GW class of 2010!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PYT27 said:
Guys, what are you doing these last couple of months before orientation? aghhh-I'm going hyper trying to fit in as much 'fun' and 'relaxation' as possible . . . =P. where are y'all living?

jamaica, jamaica! a week on the beach w/ bf n friends :D

btw, I just made my final decision today on where I'll be going. yay, GW! I look forward to meeting you guys this August!

Anyone else living in HOVA or know anything about what it's actually like living there?

Members don't see this ad.

sn0wbum said:
jamaica, jamaica! a week on the beach w/ bf n friends :D

btw, I just made my final decision today on where I'll be going. yay, GW! I look forward to meeting you guys this August!

Anyone else living in HOVA or know anything about what it's actually like living there?

I'm going to be living in HOVA. Your guess is as good as mine as to what it will be like. I've been in the building before, and the rooms are decent, but I heard they are doing some renovations, etc., so I really have no idea.

I'll fist fight for kitchen privileges, though, since there is only ONE for the whole building!! :laugh:

As for my summer plans, fun times in New Hampshire :)

whats this condo like? and how far is it from campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
bigdreamer said:
whats this condo like? and how far is it from campus?

I'm not sure about condos around GW. I think HOVA would be more like dorm-style apartments and is less than 0.5mile from the school. I found these link that list on-campus housing options. From the email that was sent out it looks like HOVA and Columbia Plaza are the main graduate housing places, but I'm sure there are plenty of off-campus opportunities as well. Hope this helps!

http://gwired.gwu.edu/hc/ViewResidenceHalls/ViewHall/merlin-cgi/building_id/11

http://gwired.gwu.edu/cllc/housing/GradHousing/

Hey 2010ers,

Congrats on your acceptances and your decisions to attend GW. I'm looking forward to meeting you in August.

Those of you who haven't spent a lot of time in DC might have some big questions about living situations, neighborhoods, commuting, recreation, partying, churches, et cetera. I lived in DC for four years, fron 1999 through 2003, and I really enjoyed it, for the most part. I'm really looking forward to coming back, and I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability the questions you may have.

Coming from the West, I was shocked at DC rent prices, and that was back in '99. It's worse now. The thing is, though, that the double-edged knife of gentrification is cutting rapidly through DC and consequently the list of neighborhoods given to us by the admissions office is far from exhaustive.

One thing is certain...it will be hot on the day of the White Coat Ceremony. DC in August is brutal; that's why Congress leaves town.

Have a great one and we'll see you in four months!

Hello all! I am a potential future classmate as well!

I am the most indecisive person, so nothing is definite but I am leaning towards GW

Oh and about the match list- there was a list on SDN for the 2005 match (I'll try and find it again) It was surprisingly impressive. I knew it would be decent, but it looked great.

Anyone want to talk more about the quality of teaching or the curriculum?

Thanks!

ok so i need advice. i'm torn between gw and rfu in chicago. can you guys offer me any help?

bigdreamer said:
Anyone want to talk more about the quality of teaching or the curriculum?

I definitely want to talk about the curriculum. How does everyone feel about being in class for most of the day? How do you think you will cope with it (stay home and listen to lectures, attend class sometimes, attend class everyday and study after, etc).

For the past 3 months, I have been confused about GW or NW. Right now, I am 99% sure I am going to GW (financial aid issues of course!!!) and just wanted to get some of your opinions.

Has anyone else decided on housing for next year. I just signed on the dotted line for a place in Jefferson House - right across the street from the school. Hopefully some others will be there as well.

alot of the kids live in jefferson house, statesman, columbia plaza, claridge etc.

and i'm guessing since HOVA is being offered-alot of ppl will take that up since it's a really good deal altho i dunno what the deal is with kitchens . . .

prettymd05 said:
I definitely want to talk about the curriculum. How does everyone feel about being in class for most of the day? How do you think you will cope with it (stay home and listen to lectures, attend class sometimes, attend class everyday and study after, etc).

For the past 3 months, I have been confused about GW or NW. Right now, I am 99% sure I am going to GW (financial aid issues of course!!!) and just wanted to get some of your opinions.

For a while, I was torn between GW and Tufts, but after flying down yesterday and sitting in on classes and meeting students, I'm like 99.999% sure (fin aid pending, but it would have to be a huge difference).

I sat through a biochem lecture which was actually pretty cool, talked about interesting stuff like genetic disorders (and i didn't fall asleep which is always a good sign for me). plus the professors gave breaks every hour. i was surprised to see so many students there, but from what i was told it's really more about personal preference.

afterwards the MS2 did a panel presentation for the MS1s on what to expect next year. really helpful advice on study tips/classes/prep for boards. for the most part it seems like the students were really happy and outgoing. They emphasized that everyone has a different learning style and you should stick with what works for you. some students NEVER went to class and others went to all, if not, most. i'm definitely an auditory learner, so i'll probably be going at the lectures and studying afterwards. but i really like how the school tries to have something to fit everyone's style. students can download lectures as mp3s on to their ipods or download/print the syllabus with the powerpoint slides from class, there's a FREE notetaking service for students, and the students from the year before make their notes available to the class after them, which i think is awesome.

i'll be living in HOVA next year. it's actually a first-year undergrad dorm now which'll be switched to grad housing for next year (something about new zoning restrictions). it was really nice. in a great area across from the watergate hotel, supermarket, CVS, dry cleaners and wine store... and, it's about at 3 minute walk from Ross Hall (15+ minutes if you get lost :idea: )

take care and see you guys in August!

and i'm guessing since HOVA is being offered-alot of ppl will take that up since it's a really good deal altho i dunno what the deal is with kitchens . . .[/QUOTE]

yup, just one communal kitchen somewhere in the basement. but all of the rooms should come w/ microwave/fridge.

Members don't see this ad :)
sn0wbum said:
For a while, I was torn between GW and Tufts, but after flying down yesterday and sitting in on classes and meeting students, I'm like 99.999% sure (fin aid pending, but it would have to be a huge difference).

I sat through a biochem lecture which was actually pretty cool, talked about interesting stuff like genetic disorders (and i didn't fall asleep which is always a good sign for me). plus the professors gave breaks every hour. i was surprised to see so many students there, but from what i was told it's really more about personal preference.

afterwards the MS2 did a panel presentation for the MS1s on what to expect next year. really helpful advice on study tips/classes/prep for boards. for the most part it seems like the students were really happy and outgoing. They emphasized that everyone has a different learning style and you should stick with what works for you. some students NEVER went to class and others went to all, if not, most. i'm definitely an auditory learner, so i'll probably be going at the lectures and studying afterwards. but i really like how the school tries to have something to fit everyone's style. students can download lectures as mp3s on to their ipods or download/print the syllabus with the powerpoint slides from class, there's a FREE notetaking service for students, and the students from the year before make their notes available to the class after them, which i think is awesome.

i'll be living in HOVA next year. it's actually a first-year undergrad dorm now which'll be switched to grad housing for next year (something about new zoning restrictions). it was really nice. in a great area across from the watergate hotel, supermarket, CVS, dry cleaners and wine store... and, it's about at 3 minute walk from Ross Hall (15+ minutes if you get lost :idea: )

take care and see you guys in August!

Thanks for this post. I, too, am an auditory learner but I can get tired of going to class sometimes. So I am glad that GW makes provisions for this. I am going to go down today and look for housing. I plan on moving in around July 1st or so. I am soooo excited about living in DC and going to a wonderful school. Checking out the website, I recommend looking at the Office for Student Opportunities site. Its amazing what they offer to students. In any case, I will see you all in a short while. Hopefully we will not be shy and introduce ourselves to each other during Orientation using our SDN names :laugh:

-pretty

Now this feels much better (see below)

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? On the website it said they would post them starting April 28.

Hi Everyone! Add me to this list! Like some others, I'm 99% sure this is where I'm going to be next year and I'm so excited! Never lived in DC before, but had a great time there when I interviewed. (I'm from Hawaii, went to undergrad in Cali, and now will be making it all the way over the east coast). Look forward to meeting you all soon!

local girl- where did you go to school?

can anyone talk about the track program. I am really interested in it, and the admissions committee makes it seem like a big deal. The thing is, I talked to one of my friends that is a first year there and has no idea what program that is. Weren't they the first class to have the program? Is anyone else interested in it?

Thanks!

I'm a first-year at GW this year, so welcome to all of you who've been admitted.

The track program has a web site (click on Track Program on the left). There are tracks in Community/Urban Health, Emergency Preparedness, Global Health, Health Policy, Research, and Medical Education. Most of them can be done with the MD/MPH program (which is now a five-year program).

Basically, to do the track program you go to lectures (generally once or twice a month during lunch) and do a research project or field experience project over the summer between first and second year. They also encourage you to take some of your elective time during fourth year to work on your chosen area, though that's not required (at least that's my understanding). The program is new this year, so I think that some of it is being worked out as they go.

If you complete the track program, they'll mention it in your dean's letter when you're applying for residency, and it gives you something to talk about during your interviews, but it doesn't change your degree in any way.

I chose not to do the program because I didn't want to be tied down to a project over the summer (I think the project has to be a minimum of ten weeks, though don't quote me on the number). I still go to most of the health policy lectures and learn from them. In general, you can get the same experience without doing the program, but the program gives you a way to formalize it into a curriculum, gets mentioned in the dean's letter, and gives you some priority for funding for summer opportunities.

Hope that helps--let me know if you have other questions about GW and I'm happy to try to answer them! :)

bjackrian said:
I'm a first-year at GW this year, so welcome to all of you who've been admitted.

Hope that helps--let me know if you have other questions about GW and I'm happy to try to answer them! :)

Thanks, that helps. What else can you say about the curriculum? Why did you choose GW?

Know anyone in the track program and like it? I guess the big test will be what kind of internships the student in the program this year

Um, the bottom line reason that I chose GW was location. I'm married and my wife was a poli sci/international relations major in college, so Washington is perfect for her, and she had a job all lined up here. I liked Washington too, and I liked the school when I visited. Washington is a very young city--lots of people in their 20s and 30s, which was very attractive for both of us. I was also impressed by the new hospital and its affiliation with Children's (I'm planning on going into pediatrics).

As for the curriculum...it's very hit and miss, at least for the first two years (I only have experience with year one, but I hear it's fairly similar in second year). There are some classes in first year where I wanted to poke my eyes out with burning scissors, and there are some where I've been absolutely enthralled. I came from a small liberal arts school that spoils its students rotten, so it was something of a transition for me coming to a place where you're not coddled.

More specifically, I've commented a bit on some of the classes we've taken. Take it with a grain of salt of course since this is all individual perception (or at least my group of friends' perception):

Gross Anatomy: It's very methodical and layed out. The two main profs give out very thorough notes and all test questions are straight from them. There's definitely a lot to know. The lab has six students assigned to a table, and we generally split into subgroups of three with each subgroup working on a different part of the body (e.g., one on arm/one on leg, one on thorax/one on abdomen, one on head/one on pelvis). The professors in lab were helpful in showing things for us. The process of dissection is largely self-taught with minimal guidance from the lab staff.

Histology: This class had two regular professors. One was very methodical with exhaustive notes, and one was less methodical but stilll got the information across. Mostly, this class was a lot of memorization, it seemed to me. The histo labs are all done on computers, and many students did not attend the actual lab sessions preferring to study on their own. You'll probably also get access to a couple of computer programs to help you study on your own.

Neuro: One of the primary professors for this class wasn't able to teach it this year, so it ended up being a little disorganized for our class. I don't know what will happen next year, but I assume with more lead time they'll be better able to find people to teach various units.

PBL: Our problem based learning sessions are small groups once a week (either Tuesday or Thursday morning). In first year, they're led by a professor and a librarian to teach us how to use medical resources. You spend three weeks on each case, receiving a little more information each week. Generally, we spend the first week doing some preliminary research and developing a differential diagnosis, the second week listening to power point presentations about various aspects of the case, and the third week tying up loose ends. I think the quality of this class varies depending on who the librarian and mediacl mentors are. The biggest complaint I've heard is that the cases move too slowly and that they aren't presented in enough detail. I've really enjoyed the class. There are also weekly PBL lectures that less than half of the class attend (they're on child development, ethics, EBM, etc.).

DPS/CAP: PBL and DPS/CAP make up the Practice of Medicine class. DPS is the physical diagnosis and interviewing class. Most of the interviewing skills are taught in the first semester and more of the physical exam in the second semester. Again, a lot depends on your group and your mentors. Fourth-year students help teach physical diagnosis and they are a fantastic resource for leaning the material and for understanding how it will be tested. By the end of the first year, you know how to do a complete physical and a complete interview.

DPS takes three out of four weeks in the fall and every other week in the spring. CAP fills in the empty spaces on off weeks. The CAP program pairs you with a doctor in the community to shadow and practice interviewing/physical diagnosis. They'll send you a preference form in the summer to try to assign you to an internist, family practice, or pediatrician physician. Almost no one got what they wanted, so there was a fair amount of shuffling when people started. If you push, you can get what you want, and several people I know even have fairly different specialties than the ones they originally offer--I know some that are with ER docs and some with sports medicine people. I ended up with a fantastic pediatrician for my CAP--the only down side is that he's almost a full hour via public transportation from school. It's really nice to see patients though--this is definitely my favorite part of first year.

Physiology: I've been really impressed with physiology. The professors have taught it in a way that makes a lot of sense to me (maybe I'm just a physio minded person, I don't know). It's a great class, at least in my book.

Biochemistry: This class is, I think, more in depth than most medical school biochemistry classes. The professor likes to emphasize very specific concepts in a lot of depth. I personally find this course really frustrating because I don't really know what I have to know, but others really like it. I think it's a personal learning style kind of thing. Certainly doable though--for me biochem is a take it, pass it, and be done with it kind of class.

Immunology: This class doesn't start till after spring break and is only two credits, so it's very brief. The professors are very enthusiastic about teaching us and being open for questions and e-mails. The first half of the course is the mechanics of immunology while the second half is all clinical applications. I like this course as well.

Overall, the curriculum is pretty good. I don't think it's the best first two years you can find, but it's certainly enough to teach you what you need to know. And everything I've heard about third and fourth year is that they're outstanding. And for me at least, third and fourth year are where it's at, y'know?

As for internships for the track program, I haven't heard anyone who wasn't able to get an internship they're interested in. Anecdotal, I know, and we'll see what they say in the fall, but it seems to be a so far so good kind of situation.

bigdreamer said:
local girl- where did you go to school?

can anyone talk about the track program. I am really interested in it, and the admissions committee makes it seem like a big deal. The thing is, I talked to one of my friends that is a first year there and has no idea what program that is. Weren't they the first class to have the program? Is anyone else interested in it?

Thanks!

I went to Punahou for HS and then Stanford for undergrad. Are you a local too?

Thanks so much for the info bjackrian! Do you or anybody else also have advice on housing for married couples?

Yea I am a SoCal girl to be exact- LA county raised and UCLA for undergrad- very excited to get out though. no car, thank god with these gas prices.

Thanks for the info bjackrian, some of it is a lil discouraging, but its real and thats what we need.

Hey guys, so I asked before but has anyone gotten financial aid packages yet? May 15 is fast approaching.....

I got mine via email yesterday...pretty depressing cause its all loans. oh well! here's to being broke!!!

prettymd05 said:
I got mine via email yesterday...pretty depressing cause its all loans. oh well! here's to being broke!!!

That's too bad about the loans. :(

I hope I get mine soon...I submitted the online app the first day it was available.

I dont' imagine I'll get any grant money either. Basically I just want to see if GW beats the aid I got from my other school. If not, I'm going to withdraw. But I've heard they give pretty bad aid, so I'm expecting a package of all loans as well.

localgirl said:
Thanks so much for the info bjackrian! Do you or anybody else also have advice on housing for married couples?

It seems like most married people live in Virginia, especially if they don't have a spouse who's doing a job that makes a lot of money. Housing right around GW is really expensive (it's expensive everywhere in DC, but much more so in Foggy Bottom). Lots of people live on the orange and blue lines in Virginia--check out the Metro website if you don't know where the various lines are.

My wife and I are an exception to that rule. We live in downtown Washington, near the Convention Center (about two blocks west of the Mt. Vernon Square Metro stop. We love our area because it's very centrally located--we can walk to any of the 5 metro lines within about six blocks, and rent is much cheaper than in Virginia or Foggy Bottom. The downside is that the neighborhood is not yet really nice (though it's rapidly getting that way), and we live on the fourth floor of a walk-up (no elevator), and we don't have parking, but for us, the money we save and the convenient location is definitely worth it.

We found our apartment through the Washington City Paper 's classifieds, and we also had some luck looking at places from Craig's List , though the Craig's List ones turned over REALLY fast (you basically had to call the first day the ad showed up. You'll also probably get several e-mails over the summer from new students looking for roommates and old students looking to find people who would like to move in to apartments they're vacating. You'll also get a first-year guide over the summer that has some more information about neighborhoods that a lot of students live in.

Hope that helps!

I was wondering when's a good time to start the apt search, if I was hoping to sign a lease starting in August.

Cubes_MD said:
I was wondering when's a good time to start the apt search, if I was hoping to sign a lease starting in August.
We flew back to look at the end of June, and that was probably a little too early. We got lucky in finding a landlord who was willing to hold off on our lease until August 1. I would say that if you come 2-4 weeks before you want to move in, that would be good, and possibly be prepared to pay for a little time before you get here, especially if you come on the earlier end.

bjackrian said:
It seems like most married people live in Virginia, especially if they don't have a spouse who's doing a job that makes a lot of money. Housing right around GW is really expensive (it's expensive everywhere in DC, but much more so in Foggy Bottom). Lots of people live on the orange and blue lines in Virginia--check out the Metro website if you don't know where the various lines are.

My wife and I are an exception to that rule. We live in downtown Washington, near the Convention Center (about two blocks west of the Mt. Vernon Square Metro stop. We love our area because it's very centrally located--we can walk to any of the 5 metro lines within about six blocks, and rent is much cheaper than in Virginia or Foggy Bottom. The downside is that the neighborhood is not yet really nice (though it's rapidly getting that way), and we live on the fourth floor of a walk-up (no elevator), and we don't have parking, but for us, the money we save and the convenient location is definitely worth it.

We found our apartment through the Washington City Paper 's classifieds, and we also had some luck looking at places from Craig's List , though the Craig's List ones turned over REALLY fast (you basically had to call the first day the ad showed up. You'll also probably get several e-mails over the summer from new students looking for roommates and old students looking to find people who would like to move in to apartments they're vacating. You'll also get a first-year guide over the summer that has some more information about neighborhoods that a lot of students live in.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again bjackrian - you are a wealth of information!

what other school you looking at foodlover?

prettymd- i saw you on a couple other threads, what made you change your mind and pick GW? and what day did you turn in your fin aide stuff?

I am just trying to see how other people made this decision, cause I am having a tough time setting it in stone

I decided to go to Loyola over GWU, so I won't be meeting any of you this fall. I hope you all have a great time at GW! I think it's a fantastic program!

bigdreamer said:
I am just trying to see how other people made this decision, cause I am having a tough time setting it in stone

what other school are you considering bigdreamer?

Albert Einstein is the only other one for sure

I am on the waitlist for Pritzker and BU, don't think I would pick BU over GW, but I would have to give Pritzker a second thought

My biggest issue is: am i stupid to choose GW over a better ranked less expensive school? I loved GW, honestly loved it. I love the idea of moving to DC and living in the heart of the city. I like how GW actively recruits diverse and unique people, I am just trying to get over myself and make it final. I get encouraged by people like prettymd that can pick a school that they love over the textbook logical choice.

bigdreamer said:

I am on the waitlist for Pritzker and BU, don't think I would pick BU over GW, but I would have to give Pritzker a second thought

My biggest issue is: am i stupid to choose GW over a better ranked less expensive school? I loved GW, honestly loved it. I love the idea of moving to DC and living in the heart of the city. I like how GW actively recruits diverse and unique people, I am just trying to get over myself and make it final. I get encouraged by people like prettymd that can pick a school that they love over the textbook logical choice.

i had the same dilemna. it's a tough decision. i'm pretty much going with my gut and i think i'll be a lot happier at GW. good luck whatever you decide! :)

bigdreamer said:

Wow..thats a really tough decision. Most would go with the cheaper/higher ranked school but honestly if you loved your experience at GW, then perhaps its worth it...have you thought about where you would want to do residency? that could also help you in choosing between DC/NY/Boston/Chicago...

bigdreamer said:

It's definitely a tough decision. I was in the same boat as you a year ago, and I do go back and forth as to whether I made the right decision. In the end, I think that I did. There are definitely advantages to going to a program that's highly ranked: you get the advantages that go along with prestige and the type of person who chooses to go to a highly ranked school has, in general, a different type of personality from the type of person who chooses to go to a lower ranked school. I'm not trying to rag on either group, but there are definite differences. There are also big advantages to going to a program you like. Your own priorities are not the same as US News, and that definitely matters.

The bottom line is that you're going to get an MD from a US medical school no matter where you go. You'll be able to become a good physician no matter where you go. I know it's a stressful decision, but on a lot of levels, either way is a good decision.

Best of luck in deciding!

Well I am sending in my check to GW today, so at least the May 15th question is answered.

We'll see if I need to make any other decisions in the future.

See you all soon!

I withdrew my other acceptances last night, so I'm officially going to GW in the fall!

hey all - i just was accepted off the top of the waitlist. i'll be attending this august for sure. i don't think there is anything about gw that i don't like. i'm so pumped!

p.s. when does orientation start?

medstylee said:
hey all - i just was accepted off the top of the waitlist. i'll be attending this august for sure. i don't think there is anything about gw that i don't like. i'm so pumped!

According to an e-mail I got last week, orientation is scheduled to start Wednesday, August 16th.

Edited to add: Congrats medstylee!

medstylee said:

Yay! Congrats medstylee and see you at orientation! (August 16 =)

Yay! I'm getting excited too!!! :luck:

Congrats on your decision, bigdreamer! And congrats on your acceptance, medstylee!

thanks guys! looks like i've got some catching up to do on this thread.

Congrats medstylee =). uh oh it's comin upppppppppp . .august 16th . . .aghhhhhh

Count me in everyone!

I got the call yesterday afternoon!! I can't believe I am actually switching forums here on SDN -- I've been in the Pre-allo forever and now I'm posting in the Allopathic... wooooooo

See you all in a few months!

Congrats dude! you ROCK! =)