Programs without dedicated Pediatrics Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivybme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an earlier discussion on SDN, there was the thought that programs that require an off-site radiation oncology rotation should not have a standalone program. Here are the programs that I believe do their pediatrics "offsite:"

St Jude:
Tennessee
UTHSCA
WVU
Loyola
VCU (not required)
CCF (not required)

CHOP:
Fox Chase

MDACC:
Baylor
UTMB

MSKCC:
Mt Sinai

Anyone know of any others?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Peds should be a fellowship

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
In an earlier discussion on SDN, there was the thought that programs that require an off-site radiation oncology rotation should not have a standalone program. Here are the programs that I believe do their pediatrics "offsite:"

St Jude:
Tennessee
UTHSCA
WVU
Loyola
VCU (not required)
CCF (not required)

CHOP:
Fox Chase

MDACC:
Baylor

Anyone know of any others?

FYI the MDA pediatric patients are actually baylor (Texas Childrens patients) all the tumor boards are BCM. So saying their residents go off-site for peds is incorrect even if the RT is contracted with MDA because of protons.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UTMB (Galveston) had required MDACC rotations back in my interview days. Also don’t some of the NYC programs rotate at MSKCC for peds?

Yes. Mt. Sinai goes to MSKCC for Peds rotation.

shocking! Always funny to see the hellpits “leading”

Last edited:
Ok! I made some edits. I might also start adding programs that do brachytherapy off site as well

Peds is such a niched field I see no problem in few programs leading the way.

This isn't the way. Kinda disingenuous. Peds isn't a worthwhile rotation at home or away.
this is the truth. I trained at a very high volume peds center and one our 2 mo peds rotation you would often still not get enough cases to meet the graduation requirements.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Peds is just one more section that needs to be cut from the boards along with lymphoma, seminoma, and gi (in 10 years). No one should be treating definitive peds who doesn’t specialize in it. (St Jude’s will fly in almost any kid, so this is not an issue of access)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Peds is just one more section that needs to be cut from the boards along with lymphoma, seminoma, and gi (in 10 years). No one should be treating definitive peds who doesn’t specialize in it. (St Jude’s will fly in almost any kid, so this is not an issue of access)
I think the idea is that in every decent sized metro area, there's a peds program somewhere where RT made need to be given.

Many larger pp and employed practices for big non academic hospital systems end up having to do some peds.

So i think that's why it is still on the boards

Last edited:
I think anyone should know how to treat a Peds care. One medullo case every 20 years of practice, but be ready

I think anyone should know how to treat a Peds care. One medullo case every 20 years of practice, but be ready
1) Computer, ideally made after 2013 with at least 4GB RAM
2) Internet access, ideally not governed by some low-rent hospital IT SysAdmin who uses a default network whitelist
3) Functioning keyboard and mouse, ideally with less than 2 grams of dead skin cells trapped in the crevices from years of use

READY!

*starts furiously drawing circles in a classic MS Paint style*

FYI the MDA pediatric patients are actually baylor (Texas Childrens patients) all the tumor boards are BCM. So saying their residents go off-site for peds is incorrect even if the RT is contracted with MDA because of protons.
Switch Baylor and Mdacc!
Huh? The attendings are MDACC faculty and the patients are treated at the MDACC proton center

If you're only doing one case of something every 20 years, whatever the procedure may be, I think it's probably safer for both the doctor and the patient to refer that case out.

Reactions: 4 users
If you're only doing one case of something every 20 years, whatever the procedure may be, I think it's probably safer for both the doctor and the patient to refer that case out.
I know plenty of places where peds is happening outside of academic centers (with or without residency programs). Bottom line is that these cases should be treated at high volume places. Even in FL (and I'm sure elsewhere around the country) you've got non-academic proton centers in Orlando and Miami treating peds cases.

This idea that peds is happening in very few places just isn't true. Kids live everywhere and not all of them can travel to STJ

I know plenty of places where peds is happening outside of academic centers (with or without residency programs). Bottom line is that these cases should be treated at high volume places. Even in FL (and I'm sure elsewhere around the country) you've got non-academic proton centers in Orlando and Miami treating peds cases.

This idea that peds is happening in very few places just isn't true. Kids live everywhere and not all of them can travel to STJ
I think you're both right. Personally, I don't need a 3 month rotation and boards prep to know I should refer a case somewhere else. I can't even recall a peds question in the couple hundred I've done on the ABR Online learning assessment.

Reactions: 2 users
Huh? The attendings are MDACC faculty and the patients are treated at the MDACC proton center
That’s right the radonc is all MDA but the vast amount of the patients come from TCH (BCM) (medonc/surgeons) where all their ancillary get collected, outside of RT.

A piece of trivia is that historically all these patients were treated decades ago within the Baylor/Methodist system before the split. Eventually the old PD of the BCM program who treats the most peds at MDA was recruited there and the patients followed. A contingency is that BCM residents get their peds cases at MDA. But MDA is reliant on their partnership with Texas Childrens in that regard.

I would also add that despite treating adults I find that our limited knowledge of peds is still very useful for young adults with pediatric cancers (Ewing’s, RMS, etc) I find adult medoncs to be quite reliant on our insight for those patients.

Last edited: