Georgetown SMP 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Izzee- Yes I am

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i received my acceptance today (got the "your app is under review" email on 02/26).

cGPA 3.55, sGPA 3.3 MCAT 30R
still not sure if I will be attending though.

I just recently decided to decline my acceptance for this fall - I hope it goes to one of you guys! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew acceptance today. I hope it goes to one of you guys!!!

Hey guys,

My app for 2014 is complete as of today, but haven't gotten a review email yet. I'm applying to all the George Mason programs too and already got into the ABS (pretty sure anyone with the stats gets in).

I have a 3.18 cGPA and 2.92 sGPA with a "V" trend. Started out 3.97 GPA, transferred, went down to 2.3, back up to 3.6. Currently have all As in 17 credits. I worked full-time as a coordinator for a Medical Scribe program for the past 3 years, which screwed my gpa until I realized I had to stop working. I also do research at the Uniformed Services University med school and have a publication pending. Do you think I have a chance?

I'm applying with a GRE since I'm taking the MCAT Aug 2nd. I have a 313. 80th percentile in Verbal, 60th in Quant, and 73rd in writing.

Here's to hoping for some good news.

Also waitlisted. I was surprised to even get a waitlist because I was rejected from the G2SMP. At least there's still hope.

Has anyone on the waitlist for Georgetown ever tried anything to "expedite" their acceptance? i.e. sending in updates (what other updates besides GPA/MCAT could you send in? Additional recommendations?), calling in to talk to the directors of the program, etc.

Any input would be appreciated. I know the waitlist moves quickly, but I was just curious.

Thanks!

So I sent a letter of intent/interest in last week. I got a reply saying that they are only waiting on my current semester grades, and that is why I was placed on the waitlist.

From what she was saying it sounds like they don't fill the waitlist on a "continuous" basis, such as every person that withdraws their acceptance goes directly to the next person on the waitlist... it sounds like they review all the waitlisted apps after a few weeks and fill the spots that have been turned down that way.

If have a 3.4sGPA and low MCAT score, do you think it's beneficial to apply and attend the program?

I understand that I have to raise my MCAT no matter what, but do you think this program will still benefit me if I apply for med school this summer?

Accepted yesterday, but haven't received the official email yet, only that my acceptance was recommended by the SMP committee.

Waitlisted 2/21 and accepted yesterday May 8th. Deciding between here and Boston.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do anything to get reviewed quicker? Waitlisted also.

Waitlisted 2/21 and accepted yesterday May 8th. Deciding between here and Boston.

Hey, I was in the same position until recently. I've decided on Georgetown because the program is only 1 year, whereas I'd have to stay an extra summer if I went to BU. Even if you do a library thesis, you have to allow 2-3 months to finish it over the summer. Georgetown's program is pretty clean cut, graduating in May. Also, I'm applying to med school this year and Georgetown encourages that, even giving us a list of schools to apply to. I didn't get the feeling BU encouraged same-year application.

Is there anyone here who did the SMP, and ended up at Georgetown Med in the MD program? It'd be great to hear your experience and why you thought you were ultimately successful as compared to those who were not accepted to the MD program after the SMP.

Just as a heads up, you do not need the MCAT... I am currently in the program (procrastinating studying for a cardiopulmonary exam), and have yet to take the MCAT. I applied late in the cycle w/ pretty good GRE scores and somehow managed to get in, so it's worth applying. I believe there are a few others in the same boat here as well. Preparing adequately for the MCAT during the program though would be virtually impossible, IMHO. I'm taking it after the program ends, and applying shortly thereafter. Hope that helps.

Can you please share your GRE score stats?

So I sent a letter of intent/interest in last week. I got a reply saying that they are only waiting on my current semester grades, and that is why I was placed on the waitlist.

From what she was saying it sounds like they don't fill the waitlist on a "continuous" basis, such as every person that withdraws their acceptance goes directly to the next person on the waitlist... it sounds like they review all the waitlisted apps after a few weeks and fill the spots that have been turned down that way.

Have you heard back from the SMP program?

Hi all,

I was just accepted into this program yesterday after being waitlisted :) they were waiting for my MCAT score so I guessed they were pleased hah. I'll probably be starting here unless Tulane's ACP program accepts me soon, but anyway just letting you know the waitlist is still moving!

Hi all,

I was just accepted into this program yesterday after being waitlisted :) they were waiting for my MCAT score so I guessed they were pleased hah. I'll probably be starting here unless Tulane's ACP program accepts me soon, but anyway just letting you know the waitlist is still moving!

Your stats please

Just got an e-mail about an hour ago, I was accepted into the program.

Formally complete: 5/14
cGPA: ~ 3.3
BCPM GPA: ~3.3
MCAT: 35R

Edit: Oops, realized that I posted this in last year's Georgetown thread.

Last edited:
Have you heard back from the SMP program?

I am still waitlisted, sent an email last week to see where I am. Hoping the fact that I'm still on the waitlist and not rejected off it is a good sign..

Accepted off the waitlist today! There's still hope if you're still on it.

Hi everyone, I just got accepted to this program a few weeks ago. If anyone is looking for a roommate (22 year old male), let me know.

Can anyone tell when should one apply for the 2014 SMP? Also, my MCAT will expire next year, so should I take it again before applying ? What if the new mcat is worse than 38 I have?