Georgetown SMP, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But I highly doubt that is because of the essays that your app didn't work the first time. It was more likely cuz of your GPA or MCAT or some other factor lacking. that is usually the case and usually schools tell you if your essays are sucky and they are schools that are open to discuss what was weak.

Zoom-whoosh-zoom. that's the sound of the me-being-facetious-plane flying right over your head

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to be harsh, but I can pretty much promise all of you that your secondary essays that you wrote for a previous cycle aren't as good as you think they were. That being said, everyone is always growing and improving, so you could probably write a better essay today than you could a year ago.

Secondly, some schools will reference your previous years secondaries in relation to the new ones. How do you think they will look at your desire to attend if you recycled essays? I don't know which schools do this, but I have been told by administrators that some do. So do you want to take the chance?

It isn't that hard to write new essays, and put a new spin on them. Don't assume that you not getting in had nothing to do with your essays. People get in with low GPA"s and low MCAT scores every year BECAUSE of essays. So please, don't be lazy, rewrite your essays. This is business, if you truly want this to be the last time you have to apply take it seriously and don't take short cuts.

So, does that mean you can't borrow from previous essays? No, but they are important enough that they deserve a fresh write. Of course this is just my opinion, so feel free to disagree. If you are in the SMP that means there is something wrong with your application, might as well do everything you can to increase your chances of acceptance.

I just couldn't deal with not knowing which schools may reference my previous secondaries, figured I would be better off to invest the extra time now rather than have to reapply because they thought I was lazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
My point is that risk is there no matter where you are, even the Stanford MBA program. You think the bottom 15% of the class at the Stanford MBA school are going to see some huge return on their investment? I'd wager that closer to the top 50 to 60% will see a return.

Yes, b/c grades don't matter in business school. There's a reason it's called b-school... as long as you pass, you'll be fine. McKinsey, BCG, etc... never even asked about grades in my post business school apps. No one really cares. For those people who had a previous career in a given field, business school essentially vaults you up a step from where you were. For example, going with the consulting example, those who were business analysts would be associates after business school, in marketing one would go from a marketing manager to a senior marketing manager, and so on/so forth. Barring special cases, of the time those promotions take significantly longer than 2 years and in many cases the MBA is a requisite to advance. The degree is also very useful for career changers making lateral moves. All in all, the degree has a great deal of value for most people who get it. Even someone like me, who got the degree 3-4 years prior to deciding to go to med school, get a ton of value out of it. Simply the increase in salary post business school for 2-3 years was worth the cost. Someone who will work 20-30+ years after business school is getting a great deal from the degree.

Yes, b/c grades don't matter in business school. There's a reason it's called b-school... as long as you pass, you'll be fine. McKinsey, BCG, etc... never even asked about grades in my post business school apps. No one really cares. For those people who had a previous career in a given field, business school essentially vaults you up a step from where you were. For example, going with the consulting example, those who were business analysts would be associates after business school, in marketing one would go from a marketing manager to a senior marketing manager, and so on/so forth. Barring special cases, of the time those promotions take significantly longer than 2 years and in many cases the MBA is a requisite to advance. The degree is also very useful for career changers making lateral moves. All in all, the degree has a great deal of value for most people who get it. Even someone like me, who got the degree 3-4 years prior to deciding to go to med school, get a ton of value out of it. Simply the increase in salary post business school for 2-3 years was worth the cost. Someone who will work 20-30+ years after business school is getting a great deal from the degree.

I was using grades as an example because most people on SDN haven't been to business school. But I guarantee that no matter what business school you go to, there is a small percentage of the class that doesn't have an amazing job lined up after the program. No business school that I'm aware of boasts a 90% success rate at placing their grads where they want to be.

My point wasn't that business school was a bad move, but rather the 85 to 90% success rate for going on to medical school from the SMP is as good or better than these other programs that students are saying are "more reliable" or cheaper, or whatever the argument was.

Thanks for the insight though!

I don't know if this question has been asked before, I searched and couldn't find the answer.
The section for accepted students says 'the director' will send schools a letter informing them that we are in the program. I assume that means I should enter it as another letter in the AMCAS, and on any secondaries that ask me to list letters. Does anyone know the name I should put and contact information?

I don't know if this question has been asked before, I searched and couldn't find the answer.
The section for accepted students says 'the director' will send schools a letter informing them that we are in the program. I assume that means I should enter it as another letter in the AMCAS, and on any secondaries that ask me to list letters. Does anyone know the name I should put and contact information?

I'm not going to list it because I want to be positive of what it is and who it is coming from before I tell med schools about it. I imagine it'll be easier to deal with later than trying to figure it out now. I think everyone has their own advisor too so that person will write a letter.

I'm not going to list it because I want to be positive of what it is and who it is coming from before I tell med schools about it. I imagine it'll be easier to deal with later than trying to figure it out now. I think everyone has their own advisor too so that person will write a letter.

You can always add it later, but you will definitely add it. It will come out from Dr. Mulroney if you want to add it now. Feel free to confirm it, but this year it came from Dr. Mulroney. It will go out fairly shortly after the year starts so that schools know what the program is all about!

I was using grades as an example because most people on SDN haven't been to business school. But I guarantee that no matter what business school you go to, there is a small percentage of the class that doesn't have an amazing job lined up after the program. No business school that I'm aware of boasts a 90% success rate at placing their grads where they want to be.

My point wasn't that business school was a bad move, but rather the 85 to 90% success rate for going on to medical school from the SMP is as good or better than these other programs that students are saying are "more reliable" or cheaper, or whatever the argument was.

Thanks for the insight though!

It just depends what you mean on "where you want to be" Most full-time MBA programs require substantiative work experience for those candidates who aren't quantitatively and qualitatively phenomenal. Of course, those people doing their MBA (a much larger percentage) in fully employed MBA programs already have full time jobs and their schooling is most likely paid for by their employers. It's certainly possible to not get your money's worth from a MBA, but that's most often going to happen for those people who want to change careers from say, marketing to finance or something. That said, MBAs are about networking and access to alumni networks and I would say for all intents and purposes it's difficult to argue the degree isn't worth the money, in the long run. I mean, the only exceptions I can think about would be MBA programs like University of Phoenix or something. However, we're talking about the BEST SMP program... the success rate of Harvard and Wharton MBAs in my experience is far higher than 85-90%. I don't recall a single one of my classmates that felt like their two years wasn't well-spent, never mind that business school is a lot more fun than a SMP.

If you're one of the 15% of people who don't get into a medical school after the Georgetown SMP you've wasted money for a degree that's utterly worthless.

You can always add it later, but you will definitely add it. It will come out from Dr. Mulroney if you want to add it now. Feel free to confirm it, but this year it came from Dr. Mulroney. It will go out fairly shortly after the year starts so that schools know what the program is all about!
So that would be what we put for the dean or department chair for schools like EVMS and MCW that ask for info from grad students?

I just don't want to put something down and then have MCW wait around for a letter that isn't what they expect.

I was wondering if any of the recent SMP graduates or alumni could post what your gpa was at the end of the program and what schools you got into and decided to attend??

Hello Guys!
I am anxiously waiting for a response from gtown. Do you think they have a spot still? I turned in my application on the last day...I really want to go to gtown. I have been accepted into EVMS and is about 90 percent set on going to EVMS. However, I think I would choose Gtown over EVMS. Would you guys agree?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're one of the 15% of people who don't get into a medical school after the Georgetown SMP you've wasted money for a degree that's utterly worthless.

Three things...

First, off the 15% number misleading. Yes, they didn't go to medical school, but is that because they couldn't get in? The answer is no. About 10% of the class decides that either, they don't want to go to medical school (this is more common than you think), or they'd rather get a PhD, or a JD. So were they successful coming out of the program? Well they got where they decided they wanted to go. So we are talking about maybe 5% of the class that doesn't end up medical school.

Second, the degree isn't useless. I was with you one year ago, but once you are done all anyone cares about is that you have a M.S. from Georgetown. It is just as useful as a masters anywhere else. I could teach at a junior college, or get a much better job in bio-tech then before I came. So from experience, as someone who got the degree I can say that it isn't useless if you decide you don't want to do medical school.

Third, I don't believe you that the bottom 5 percent of the MBA class at Stanford "succeed" on the level that we say would make an MBA worth it. Just my experience. So we can agree to disagree on that point :)

So that would be what we put for the dean or department chair for schools like EVMS and MCW that ask for info from grad students?

I just don't want to put something down and then have MCW wait around for a letter that isn't what they expect.

You can't go wrong listing Mulroney for anything. She is the head person for the SMP. So if they want the top person, definitely list Mulroney.

Third, I don't believe you that the bottom 5 percent of the MBA class at Stanford "succeed" on the level that we say would make an MBA worth it. Just my experience. So we can agree to disagree on that point :)

As I said before, there is no "bottom 5 percent" in a MBA class. I suppose it's possible to fail business school, but I've never heard of it happening. There are a number of classes where if you show up, and write a paper, you get an A. Grades are not important and have nothing to do with where you end up. If you're talking about the bottom 5% in terms of outcomes, the worst case scenario is that you have a degree that has a great deal of inherent value. MBAs from top programs carry as much value as MD/JDs from top programs, despite being two years and many times paid for by your employer. Clearly if you went to a worse program, the degree could have less value, but again, we're talking about the "best" SMP, so apples to apples.

One could say my situation is as close to a "worst case scenario" as you could get (although I did get a promotion equivalent to 4 years of work experience after finishing my 2 year degree, I only worked in business for ~4 years after it before I decided to go to med school) and it was still a fantastically useful degree. I credit a good portion of my success in the app process to the prestige of a top MBA. Furthermore, access to incredible alumni resources/networking have value in all situations, even ones that on the surface seem not at all business related. I recently ran into a technical problem in a lab I am working in in which the vendor we were working with wasn't being particularly responsive. A quick check of my address book and a call to a classmate of mine (who is a director at GE, the company in question) and the problem was resolved. Apparently their normal product development/update cycle and time to implementation of changes was in the 2-3 year range. Networking is important in most fields but I don't see the access to alumni networks/networking anywhere near as powerful for JD/MD degrees simply because you meet less people and it's not as essential. Since I'm planning to practice for some time then return to the medical device industry, the degree will probably end up being more valuable than my MD fwiw... food for thought.

Last edited:
Hello Guys!
I am anxiously waiting for a response from gtown. Do you think they have a spot still? I turned in my application on the last day...I really want to go to gtown. I have been accepted into EVMS and is about 90 percent set on going to EVMS. However, I think I would choose Gtown over EVMS. Would you guys agree?

I submitted my application back in April, but was waiting to get my MCAT results from the 4/26 administration, so Georgetown didn't consider my application complete until three weeks ago. I called up and Ms. Cabiness said my application is "with committee" and I'll be e-mailed once a decision has been made. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 30 MCAT, so I figured that I had a shot. The suspense is killing me. KILLING ME.

I submitted my application back in April, but was waiting to get my MCAT results from the 4/26 administration, so Georgetown didn't consider my application complete until three weeks ago. I called up and Ms. Cabiness said my application is "with committee" and I'll be e-mailed once a decision has been made. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 30 MCAT, so I figured that I had a shot. The suspense is killing me. KILLING ME.

I spoke too soon. High Priority Wait List. Ahhh, lame. I hate waiting.

Thank You GujuDoc,
I just called Gtown today and was told that I am placed on waitlist...and will not know until late July. I am very sad about the news. Do you guys think that I will still have a chance? EVMS is great also but I do love Georgetown SOM. Its also very close to my cousin who has been going through some rough personal time.

HomeMD

As I said before, there is no "bottom 5 percent" in a MBA class. I suppose it's possible to fail business school, but I've never heard of it happening. There are a number of classes where if you show up, and write a paper, you get an A. Grades are not important and have nothing to do with where you end up. If you're talking about the bottom 5% in terms of outcomes, the worst case scenario is that you have a degree that has a great deal of inherent value. MBAs from top programs carry as much value as MD/JDs from top programs, despite being two years and many times paid for by your employer. Clearly if you went to a worse program, the degree could have less value, but again, we're talking about the "best" SMP, so apples to apples.

One could say my situation is as close to a "worst case scenario" as you could get (although I did get a promotion equivalent to 4 years of work experience after finishing my 2 year degree, I only worked in business for ~4 years after it before I decided to go to med school) and it was still a fantastically useful degree. I credit a good portion of my success in the app process to the prestige of a top MBA. Furthermore, access to incredible alumni resources/networking have value in all situations, even ones that on the surface seem not at all business related. I recently ran into a technical problem in a lab I am working in in which the vendor we were working with wasn't being particularly responsive. A quick check of my address book and a call to a classmate of mine (who is a director at GE, the company in question) and the problem was resolved. Apparently their normal product development/update cycle and time to implementation of changes was in the 2-3 year range. Networking is important in most fields but I don't see the access to alumni networks/networking anywhere near as powerful for JD/MD degrees simply because you meet less people and it's not as essential. Since I'm planning to practice for some time then return to the medical device industry, the degree will probably end up being more valuable than my MD fwiw... food for thought.

I'm not referring to grades, just like we aren't referring to grades when we talk about the 5% of people who don't go on to medical school. A Harvard MBA is not a guaranteed ticket to a fortunate 500 company, neither is the SMP a guaranteed ticket to medical school. But just like you are saying their are benefits for those 5% who don't get a fortunate 500, there are also benefits to the 5% who don't get into medical school. They can no apply for biotech jobs make 15 grand more per year than before, and have a G-town Masters, which apparently, looks really good.

I'm not referring to grades, just like we aren't referring to grades when we talk about the 5% of people who don't go on to medical school. A Harvard MBA is not a guaranteed ticket to a fortunate 500 company, neither is the SMP a guaranteed ticket to medical school. But just like you are saying their are benefits for those 5% who don't get a fortunate 500, there are also benefits to the 5% who don't get into medical school. They can no apply for biotech jobs make 15 grand more per year than before, and have a G-town Masters, which apparently, looks really good.

I'd make the argument that in terms of earning potential, a HBS MBA is the equivalent of a HMS MD, so take that as you will. It is as good a guarantee as you can have in an uncertain world.

I was told that she cant tell me that...I will only know a week before class starts...is that a "oh you are screwed"?

Thank You GujuDoc,
I just called Gtown today and was told that I am placed on waitlist...and will not know until late July. I am very sad about the news. Do you guys think that I will still have a chance? EVMS is great also but I do love Georgetown SOM. Its also very close to my cousin who has been going through some rough personal time.

HomeMD

Some of the students that are attending the SMP this upcoming school year are still wait-listed at medical schools (including myself). In my opinion, I'd expect the wait-list to move so don't count yourself out just yet.

Some of the students that are attending the SMP this upcoming school year are still wait-listed at medical schools (including myself). In my opinion, I'd expect the wait-list to move so don't count yourself out just yet.

and this fact really is terrible for finding housing in DC - losing your security deposit at best and having to move all over again. lucky for me i can stay in my place for the smp even if i get picked up from my waitlist =p

nah...not that its important but it's usuhs...i wont be in the same location in the city that i would have been without the w/l but the commute would still be manageable.

i just feel bad for people having to set up shop in DC and who are looking to get into school in NY, TX, CA and then deal with all that. It would still be worth the pain in the ass though since they'll be going to med school.

hopefully people see movement and then the SMP w/l can start moving

yeah it'll still be my top choice. If i get into georgetown SOM via the SMP then i'd probably change my mind and opt for the HPSP (military scholarship). thanks for the good wishes

lol, I actually love the EVMS program myself. I just feel like the Gtown SMP works with my goals much better. I do hope to come back to UCI MS. I went to UCI for my undergraduate so I consider UCI medical center to be my home. I will always come back to it. Traveling to different schools/places to learn isn't a bad place and possibly academically beneficial, but UCI is home.

Hey all,

I'm looking for a place to live. Still receiving the yahoo group emails and keeping an eye on craigslist, but I thought I would mention it here in case anyone is looking for a roomie, or else knows of a reasonably-priced, near the campus, furnished room.

Hey enzo, I am also looking for a roomate. I havent looked into a place yet. Is it hard?

Hey enzo, I am also looking for a roomate. I havent looked into a place yet. Is it hard?

I'm having a hard time. I was waiting on a waitlist--so, I wasnt seriously lookin until now. But, Ive given up on that, and have since warmed up to the idea of attending Gtown. Looking forward to a great year, actually. Im out of state and dont know the DC area at all. But Im trying to find something close to campus, like I said, also relatively inexpensive and furnished. Im easy going and plan on spending most of my time studying in my room or the library (when Im not out drinkin with the boys.) Anyway, if you know of anything, or find anything, and need a rommmate, shoot me a post, or email. In the meantime Ill keep my peepers peeled, and if I come across something Ill let you know.

I'm having a hard time. I was waiting on a waitlist--so, I wasnt seriously lookin until now. But, Ive given up on that, and have since warmed up to the idea of attending Gtown. Looking forward to a great year, actually. Im out of state and dont know the DC area at all. But Im trying to find something close to campus, like I said, also relatively inexpensive and furnished. Im easy going and plan on spending most of my time studying in my room or the library (when Im not out drinkin with the boys.) Anyway, if you know of anything, or find anything, and need a rommmate, shoot me a post, or email. In the meantime Ill keep my peepers peeled, and if I come across something Ill let you know.

If you're using craigslist, search for Burleith, Glover and Foxhall. These are the neighborhoods closest to the north side of campus, where our classes will be. New stuff is popping up all the time so I wouldn't be discouraged if you can't find something immediately.

you know, its interesting because i had the exact same feelings as you. I was holding out hope to get off my waitlist and really unenthusiastic about the smp. But now i totally embraced it and im looking forward to it.

housing really is a challenge - good luck. I don't know what your car situation is but be mindful of the parking problems that plague georgetown as well. shoot me a pm if you have certain CL posts in mind and i can give you my opinion if you want the skinny on the area

It just occurred to me that for the schools that ask for a graduate advisor's letter, does that mean we won't be marked as complete until after they receive it? Meaning this early submission business won't even matter till August?

It just occurred to me that for the schools that ask for a graduate advisor's letter, does that mean we won't be marked as complete until after they receive it? Meaning this early submission business won't even matter till August?

I'm leaving it out...

I'm leaving it out...
I'm pretty sure you're required to add it for the schools that ask. The policy usually reads that recently accepted grad students can only apply during their terminal year and with the consent of their dean/advisor.

If I'm wrong, let me know so I can start leaving it out too.

Which med schools say that? frankly, I don't think adcoms would expect us to have grad school advisor letters before we even start grad school.

Here's how I see it... I'm not going to list on AMCAS that a grad school advisor letter is going to be expected, at least for now. When med schools receive every piece of my application and mark it as complete, it'll be queued for some time anyway. So by the time anybody gives it an initial review, it'll prob be August by then anyway, and perhaps by then I'll have the grad advisor letter ready.

Point is that I'd rather have my file completed and in line sooner. If I indicate that another letter is to be expected, then that would prob cause the delays that you spoke of. Thoughts?

Which med schools say that? frankly, I don't think adcoms would expect us to have grad school advisor letters before we even start grad school.

Here's how I see it... I'm not going to list on AMCAS that a grad school advisor letter is going to be expected, at least for now. When med schools receive every piece of my application and mark it as complete, it'll be queued for some time anyway. So by the time anybody gives it an initial review, it'll prob be August by then anyway, and perhaps by then I'll have the grad advisor letter ready.

Point is that I'd rather have my file completed and in line sooner. If I indicate that another letter is to be expected, then that would prob cause the delays that you spoke of. Thoughts?
So far EVMS, SUNY Downstate, MCW (I have a feeling there's one more but stupid me didn't record it until today) all want a graduate advisor listed on their secondaries.

I didn't say I'd send the letter on AMCAS, but I did obviously list that I'm going to Georgetown for graduate school. For those three schools above, they all want one if you are "enrolled" in graduate school which means that even though they'll have all the letters listed on AMCAS, they will not have all the letters listed on their secondary.

At least for one of those schools, the policy was clear for "recently accepted" graduate students to have a letter from their dean/advisor stating that it was okay for them to accept to med school.

I agree that it's a stupid concept and a massive delay, but I don't see anyway around it. Which is where y'all come in :)

Last edited:
...I agree that it's a stupid concept and a massive delay, but I don't see anyway around it. Which is where y'all come in :)

Temple has a postbacc with a guaranteed spot in the med school the following year if you maintain a certain gpa. I think Tulane also has a similar program. I know for Temple, you are not allowed to apply to med schools or you will be kicked out of the program.

Temple has a postbacc with a guaranteed spot in the med school the following year if you maintain a certain gpa. I think Tulane also has a similar program. I know for Temple, you are not allowed to apply to med schools or you will be kicked out of the program.
Thanks but I'm already committed to Georgetown's SMP.

Thanks but I'm already committed to Georgetown's SMP.

I was just pointing out a possible reason that med schools want a letter from your grad program. I've seen you in the Georgetown SMP forum, I might be there too.

I was just pointing out a possible reason that med schools want a letter from your grad program. I've seen you in the Georgetown SMP forum, I might be there too.
Ah gotcha! I know it's good to make sure a grad program is okay with their student applying to med school, but I don't know why med schools want the letter months before school resumes and will hold up an app even if undergrad letters are in.

I've e-mailed SUNY Downstate to confirm that they'll wait for ALL letters, but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

I didn't say I'd send the letter on AMCAS, but I did obviously list that I'm going to Georgetown for graduate school. For those three schools above, they all want one if you are "enrolled" in graduate school which means that even though they'll have all the letters listed on AMCAS, they will not have all the letters listed on their secondary.

At least for one of those schools, the policy was clear for "recently accepted" graduate students to have a letter from their dean/advisor stating that it was okay for them to accept to med school.
:)

No med school would realize you're in a grad program until they review your app and see that you either listed future smp courses or that you mentioned it somewhere else in the app, right? And they wouldn't review your app until you're app is complete anyway. So why deliberately point out to them that your app is incomplete (missing grad letter) when they wouldn't find out anyway until they get to your app? You can always add letters at anytime, so I'll do it once my appl is complete and waiting to be reviewed, and hopefully by that time, gtown will have letters ready...

Last edited:
For those three schools above, they all want one if you are "enrolled" in graduate school which means that even though they'll have all the letters listed on AMCAS, they will not have all the letters listed on their secondary.
:)

If you just list that you're enrolled in grad school w/o listing that another letter is to be expected, then I think your app would still be marked complete. The initial screening process wouldn't be thorough enough to detect that you actually are incomplete and need another letter...

If you just list that you're enrolled in grad school w/o listing that another letter is to be expected, then I think your app would still be marked complete. The initial screening process wouldn't be thorough enough to detect that you actually are incomplete and need another letter...
This is true but I don't think you can change a secondary once it's been submitted. I assume that's what the warnings before certification are for.

Where are the SMP alumni, anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks Easyrock, Goose.

Just when I say that Ive given up on the waitlist, Downstate sent me a letter today saying:

The defense department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid.

And below that, the class is full and you have been placed on our alternate list. Should a spot open up, blah, blah, blah...

I swear medical schools have a sixth sense for making applicants lives as difficult as possible.

Anyway, I am going to go ahead and continue to look for housing. In the slim chance I do get in to med school in the next month and half, hopefully all I will lose will be the deposit (and my Gtown deposit, and my AMCAS fee, and secondary fees, and my sanity. You get the idea.)

First of all, congrats to all those who got accepted!! :).
I have a question for all of those ppl who got accepted this year: Are you guys ready to take classes with medical students? Are you worried that you won't do well? How can you be so sure that you'll do well?
I'm scared that I won't do well.

First of all, congrats to all those who got accepted!! :).
I have a question for all of those ppl who got accepted this year: Are you guys ready to take classes with medical students? Are you worried that you won't do well? How can you be so sure that you'll do well?
I'm scared that I won't do well.

I can understand being anxious. But keep in mind the adcom would not have accepted you if they did not think you could not perform well in the program. They say so themselves. So don't sell yourself short.

There is no way to be sure that you'll do well; but, you can be confident that you will do your best.

St. Augustine said, "Where there is love, there is no labor." If this is what you love, then the rest will take care of itself. So have faith, study, and enjoy yourself. It's going to be a great year!

Vincent