Georgetown SMP 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete 1/28, accepted 1/31. I be like dang!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey GorgeousBorges,

Can you share with us your stats?

Complete 1/28, accepted 1/31. I be like dang!

Did you get the official acceptance from the graduate school, or the email saying that SMP committee will be recommending admissions for the grad school?

If the former, how long did it take to get the second email (from the Grad school) after the first one (from the SMP committee)? I wonder what the grad school needs to authenticate before extending an admissions offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey GorgeousBorges,

Can you share with us your stats?

3.40 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA, 38R MCAT (13PS, 13VR, 12 BS).

My stats are a little bit high for an SMP, but my GPA has a crappy trend (my final semester was pretty rough but I subsequently got it together on the MCAT). I applied to 15 schools this cycle, not really all that selective ones either, and I haven't received a single interview. My ECs are okay but not spectacular, 50 hours of shadowing, 300 hours of clinical volunteering, 2.5 years of research experience without a publication but with a first-author paper currently in preparation.

Last edited:
Did you get the official acceptance from the graduate school, or the email saying that SMP committee will be recommending admissions for the grad school?

If the former, how long did it take to get the second email (from the Grad school) after the first one (from the SMP committee)? I wonder what the grad school needs to authenticate before extending an admissions offer?

I got the first email. I too wonder what they need to authenticate.

I got the first email. I too wonder what they need to authenticate.

I'm not sure what exactly they need to authenticate but I received the first acceptance email 12/13 and then I received this second one on 12/20 :

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences has rendered an official decision on your application for the Physiology and Biophysics-Special Masters in Physiology Program (M.S.) program for the Fall 2013 term. In order to view your decision letter, please login to your secure, online application (https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=gtu-g) with your PIN and password.

When you log in, it's the official acceptance letter.

I'm going to apply using my AMCAS app from this year also but I have taken classes and continued volunteering to try to beef up my app for next cycle.

Where should I update GTown with this info? Should I upload my AMCAS as directed and complete another document and upload it into Supplemental Data Forms?

I tried to call but they are closed for the weekend (darn time zones!)

I'm going to apply using my AMCAS app from this year also but I have taken classes and continued volunteering to try to beef up my app for next cycle.

Where should I update GTown with this info? Should I upload my AMCAS as directed and complete another document and upload it into Supplemental Data Forms?

I tried to call but they are closed for the weekend (darn time zones!)

I don't know but it definitely sounds like something you would want to include! You could maybe email the program manager a CV and ask that it be used in place of the AMCAS for some things. I was considering doing the same thing myself after I submitted my application but then I was accepted before I had a chance. I'm sure it's a pretty common thing.

Got the official email from Graduate School of Arts and Sciences today. Officially accepted!

Received the "unofficial" first email today with my acceptance. So happy! Is anyone 100% sure on attending in the fall?

Hey guys, whats the lowest MCAT someone's gotten into georgetown smp with? just wondering :)

Received my unofficial acceptance today! So happy!

Do you guys think I'd have a good chance if I apply within this week? Stats: 3.3 cGPA 3.0 sGPA, MCAT 28R. Currently revising my PS but got everything else filled out in the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think I'd have a good chance if I apply within this week? Stats: 3.3 cGPA 3.0 sGPA, MCAT 28R. Currently revising my PS but got everything else filled out in the application.

Your cGPA and sGPA are just fine for the program, although MCAT is a little low. You've got a decent shot I think, but you may want to retake the MCAT before you go even if you get in. SMPs can help you make up for a low GPA but not so much for a low MCAT.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm retaking the MCAT this May. Fortunately, I've been scoring in the low to mid 30s with the full length AAMC practice exams, so I'm hoping to send the scores to G-town if they let me.

Your cGPA and sGPA are just fine for the program, although MCAT is a little low. You've got a decent shot I think, but you may want to retake the MCAT before you go even if you get in. SMPs can help you make up for a low GPA but not so much for a low MCAT.

Izziee, when was your app marked as complete?

GT received all of my materials last Tuesday (1/29) and I got an email this Monday (2/4) confirming my application was complete and my file was under review.

GT received all of my materials last Tuesday (1/29) and I got an email this Monday (2/4) confirming my application was complete and my file was under review.

Thanks. I was just curious because my app was completed this past Tuesday (Feb 5) and now I'm just waiting. *crosses fingers*

Graduating this year in May with a cGPA 2.7 GPA sGPA 2.8 wrote MCAT last year scored a 36, I do have an upward academic trend getting all A's in my courses so far this semester. Does my GPA prevent me from any chance of acceptance for any SMP program. I am unfortunately a Canadian citizen and graduating from University of British Columbia.
My ultimate goal is to gain admission into a US DO school as I know most US MD programs will not accept internationals. Do you think this is still an attainable goal?
Thoughts/Opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
Graduating this year in May with a cGPA 2.7 GPA sGPA 2.8 wrote MCAT last year scored a 36, I do have an upward academic trend getting all A's in my courses so far this semester. Does my GPA prevent me from any chance of acceptance for any SMP program. I am unfortunately a Canadian citizen and graduating from University of British Columbia.
My ultimate goal is to gain admission into a US DO school as I know most US MD programs will not accept internationals. Do you think this is still an attainable goal?
Thoughts/Opinions would be greatly appreciated...

You need a minimum 3.0 cGPA to be considered for admission to the graduate school (they run the SMP program).

If your ultimate goal is to get into a DO school, do a DO SMP.

Got my email today. Waitlisted. Any hope still? 3.16 cgpa and 3.10 sci gpa
31Q Mcat. 3.71 sci gpa in last 60 units upper division neurobio, chemistry, and biochem.

Got my email today. Waitlisted. Any hope still? 3.16 cgpa and 3.10 sci gpa
31Q Mcat. 3.71 sci gpa in last 60 units upper division neurobio, chemistry, and biochem.

You will likely get in late... probably late June or early July. I was in a similar situation in 2010.

You will likely get in late... probably late June or early July. I was in a similar situation in 2010.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah looking through older posts it does look like most of the wait list movement happens around June/July.

Im applying to some other programs such as UNT, RFU, Tufts, and BU as well but haven't heard back from them yet.

Ill be declining my acceptance as well so I hope it goes to you bilail!

Waitlisted also. Is there any way to get off the waitlist before June or July?

are you guys declining the acceptance because of different smp programs or due to acceptance to a medical school? just curious :/

are you guys declining the acceptance because of different smp programs or due to acceptance to a medical school? just curious :/

I'm declining the program due to an acceptance to the University of Cincinnati SMP, which I've decided I prefer for several reasons.

I recently interviewed at a medical school so I'm desperately hoping that works out. If it doesn't, I'm going to attend a different SMP program. I don't really want to post the reasons because I'm worried it would seem like I'm bashing the Gtown SMP. I know it has an amazing reputation and I'm sure it's a great option for most people. I just prefer some other ones for my own reasons.

If you need to know, PM me.

please elaborate

I preferred the Cincinnati SMP because it has a significantly higher success rate for same-year applications and because if you get into University of Cincinnati from the program you'll just pay in-state tuition for all four years. Also I'd rather remain in the midwest and the cost of living in DC is very high.

Georgetown is a great program, and the students who manage to absolutely kill the Georgetown SMP are richly rewarded (people have gotten into Case Western, University of Chicago, University of Michigan and other great schools coming from the program). But I really have a burning desire to get in same-year, and the best way to do that is by getting an acceptance from the host school. I think that Cincinnati gives me the best chance to do that.

I preferred the Cincinnati SMP because it has a significantly higher success rate for same-year applications and because if you get into University of Cincinnati from the program you'll just pay in-state tuition for all four years. Also I'd rather remain in the midwest and the cost of living in DC is very high.

Georgetown is a great program, and the students who manage to absolutely kill the Georgetown SMP are richly rewarded (people have gotten into Case Western, University of Chicago, University of Michigan and other great schools coming from the program). But I really have a burning desire to get in same-year, and the best way to do that is by getting an acceptance from the host school. I think that Cincinnati gives me the best chance to do that.

I'm in the same situation as you Gorgeous, but still having a pretty hard time deciding. My deadline for accepting at UCin is 3/14, Georgetown not for another month after that, so I've really got some thinking to do this week.

I'm in the same situation as you Gorgeous, but still having a pretty hard time deciding. My deadline for accepting at UCin is 3/14, Georgetown not for another month after that, so I've really got some thinking to do this week.

Do keep in mind that Cincinnati's deposit is refundable as long as they can find someone on the waitlist to take your spot by July 1st. You don't actually have to make your decision by March 14th.

Do you guys know how late they accept people until?

Do you guys know how late they accept people until?

The application deadline for Georgetown SMP is May 15th, although supporting materials may be received after that. You can submit your app to Georgetown SMP now and tell them that you're taking the MCAT and they'll hold your app until they get your score. In fact, Georgetown in theory would even review your app in July if you took the MCAT in June.

All of this information is on their website. You should really just read this page:

http://smp.georgetown.edu/admissions/

thanks!
i'm not sure why i didn't already know that - since i've read that page twice already. I think the disappointing results have put me into panic mode

This isn't really specific to Georgetown, but I'm doing their app at the moment so thought I'd ask here.

Just got my mcat scores, and I did terribly - 26 (9ps/8vr/9bs). I'm planning on retaking May 23rd. Should I put this score on my application and maybe briefly explain it? Or should I leave it out and just send them both scores when the may 23rd test score is released? I hope to submit my application this week or next week.

This isn't really specific to Georgetown, but I'm doing their app at the moment so thought I'd ask here.

Just got my mcat scores, and I did terribly - 26 (9ps/8vr/9bs). I'm planning on retaking May 23rd. Should I put this score on my application and maybe briefly explain it? Or should I leave it out and just send them both scores when the may 23rd test score is released? I hope to submit my application this week or next week.
I have a 26 mcat score and recently decided to retake the mcat in June. I submitted my app last week and received an email from the adcom asking if I was planning on retaking it. I think you should mention that you are going to take it again so that they hold your application until your May mcat scores are released.

Come on, man. Already answered two posts above you.

Is anyone definitely going to do the Georgetown SMP next year?

Is there anyone graduating from Georgetown's SMP in 2013 available for questions via PM?

I graduated from the SMP in 2012, and I'm headed to MD school next fall (class of 2017). I'd be happy to answer questions.

How does Georgetown look upon their reapplicants to this program?

How does Georgetown look upon their reapplicants to this program?

Well, I suppose it depends on what you did since your last application - ideally you took some undergraduate level courses to bolster your sGPA and ideally improved your MCAT (these are typical reasons not to get into a specific SMP). I would encourage you to apply broadly to SMP and SMP-like programs. While it can be disheartening to not get into a specific program, not getting into any such program is concerning since, in theory, it should be easier to get into an SMP than medical school (which of course is the ultimate goal).