GI fellowship applications for 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjj8663

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, for those of you who have applied in the past, GI doesn't open until December, but what was your time frame for getting your letters of recommendation, and files uploaded to ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Get your application ready as soon as you can. You should have your letter writers lined up by the end of September, and meet with them before they write your letters to discuss your career plans, research, and the places you're applying to. All of mine wanted my personal statement before writing their letters, so you should start working on that as well around now. I think you can start uploading stuff in November, but apply for your token before then. Ideally, all your letters should be done by November so they can be uploaded to ERAS before Dec 1 when programs can upload them. Staying on top of it can prevent the stress of waiting for letters to show up when deadlines are approaching. It's a really long process from now until mid June, but have patience!

Hey skiplesion I also appreciate the response. How was the upload process for you? I will be picking up my MSPE and transcripts from med school and upload them on the ERAS website...the process seems to be more "manual labor" for us than during residency when your med school does all that for you. Any tips on how you selected your GI programs? I'm interested in clinical or clinical research positions...no basic science. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
The upload process was easy... once you are able to convert these documents into an electronic format. I recall pdf was fine. These small things definitely were more labor intensive than med school since you no longer have a dean's office to do it all.

As for choosing programs, moreso than residency you should apply broadly. You can always cancel invitations. This may be unfamiliar especially if you are coming from a high-powered IM program. Also, for those looking for "clinical or clinical research spots," you should know that these really are not interchangeable positions. Clinical research spots have more in common with basic science research tracks than straight up clinical spots. A few of the programs that I visited even only have "research" (combining basic and clinical) and "clinical" tracks. In addition, some of the clinical research tracks are 4 years long because they include an extra year for advanced degree. Finally, some programs will only allow you to apply to one of their tracks, while others may consider you for both research and clinical tracks. It can get a bit confusing unless you research individual programs in depth.

The upload process was easy... once you are able to convert these documents into an electronic format. I recall pdf was fine. These small things definitely were more labor intensive than med school since you no longer have a dean's office to do it all.

As for choosing programs, moreso than residency you should apply broadly. You can always cancel invitations. This may be unfamiliar especially if you are coming from a high-powered IM program. Also, for those looking for "clinical or clinical research spots," you should know that these really are not interchangeable positions. Clinical research spots have more in common with basic science research tracks than straight up clinical spots. A few of the programs that I visited even only have "research" (combining basic and clinical) and "clinical" tracks. In addition, some of the clinical research tracks are 4 years long because they include an extra year for advanced degree. Finally, some programs will only allow you to apply to one of their tracks, while others may consider you for both research and clinical tracks. It can get a bit confusing unless you research individual programs in depth.
Hi nexus, i am a new member to the community. quick question, do GI programs send interview calls on first come first serve basis? I mean my LORs will get uploaded by dec 15, so am worried if I will loose a few programs??

Hi nexus, i am a new member to the community. quick question, do GI programs send interview calls on first come first serve basis? I mean my LORs will get uploaded by dec 15, so am worried if I will loose a few programs??

So I am not on an adcom, but this process is somewhat similar to IM invites. Some programs' invites are given out on a rolling basis. For example, I recall that Yale is very quick to send out invitations in December (by 12/15?). On the other hand, there are other programs that prefer to wait before sending out invitations.

So I am not on an adcom, but this process is somewhat similar to IM invites. Some programs' invites are given out on a rolling basis. For example, I recall that Yale is very quick to send out invitations in December (by 12/15?). On the other hand, there are other programs that prefer to wait before sending out invitations.

thanks Nexus... atleast one member is active on this forum.. :) 3 of my lors have reached, but 4th one will reach by end of first week of dec.. i am kind of confused as to shd I wait till dec 7 or submit 3 lors and then 4th one will reach at its own pace?? I am not sure if the 4th one will be downloaded by programs once they have downloaded by initial application???

Get in the game early. 3 letters are fine, all the programs will load your fourth when it's ready and if they've already screened your application it should give you a second dose of "face time" when they see the new letter. Good luck!

Can I deassign a LOR if already assigned to applied programs, and later on replace it with another LOR couple of weeks after applying. I have 4 LORs now, but waiting for a 5th one, which I want to add on after I apply as I will be recieveing it late. Thanks for any info on this.

Hi Skiplesion,
Do I need to absolutely have a LOR from PD of residency program? I have graduated from a community program couple of years back, and been doing some research at big center. I am planning to send all LOR's from my research place. Will programs reject my application if I do not have a LOR from Residency program PD?? I really appreacite any response.

Hi Skiplesion,
Do I need to absolutely have a LOR from PD of residency program? I have graduated from a community program couple of years back, and been doing some research at big center. I am planning to send all LOR's from my research place. Will programs reject my application if I do not have a LOR from Residency program PD?? I really appreacite any response.

A tough question, but I think programs would wonder why you don't have either a chairman or PD letter. Is it because of the reputation of your new letter writers is significantly better than your PD or because you feel the PD letter would not be as positive? You might need to explain why you won't have a PD letter if you choose not to have one. Bottom line, your letters should be as positive as possible but you don't want to raise any suspicions that you somehow did not get along with your home program. Hope that helps, good luck!

is it better to list abstracts submitted for ddw (dec 1st) now or wait for them to be accepted and then update the programs later on?

is it better to list abstracts submitted for ddw (dec 1st) now or wait for them to be accepted and then update the programs later on?

Great question. Also, if you listed a research project under "research" in the CV section, 1) would you and 2) where would you list the submitted abstract? I'm guessing under publications?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get that message from UVA to complete your application ASAP? I don't think it means anything but curious why they would send that, of course we should be trying to complete our apps.

Did anyone else get that message from UVA to complete your application ASAP? I don't think it means anything but curious why they would send that, of course we should be trying to complete our apps.

yeap I got it as well, I don't think it really means anything. I think that the main point of that email was just to remind us to complete the application and let us know about their benefits....no biggy. Good luck!

I guess all of the applicants have received that email and a clarrification....

i didnt receive that message.. may be because my application is already complete.. last lor reached 12/7.. keeping my fingers crossed..

anybody on Gi forum on h1b visa? if yes, is there any h1b friendly program list available anywhere?

i have listed those under publications (other than published) . once ddw abstract gets accepted, i plan to update the programs then, would also serve as a reminder that i am interested in their pogram..

So do you plan to call the programs or e mail them?

Great question. Also, if you listed a research project under "research" in the CV section, 1) would you and 2) where would you list the submitted abstract? I'm guessing under publications?

I'm not sure the "exact" rules, but I was told by the GI program director from my home program that I cannot list submitted abstract for oral or poster presentations that are still pending decisions. If abstract is accepted, then it would be Ok to list it under "poster or oral presentation". However, publication submitted to peer review journal is not intended for abstracts submitted to DDW. His perception could be wrong, but that is what I was told.

Looks like SLU is offering invitations. I didn't get one but a poster on the Welcome to GI post has. Let's keep this one the official 2010-2011 thread!

I agree we should have a official thread for the 2011 GI entering class...this could certainly be it, or we can make another one with a better title and do like the other fellowship posts and list programs that are already offering interviews and who has gotten them.....:thumbup:

I agree we should have a official thread for the 2011 GI entering class...this could certainly be it, or we can make another one with a better title and do like the other fellowship posts and list programs that are already offering interviews and who has gotten them.....:thumbup:

ya.. lets make this thread the official one to discuss calls.

well considering that this will be the official GI 2011 app thread I'll start the format

St. Louis Universtiy: gidoc2007

let's keep them coming guys!!!

Thank you everyone for your contributions to this thread.

I will be applying to programs tonight. I have some of the usual fears-- is it too late? Will programs consider my application? What programs have Dec 15th as deadline? Appreciate your replies.

Good Luck to you all.

Thank you everyone for your contributions to this thread.

I will be applying to programs tonight. I have some of the usual fears-- is it too late? Will programs consider my application? What programs have Dec 15th as deadline? Appreciate your replies.

Good Luck to you all.

From last year's cycle, of the programs that I applied, Duke and maybe Penn were the only two with Dec 15th deadlines (sorry memory not serving me well right now). I think UChicago's deadline was Dec 1st. You should of course verify these.

I know that UCLA closed their applications of Dec 1.

From last year's cycle, of the programs that I applied, Duke and maybe Penn were the only two with Dec 15th deadlines (sorry memory not serving me well right now). I think UChicago's deadline was Dec 1st. You should of course verify these.

When you guys say "deadline," what does that mean? :confused:

In other words, do the LORs have to be in by that time too? Or just the CAF stuff? Reason why I ask is that some of the LORs aren't even uploaded yet by ERAS much loaded downloaded by the other programs...

Thoughts?

Deadlines

UChicago -Dec 1st
Duke-Dec 15th

Thanks for the input. I will not be applying to UChicago, and Duke.

Hi everyone, haven't posted for a long time, but wanted to let you guys know that OHSU is offering interviews now so check your emails. They only gave me one date 2/5. Also, UCSD is offering interviews on 2/19 and 3/12 (i only know because i go to residency there, haven't been offered one). Good luck everyone on this process. Also, is this going to be the official interview board?

hey dirtybob congrats! I believe this will be the official interview thread, so feel free to add your info for your future interviews. Updating list:

St. Louis University: gidoc2007
OHSU: dirtybob

Keep them coming guys! :thumbup: I didn't apply to st. louis or OHSU, maybe I should have ;) I did apply to UCSD though...no news from them however.

Hello all,

I received an invite from Duke today! They offered Sat, Jan 30th or Sat, Feb 20th. They have 5 interview slots/day.

Duke: GILumen

Hello all,

I received an invite from Duke today! They offered Sat, Jan 30th or Sat, Feb 20th. They have 5 interview slots/day.

Congrats. Duke is a nice program.

Congratz both Duke and OHSU are great schools!!

Thanks gidoc! Congrats to you as well. And now the weekend wait...

Last edited:
I think the rest of us will have to wait till after New Year's. These have to be pretty exceptional candidates getting interviews at big places this early. Compared to last year, I think their ERAS download date by programs was 2 weeks earlier than ours right?

got rejection from Aurora commmunity program , Wisconsin...

Now I know atleast my ERAS is working!! :)

don't sweat it sevenblue, they only take 1 fellow/year anyways....I didn't even apply for that reason...only programs with 2+ fellows/year for me. :D Good luck!

and they are mostly know to take their own residents. So as Dr. Don said take it easy and hope for the best!!!

UC Irvine is giving out interviews now, 1/22/2010. Great job of posting updates on this thread everyone!

Just received an invite from MGH. The email said "we interview on Mondays and Tuesdays". I called and they offered Jan 19th, Feb 1st and Feb 2nd.

MGH: GILumen

UCI: dirtybob

Great job guys! just updating the list and keeping it alphabetized :thumbup:

UCI: dirtybob

Great job guys! just updating the list and keeping it alphabetized :thumbup:

Alphabetized? Dr. Don is running a tight ship! I like it! Haha

UCI: dirtybob, Remicade
UCLA: Remicade

No word from MGH or Duke yet. Congrats all.

Last edited:
OHSU: dirtybob, White Bile
UCI: dirtybob, Remicade
UCLA: Remicade, White Bile
Yale: White Bile

Got Yale invite a couple days ago, and UCLA today. Nothing from UC Irvine so far :'(