Georgetown SMP, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
High priority people are usually those that get in eventually by July or right before the start of the program. So I'm sure you'll be there soon.

Good luck. Not sure why you are doing an SMP unless you're from a more competitive state like california, but I wish you well. In my home state you'd probably get in with those scores.

Finding housing is going to suck if they don't let me know soon.

As for why I'm doing the SMP: I had no idea what I was doing when I first started college. My last 4 semester GPAs were 3.65, 4.0, 4.0, and 3.87, so there's obviously an upward trend. But I'm self-conscious about the string of 3.0's that came before these semesters. So I think the SMP would help. Also, I've been at a job that I hate for the past two years. I can't take it anymore! I want to be back in school.

Also, I am not from California. I'm from NY.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello future physios,

This is for those who received the email notifying them of their adviser.

1. On the AMCAS, do we list the letter as a comittee letter, individual letter, or letter packet?

2. The Fall classes listed on the attachment do not match those listed on the website. The acceptance letter instructed us to use the website, and I have already submitted my AMCAS. I dont think you can edit this portion of the AMCAS. Is this going to be a problem?

individual letter. the smp advisor's letter cannot be used in lieu of an undergrad pre-med committee letter, so you still need that

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Goose.

How are you filling out the rest?

Primary contact's title

Primary Contact's email

Primary Contact's Phone #

Organization name

Address

Country

State

City

None of this was explicitly mentioned. So do I go find his emai land phone, for example, on the website?

Also re the address, if the city is DC, is the state also DC. The "State" drop down menue has an option for DC, then what do we write in for "city?"

Thanks, Goose.

Primary contact's title

Primary Contact's email

Organization name

Address

Country

State

City

None of this was explicitly mentioned. So do I go find his emai land phone, for example, on the website?

Also re the address, if the city is DC, is the state also DC. The "State" drop down menue has an option for DC, then what do we write in for "city?"

The city is Washington, state is DC.

A quick seach should bring up the necessary info for your advisor.

Thanks, Goose.

Primary contact's title

Primary Contact's email

Organization name

Address

Country

State

City

Washington.
Not that it matters, but I think it would be classified as a committee letter. He is not writing on behalf of himself but as a representative of the school, which is what it says on AMCAS. Shouldn't make a difference though.

so just to be clear. Please confirm the following ANYONE:

We are expected to enter our advisor's information under Letters of evaluation in AMCAS and assign this letter to the schools we are applying to.

And this means our applications won't be complete until those letters are sent in the late fall, but we are expected to complete our secondaries early so that they don't interfere with our studies during the program.

No, I did not fail geography. DC isnt a state. See, A+.

I spoke to an AMCAS rep, and she said you can always request to have the "type" of letter changed. So no worries if you're like me and you put individual letter.

I also emailed Cabiness, but no response as of yet.

And, I am still desperately looking for housing. I knwo Im not the only one. So lets get in touch.

ugh you made me go there...

The City of Washington was originally a separate municipality within the Territory of Columbia (as was the city of Georgetown) until the District of Columbia Organic Act of 1871 merged the city of Washington, the city of Georgetown, Washington County, and the Territory of Columbia into a single entity called the District of Columbia. It is for this reason that the city, while legally named the District of Columbia, is known as Washington, D.C. For the sake of convention, the "District of Columbia" is usually noted in the "State" drop down bar, and the "city" is "Washington" despite the fact that they are synonymous.

:laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Someone obviously failed geography. There's a reason its called Washington, D.C.

as in the City of washington in the District of Columbia.

That wasn't necessary. It's a valid question that confuses many people, myself included. Not until moving to the area and wanting to learn more about it did I discover what Goose so eloquently explained.

And, I am still desperately looking for housing. I knwo Im not the only one. So lets get in touch.

I just had a look at the listings on craigslist and found several great housing options, many of which were sub $1000. As far as location is concerned, the neighborhoods of Glover Park, Foxhall and Burleith are all adjacent to the university and north of it (medical school is on the north side). Can't go wrong with any of them.

If you were looking to live with other people from the program, check out the yahoo group postings. I believe there were a few that have gone up recently

I don't know if you have any other concerns/stipulations with housing, but, as I said before, feel free to ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
Re "type of letter": here is the email response I got today,

Vincent,

This is an individual letter.

Regards,

Andrew Holcomb
Georgetown SMP

individual letter. the smp advisor's letter cannot be used in lieu of an undergrad pre-med committee letter, so you still need that
Not that it matters, but I think it would be classified as a committee letter. He is not writing on behalf of himself but as a representative of the school, which is what it says on AMCAS.
booya.

Last edited:
A classic line from the cinematic masterpiece "Billy Madison." Its a good thing we'll be in the SMP together. You have so much to learn. Lesson #1": Adam Sandler's ealy movies are hilarious, and full of quotable quotes.

Homework for next week: shampoo or conditioner...which is better?

A classic line from the cinematic masterpiece "Billy Madison." Its a good thing we'll be in the SMP together. You have so much to learn. Lesson #1": Adam Sandler's ealy movies are hilarious, and full of quotable quotes.

Homework for next week: shampoo or conditioner...which is better?

HAHA.

Shampoo is better I go on first and cleeeean the hair. No! Conditioner is better, I leave the hair silky and smooth!

OH really FOOL!? REALLY!

WOW. ONe of the all time greatest movies ever made. HAHA.

Nothing like drunken impressions of Billy Madison...can't wait.

... Its a good thing we'll be in the SMP together. You have so much to learn...

I actually withdrew today. I got accepted into Temple's program with linkage and I really love Temple. Oh well, would have been fun, I'm sure.

Still havent heard from GT. I think imma go to EVMS!

This may have come up already, but I need to ask it again. None of the secondary prompts have changed since last year. I seriously want to reuse my essays for the schools I previously applied to. Thoughts? How many people are taking this approach? Anyone writing brand new essays?

So, some more news on the application front. After my app for G-town being "lost" aka "processing" for awhile, I received a high-priority waitlist spot. However, I will be attending the Cincy SMP this year (it was my first choice).

I just wanted to offer up some hope for people who haven't heard yet.... good luck to all!

And I am so glad I don't have to pay $40k in tuition!!!!!

So, some more news on the application front. After my app for G-town being "lost" aka "processing" for awhile, I received a high-priority waitlist spot. However, I will be attending the Cincy SMP this year (it was my first choice).

I just wanted to offer up some hope for people who haven't heard yet.... good luck to all!

And I am so glad I don't have to pay $40k in tuition!!!!!

Congratulations. Hope is something I think we all can appreciate. Is this a master's with linkage? Cincy has a great med school.

What are you doing for your secondaries, mic? I looked up some of the SDN re-app threads, and it seems that DrGuju was right: most people are re-using previous essays, esp. for questions that ask for your view on a particular topic. For example, the U Pitt promt asks you to riff on an ethical dilemma in you life. Nothing personal that requires an update.

Quite honestly, my stats were so lackluster that I cant imagine they even bothered reading my secondary. I had them at "hello."

And while we are on the subject, I really question the wisdom of applying prior/during the program. I am applying to U Pitt because it is one of the schools on the alumni list. But U Pitt is a top teir school. I have to believe the student was accepted after applying once the SMP was complete. In other words, if he is listed under the 2008 acceptances, he applied in 2007, having graduated in 2007. Make sense? What does my SMP crew think?

i think you need to chill

Not sure what you mean by that, Goose. I do plan on putting my trust in the program, and making the most of it--if that is chill. But, I am investing a lot of time, energy, and money in this application process, and SMP. I do not want to go through it again. Chilling is what got me in this position in the first place. Now I could use a strong dose of get-it-together.

What are your previous numbers that you are freaking out so badly?[/QUOTE]

Maybe my post read as if I was freaking out, but Im not. The knit-picking may have come off as desperate squirming. I only intended it to come off as completely anal. I just want to get it right. My numbers are OK I guess; I would rather not say specifically. I think I am jaded because I thought I had the cred to get in this past cycle. But no one was even remotely interested. In light of that, it seemed to me that re-applying with nearly the same application was a waste of time. All that has changed is that I have been accepted into this grad program. No new news yet. My pre-med adviser agreed. But I suppose if the program is as widely known as you say, then maybe schools would seriously consider an SMP app in the fall, or at the very least, hold off until early spring.

Now, about the whole rewriting secondaries thing. Why not? I can state that the secondaries and PS that I wrote this year are a quantum leap from the one I wrote last year. My views about healthcare, and my perspective, have changed ALOT.

It also matters what you have been doing since you applied last. My app has been significantly strengthened, despite not yet improving my GPA/MCAT. Literally, my whole past year has been dedicated to this improvement.The GPA is my one missing link, and I believe that good grades in my SMP will push me over the edge.

Ultimately, however, it is a crapshoot. No one can really predict what adcom's will do. Technically, applying after a SMP with good grades "should" be good assurance, but who is to know, and who is to predict whether or not you could have gotten in before?

As for me - I am going for it, since I don't want to be making payments on a combined $55k debt, that will be hanging over my head soon.

FYI, I wrote all new secondaries for this year. I also applied very early, and 75% of my applications are complete, and will soon be getting an update letter from the SMP director.

Oh, and do be focused and hard-working. You will need it. There are no "golden tickets" in the admissions process.

Not sure what you mean by that, Goose. I do plan on putting my trust in the program, and making the most of it--if that is chill. But, I am investing a lot of time, energy, and money in this application process, and SMP. I do not want to go through it again. Chilling is what got me in this position in the first place. Now I could use a strong dose of get-it-together.

It was a bit tongue in cheek but I was basically agreeing with you. Put your trust in the program and don't get too worked up yet. Yet being the key word (see below). Apologies if it came off with any malice

I think I am jaded because I thought I had the cred to get in this past cycle. But no one was even remotely interested. In light of that, it seemed to me that re-applying with nearly the same application was a waste of time. All that has changed is that I have been accepted into this grad program..

Now here, we are in the exact same boat. The only new thing is getting into this program and that doesn't really do anything. That's why I've been hesitant to submit secondaries. And when i thought about it - it doesn't really matter yet.

I think what its going to come down to is the fact that we will say we're in this program and list another letter coming from georgetown. The schools will then sit on our applications and they won't be considered "complete" until they get that letter and some fall grades. Then the letter goes out from our SMP advisor, and our applications become complete. So, at best, we are looking at getting reviewed quite late in the cycle and hopefully get late interviews and possibly a lot of waitlists.

It kind of sucks that we're held off until later on, but at the same time it makes sense. If we applied and were complete right now - then there's no difference from our unsuccessful cycle last year. So, frankly, I'd prefer them to not review my application until they get the SMP data. (I'm going to double check with the SMP staff to make sure my reasoning is right with the whole letter thing)

The "chill" message was basically just saying: we're starting down a long road and we have time to deal with this stuff (upitt for example) and discuss it with the faculty.

--congrats on the house by the way

Hey guys, incoming SMPer/"Physio". I feel a lot of your pain, as I had really decent numbers and didn't get any love in last year's cycle.

Some schools will consider your application complete once you have fulfilled their minimum LOR requirements, so you will not have to deal with a late-processed secondary due to an SMP letter arriving in the fall.

Other schools, though, like Univ. of Maryland (I called them and asked), say to not include your SMP advisor letter initially, so that your app will be processed faster, and then once the letter is ready in the fall, to send it to them (i.e. attach it to the school in AMCAS).

If your numbers have not changed from last year to this year, then the only way that will affect you is with the schools that screen applicant's by gpa. It is unfortunate, but true. Unless they are an SMP-friendly school, then even your fall SMP grades won't matter to them because it is not calculated into the AMCAS gpa, which they use to plug and chug. This is my understanding based on the info I have gathered from talking to various adcoms this past year. So you sort of have to not set your sight on getting into those schools (but by all means apply just in case).

As SMPers, our highest chances are with SMP-friendly schools. However, if you really want to go somewhere that screens apps based on numbers, then unfortunately you have to make getting into med school a long term goal for you because you need at least a year's worth of A's in many credits to boost your GPA to above 3.5-3.6 range (and have those grades calculated into AMCAS) to get past the gpa filters of the certain adcoms. On top of that, you have to find out if the school filters based only on undergraduate GPA or if they will factor in graduate GPA, because those that focus solely on undergrad gpa means that even an SMP might not help you with that school, and only a post-bac program will.

that's pretty much the reason why I think, for me at least, that holding off on secondaries might be the way to go. If they rejected me pre interview last year, then they'll do that same just as quickly despite being "accepted to the SMP"....maybe if i hold off and actually have some credentials to offer it would give a chance

Last edited:
So I have completed 14 secondaries so far (supp app + fee + LOR attachments). I attached my SMP advisor letter to most of the schools (still not sure if that was a good idea or bad idea). This morning I decided to call all of the schools to see how each will handle the fact that not all my LORs are in yet, and most of them said it will not be complete until all LORs are in. They said that if I wanted, I can tell the adcom to not wait for that last LOR, and just consider my app complete so it will be put in the queue to be reviewed by the committee. I told them to do that.

How are other incoming physios handling their SMP advisor LOR? Are you attaching that letter to your schools on AMCAS? Or not attaching it to the individual schools until you have the letter uploaded, at which point you will attach it?

So I have completed 14 secondaries so far (supp app + fee + LOR attachments). I attached my SMP advisor letter to most of the schools (still not sure if that was a good idea or bad idea). This morning I decided to call all of the schools to see how each will handle the fact that not all my LORs are in yet, and most of them said it will not be complete until all LORs are in. They said that if I wanted, I can tell the adcom to not wait for that last LOR, and just consider my app complete so it will be put in the queue to be reviewed by the committee. I told them to do that.

How are other incoming physios handling their SMP advisor LOR? Are you attaching that letter to your schools on AMCAS? Or not attaching it to the individual schools until you have the letter uploaded, at which point you will attach it?

Are we supposed to attach the letter? I have just been mailing out secondaries without the letter. If on the AMCAS you wrote to expect a second letter, and they havent received the SMP letter, wouldnt they assume your application is incomplete?

yes, it would be considered incomplete. which may be what you (me) wants until the letter goes out

yes, it would be considered incomplete. which may be what you (me) wants until the letter goes out

...You might actually be better if you have those updates of your SMP grades cuz that is what is going to make the difference.

so you two are going to let your application be incomplete until your SMP advisor sends the LOR in the fall?

I can understand why you are doing that, esp if your numbers haven't changed since last app cycle. It certainly is a trade-off. applying later, but bringing your grades to their attention before they have the opportunity to reject you. Do you guys think I should wait for the SMP letter, or tell the adcoms to process my app without the letter? I have a 33 (14, 10, 9) and a 3.48 cum, 3.38 BCPM, and am a re-applicant with no change in numbers but massive changes in everything else. Input certainly appreciated.

re-applicant with no change in numbers..that's my reason for holding off.

i wouldn't take any advice from an internet forum as the be all end all. do what you think is best

point taken. you are right that in the end, things usually fall into place so there is little need to worry over small things. i just want to make sure I am doing what is conventional because I have no precedent to base my decision on.

Ask DrJD if he is still around here. He might be able to help give advice as he's done this before.

alternatively: write up your secondary essays and sit on them. Then discuss all this in a week and a half with the program faculty to find out what is the convention.

EDIT: unless you are moving to DC the day of orientation, the staff are available in their offices too. PM me if you need directions

BTW do any of you guys know anything about the area near GWU or only near Gtown in terms of places to live?? My ex roommate is asking cuz she needs to figure out where is a good place to live. Do you recommend she move closer to Arlington VA or stay in DC itself or go to maryland even?

Rosslyn seems like a really nice place to live and it's right across the river and it's very well connected by public transportation. There is a major metro station there and several lines connect there.

GWU is only a few metro stops from the Rosslyn station and Gtown is a short shuttle ride.

Rosslyn is the name of a neighborhood within Arlington, VA.

Foggy Bottom aka GWU is only one stop on the metro from Rosslyn. That being said, Rosslyn is pretty expensive too (foggy bottom is really expensive as well). If you want to go cheaper, then go a little deeper into Virginia at places around metro stations like Ballston or Court House...A group house with grad students/young professionals in georgetown might be a good way to go as well...maybe with some smpers

In terms of metro access, maryland is probably not the way to go because you would need to transfer to a different metro line (red line is maryland, to orange/blue going to foggy bottom).

Last edited:
Ask DrJD if he is still around here. He might be able to help give advice as he's done this before.

Hey, I'm sorry I've been so absent. I've been travelling (read: Driving) between Arkansas and DC quite a bit to visit my wife. Long story!! Good news is my last drive is this week and then I will be in Arkansas full time.

So, I'm hoping to be around on the computer this week to continue answering some of you guys questions. If you PMed me, I promise I'll get back to you in the next couple days.

If any of you have any questions for someone who just graduated and haven't asked them already, feel free to post them here and I will answer them in a day or two! (Probably not tomorrow as I will be on the road.)

As to the application question, it is to your advantage that they wait to look at your app as late in the cycle as possible. (Because then it will have more SMP grades on there.) In fact, the letter that goes out from Dr. Mulroney at the beginning of the year specifically asks them to wait to consider you. Don't worry, many people get in using this system. If in doubt, they will definitely address the application issues during orientation! Also, they will give many open moments where you can ask them these questions too. They generally give good answers I think!

Anyway, feel free to ask questions, and I will answer them soon! Congrats again everyone!

Anybody have the foggiest ball park estimate of the chances I can get off the waitlist at Gtown between now and orientation, or when classes start? As directed on the website, I sent them a letter stating that I would absolutely come if accepted in the next few weeks. As of now I'm goin to BUmams. Thanks for responses.

that's not really an appropriate question for a random internet forum. Even if someone gave an answer, it would be BS. Best bet is to call up the faculty and ask or sit tight. orientation is thurs. aug 6th and class begin the following monday FYI

Anybody have the foggiest ball park estimate of the chances I can get off the waitlist at Gtown between now and orientation, or when classes start? As directed on the website, I sent them a letter stating that I would absolutely come if accepted in the next few weeks. As of now I'm goin to BUmams. Thanks for responses.

Hey Wizard,

I found this on the Georgetown SMP web site:

"If you are on the waitlist in late July/early August and are sure you will come if accepted, please let us know, as this will put you in our final select pool."

Not only would it not hurt to get in contact with the administration, it may actually increase your chances. Letting them know you would absolutely attend makes them more inclined to accept you should a spot open up. You'll notice there is a link provided. This link opens up to an email composition, whose address is [email protected]. I have written to this address and responses have often come from Andrew Holcomb, or I think occasionally Adam Myers. Both men are involved in running the SMP. So essentially you would be speaking with the dean(s) of the program.

Today, I spoke with someone who said he was just recently accepted into the program. If you want to use that as some sort of barometer, then you could infer positions are still opening up. Remember, alot of us, including myself, are still on waitlists. Medical schools will leave you on a waitlist until the very first day of classes. So, spots can potentially open up at any time. Good luck.

This LOR situation is KILLING me. EVMS wants one, Wake Forest wants one, MCW wants one, SUNY Downstate wants one, SUNY Upstate wants one too. I get past the screenings at two of those schools and now I'm incomplete because they want the letter. Wake Forest gave me an ultimatum to get it within 3 weeks.

If they've been doing this for so long, how come they wait until August to send these letters? Modernize, people!

/rant

Last edited:
This LOR situation is KILLING me. EVMS wants one, Wake Forest wants one, MCW wants one, SUNY Downstate wants one, SUNY Upstate wants one too. I get past the screenings at two of those schools and now I'm incomplete because they want the letter. Wake Forest gave me an ultimatum to get it within 3 weeks.

Fill out the secondaries before I arrive? Fantastic idea! I agree. Too bad I can't because of bureaucracy.

If they've been doing this for so long, how come they wait until August to send these letters? Modernize, people! And I just realized I've been writing the name of my advisor, but it's really Mulroney who will be sending out the first letter so I have to call all the schools to change it even though it's Georgetown who told me to write the name of my advisor in the first place. FML.

/rant

PS, I know some of my classmates had issues with Wake Forest because of some new requirements that started last year. But I know that the office at the SMP took the names of those people who applied to Wake so they could take care of everything. Don't worry it will get taken care of!

Also, it is a GOOD thing that you won't be complete until they get those letters. Let me put it this way, if you think it would be a good thing to be complete right now then you shouldn't be in the SMP because that means that you feel that your application is strong enough to get admitted without any grades from the SMP.

So be patient, many of my classmates interviewed at and were accepted to EVMS later in the year!

Does anyone know when the Grad Plus Loan is supposed to be disbursed? I received the tuition bill with the other federal loans, but I'm getting nervous because the GradPlus also will provide my spending money. Has this loan shown up for other people? Is there something else that we're supposed to be doing that I don't know about?

Thanks.

Ah our resident Obi Wan is back! I thought you would've jumped ship to prepare for life in Little Rock :)

Always good to hear from an SMP survivor, but it's frustrating to think that we're paying a lot of money for them to help us and here we are sitting on our hands for a several weeks.

Hey all - DrJD does an outstanding job answering the questions and his advice is spot on.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to help everyone who is out there on the SMP waitlist or admitted to the program and getting nervous about applications to med school.

For those on the waitlists: Every year there is traditionally a LOT of movement on the waitlist as the summer goes by. People get accepted to medical schools right up to the day the classes start. Some of these people will be holding spots in the SMP. That will open up seats in the class. I had classmates who were admitted up to a week after the school year began (one of them even got into Georgetown Med with me - getting in a bit late is NOT a serious disadvantage.)

I can absolutely confirm that if you are *certain* you would go to the SMP if admitted, TELL THEM. They have to fill a class, and if they have two applicants who are on the waitlist and they know for a fact that one of them will come and they aren't sure about the other - which one do you think they will take?

For anyone who doesn't get in to any SMP: The people at Gtown are VERY committed to helping people become physicians if that is their dream. I know that sounds a little pie-in-the-sky, but I've known these people for 4.5 years now and I can certify that it is true. If you don't get accepted somewhere, contact them and ask. I would wait a couple months - they're going to be VERY busy getting their new class put together, but they would be happy to sit with you in person, or talk over the phone and suggest ways you could strengthen your application for next year.

For those who have been accepted: I know it is difficult to sit and wait, but that really is what you should be doing right now. Get your secondaries done ASAP so you don't have to worry about them during the program, and then sit back and enjoy the rest of your summer. They have been doing this for decades now, and they know what they are doing. They have very good relationships with medical schools across the country and if you do have any problems with schools wanting letters or anything else, they can work it out for you.

You may feel anxious that your application is being put on hold, but don't worry. The vast majority of programs are still filling seats well into the next calendar year. There will be room for you. The reason they are putting you on hold is because they know the SMP and they know the kinds of students it puts out. They know that if they wait a few months, they'll be able to see some of your grades and know what kind of student you are. By Feb/March of 2010, you and your classmates will get interviews, don't worry. And, over half of you will get in that year. For those of you who don't, its almost an advantage: if you have to wait a year, you will have a full year's grades to apply with - many of my classmates who didn't get in their first year after SMP went on to some VERY good schools - schools they had no real shot at during their Physio year.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. Take their advice seriously and when they tell you you should be doing something - get it done. When they tell you to relax and not worry about something - focus on the things you need to be doing. It will turn out fine. Despite me saying this, you are all still going to worry about all this anyway, and after the year is over, you will all realize that you pretty much worried over nothing.

Regardless, I'm sorry for the long-windedness of this post - I post so infrequently I wanted to get everything in. And I wish you all the best of luck whether you go to the SMP or do something else. Always remember, medicine is a calling, and if you feel the call, you will find a way.