Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention (updated for 2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I
I think that you have a very compelling story and can land some MD II even outside of TX.
Thank you, however I am not located in TX. My home state is NY. Any school list you can recommend etc??

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you, however I am not located in TX. My home state is NY. Any school list you can recommend etc??
Columbia
Case
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Einstein (maybe)
Morehouse
Howard
Meharry
Temple
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
U VM
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU
ALL SUNYs
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NovaMD
NYU.LI
NOTE: as a reinventor, you need DO schools on your list. Any DO school. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if possible.

You would be competitive for any DO schools, and many of the TX schools. UTxSW interviewed one of my SMP a few years ago

In my situation, since my GPA is the main problem, would it be okay to apply while attending the SMP that way I don't have to take a gap year before med school? My main concern is that it wouldn't be until later in the cycle that my spring semester's grades are out.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my situation, since my GPA is the main problem, would it be okay to apply while attending the SMP that way I don't have to take a gap year before med school? My main concern is that it wouldn't be until later in the cycle that my spring semester's grades are out.
I've seen it work with people who are applying to schools. It won't work for MD. Overall you need to show that you could handle medical school, and merely being in the special Masters program isn't enough for MD adcoms.

Reactions: 1 user
Remember reading your guide in 2019 when I was certain med school was out of the picture for me, and then this guide again in 2021 while I was going through my reinvention. Sitting on 2 MD As, 1 MD WL, 1 pending MD decision, and 4 DO IIs.

Thank you so much @Goro I appreciate all the work you have put into this field for people like me!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Remember reading your guide in 2019 when I was certain med school was out of the picture for me, and then this guide again in 2021 while I was going through my reinvention. Sitting on 2 MD As, 1 MD WL, 1 pending MD decision, and 4 DO IIs.

Thank you so much @Goro I appreciate all the work you have put into this field for people like me!!
:love::love::love::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::luck::luck::luck::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::hardy::hardy::hardy::clap::clap::clap::claps::claps::claps::woot::woot::woot::biglove::biglove::biglove::banana::banana::banana::=|:-)::welcome:

• Care
Hello @Goro ,

I followed your amazing reinvention guide and I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on my current situation. My cgpa/sgpa are both 3.3~3.4 with postbacc grades included. My postbacc grades are 3.74 with 80+ credits. My MCAT is 500,510,524 over the last 5 years. The problem is my SMP which will end with 3.4 GPA... I think the reason I did poorly was because of health and financial issues in my family but I am not sure if the admission committee will care. Realistically, I think I have a very strong chance at DO but I was wondering of your opinion on my chances in MD.

Thank you

Hello @Goro ,

I followed your amazing reinvention guide and I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on my current situation. My cgpa/sgpa are both 3.3~3.4 with postbacc grades included. My postbacc grades are 3.74 with 80+ credits. My MCAT is 500,510,524 over the last 5 years. The problem is my SMP which will end with 3.4 GPA... I think the reason I did poorly was because of health and financial issues in my family but I am not sure if the admission committee will care. Realistically, I think I have a very strong chance at DO but I was wondering of your opinion on my chances in MD.

Thank you
Hey,
I know that you didn't ask me, but a lot of people are going to wonder what your problem with D.O. is. If you get a D.O. acceptance, take it and run all the way with it.

Also, per rule 42 all D.O. residencies are ACGME residencies as of 2013, I believe. That's all that counts in the end. It's a little known fact ;)

Hello @Goro ,

Thank you
The 3.4 SMP will hurt for MD. Why didn't you take an LOA?
Chances for MD best with your state MD school.

Apply braodly to DO schools.