GW class of 2010!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay Waitman! I love a story with a happy ending!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

i was just wondering if anyone knows anything about how often tests/exams are held at GW?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello GWU Med school incoming class of 2010.

I am a graduating senior at GWU med school.

Graduation day is on May 21st. In honor of graduating and as a way to "give back", I will attempt to answer as many questions as I can for you guys.

If you have any questions regarding the curriculum, living in DC, residency, or anything else, send me a private message and I will reply as best as possible.

Alternatively, you could post your question in this thread but it would be time consuming for me to have to read through the whole thread. Maybe I can answer your question as a pvt msg and then you can post the answer in the thread if you want.

rush2 said:
hey guys,

i was just wondering if anyone knows anything about how often tests/exams are held at GW?

thanks!
During the first semester, you'll have three blocks of tests, about a month apart (two sets of midterms and finals). Those blocks will generally have three tests within a week. In the spring, we had three blocks of tests again, though the tests are a little more spread out (e.g. the tests are a week apart, so the blocks overlap a little more). I'm only a first year, but my understanding is that second year exams area a little bit more spread out. If you want to check out the schedule that we had, you can look here.

Wow, can't believe th 15th is here! Any new add ons to this thread?

So when do you guys think would be a good time to get there to find an Apt and get settled before orientation?

Anyone planning on living in Dupont?

bjackrian said:
During the first semester, you'll have three blocks of tests, about a month apart (two sets of midterms and finals). Those blocks will generally have three tests within a week. In the spring, we had three blocks of tests again, though the tests are a little more spread out (e.g. the tests are a week apart, so the blocks overlap a little more). I'm only a first year, but my understanding is that second year exams area a little bit more spread out. If you want to check out the schedule that we had, you can look here.

thanks!!! all of your posts have been super helpful.... so thanks for all of the insight that you've provided!!

rush2 said:
hey guys,

thanks!

First semester First year = 3 test blocks
Second semester First year = 4(or 3) biochem tests, 3 physio tests, 2 immuno tests, pretty much randomly arranges except for finals week
First semester Second year = pretty much a test every week - it's a little grueling
Second semester Second year = One test per month - except finals week

Oh and good luck to all those waiting to get in! GW is a dream come true for me!
(ok that's a little much but I do like it!)

Oh and Congratulations to everyone who is coming into the class of 2010!!!!

If you need anything, like hugs, or chocolate, you can always come to big sister Brickhouse, I'm a third year!! (haha I love saying that)

I've received a ton of questions already. Keep them coming, I will keep this screen name active during this week, after that will I will probably log in only infrequently. Some current GW Med students have sent me questions as well which is ok.

>Hello GWU Med school incoming class of 2010
>
>I am a graduating senior at GWU med school.
>
>Graduation day is on May 21st. In honor of graduating and as a way >to "give back", I will attempt to answer as many questions as I can for you >guys.
>
>If you have any questions regarding the curriculum, living in DC, residency >match, or anything else, send me a private message and I will reply as best >as possible.
>
>Alternatively, you could post your question in this thread but it would be >time consuming for me to have to read through the whole thread. Maybe I >can answer your question as a pvt msg and then you can post the answer >in the thread if you want.

Brickhouse said:
Oh and Congratulations to everyone who is coming into the class of 2010!!!!

If you need anything, like hugs, or chocolate, you can always come to big sister Brickhouse, I'm a third year!! (haha I love saying that)

congrats on finishing another yr :)

gwu2006md said:
I've received a ton of questions already.

Hi guys, can you post the responses on the forum when you the chance? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know what kind of stuff goes on during orientation? do you remember what you guys did during yours, big sister brickhouse?

MD Rapper said:
I've been trying to coordinate some plans with my family... can anyone currently attending GW tell me how well-attended the white coat ceremony is by family members? I'm basically wondering if they should stick around or not... :confused:
It was fairly well attended by families--I think that at least half of the people had someone there, and possibly even more than that.

medstylee said:
anyone know what kind of stuff goes on during orientation? do you remember what you guys did during yours, big sister brickhouse?
There are some general orientation activties (i.e., where things are, how to use the library, etc.), some team-building things, some special interest events, a mini-clinical case study, some speeches by deans and other Important People, the white coat ceremony, etc. I'm not usually a big fan of orientations, but I had a pretty good time at ours.

MD Rapper said:
I've been trying to coordinate some plans with my family... can anyone currently attending GW tell me how well-attended the white coat ceremony is by family members? I'm basically wondering if they should stick around or not... :confused:

Shoot, everyone in my family is going to attend.

does anyone know what transitional and preliminary mean on a match list? been trying to figure it out but to no avail.

thanks.

MD Rapper said:

I think it's a pretty big deal - the people who didn't have family/friends around felt a little left out and I was definitely happy to have mom and best friend there to witness my big moment - first of many.

bjackrian said:
It was fairly well attended by families--I think that at least half of the people had someone there, and possibly even more than that.

There are some general orientation activties (i.e., where things are, how to use the library, etc.), some team-building things, some special interest events, a mini-clinical case study, some speeches by deans and other Important People, the white coat ceremony, etc. I'm not usually a big fan of orientations, but I had a pretty good time at ours.

You forgot community service day dammit - that's the part I coordinated.

Transitional and preliminary years are PGY-1 years (ie. intern years) that are required to be completed before many residencies like: Emergency Medicine, Optho, Derm, Rads, Anesthesia, Rad Onc.

In other cases, people do prelim years if were not able to match to their desired speciality and then try to match again the following. Generally that is not the case with US graduates because foreign graduates are more likely to be the ones to take the risk of only matching to, or accepting, one year of training. This is even more an issue now because of complicated residency funding issues as regulated by the govt.

You don't do both. You either do a prelim year or a transitional year. Generally anesthesia, rads, anesthesia, EM, rad onc do prelim years, whereas optho people do transitional years. However, that is not a set rule and it really depends on the individual programs.

Transitional year is almost similar to 3rd year of med school in that you couple month or two in each major medical discipline (ie. IM, surgery, ICU, EM, etc) and there are usually a couple months of elective time as well. You function at the intern level obviously.

Prelim years can be either medicine prelim years or surgery prelim years. As a medicine prelim, you are a medicine intern. As a surgery prelim, you are a surgery intern. After the year is completed, you move on to your speciality.

Anesthesia people usually do either a medicine prelim year or a surgery prelim year. Other programs do not give you an option and tell you which one to do.

Keep in mind surgery interns do not operate, so in many ways medicine interns and surgery interns are the same. However, medicine prelim year is where most people would learn more because surgery interns mostly manage the surgery floor where the patients are on pretty much standardized post-operation routines (except for ICU and EMED months). Both would be rigorous in terms of work hours and call schedules, that applies to interns across the board unless you are at some cush program.

Just wanted to send a quick hello to everyone. =)

I just got in off the waitlist today and have 24 hours to make a decision. I'm from Long Island and went to Barnard College in NYC (graduated yesterday and today! yay!) and I'm so absolutely undecided right now. Anyone want to make my decision for me? Heehee.

thisyearsgirl said:
Just wanted to send a quick hello to everyone. =)

I just got in off the waitlist today and have 24 hours to make a decision. I'm from Long Island and went to Barnard College in NYC (graduated yesterday and today! yay!) and I'm so absolutely undecided right now. Anyone want to make my decision for me? Heehee.

come to Gw and we'll party!

gwu2006md said:
Keep in mind surgery interns do not operate, so in many ways medicine interns and surgery interns are the same.

what?....but....you mean Grey's Anatomy isn't real ????

Brickhouse said:
what?....but....you mean Grey's Anatomy isn't real ????

As you already know, most students find out pretty quick what reality is like.

At university hospitals or academic residency programs, surgery interns rarely do more than a third year or fourth year med student would at that hospital. Basically that means that if no med student is present, then the intern might be asked to scrub in as the second assist.

It is extremely rare for a surgery intern to be a first assist on any involved case. Maybe he/she might be allowed to be "first assist" on an appendectomy case, but those are pretty much one man cases anyway and an assist is more courtesy than necessity.

I have heard some occasional stories about surgery interns doing slightly little more at community programs as the environment is a little more relaxed, but I would say that it is probably not the norm even at community programs.

Regardless of where you are, it's safe to say that a surgery intern won't be anastamosing intestine.

It is not because they are physically incapable of doing it if taught how to do it, (after all, no one walks into residency already knowing how to operate, with the notable exception of foreign practicing docs), rather the issue is that they need to first learn how to manage the pre-op and post-op patients, pay their dues in the ICU, ER, the floors, etc.

gwu2006md said:
As you already know, most students find out pretty quick what reality is like.

At university hospitals or academic residency programs, surgery interns rarely do more than a third year or fourth year med student would at that hospital. Basically that means that if no med student is present, then the intern might be asked to scrub in as the second assist.

It is extremely rare for a surgery intern to be a first assist on any involved case. Maybe he/she might be allowed to be "first assist" on an appendectomy case, but those are pretty much one man cases anyway and an assist is more courtesy than necessity.

I have heard some occasional stories about surgery interns doing slightly little more at community programs as the environment is a little more relaxed, but I would say that it is probably not the norm even at community programs.

Regardless of where you are, it's safe to say that a surgery intern won't be anastamosing intestine.

It is not because they are physically incapable of doing it if taught how to do it, (after all, no one walks into residency already knowing how to operate, with the notable exception of foreign practicing docs), rather the issue is that they need to first learn how to manage the pre-op and post-op patients, pay their dues in the ICU, ER, the floors, etc.

Oh I see....they must've added humor into our POMI curriculum after you'd already taken it...well....you missed a great lecture....Depalma is one funny mother f***er.

Congrats on graduation. I came this close to having to sing the National Anthem at your ceremony.

gwu2006md said:
Transitional and preliminary years are PGY-1 years (ie. intern years) that are required to be completed before many residencies like: Emergency Medicine, Optho, Derm, Rads, Anesthesia, Rad Onc.

In other cases, people do prelim years if were not able to match to their desired speciality and then try to match again the following. Generally that is not the case with US graduates because foreign graduates are more likely to be the ones to take the risk of only matching to, or accepting, one year of training. This is even more an issue now because of complicated residency funding issues as regulated by the govt.

You don't do both. You either do a prelim year or a transitional year. Generally anesthesia, rads, anesthesia, EM, rad onc do prelim years, whereas optho people do transitional years. However, that is not a set rule and it really depends on the individual programs.

Transitional year is almost similar to 3rd year of med school in that you couple month or two in each major medical discipline (ie. IM, surgery, ICU, EM, etc) and there are usually a couple months of elective time as well. You function at the intern level obviously.

Prelim years can be either medicine prelim years or surgery prelim years. As a medicine prelim, you are a medicine intern. As a surgery prelim, you are a surgery intern. After the year is completed, you move on to your speciality.

Anesthesia people usually do either a medicine prelim year or a surgery prelim year. Other programs do not give you an option and tell you which one to do.

Keep in mind surgery interns do not operate, so in many ways medicine interns and surgery interns are the same. However, medicine prelim year is where most people would learn more because surgery interns mostly manage the surgery floor where the patients are on pretty much standardized post-operation routines (except for ICU and EMED months). Both would be rigorous in terms of work hours and call schedules, that applies to interns across the board unless you are at some cush program.

awesome. thank you for the very thorough answer.

prettymd05 said:
Shoot, everyone in my family is going to attend.

It's definately nice to have your family there. I think I had 7 family members there, which was a little ridiculus, but they all live around here so it was hard to tell them no. So they came, took some of those nice embarassing pictures of me in the white coat and then we went out to dinner. :D

Hey guys,

I had posted this in the pre-allopathic forum. Any help will be appreciated.

I was looking at the class schedule for MS1 for the fall semester. It seems like there is a lot of class time involved. Basically, you are in class from 8-4 pm everyday with only an hour break and one afternoon/morning off during the week. I was wondering what you guys thought about this. Is the schedule of similar format second semester MS1 year? What is the schedule like for MS2 year? If anyone could post some info regarding this, I will appreciate it. Anyone who is currently attending GW school of medicine, could you let me know how you felt about the heavy class time that is involved. Also, I wanted to find out how much a one bedroom/two bedroom apartments cost in the foggy bottom area. Please let me know.

thanks,
-ishqbina

ishqbina said:
Hey guys,

I had posted this in the pre-allopathic forum. Any help will be appreciated.

I was looking at the class schedule for MS1 for the fall semester. It seems like there is a lot of class time involved. Basically, you are in class from 8-4 pm everyday with only an hour break and one afternoon/morning off during the week. I was wondering what you guys thought about this. Is the schedule of similar format second semester MS1 year? What is the schedule like for MS2 year? If anyone could post some info regarding this, I will appreciate it. Anyone who is currently attending GW school of medicine, could you let me know how you felt about the heavy class time that is involved. Also, I wanted to find out how much a one bedroom/two bedroom apartments cost in the foggy bottom area. Please let me know.

thanks,
-ishqbina

I posted a whole big long post answering the schedule question - does anyone know where it is? I couldn't find it -

in brief - sometimes it is a lot of class but you don't have to go - a lot of people just read the lecture notes or listen to them online - 2nd semester of first year is totally different from what's posted on the schedule - it's like 8:30 to 10:30 or 11 and then 2-3:30 ish MWF - most weeks you have half a day off Tues and/or Thurs....oh yeah and you don't have to go to gross lab every time - skip a few sessions and get done at 3. second year you get most Friday afternoons off....etc. etc.

Places in foggy bottom are expensive - check out surrounding areas - like arlington

I'm usually more fun than this but I've been studying for the boards for the last....oh...57 or so hours - straight.

Random question...but does anyone know if there are and what type of banks/atms on campus. Also, what are some of the nearest banks around.
I really want to open a new account somewhere and just wanted something with a convenient location to school.

BrookMD said:
Random question...but does anyone know if there are and what type of banks/atms on campus. Also, what are some of the nearest banks around.
I really want to open a new account somewhere and just wanted something with a convenient location to school.

I am not sure if there is actually one on campus, but there are Wachovia's really close. Here's a map with them: Wachovia 20037

There are also M and T Banks sort of close to campus (like 5 blocks). Here's a map with those: M and T Bank 20037

Those are the 2 banks I have accounts with (long story why 2). Hope this helps some. Both of these banks have free checking. If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Hey guys,

I wanted to find out if being at GW medical school, is having a car a necessity? What are some nice places around foggy bottom that are reasonable to live in? Also, is walking the best way to get to campus or will I have to take the metro everyday if I live a little far away from foggy bottom?
Please let me know.

Thanks,
-ishqbina

waitman192 said:
I am not sure if there is actually one on campus, but there are Wachovia's really close. Here's a map with them: Wachovia 20037

There are also M and T Banks sort of close to campus (like 5 blocks). Here's a map with those: M and T Bank 20037

Those are the 2 banks I have accounts with (long story why 2). Hope this helps some. Both of these banks have free checking. If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Thanks Waitman192!!

hey gwu2006 or Brickhouse,
do gw students take shelf exams for path or phys?

Vizsla said:
hey gwu2006 or Brickhouse,
do gw students take shelf exams for path or phys?

yes for path - but the grade we get is curved to the class average. I'm still waiting for my results. :mad:

BrookMD said:
There's also a Bank of America ATM in the Academic Center building on the undergrad campus, one block down I street from the med school/hospital.

ishqbina said:
Hey guys,

I wanted to find out if being at GW medical school, is having a car a necessity? What are some nice places around foggy bottom that are reasonable to live in? Also, is walking the best way to get to campus or will I have to take the metro everyday if I live a little far away from foggy bottom?
Please let me know.

Thanks,
-ishqbina

i'm also interested in what you current students have to say about this too. i think, in my case, my options would be either a) to live in arlington and have a car, or b) to not have a car and live in a more expensive, more convenient place in the foggy bottom area. any suggestions? and, if living in the foggy bottom area, would you say a car is pretty much unnecessary?

thanks again. :thumbup:

I am copying and pasting a reply that I sent to someone else. Here is my take on the whole car issue...

Having a car for years 1 and 2 is definitely not necessary, especially if you live in the foggy bottom area. It is extremely valuable to live within walking distance of school because you can use the library at any time and you save the significant added expense of having a car, insurance, gas, parking space. Parking in DC is usually costly, anymore from $125-175 per month.

The next best option is to live near a metro stop in Virginia. There are many apartment buildings near the numerous metro stops on the Orange Line in Virgnia. Those are convenient. You would save a little bit on rent, but then you would pay approximately $5/day on metro fare roundtrip every day so in the end is probably not much cheaper to live in virginia and take the metro everyday.

In general, the only people who have cars in years 1 and 2 are those who dont live within walking, metro, or bike distance of campus, or those who already have cars and decide to bring them. Often, people with families will live a bit farther out in virginia to get a larger place and they will have to drive at least to the metro parking and then take the metro into DC. GWU is extremely accessible via metro as you noticed when you came to interview.

You can also live in DC in places that are metro accessible, but the problem is that as soon as you start to leave Northwest DC, some of the areas can become unsafe but it is an option. My take on that would be that if you do have to take the metro and not live in foggy bottom, then why not live in Virgnia and take the metro rather than live in DC and take the metro.

Those who do have a car park in the university administered parking garage which is approximately $160 per month. That is pretty much a going rate and there is no free student parking despite our classes' efforts to try and get that changed.

For years 3 and 4, you defintely need a car. You will do rotations at GW Hospital, Inova Fairfax Hospital (Falls Church, Virgnia), Holy Cross Hospital (Silver Spring, MD), Childrens National Medical Center Washington Hospital Center, Washington VA hospitals, and maybe even some outpatient private offices. There is no getting around the necessity of a car for years 3 and 4. To keep a car during yrs 3 and 4, you have to either park on the street which can be challenging at times to find a spot, or use the university garage or your apartment building garage. All of those range between $125-175/month. You dont want to use metered parking because that would be close to $20/day.

To park on the street in DC, your car must be registered in DC and you must have proof of DC resident status (like an apt lease), and then you get a city zone parking sticker for $10. If you try to obtain a parking permit with out of town registration, it is approximately $270-300 per year to get that same permit. However, having the permit does not guarantee a street parking spot, and you still have to search for one every time. Also, remember to register a car in DC I think that you would have to get a DC driver's license and obviously you would pay DC insurance rates too. The only other way to get around it is if you car is registered in MD or VA and you have proof of student status. There might be a concession on parking sticker price in that case.

If you do not already own a car, I would suggest finding a place in the foggy bottom area and dont worry about getting a car. Get a car when it is time for years 3 and 4.

For your POM clinical apprenticeship durings years 1 and 2, you fill out a preferences form during orientation and if you write that you dont have a car, you will given a preceptor office that is metro accessible or within walking distance of campus.

No need for car during yr 1 and 2 especially if you live close by, but defiinitely need a car for year 3 and 4 no matter what.

If cost isn't an issue, then go crazy and bring the nice BMW 7-series to DC with you.

gwu2006md said:
I am copying and pasting a reply that I sent to someone else. Here is my take on the whole car issue...

Having a car for years 1 and 2 is definitely not necessary, especially if you live in the foggy bottom area. It is extremely valuable to live within walking distance of school because you can use the library at any time and you save the significant added expense of having a car, insurance, gas, parking space. Parking in DC is usually costly, anymore from $125-175 per month.

The next best option is to live near a metro stop in Virginia. There are many apartment buildings near the numerous metro stops on the Orange Line in Virgnia. Those are convenient. You would save a little bit on rent, but then you would pay approximately $5/day on metro fare roundtrip every day so in the end is probably not much cheaper to live in virginia and take the metro everyday.

In general, the only people who have cars in years 1 and 2 are those who dont live within walking, metro, or bike distance of campus, or those who already have cars and decide to bring them. Often, people with families will live a bit farther out in virginia to get a larger place and they will have to drive at least to the metro parking and then take the metro into DC. GWU is extremely accessible via metro as you noticed when you came to interview.

You can also live in DC in places that are metro accessible, but the problem is that as soon as you start to leave Northwest DC, some of the areas can become unsafe but it is an option. My take on that would be that if you do have to take the metro and not live in foggy bottom, then why not live in Virgnia and take the metro rather than live in DC and take the metro.

Those who do have a car park in the university administered parking garage which is approximately $160 per month. That is pretty much a going rate and there is no free student parking despite our classes' efforts to try and get that changed.

For years 3 and 4, you defintely need a car. You will do rotations at GW Hospital, Inova Fairfax Hospital (Falls Church, Virgnia), Holy Cross Hospital (Silver Spring, MD), Childrens National Medical Center Washington Hospital Center, Washington VA hospitals, and maybe even some outpatient private offices. There is no getting around the necessity of a car for years 3 and 4. To keep a car during yrs 3 and 4, you have to either park on the street which can be challenging at times to find a spot, or use the university garage or your apartment building garage. All of those range between $125-175/month. You dont want to use metered parking because that would be close to $20/day.

To park on the street in DC, your car must be registered in DC and you must have proof of DC resident status (like an apt lease), and then you get a city zone parking sticker for $10. If you try to obtain a parking permit with out of town registration, it is approximately $270-300 per year to get that same permit. However, having the permit does not guarantee a street parking spot, and you still have to search for one every time. Also, remember to register a car in DC I think that you would have to get a DC driver's license and obviously you would pay DC insurance rates too. The only other way to get around it is if you car is registered in MD or VA and you have proof of student status. There might be a concession on parking sticker price in that case.

If you do not already own a car, I would suggest finding a place in the foggy bottom area and dont worry about getting a car. Get a car when it is time for years 3 and 4.

For your POM clinical apprenticeship durings years 1 and 2, you fill out a preferences form during orientation and if you write that you dont have a car, you will given a preceptor office that is metro accessible or within walking distance of campus.

No need for car during yr 1 and 2 especially if you live close by, but defiinitely need a car for year 3 and 4 no matter what.

If cost isn't an issue, then go crazy and bring the nice BMW 7-series to DC with you.

I am not sure if you will still be able to answer questions but anyone from the gw family, if you can, that would be great.

With the car issue, I definitely do not have one right now and I am planning on living within walking distance from GW. However, how does one go about getting financial aid for the car? Do students just take out extra uncertified loans in order to get a car?

prettymd05 said:
I am not sure if you will still be able to answer questions but anyone from the gw family, if you can, that would be great.

With the car issue, I definitely do not have one right now and I am planning on living within walking distance from GW. However, how does one go about getting financial aid for the car? Do students just take out extra uncertified loans in order to get a car?

My friend was just in this position - she had to take out private loans from BofA. Wait til your third year though.

Hi everyone! Since we're on the car issue - I was wondering how likely it is to find an apt in the area near GW or in Dupont Circle that actually provides a parking space. If your apt doesn't have a parking space, is street parking a viable option?

localgirl said:
Hi everyone! Since we're on the car issue - I was wondering how likely it is to find an apt in the area near GW or in Dupont Circle that actually provides a parking space. If your apt doesn't have a parking space, is street parking a viable option?

Most apartment buildings have basement parking garages. You usually have to pay an additional amount of money every month to rent one of those spots. There are other apartment buildings in which all of the apartments are privately owned. If that is the case, then if you go to rent someone's privately owned apartment then one parking spot will often be included. Apartments in converted townhouses often dont have any off-street parking, especially right in Foggy Bottom. Street parking is a possible option but you need a DC residential parking sticker and those cost $270-300/year if you are a non-resident with proof of student status or $10/yr for a DC registered car. Street parking is possible but sometimes it can become frustrating trying to find a spot, especially at certain times of the day. In cetain sections of the city , street parking is not entirely safe and with break ins happening. That is an issue in Southwest, Southeast, but generally most parts of Northwest and Foggy Bottom are safe. If you are a 1st or 2nd year student, then street side parking in Foggy Bottom is an option because your schedule is flexible and you wont use your car daily. As a busy and tired 3rd/4th year student, you dont want to be searching around for a spot.

Thanks for the info gw2006md! I'll probably try to get an apt with garage parking - I think it would be worth it even if it's a little extra money.

Our graduation was yesterday and now I'm taking off. I will not be actively checking these threads, but I will try to check the private messages once in a while if possible. Hopefully I answered some of your questions.

Remember, after you guys become students at GW and progress through the years, make sure to give good advice to all the students who are following behind you. Check these threads and take some time to answer questions. If information exchange happens properly, then year after year GWU med students will continue to get better and better.

If you have suggestions on how to make the med school better or expand its horizens, let the deans know when they ask you. The classes that have come before you have done their best to make as many improvements as possible to make the experience as good as possible for future students like you.

In the long run, GWU med school's success is good for everyone, past, present, and future GW med students.

When you show up to start med school, take things as they come and just worry about one semester at a time. Thinking about 4 rigorous years can seem overwhelming. Enjoy the good times, ride out the tough times, you will make it through med school. Good luck to everyone.

gwu2006md said:
Our graduation was yesterday and now I'm taking off. I will not be actively checking these threads, but I will try to check the private messages once in a while if possible. Hopefully I answered some of your questions.

Remember, after you guys become students at GW and progress through the years, make sure to give good advice to all the students who are following behind you. Check these threads and take some time to answer questions. If information exchange happens properly, then year after year GWU med students will continue to get better and better.

If you have suggestions on how to make the med school better or expand its horizens, let the deans know when they ask you. The classes that have come before you have done their best to make as many improvements as possible to make the experience as good as possible for future students like you.

In the long run, GWU med school's success is good for everyone, past, present, and future GW med students.

When you show up to start med school, take things as they come and just worry about one semester at a time. Thinking about 4 rigorous years can seem overwhelming. Enjoy the good times, ride out the tough times, you will make it through med school. Good luck to everyone.

Thanks for all the advice!! It's always cool to hear people who are on the other side, so to speak...

Congrats to you and go have some fun until your residency starts... you earned it!!!

-waitman