Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention (updated for 2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took anatomy in the fall of 2019 and got a D. I re-took anatomy in the spring of 2020 and got a B since half of the class was online (covid). I then completely switched my major. I graduated and moved back home. At my hometown, most of the colleges here offer Anatomy & Physiology 1 or Anatomy & Physiology 2. There is one university here (with a medical school) that offers physiology. I work a 8-5 job that conflicts with physiology's morning classes. To take physiology at the university I would wait until spring 2025 so I could quit my job and be a full-time student again. I am okay with waiting.

Would it look bad to take the anatomy & physiology sequence (night/weekend classes) at a community college after already taking anatomy twice? My grades are really bad, below a 3.0 gpa for both cgpa and sgpa, I could use the A's from cc. Does taking physiology at a university with a medical school matter as much as getting 2 A's from a community college? Thank you so much for your time!

Go the CC route. Medical schools wont care and frankly if your grades are that bad (without more context of how your trend has been) I would steer clear of taking classes with medical students.

Just take the CC classes and easy A's to help with grade reinvention.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I took anatomy in the fall of 2019 and got a D. I re-took anatomy in the spring of 2020 and got a B since half of the class was online (covid). I then completely switched my major. I graduated and moved back home. At my hometown, most of the colleges here offer Anatomy & Physiology 1 or Anatomy & Physiology 2. There is one university here (with a medical school) that offers physiology. I work a 8-5 job that conflicts with physiology's morning classes. To take physiology at the university I would wait until spring 2025 so I could quit my job and be a full-time student again. I am okay with waiting.

Would it look bad to take the anatomy & physiology sequence (night/weekend classes) at a community college after already taking anatomy twice? My grades are really bad, below a 3.0 gpa for both cgpa and sgpa, I could use the A's from cc. Does taking physiology at a university with a medical school matter as much as getting 2 A's from a community college? Thank you so much for your time!
I can't recommend retaking it. Do better in other upper level science courses. Your entire app is what counts, not a single course performance.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I can't recommend retaking it. Do better in other upper level science courses. Your entire app is what counts, not a single course performance.
Would this be technically a different course altogether, since this would be Anatomy and Physiology instead of just Anatomy?

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro In the past two years i have started worked on reinvention with the intention to go to medical school.

Thus far I have retaken my basic courses such as Biology 1, Chemistry 1 and 2, and Biochemistry 1 and made an A in each of these courses. I currently hold a grade of B in Physics 1, A grade of A in Physics 2, a grade of B in organic chemistry, A grade of C in genetics, An A in human physiology, A B in Immunology, A grade of B in Parasitology, A grade of A in Virology, A grade of an B in Medical microbiology (An A in the lab portion), A grade of an A in Bioinformatics, A grade of C in Cellular Biology. I also took Astronomy 1 and 2 (as a filler science course) and made As in both of those. I'm currently enrolled in a Histology course.

Basically, in shorter words, i retook courses and finished a few new courses with decent grades, but I'm not sure of what to do next. I graduate with a double major in Microbiology and Biology this year (2024), but when i input my grades into the grade calculator through a GPA calculator (i think its actually medicalschoolhq or something like that, that i found from a forum saying it aligns with AMCAS GPA calculations). According to this, my overall GPA is around a 2.7 and my science GPA is a 2.8. Assuming this is completely correct How do overcome this/ continue to reinvent myself?

Do i take more courses to keep boosting it up? i know if i take another year of courses with similar success i could almost be at a 3.0 (Assuming i took around 10 classes in the year and summer courses as well, but I'm not sure if this is the right route? Would it be better to take the year and take more courses then do a SMP or do i try to do an SMP right after graduation? I don't mind doing a marathon but i'm just not sure of what to do now. How do i reinvent myself?

As far as volunteering i have 1000 hours currently both in my local hospitals and for a company working with children who are economically disadvantaged, worked a year at a medical scribe, and took a research course at school, if that even matters. Lastly, my MCAT score is a 514.

@Goro In the past two years i have started worked on reinvention with the intention to go to medical school.

Thus far I have retaken my basic courses such as Biology 1, Chemistry 1 and 2, and Biochemistry 1 and made an A in each of these courses. I currently hold a grade of B in Physics 1, A grade of A in Physics 2, a grade of B in organic chemistry, A grade of C in genetics, An A in human physiology, A B in Immunology, A grade of B in Parasitology, A grade of A in Virology, A grade of an B in Medical microbiology (An A in the lab portion), A grade of an A in Bioinformatics, A grade of C in Cellular Biology. I also took Astronomy 1 and 2 (as a filler science course) and made As in both of those. I'm currently enrolled in a Histology course.

Basically, in shorter words, i retook courses and finished a few new courses with decent grades, but I'm not sure of what to do next. I graduate with a double major in Microbiology and Biology this year (2024), but when i input my grades into the grade calculator through a GPA calculator (i think its actually medicalschoolhq or something like that, that i found from a forum saying it aligns with AMCAS GPA calculations). According to this, my overall GPA is around a 2.7 and my science GPA is a 2.8. Assuming this is completely correct How do overcome this/ continue to reinvent myself?

Do i take more courses to keep boosting it up? i know if i take another year of courses with similar success i could almost be at a 3.0 (Assuming i took around 10 classes in the year and summer courses as well, but I'm not sure if this is the right route? Would it be better to take the year and take more courses then do a SMP or do i try to do an SMP right after graduation? I don't mind doing a marathon but i'm just not sure of what to do now. How do i reinvent myself?

As far as volunteering i have 1000 hours currently both in my local hospitals and for a company working with children who are economically disadvantaged, worked a year at a medical scribe, and took a research course at school, if that even matters. Lastly, my MCAT score is a 514.
You're going to have to apply broadly if your GPAs are <3.0. Are your reinvention grades from a DIY postbac?

Can you retroactively withdraw from poor grade classes at your UG school?

@Goro
Could I get a school recommendation based on my GPA/MCAT?
MCAT (3rd attempt): 525
cgpa:3.0
sgpa:3.1
postbacc gpa: 3.75
SMP gpa: 3.65

@Goro
Could I get a school recommendation based on my GPA/MCAT?
Sure thing!
Columbia
Case
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Einstein (maybe)
Temple
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
U VM
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NovaMD
NYU.LI
NOTE: as a reinventor, you need DO schools on your list. Any DO school. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if possible.

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro May I ask if I could get some recommendations on the school list from you? Thank you so much.

MCAT: 512 (129/125/130/128)
uGPA: 3.43 (average about 3.87 for the last 3 semesters, kinda upward trend)
gGPA: 3.89

State of residence: NY

@Goro May I ask if I could get some recommendations on the school list from you? Thank you so much.

The gGPA, is that from a SMP? Research MS? What was the nature of the degree?

Kindly give us your year by year GPAs (c and s)

The gGPA, is that from a SMP? Research MS? What was the nature of the degree?

Kindly give us your year by year GPAs (c and s)
Hi Goro, thank you for your reply, sorry I spent sometime on the GPA calculations, my year by year GPA are as follows:

cGPAsGPA
Freshman2.942.74
Sophomore3.323.10
Junior3.543.25
Senior3.823.93

The graduate degree is a master of engineering in biomedical sciences, it is mostly classes and projects based

Thank you so much for your time!

Last edited:
Hi Goro, thank you for your reply, sorry I spent sometime on the GPA calculations, my year by year GPA are as follows:

cGPAsGPA
Freshman2.942.74
Sophomore3.323.10
Junior3.543.25
Senior3.823.93

The graduate degree is a master of engineering in biomedical sciences, it is mostly classes and projects based

I suggest:

EVMS
Jefferson
U VM
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NovaMD
NYU.LI
NOTE: as a reinventor, you need DO schools on your list. Any DO school. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if possible.

I suggest:

EVMS
Jefferson
U VM
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NovaMD
NYU.LI
Thank you for your list Goro, I appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad :)

ECs, things that make you unique?

• Dislike

cGPAsGPA
Freshman2.942.74
Sophomore3.323.10
Junior3.543.25
Senior3.823.93

👀 Well... just doing some simple math, I got 3.405 for your cGPA. Not the greatest. It's not as much about upward trend as you might think it is. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. And that's a B+. Not even an A-, which is the average for most of the allopathic schools that I assume you're aiming for. Certainly is good enough for DO schools. What is your MCAT score and what does the rest of your application look like?

• Dislike
👀 Well... just doing some simple math, I got 3.405 for your cGPA. Not the greatest. It's not as much about upward trend as you might think it is. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. And that's a B+. Not even an A-, which is the average for most of the allopathic schools that I assume you're aiming for. Certainly is good enough for DO schools. What is your MCAT score and what does the rest of your application look like?
I believe in that first comment that you responded to they stated their MCAT was a 512.

They have a 3.89 grad GPA paired with their undergrad upward trend. Id say thats enough to give it a shot at some MD schools.

I agree with this as a single good SR year isn't going to make you competitive compared to the pool of people who get IIs for MD schools.

You're fine for DO

I agree with this as a single good SR year isn't going to make you competitive compared to the pool of people who get IIs for MD schools.

You're fine for DO

Am I missing something? This person stated they had a good senior year as well as a solid Grad GPA.

Would the grad GPA not negate the crummy undergrad?

Am I missing something? This person stated they had a good senior year as well as a solid Grad GPA.

Would the grad GPA not negate the crummy undergrad?
I was the one who missed something, Val. I didn't realize I already responded to the SDNer and gave a school list. They definitely reinvented themselves!

I was the one who missed something, Val. I didn't realize I already responded to the SDNer and gave a school list. They definitely reinvented themselves!

Okay phew. I was so confused and thought all I learned went out the window

Just wanted to thank you again for your help @Goro . Low gpa, high-ish MCAT applicant, used your school list. Ended up with acceptances to Pritzker and Pitt, with a WL at Duke :(

I hope you always feel appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I am applying this cycle with a lower GPA and have the opportunity to take 2 upper level bio courses from a top 10 undergrad school. I realize it won't budge my overall cumulative GPA, but I was wondering if people even think it is worth doing. The tuition is basically nothing, but I am just worried that 2 classes isn't enough to be relevant in anyway. Assuming I get As it won't hurt, but I do not want to completely waste my time

They have a 3.89 grad GPA paired with their undergrad upward trend. Id say thats enough to give it a shot at some MD schools.
Thank you Calizboosted76! Your comments are very helpful and I have included all my ECs in my other WAMC post.

Thank you Goro, I am wondering if a new MCAT score (aiming 516+) may help open up more doors for the MD schools?

Thank you Goro, I am wondering if a new MCAT score (aiming 516+) may help open up more doors for the MD schools?
At this point (as a reinventor), I am not sure how big of a difference a 512 to 516 would be. I feel like it is indeed a gamble to retake with hopes to hit that score because if you were to for some reason score lower (bad sleep the night before or something that is out of your control) then that would be a red flag in your application.

At this point (as a reinventor), I am not sure how big of a difference a 512 to 516 would be.
IMO, your GPA performance is more important as a reinventor by definition. A strong MCAT is sufficient, and 512 is strong enough for most schools that reward reinvention.

At this point (as a reinventor), I am not sure how big of a difference a 512 to 516 would be. I feel like it is indeed a gamble to retake with hopes to hit that score because if you were to for some reason score lower (bad sleep the night before or something that is out of your control) then that would be a red flag in your application.
Thank you for your advice Calizboosted76!

A few. But single metrics do not have magic properties.

The schools that like reinvention like service to others, BTW
Hi Goro, thank you! Would you feel community service and hospital volunteering (about 200 hours +) may be indicative for service to others?

IMO, your GPA performance is more important as a reinventor by definition. A strong MCAT is sufficient, and 512 is strong enough for most schools that reward reinvention.
Hi Mr.Smile12, thank you! Just wondering if my GPA could be seen as a kind of upward trend and reinvention?

Hi Mr.Smile12, thank you! Just wondering if my GPA could be seen as a kind of upward trend and reinvention?
Did you share your year by year GPAs? Also because you had an engineering background, I would want to see performance with mostly biomedical science coursework.

Hi Goro, thank you! Would you feel community service and hospital volunteering (about 200 hours +) may be indicative for service to others?
Hospital volunteering should involve customer service, and 200 hours should be a good start. Community Service should involve service to others by definition, but you need to show you are empathetic and humble in alleviating others' distress (not as a subject matter expert or a fundraiser). 200 hours is also a great start (minimum 150 to avoid getting screened out).

Did you share your year by year GPAs? Also because you had an engineering background, I would want to see performance with mostly biomedical science coursework.

Hi Mr.Smile12, thank you! I will add my year by year GPA in the post, I came from a traditional engineering undergrad and I was accepted to a biomedical engineering master program which I complete the master with all BCPM classes in 4.0.

When we talk about service to others we specifically are referring to non clinical volunteering. Medicine is a service profession after all.
Thank you Goro, that makes sense, I did non-clinical volunteering (worked at a food bank, serving immigrants and people with low income) for about 200+ hours.

@Goro I was wondering what the consensus is with DIY Online postbacc work. I've been doing an DIY online postbacc from UCSD online with 25 units at 3.97. Just seeing quite a bit of conflicting information regarding the weight of this. Raised GPA from 3.1-->3.36. If you could help clarify that would be awesome.

Here's a separate post of my full application: LINK

@Goro I was wondering what the consensus is with DIY Online postbacc work. I've been doing an DIY online postbacc from UCSD online with 25 units at 3.97. Just seeing quite a bit of conflicting information regarding the weight of this. Raised GPA from 3.1-->3.36. If you could help clarify that would be awesome.

Here's a separate post of my full application: LINK
Some schools might not like online pre-reqs. Check in MSAR Online for MD schools.

At my school, we interviewers have no idea if you've taken online coursework.

Some schools might not like online pre-reqs. Check in MSAR Online for MD schools.

At my school, we interviewers have no idea if you've taken online coursework.
None are pre-reqs, just upper bio courses

Hi Goro. I would really appreciate if you could lend an ear. I'm waitlisted at one of the two MD schools I interviewed at. I am on "delayed decision" at the other school, which I fear will also become a waitlist. I am trying to be proactive and prepare for the worst. My 3.46 cgpa and 3.16 sgpa are the weakest parts of my apps. I have good ECs, some research, lots of volunteering, 3000+ hrs of clinical experience and 515 MCAT. I am grateful that I got 2 MD interviews this cycle, but I know my gpa is holding me back. It could be my interviewing, but it's always hard to gauge that. I applied to DO schools in the normal recommended timeframe, but either haven't heard back or was rejected post-II. I am considering a DIY postbacc or SMP as I've already completed all my prereqs with a C or above. Both of the schools I interviewed at have SMPs, but I am very wary of the high risk, high costs that are attached to these programs. Do you think a DIY post bacc would be suitable for me? If I am rejected this cycle, do you think I could do a DIY postbacc in a year (4 classes per semester, 1-2 classes this summer) and apply for the 2025 cycle? Thank you in advance.

Hi Goro. I would really appreciate if you could lend an ear. I'm waitlisted at one of the two MD schools I interviewed at. I am on "delayed decision" at the other school, which I fear will also become a waitlist. I am trying to be proactive and prepare for the worst. My 3.46 cgpa and 3.16 sgpa are the weakest parts of my apps. I have good ECs, some research, lots of volunteering, 3000+ hrs of clinical experience and 515 MCAT. I am grateful that I got 2 MD interviews this cycle, but I know my gpa is holding me back. It could be my interviewing, but it's always hard to gauge that. I applied to DO schools in the normal recommended timeframe, but either haven't heard back or was rejected post-II. I am considering a DIY postbacc or SMP as I've already completed all my prereqs with a C or above. Both of the schools I interviewed at have SMPs, but I am very wary of the high risk, high costs that are attached to these programs. Do you think a DIY post bacc would be suitable for me? If I am rejected this cycle, do you think I could do a DIY postbacc in a year (4 classes per semester, 1-2 classes this summer) and apply for the 2025 cycle? Thank you in advance.
AcDIY post will be fine

@Goro

Would love your expertise here.

I have an 3.4 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA - with a downward trend and a particularly low GPA in bio classes (2.7). I have a 516 MCAT. I applied a few years ago to Texas MD schools and a few others (TX resident) but didn't get accepted anywhere. I'm looking to do a 30 credit postbacc/SMP (Biology masters program). Could you give me some insight into what my chances would be if I ace the postbacc, particularly for TX MD schools?

@Goro

Would love your expertise here.

I have an 3.4 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA - with a downward trend and a particularly low GPA in bio classes (2.7). I have a 516 MCAT. I applied a few years ago to Texas MD schools and a few others (TX resident) but didn't get accepted anywhere. I'm looking to do a 30 credit postbacc/SMP (Biology masters program). Could you give me some insight into what my chances would be if I ace the postbacc, particularly for TX MD schools?
You would be competitive for any DO schools, and many of the TX schools. UTxSW interviewed one of my SMP a few years ago

Hello! I would like some advice regarding whether I should apply this upcoming cycle and if so, what schools to apply to? If not, what to do moving forward. Would also love insight from @Goro !

My undergrad was tough.

My first semester, I did poorly and ended up being diagnosed with a medical condition, which was what affected my performance. Ever since then I've been fighting to be better during my undergraduate career, and graduated with a Bachelors in Biochemistry. During undergrad, I can admit I over extended myself, and I always had at least 2 jobs to support myself and support family. I was also heavily involved in extracurriculars and held several leadership positions. I also have rec letters from doctors, my graduate professors, and my undergrad advisor who is also an associate dean and watched my struggle and growth. A summary is listed below.

Based on an amcas calculator, I have a 2.515 undergrad cgpa, 2.158 undergrad sgpa, and 3.62 smp/grad gpa. My bachelors totaled 120 credits. I am aware that some schools do the 32 hr policy. 1st MCAT 496; 2nd MCAT 519. URM

ECs
Undergrad:
3 years of Undergrad research paid, (part of a research program) no publications
Job at food cafe, 3 years, and other short term jobs
SNMA MAPS, 1 yr Fundraising chair, 3 year member
Student Activities Club, 3 year member, developed, volunteered and worked at campus events
Education Steering Committee, 3 years, 1 year as director, volunteered/fundraised money for student education in Africa
CSA, 3 years, president for 1 year, public relations chair 1 year, hosted cultural events
2 medical volunteer trips abroad, triaged pts etc (clinical experience around 300 hours total)
ER/SICU volunteer for 2 years
Domestic Violence shelter volunteer (50 hrs)
Shadowed a neurosurgeon, pediatric surgeon, and nephrologist (16 hours total)
Student Phlebotomist Internship at VA hospital (2-3 months)

Grad School:
Market volunteer (45 hrs)
Stem Workshop teaching kids (1 year +)

Post Graduate School:
Medical scribe,1050 hrs ( can also count as shadowing?)
Medical Assistant (2 yrs/2800+ hrs)
Shelter Food Volunteer (60hrs+)

Thanks in advance.

• Haha
Hello! I would like some advice regarding whether I should apply this upcoming cycle and if so, what schools to apply to? If not, what to do moving forward. Would also love insight from @Goro !

My undergrad was tough.

My first semester, I did poorly and ended up being diagnosed with a medical condition, which was what affected my performance. Ever since then I've been fighting to be better during my undergraduate career, and graduated with a Bachelors in Biochemistry. During undergrad, I can admit I over extended myself, and I always had at least 2 jobs to support myself and support family. I was also heavily involved in extracurriculars and held several leadership positions. I also have rec letters from doctors, my graduate professors, and my undergrad advisor who is also an associate dean and watched my struggle and growth. A summary is listed below.

Based on an amcas calculator, I have a 2.515 undergrad cgpa, 2.158 undergrad sgpa, and 3.62 smp/grad gpa. My bachelors totaled 120 credits. I am aware that some schools do the 32 hr policy. 1st MCAT 496; 2nd MCAT 519. URM

ECs
Undergrad:
3 years of Undergrad research paid, (part of a research program) no publications
Student Activities Club, 3 year member, developed, volunteered and worked at campus events
Education Steering Committee, 3 years, 1 year as director, volunteered/fundraised money for student education in Africa
CSA, 3 years, president for 1 year, public relations chair 1 year, hosted cultural events
2 medical volunteer trips abroad, triaged pts etc (clinical experience around 300 hours total)

Grad School:

Post Graduate School:

Thanks in advance.
What community do you represent?
Your STEM workshop...were those poor kids?

My undergrad was tough.

ECs
Undergrad:

Grad School:

Post Graduate School:

Thanks in advance.
My condolensces.

What community do you represent?
Your STEM workshop...were those poor kids?
I am a Black URM, and yes they came from underserved, lower socioeconomic communities.