For medical students in the class of 2021 interested in RadOnc - away rotations and career choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
View attachment 310780

giphy-downsized-large.gif
I post the ASTRO jobsite data, and it's up to others to interpret. It could be a red flag, or not. Depends very much on context. Context is important. For example, in one analysis of SBRT vs surgery, it was reported...

18JlRhU.png

... that after treatment, SBRT patients would've chosen the opposite treatment at a much higher rate than surgery patients. This is a good example of twisting p-values through a particular viewpoint. Because one could say:

After a lung cancer treatment, surgery or SBRT patients would choose surgery at a non-dissimilar rate (p=0.3).
OR
After SBRT, SBRT patients would choose an opposite treatment at a much different rate than surgery patients would (p<0.001).

That said, I have compared job "web availability" (compute the residents per year/instantaneous web job count ratio) for rad onc vs other specialties and it's always p<0.05 for rad onc job web availability vs others. I've never seen it not be.

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I count:
~821 jobs listed on the ASTRO job wesbite...
Of these ASTRO listings, it shows there are 28 radiation oncologist jobs in the United States.
Anyone's welcome... more than welcome... to please check my tally.
Rad onc jobs are like our therapeutic x-rays: you can't see 'em, touch 'em, or smell 'em, but you have faith they're there.

EDIT: there may be ~15-20x as many medical oncology-related jobs on the ASTRO website right now than radiation oncology jobs.

Well OBVIOUSLY you need to use the secret job platform over at "Look-At-Me-Network.com".

I count 32 jobs there!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)