GW class of 2010!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jannahz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought i'd get us started. anyone know where they're living yet?

Members don't see this ad.

jannahz said:
I thought i'd get us started. anyone know where they're living yet?

no idea! where is everyone! gotta get some g-dub spirit up in here . . . :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so excited!! congrats pyt27! as of now, it looks like we're the only ones going there next year!

jannahz said:
I'm so excited!! congrats pyt27! as of now, it looks like we're the only ones going there next year!

I'll be there, too!

I was wondering when someone was going to start this thread.

AmyGW said:
I'll be there, too!

I was wondering when someone was going to start this thread.

me too! hahaha we're such dorks :D yay for G-DUB! Men's ball is #6 in the NATION!

jannahz said:

woop wooooop, it's gonna be an insane 4 years . . . . :D who cares-we're in!

PYT27 said:
woop wooooop, it's gonna be an insane 4 years . . . . :D who cares-we're in!

Count me in :D... I can't wait to start in the fall...

Well, since there are two GW 2010 threads, I'm just posting to both!

I'm very excited to have been accepted to GW! I was on the waitlist for months and months last year. I've also been accepted at one other school I really liked, so I'm trying to decide... So, it's 50/50 that I'll be at GW!

MD Rapper-lookin forward to seeing you next fall- :D , so can you really sing? cus i have a friend in the DC area who is really serious about his music and can play any instrument known to man but can't sing :p you two should meet . . .

so to the latter, WOW what a nice situation to be in-Loyola vs. GW-wow man WOW . . . .

PYT27 said:
so to the latter, WOW what a nice situation to be in-Loyola vs. GW-wow man WOW . . . .

Yes, I feel very blessed and lucky!

HII! Just wanted to say congrats to everyone who's in!!!

I'll be joining you in the Fall too...super excited!!

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATULATIONS to all of you, i wish you all the best of luck...

can any of you tell us prospective students, who WISH to be in your shoes next year, what your mcat and gpa's were when you applied???

thanks,
schooler.

to Cubes_MD

(sorry I'm dumb-shoulda included quote-teehee . .. )

hey guys,
how long did it take for you to hear back after your interview?? Ive heard some people receiving acceptances after as little as 2 wks...

Hi guys! I might be joining you in August, but I'm waiting on financial aid before I decide.

Does anyone know when we will get GW's aid package finalized? The link on the website to the online financial aid app still isn't active.

Does anyone know if GW gives out any grants/scholarships? When I interviewed, students made it sound like they all just had all loans. I'm hoping that there is some grant money available.

Finally, is there a second look visit?

Vizsla said:
hey guys,
how long did it take for you to hear back after your interview?? Ive heard some people receiving acceptances after as little as 2 wks...

I found out after 5 weeks.

i'll be there too! anyone know anything about housing? msar says that they try to set you up with other students if you want. anyone know anything about that?

jpwinsmcgee said:
i'll be there too! anyone know anything about housing? msar says that they try to set you up with other students if you want. anyone know anything about that?

I haven't heard anything about that.. but it'd be cool if all the med students lived in the same area. i wish they had dorms for us. hmm... i wonder if that'd be too much stress from school in one building's foundation?!

Hey!!

What did you guys think of the housing email??? Anyone going to choose any of those options? I'm trying to find an apartment right now and its unbelievable how expesive things are...

Anyways, just wanted to see where everyone was at regarding housing stuff.. :)

Cubes_MD said:
Hey!!

What did you guys think of the housing email??? Anyone going to choose any of those options? I'm trying to find an apartment right now and its unbelievable how expesive things are...

Anyways, just wanted to see where everyone was at regarding housing stuff.. :)
Apparently HOVA (the dorm mentioned in the email) is a converted hotel that GW is currently using as a freshmen dorm (but the city wont let them keep freshmen there after this year.) The housing people I spoke with said that they are doing some minor renovations and that it will be really nice. I was also told that so far mostly med students have expressed interest in it.

I'm not sure how excited I am about living in a dorm again, but it's half the cost of anywhere else, so we'll see.

air1289 said:
Apparently HOVA (the dorm mentioned in the email) is a converted hotel that GW is currently using as a freshmen dorm (but the city wont let them keep freshmen there after this year.) The housing people I spoke with said that they are doing some minor renovations and that it will be really nice. I was also told that so far mostly med students have expressed interest in it.

I'm not sure how excited I am about living in a dorm again, but it's half the cost of anywhere else, so we'll see.

how much are they saying HOVA is per month? one of my friends lived there in undergrad...they were exactly like hotel rooms but only ~15 min walk away from med school

Vizsla said:
how much are they saying HOVA is per month? one of my friends lived there in undergrad...they were exactly like hotel rooms but only ~15 min walk away from med school

according to the website:
A Single Occupancy Room is $700/month ($3150/semester)
A Double Occupancy Room is $800/month ($1800/semester per person)

http://gwired.gwu.edu/cllc/housing/GradHousing/HOVA/

It seems pretty cool and cheap. I'm considering living there for a semester and looking around at apartments for the next semester.

jannahz said:
according to the website:
A Single Occupancy Room is $700/month ($3150/semester)
A Double Occupancy Room is $800/month ($1800/semester per person)

http://gwired.gwu.edu/cllc/housing/GradHousing/HOVA/

It seems pretty cool and cheap. I'm considering living there for a semester and looking around at apartments for the next semester.

wow, im impressed. thats not bad at all.

has anyone seen the 2006 matchlist for gwu?

Vizsla said:
has anyone seen the 2006 matchlist for gwu?

I was under the impression that they didn't publish it, but I could definitely be wrong.

I dont understand why they don't publish it. It would be really helpful to me to see where their graduates actually go...

The cynic in me can't help but think they are hiding it on purpose. Like, that maybe the match list isn't that impressive?

I love the school, but I want to get all the info before I make my choice.

foodlover said:
I dont understand why they don't publish it. It would be really helpful to me to see where their graduates actually go...

The cynic in me can't help but think they are hiding it on purpose. Like, that maybe the match list isn't that impressive?

I love the school, but I want to get all the info before I make my choice.

There's a really general matchlist on their website that just says mentions a few centers where folks matched, and it says how many people matched into each specialty... I asked them for more info regarding the match list, but that was all I got. :confused:

wistarrat said:
There's a really general matchlist on their website that just says mentions a few centers where folks matched, and it says how many people matched into each specialty... I asked them for more info regarding the match list, but that was all I got. :confused:

Yeah, that's why I am suspicious, they only tell us a few big-name hospitals that people matched at...but what if everyone else matched at no-name places? It just seems weird to me, is all -- I mean, every other school I've looked at publishes their complete list.

On February 21, I sent a list of questions to the admissions office. I received a response stating that the person did not know the answers and would pass my questions on to someone who could answer. On March 8, I still hadn't heard back, so I e-mailed them again. I was told that they would check on my issues again. Yeah, I haven't gotten any answers.

Here are two of my more important questions:

"What is the board passing rate at GW? How does that compare to the national average? If it's lower than the national average, why is that? How many students failed Step 1 last year? Did they all pass on the second try? I’ve heard (from a current student) that the MS1 and MS2 classes do not specifically “teach to the boards” and that students are expected to seek outside training for the test. Is this true? Should I expect to need to enroll in an outside prep course, such as Kaplan? Does the GW program schedule in study time at the end of the second year to prep for the exam?

What percentage of the class matches in their first attempt? If any didn't match, did they choose a different specialty?"

A student told me that she felt the MS1 and MS2 classes were unorganized. I was also told that GWU tends to take more students with lower MCAT scores, which may explain the idea that the board passing rate isn't as high. I take the rumors with a grain of salt. I was hoping to get some real answers from the school itself, but of course, I haven't. Honestly, I was very disappointed with the lack of response. Before I was admitted, the school was very attentive to my questions and requests. Now that I'm admitted, they don't appear to care.

If any of you can get the answers to these questions, please pass them on.

MD Rapper said:
You're absolutely right... but I can't imagine that it could be so terrible for the following reasons:

1) GW is a US allopathic school
2) It is private
3) It is in a very strategic location (geographically) between new england and the southern atlantic coast. This reason and #2 lead me to believe that they may have some good affiliations.
4) The selected hospitals publicized were pretty much top tier... so I can't imagine people matching into anything less than mid-tier from the school.

I'm not fully certain about any of this... just my 2 cents.

I agree with you on all those points. GW should have a pretty decent match list for all those reasons - I think it's a great school. But it still begs the question as to why they don't publicize it. Even schools with mostly mid-tier matches still publish the whole list as a selling point. I just don't like the idea that they aren't willing to give us all the info, whatever their reasons may be.

opstandzon and air,

thanks for posting the info and the emailed questions. Post if you ever get any more info!

it sucks that their avg board scores are lower than the national mean, but then again I think that your scores on the boards are heavily based on your own individual preparation. It seems that having classes that "teach to the boards" would be equivalent to picking up some Board review books and First Aid and studying solely from them...obviously this is hurting gw's step 1 scores but if you're a good student and prepare well, you can get a great score. I dont know if I would appreciate taking classes that mention things only seen on previous board exams...

opstandzon said:
On February 21, I sent a list of questions to the admissions office. I received a response stating that the person did not know the answers and would pass my questions on to someone who could answer. On March 8, I still hadn't heard back, so I e-mailed them again. I was told that they would check on my issues again. Yeah, I haven't gotten any answers.

"What is the board passing rate at GW? How does that compare to the national average? If it's lower than the national average, why is that? How many students failed Step 1 last year? Did they all pass on the second try? I’ve heard (from a current student) that the MS1 and MS2 classes do not specifically “teach to the boards” and that students are expected to seek outside training for the test. Is this true? Should I expect to need to enroll in an outside prep course, such as Kaplan? Does the GW program schedule in study time at the end of the second year to prep for the exam?

What percentage of the class matches in their first attempt? If any didn't match, did they choose a different specialty?"

A student told me that she felt the MS1 and MS2 classes were unorganized. I was also told that GWU tends to take more students with lower MCAT scores, which may explain the idea that the board passing rate isn't as high. I take the rumors with a grain of salt. I was hoping to get some real answers from the school itself, but of course, I haven't. Honestly, I was very disappointed with the lack of response. Before I was admitted, the school was very attentive to my questions and requests. Now that I'm admitted, they don't appear to care.

really good questions by the way....

opstandzon said:

That really sucks that they haven't gotten back to you. I would be pissed. Matter of fact, I am pissed that they are doing this because at this point they should be answering questions more because they dont even have a second look! Jeez, they are making it real easy to look at other schools that are more attentive.

hey guys. so i'm a 21 year old girl and very interested in the two housing options they mentioned in the housing email. is anyone else interested? if not, where else are you guys looking to live? also, i am going back to visit this week and have been on the phone w/ the admissions committee and housing people and they have been super helpful in answering my questions and helping me arrange my own second look day. i recommend you guys do that too.

please help me out on housing; i'm so clueless!

hey everyone two quick questions. 1) where is the
'general" match list mentioned earlier, and 2)does anyone know whats up with preregistration fee or what ever its called thats due in June in addition to the deposit and before fin. aid kicks in?

jpwinsmcgee said:
hey guys. so i'm a 21 year old girl and very interested in the two housing options they mentioned in the housing email. is anyone else interested? if not, where else are you guys looking to live? also, i am going back to visit this week and have been on the phone w/ the admissions committee and housing people and they have been super helpful in answering my questions and helping me arrange my own second look day. i recommend you guys do that too.

please help me out on housing; i'm so clueless!

JP-

I am also probably going to live in HOVA, provided I have the option. It's a good deal but understandably not for everyone. If you love to cook, it's going to be a problem, since (as of this moment) there is only one kitchen for the entire building. Nonetheless, I went to undergrad at GW, so I'm familiar with the building and the rooms. It's definitely a good deal and very convenient to the med school.

As for other housing options, there are plenty if you don't want to live near campus. The Foggy Bottom area is pricey, but if you are willing to go a little further out, you can find stuff that's reasonable. Before hearing about HOVA, I was planning to live in SW near the waterfront, which is a very up and coming area and relatively inexpensive.

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to pm me or whatever.

Amy

mphthenmd said:
hey everyone two quick questions. 1) where is the
'general" match list mentioned earlier, and 2)does anyone know whats up with preregistration fee or what ever its called thats due in June in addition to the deposit and before fin. aid kicks in?

I was just looking at the "general" match list here:

http://www.gwumc.edu/edu/admis/html/academics/residencies.html

It just rattles off some well-known institutions and numbers, but doesn't match the programs with the specialties. I was sad to see no ENTs on the tally, but I guess they're rare. Seems like an odd list: zero in ENT or derm, but 14 in anesthesia!

Don't know what's up with the several thousand dollar deposit in June. This feels like a weeder-fee. Poor folks like me (and most of you!) can't handle this amount even with 2 months notice. I know this kind of deposit is popular at some of the DO schools, but haven't seen it elsewhere. le sigh.

I don't understand why there are so many posts about matchlists. GW is a good school, do your best and you will get what you want (or at least something close). Going to ***vard or ***ford and doing bad isn't gonna place you in a good match, but going to GW and doing well will. This is my plan anyway. See you all in August.

wistarrat said:
I was just looking at the "general" match list here:

http://www.gwumc.edu/edu/admis/html/academics/residencies.html

It just rattles off some well-known institutions and numbers, but doesn't match the programs with the specialties. I was sad to see no ENTs on the tally, but I guess they're rare. Seems like an odd list: zero in ENT or derm, but 14 in anesthesia!

Don't know what's up with the several thousand dollar deposit in June. This feels like a weeder-fee. Poor folks like me (and most of you!) can't handle this amount even with 2 months notice. I know this kind of deposit is popular at some of the DO schools, but haven't seen it elsewhere. le sigh.

Besides, I hear that over 50% of the kids match into their first choice residency and over 80% match into on of their top 3 choice residencies . . .

Guys, what are you doing these last couple of months before orientation? aghhh-I'm going hyper trying to fit in as much 'fun' and 'relaxation' as possible . . . =P. where are y'all living?

Just found this thread...hello classmates. I am on a "waiting list" at the Statesman on F street. It seems this is common for some of the larger apt. buildings.

MD Rapper said:
You have to keep in mind that the list of specialties is not complete... It says that they're the ones that were "most highly matched." So there is a possibility that there were matches like ENT, derm, nsurg and rad onc... but it was probably 3 people or less in each. This is actually comparable to most mid-tier medical schools.

i think gw has a strong history of graduating more IM/family med/peds than other highly competitive specialties like derm/plastics...that would be more of a gtown thing (AKA specialist factory). It would be hard trying to match in derm coming from gw bc i dont think they have their own derm residency program so you wont be able to rely on your own school taking you