WAMC/School List/Non-Trad Reinvention Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jstkeepswimming

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some advice on my chances and what else I can do to improve. I am a California resident and an ORM. I am reposting as I secured a new job and am looking for more opinions.

GPA: GPA/Hours (this is my BCPM gpa, my everything else included cgpa is very close to this one, 3.04).
1705275473318.png

A little background: I was just an unfocused student and a majority of my bad grades are from community college (almost 10 years ago now). I started turning it around in senior year at my state school (a UC) and then maintained a 4.0 during my 60 credit hour post-bacc (upper division science classes only).

MCAT:
My first attempt in 2022 was a 509 (126/128/127/128)
Second attempt in 2023 was a 513 (127/126/131/129)
Legitimately considering retaking because I was scoring 517+ on my practice exams, and I feel I can do much better.

Non-clinical volunteering:
- Big Brothers/Sisters of America since 2019 (mentoring a child from a rough background) ~ should have roughly 700+ hours by the time the 2024 app cycle rolls around
- School on Wheels (weekly tutoring of disadvantaged children) - should have ~ 50 hours by June 2024
- Homeless shelter volunteer - haven't officially started this yet but anticipating ~ 100 hours by June 2024

Clinical:
Health Scholar at local hospital (similar to MA) ~ 180 hours
Research assistant for my alma mater's SOM where we worked on opening a free clinic ~ 120 hours (poster pub)
NEW: I started a full time scribe job and should have 500+ hours by the time the application cycle opens in June of 2024

Other Hobbies:
- Piano since age 17
- Gardening for a few years now
- Big on reading

I have 3 great science professors who wrote me letters in my previous cycle and will do it again. I also have a letter from my supervisor from Big Brothers/Sisters. I should be able to get a letter from the doctor I am currently working with as well. I feel foolish applying previously. I think that was a mistake and I should have waited until I scored higher on the MCAT, but it is what it is. I am hoping to go MD so trying to maximize my chances there (nothing against DO).

I'm looking to get advice on my application and what parts should I work to improve. Is retaking the MCAT a good idea/necessary? Should I delay my application another year so I can have more on my resume? I was also looking into doing a MPH starting this summer (out of personal interest mostly). The program would end summer 2025 so in theory I can finish before matriculating if I applied this year.

I appreciate all the help and insights! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome back!

Your oldest thread

If my calculations are correct you have only taken 15 hours of postbac coursework (great job with the A's). What courses did you take?

Swallow your pride and apply DO unless you love to take the chance at another failed cycle. You don't need to retake the MCAT, and taking it a third time won't really help you since many schools average MCAT attempts for screening (so you're at 511). If you can do better than 521, then go for it, knowing that you should treat your MCAT average as the calling card to your application.

Give me your reason why a school should interview you this summer/fall. You talk about future plans to get you to that reason, and that will only motivate some schools to push your application to the "wait until next year" pile.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome back!

Your oldest thread

If my calculations are correct you have only taken 15 hours of postbac coursework (great job with the A's). What courses did you take?

Swallow your pride and apply DO unless you love to take the chance at another failed cycle. You don't need to retake the MCAT, and taking it a third time won't really help you since many schools average MCAT attempts for screening (so you're at 511). If you can do better than 521, then go for it, knowing that you should treat your MCAT average as the calling card to your application.

Give me your reason why a school should interview you this summer/fall. You talk about future plans to get you to that reason, and that will only motivate some schools to push your application to the "wait until next year" pile.
I took 60 credit hours of post bacc courses - and took classes like anatomy/physiology, medical microbiology, human biochemistry, parasitology, immunology, human genetics, genomics/bioinformatics, neuroanatomy, and a couple upper division biochemistry courses (this is not a comprehensive list but just trying to give you an idea of what I have taken).

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 60 credit hours of post bacc courses - and took classes like anatomy/physiology, medical microbiology, human biochemistry, parasitology, immunology, human genetics, genomics/bioinformatics, neuroanatomy, and a couple upper division biochemistry courses (this is not a comprehensive list but just trying to give you an idea of what I have taken).
So the right column is semester hours not quality points? I missed that. Thanks.

Did we go over discussion of retroactive withdrawals?

So the right column is semester hours not quality points? I missed that. Thanks.

Did we go over discussion of retroactive withdrawals?
Yes they are hours! Sorry about the confusion. I’ve heard about retroactive withdrawals but don’t know what to do or where to begin, can you share more information?