Good book for Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dooooom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to know if anyone knew of a good book for away rotations so I know a little something before I get there. Have a few aways planned over the next couple of months.

Also does anyone have any ideas about a good pocket book for reference. Appreciate anyone's input. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Hansen and Roach Handbook of Evidence Based Radiation Oncology. Divided by tumor site. Has pearls for each chapter, staging, recommended treatment by stage, and citations of trials backing up recommendations. New edi.tion any day now....

2. Haffty and Wilson. More of a textbook. I found the small type hard to take.

3. AJCC Staging manual, 7th ed. Has useful discussion of staging considerations and implications.

4. NCCN website. Free registration gets you access to treatment decision trees divided by site. Also has some multimedia presentations.

5. Hall's Radiobiology for the Radiologist - the first few chapters will help you understand the very basics of radiation interaction with matter, the linear-quadratic model of cell survivial, and units of dose and exposure.

6. The Hendee or Khan physics texts require little mathematical skill and would at least be useful as an intro to the machines.

7. Some sort of anatomy review, particularly of radiographic anatomy, would be great.

Most of these will be available in the department or your institution's library.

Hi everyone, just wanted to know if anyone knew of a good book for away rotations so I know a little something before I get there. Have a few aways planned over the next couple of months.

Also does anyone have any ideas about a good pocket book for reference. Appreciate anyone's input. Thanks

I like Haffty.... Blue Book is good too.