start a yahoo group? (i'm kind of stupid with that stuff.) anyway, maybe if it happens, i can e-mail dean mcquail about it and she can let the other acceptees know about it. that way, people other than those of us on sdn can join in.

-chris

sounds like a great idea!

sn0wbum said:
sounds like a great idea!

I'm down too. I will help you look into it if you want. Just PM me and we can get this started. Can't wait for medical school to start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (12 weeks and a day!) hehe

-pretty :cool:

Looking on the yahoo website, this thing looks pretty simple.

I am not totally sure about this either, but another option could also be the Google Groups thing. I am sure it's pretty similar to Yahoo's, but I have found that google does a lot better job sorting out spam than Yahoo has done for my email accounts (having accounts for both).

And if anyone is used to the whole threads staying together, I think Google Groups does the same thing - I have loved gmail for that. I looked into it some today, and it didn't seem that complicated..... what do you guys think?

-waitman

Hi guys.

After checking my private messages a few minutes ago and finding the umpteenth message asking about the match list, let me just say that the match list for the class of 2006 was spectacular. Probably the only reason why the entire list has not been released is that it has traditionally not been released. Some of you have an idea from my earlier replies to private messages about what the match list looks like. I wish that the list could be released for you guys to see. Our class was given match result release waiver forms so it is possible that a list will be released sooner or later. Although there is a preliminary/partial list, it would not be proper to cut and paste it to a forum unless the school takes the initiative to release it.

Approximately 15% of graduates who are starting residency immediately after graduation (which is the vast majority of the class...as opposed to going on to other degrees or research prior to residency) matched to a competitive residency at one of the following places: Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Yale, UPenn, Johns Hopkins, Washington of St Louis, Mayo Clinic rochester, and UCSF alone. By any standard, that is a great match.

What I hope to illustrate by giving this percentage is that you can match to virtually any residency at virtually any hospital as a gwu med student. Any speculation that the match is poor is COMPLETELY unfounded and is based entirely on GW's history of not publishing the entire match list. (a trend which may have started way back in the old days when the match list was not as great as it is now)

My other remark on this issue would be that regardless of what the match list has looked like in the past, your match will depend entirely on the grades and board score that you earn and your clinical performance. If your board score is the minimum passing score and your grades are average, no med school can help you match into a top-notch residency unless your mom or dad is chairman of the dept somewhere. On the other hand, as a GWU student, if your board scores are in the competitive range and your grades are rock solid, you have an excellent chance at matching to a residency of your choice.

Given the choice between Johns Hopkins med school and GWU, you would choose Hopkins, but at the same time GWU is not a bottom tier school.

medstylee said:

-chris

I have both yahoo and google accts, but I agree w/ waitman that google is great for organizing messages. It does look pretty simple. I think if you're logged into google you can just click on "more" on the top left, then to groups, then to create a new group. It'll ask you to create a group name, email address, and description. you should have the honors since it was your awesome idea to get this started. Let me know what name you end up deciding so I can sign up.

12 wks and counting :D

where are you going? they actually did release the match list this year. I thought it was decent - lots of kids going to Cali so I hope I'll get to go home at the end of all this too.

I'm down with the groups too, but slightly internet technologically challenged. I'm surprised I even found student doctor network and to tell the truth just lurked for awhile unsure if I would be able to figure out how to post messages. But I will happily join a group if you tell me how to get to it!

so, i'm going to go ahead and make a google group. it looks real easy. i'll post the address link as soon as it's up and ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright everyone,

i've made the group (GW Med 2010), and anyone is able to join. you don't need a gmail account, just any old e-mail.

here's how it works (for those of you who use gmail, it's pretty much the same thing): people can create individual topics (let's say, "housing"), and then members can make individual posts under that topic. all posts within that topic show up in order when you click on the topic heading. it's really convenient, and i think it will work out well. since anyone can join, hopefully upperclassmen, or graduates or faculty will post from time to time with helpful advice.

so, if you guys have other friends going to gw who don't use sdn, pass the word along. if people find this group useful as a communication tool, i'll inform admissions and hopefully they'll be able to spread the word along to everyone who's coming!

here's the link:
http://groups.google.com/group/GW-Med-2010

Ok so I signed up

the thing is that anyone can look up the info posted on this, you can just search through Google Groups

The thing with Yahoo Groups, is that it is completely through email. Like if we set up [email protected] you can send an email to that address and everyone can gets it in their email.

Can we do that with Google groups also?

I am totally trying not to be difficult, I am just trying to protect everyone's privacy ya know?

On a side note, any GW peoples currently in LA?

bigdreamer said:
Ok so I signed up

the thing is that anyone can look up the info posted on this, you can just search through Google Groups

The thing with Yahoo Groups, is that it is completely through email. Like if we set up [email protected] you can send an email to that address and everyone can gets it in their email.

Can we do that with Google groups also? QUOTE]

yup the email address is [email protected].
it looks like discussion groups on yahoo are searchable too. i think it's just a matter of the group moderator changing the access settings to restrict messages to members only or even accept/reject requests to join the group, but i don't really see random people wanting to join, but ya never know lol. i'm ok with it either way. i think you raise a very good point and i will be mindful of posting really private info. thanks!

hey,

so, yeah, i agree with your concerns. when i made the group, i fixed the settings so that (a)only members could search posts, (b) only members could see the posts, and (c) only members could make posts. however, when i'm not signed in, i am able to search for the group. and, if i click on the group name a few times (sometimes it takes one or two tries), it allows me to read entire messages. i did this on another computer in my house as a test. so, it seems like google group security is flawed. if this can't be fixed, i think that maybe we should try yahoo instead. it's too bad, though. google groups seemed really convenient!

i'll let you know what i can find out.

alright, so, actually, i think the problem is actually fixed. i think the security settings just needed some time to take effect, because they seem to work now.

so, any old person can do a google groups search and find the gw med 2010 group. however, unless that person is a member, s/he cannot see posts nor can s/he make posts.

one thing that is public is membership. so, anyone can come along and become a member and then see/make posts. as the moderator, i can change the setting so that people need my approval to become members. however, at this point in time, it seems silly to do that. we'll never get enough members that way. maybe, once membership builds up and other people from our class hear about it, then we can change the settings so that membership must be approved.

anyway, i was wondering if any of you can do a test to make sure that security is working now. without signing in, search google groups for our group. then, when you find it, see if you can access any posts. if not, then i guess it's all fixed. let me know. thanks.

Hi 2010!

Just wanted to introduce myself on the board. I'm Fred, a 3rd year. You'll probably be hearing lots from me in the future as I try to organize lots of fun things at school. I wanted to give out my first tip which is to sign up for a gmail account if you don't already have one. This way you can forward your GWU email to your gmail and not lose any files or have to delete anything. GW only offers 20MB of email space. You'll get an orientation handout on how to sign up for your GW email and to forward it to gmail, but I thought I'd give that tip out early.

Also, this year, the Dean's calendar will be posted onto the Google Calendar at some point, so I'd suggest signing up for that as well. You'll be able to automatically add events (like interest group meetings) from an email you read straight to your Google Calendar.

Enjoy your summer and see you in August. Is anyone living in HOVA? Just curious... I'll be there :)

Hi Freddy! I love how upper-classman seem so involved in making changes for the better at GW! It seems like you all have a really great group there.

Now sorry to sound dumb, but what do you need to sign up for to get access to the google calendar?

localgirl said:
Now sorry to sound dumb, but what do you need to sign up for to get access to the google calendar?

and how do you get your gwu mail forwarded to your gmail?

(I am way to over anxious, but I am bored at work)

gwu2006md said:
Hi guys.

After checking my private messages a few minutes ago and finding the umpteenth message asking about the match list, let me just say that the match list for the class of 2006 was spectacular. Probably the only reason why the entire list has not been released is that it has traditionally not been released. Some of you have an idea from my earlier replies to private messages about what the match list looks like. I wish that the list could be released for you guys to see. Our class was given match result release waiver forms so it is possible that a list will be released sooner or later. Although there is a preliminary/partial list, it would not be proper to cut and paste it to a forum unless the school takes the initiative to release it.

Approximately 15% of graduates who are starting residency immediately after graduation (which is the vast majority of the class...as opposed to going on to other degrees or research prior to residency) matched to a competitive residency at one of the following places: Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Yale, UPenn, Johns Hopkins, Washington of St Louis, Mayo Clinic rochester, and UCSF alone. By any standard, that is a great match.

What I hope to illustrate by giving this percentage is that you can match to virtually any residency at virtually any hospital as a gwu med student. Any speculation that the match is poor is COMPLETELY unfounded and is based entirely on GW's history of not publishing the entire match list. (a trend which may have started way back in the old days when the match list was not as great as it is now)

My other remark on this issue would be that regardless of what the match list has looked like in the past, your match will depend entirely on the grades and board score that you earn and your clinical performance. If your board score is the minimum passing score and your grades are average, no med school can help you match into a top-notch residency unless your mom or dad is chairman of the dept somewhere. On the other hand, as a GWU student, if your board scores are in the competitive range and your grades are rock solid, you have an excellent chance at matching to a residency of your choice.

Given the choice between Johns Hopkins med school and GWU, you would choose Hopkins, but at the same time GWU is not a bottom tier school.

As an upcoming 4th year, I will agree that the Match List was awesome! Almost all of the 4th years I know matched at one of their top choice residency programs.

However, I want to give everyone some advice. Take the Match Lists with a grain of salt. There are lot more factors than just the school that go into these lists. You have to look at student preference for the various specialties, demographics of the class, and other student factors. I have known people who have gotten interviews at some of the most prestigious residency programs in the country and then end up not ranking them because they didn't want to be too far away from their family, it wasn't a good time for their spouse to relocate, or they simply did not like the program for whatever reason. It is more important to look at whether or not people matched in places and specialties that they wanted.

My advisor told me that when I start interviewing that I need to rank those programs that felt right for me the highest---not to worry about prestige, rank, or location. Residency is a hard time in medical training and you want to be in a program where you are going to be happy.

Does anyone know the exact date of the White Coat Ceremony?

I am thinking that is the only day that my parents have to be around during the Orientation between the 16th and 22nd, right?

Thanks!

bigdreamer said:
Does anyone know the exact date of the White Coat Ceremony?

I am thinking that is the only day that my parents have to be around during the Orientation between the 16th and 22nd, right?

Thanks!

Its on Aug 19th.

What's HOVA?

Does anyone live at River Place? I'm thinking of buying a unit there.
Audra

freddydpt said:
Hi 2010!

Just wanted to introduce myself on the board. I'm Fred, a 3rd year. You'll probably be hearing lots from me in the future as I try to organize lots of fun things at school. I wanted to give out my first tip which is to sign up for a gmail account if you don't already have one. This way you can forward your GWU email to your gmail and not lose any files or have to delete anything. GW only offers 20MB of email space. You'll get an orientation handout on how to sign up for your GW email and to forward it to gmail, but I thought I'd give that tip out early.

Also, this year, the Dean's calendar will be posted onto the Google Calendar at some point, so I'd suggest signing up for that as well. You'll be able to automatically add events (like interest group meetings) from an email you read straight to your Google Calendar.

Enjoy your summer and see you in August. Is anyone living in HOVA? Just curious... I'll be there :)

I just signed a lease for an apt in the Jefferson House this past weekend...1 step closer :)

BrookMD said:
I just signed a lease for an apt in the Jefferson House this past weekend...1 step closer :)

hey, congrats! how'd you go about finding places in the jefferson house? i've seen a couple listed on craigslist, but they were available immediately rather than around august 1, when i'd like to move in.

BrookMD said:

Really? You decided to go with Jefferson House? Do you mind sharing your thoughts on how you came to choose it? I thought the units were small and not very well maintained... though I suppose it is all relative! :p Living across the street is a huge convenience... that will be super nice! Did you get a 1 bedroom or efficiency?

medstylee said:
hey, congrats! how'd you go about finding places in the jefferson house? i've seen a couple listed on craigslist, but they were available immediately rather than around august 1, when i'd like to move in.

thanks medstylee! I'm not sure if your from around the area, but if you can get down to GW just go from building to building asking the front desk if you can look at their rental books. That's what I did. I tried the whole internet search too, and even called a bunch of the apartment complexes for rentals but wasn't getting anywhere. Being that I'm from NY I knew I had to just take a weekend and go down myself and actively hunt for apts. Make sure you have at least 2 days to spare for the hunt.
Also, sometimes if you call real-estate agents in the area they can help you out too.
I signed my lease starting for July, even though I won't be moving in until August. I wasnt super thrilled about that, but I just didnt want to take a chance with not getting an apartment later on. Some people told me I was too late in the game and others said to wait until late June or early July. Personally, I think it would be best to start looking now, because there was this one apartment I saw nearby GWU that 20 people had expressed interest in seeing. And even though I was number 2 on the list, the girl who saw it before me had decided to sign the lease. BUT still not to worry you'll definitely find something. There are tons of apartment complexes and this is the prime time that most of them become available.
Let me know if you have anymore questions, and how your search goes! Good LUCK!!! :luck:

audramill said:
Really? You decided to go with Jefferson House? Do you mind sharing your thoughts on how you came to choose it? I thought the units were small and not very well maintained... though I suppose it is all relative! :p Living across the street is a huge convenience... that will be super nice! Did you get a 1 bedroom or efficiency?

Hey Audramill! You really didn't like the Jefferson House? I saw a couple of buildings and out of them I thought JH was the best one for me. I mean there are certain things I didn't like, for one the hallways seemed kinda old, my bathroom/ kitchen need some work. BUT I figured it's all give and take, right? I mean you definitely can't beat the convenience. I have an efficiency, and compared to other apt complexes I found mine to be fairly large and bright and sunny. It's also faces the front of the building so that may make a difference. The staff in JH seemed really friendly and helpful. I saw an apt in the President Condo and it was so tiny, I think 300 square feet. And even though the studio was in the front of the building it was dark and dreary. Also, the kitchen was sooo tiny, barely room for 1 person, it just seemed to depressing for me. Personally, I think if you can walk into a place and envision yourself in it then you know you found something you'll be happy with.
Have you decided on anything yet, or are you still looking?
Let me know if you have any more questions! :)

freddydpt said:
Hi 2010!

Hey Fred-

I'll be in HOVA. I'm a little apprehensive about moving back onto campus (I went to undergrad at GW), but hey, for the price, I figured why the heck not?!

I heard they were doing some renovations. Do you have any idea if this is true, and if so, to what extent? Not that I'm all that picky. I've seen HOVA rooms, and they're fine with me, but I was just wondering.

:)

BrookMD said:
thanks medstylee! I'm not sure if your from around the area, but if you can get down to GW just go from building to building asking the front desk if you can look at their rental books. That's what I did. I tried the whole internet search too, and even called a bunch of the apartment complexes for rentals but wasn't getting anywhere. Being that I'm from NY I knew I had to just take a weekend and go down myself and actively hunt for apts. Make sure you have at least 2 days to spare for the hunt.
Also, sometimes if you call real-estate agents in the area they can help you out too.
I signed my lease starting for July, even though I won't be moving in until August. I wasnt super thrilled about that, but I just didnt want to take a chance with not getting an apartment later on. Some people told me I was too late in the game and others said to wait until late June or early July. Personally, I think it would be best to start looking now, because there was this one apartment I saw nearby GWU that 20 people had expressed interest in seeing. And even though I was number 2 on the list, the girl who saw it before me had decided to sign the lease. BUT still not to worry you'll definitely find something. There are tons of apartment complexes and this is the prime time that most of them become available.
Let me know if you have anymore questions, and how your search goes! Good LUCK!!! :luck:

hey brook - thanks a ton for the advice. that's a little scary about some of the places saying you're too late! i think i'll probably be "sick" for work one day and just drive down to dc and check out a few places. probably the jefferson, claridge, 2400 penn, etc. all the regulars. another friend of mine had great luck doing that. anyway, yeah, thanks again.

ps. were there any other buildings that you liked, that you'd recommend that i check out?

medstylee said:
hey brook - thanks a ton for the advice. that's a little scary about some of the places saying you're too late! i think i'll probably be "sick" for work one day and just drive down to dc and check out a few places. probably the jefferson, claridge, 2400 penn, etc. all the regulars. another friend of mine had great luck doing that. anyway, yeah, thanks again.

ps. were there any other buildings that you liked, that you'd recommend that i check out?

Your welcome! :)I'm always happy to help :)
But, I cant really think of any other buildings just the regulars that are listed on some of the websites. I'm assuming to want to be close to school, but I'm not quite sure of your price range. You can also check out the Elise. Its like down the street from JH. I didn't get to go inside but another student told me she rented there before and the apartments were fairly large and reasonably priced. Also, if you do decide on the President Condo watch out for the apartments facing the back of the building, apparently there's a truck that comes to empty the dumpster 530am every morn, well unless your really a morning person then its great. :p Anyways, one of the receptionist gave me the number of a real-estate agent who offered to show me some apartments on New Hampshire Ave (the other side of the circle) and K street. Even though they're not that far from the school, they were similarly priced to what I had already found. But its all relative. Anyways, good luck!!

AmyGW said:
Hey Fred-

I'll be in HOVA. I'm a little apprehensive about moving back onto campus (I went to undergrad at GW), but hey, for the price, I figured why the heck not?!

I heard they were doing some renovations. Do you have any idea if this is true, and if so, to what extent? Not that I'm all that picky. I've seen HOVA rooms, and they're fine with me, but I was just wondering.

:)

I have no clue about renovations other than removing some extra furniture that was there for the undergrads. See ya soon...

freddydpt said:
I have no clue about renovations other than removing some extra furniture that was there for the undergrads. See ya soon...

I didn't realize HOVA would be open to upperclassmen. Do you think alot of you are signing up for it? Also, I signed up for HOVA but never got a chance to look at it. What's the kitchen like, is it just one stove in the basement? Are the single rooms the same size as the doubles? Do the rooms have carpets? And how big are the closets?
Like I said I signed the license agreement without seeing the rooms, I live in NY and I just had no time to come take a look. If anyone can answer my questions that would be a big help. Thanks.

I am all the way over in Cali and will not have a chance to actually see the apartment that I am moving into until I get there.

I am planning on living with 2 law school people and one is there right now looking around. The problem is that they both have a little more money than I do. I just wanted to know that it would be unreasonable to find a 3 bedroom place where I can pay 800 in Dupont? The place he found was $1100-1200 per person, and that just doesn't seem right.

bigdreamer said:
I am all the way over in Cali and will not have a chance to actually see the apartment that I am moving into until I get there.

I am planning on living with 2 law school people and one is there right now looking around. The problem is that they both have a little more money than I do. I just wanted to know that it would be unreasonable to find a 3 bedroom place where I can pay 800 in Dupont? The place he found was $1100-1200 per person, and that just doesn't seem right.

You are definitely not gonna find a 3 bedroom in dupont for $800...1100-1200 is about right..hey MD Rapper, you did physio while living in Dupont? where did you live and how much did u pay? congrats on getting in to gw by the way

bigdreamer said:

That's actually a really good price. I don't think there's anything besides crappy student studios for less than $1000 anywhere near campus - I pay $1000 and I live 4 miles from school.

I had to move from Cali without ever seeing the place too and it worked out fabulously!

Brickhouse said:
That's actually a really good price. I don't think there's anything besides crappy student studios for less than $1000 anywhere near campus - I pay $1000 and I live 4 miles from school.

I had to move from Cali without ever seeing the place too and it worked out fabulously!

:laugh: great avatar

Hey guys,

As of now, looks like that I will be attending GWU School of Medicine. I was wondering if any of you guys happen to know what the grading system is like at GWU. I'm not sure if it is pass/fail or based on a grading scale. If anyone could get back to me, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks,
-ishqbina

just wondering...

did any of you guys choose gw over your state school(s), despite a large tuition difference? i was just suddenly and unexpectedly confronted with this choice. i know, i know, i should go with my gut feeling - my gut says "go to gw." so, yeah, i'm not really looking for advise. rather, i'm just curious to see how many others (if any on this thread) made this decision. thanks guys.

ishqbina said:
Hey guys,

As of now, looks like that I will be attending GWU School of Medicine. I was wondering if any of you guys happen to know what the grading system is like at GWU. I'm not sure if it is pass/fail or based on a grading scale. If anyone could get back to me, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks,
-ishqbina

I think its Honors/Pass/Conditional/Fail...Im not sure though

medstylee said:
just wondering...

did any of you guys choose gw over your state school(s), despite a large tuition difference? i was just suddenly and unexpectedly confronted with this choice. i know, i know, i should go with my gut feeling - my gut says "go to gw." so, yeah, i'm not really looking for advise. rather, i'm just curious to see how many others (if any on this thread) made this decision. thanks guys.

What's your state school?