Georgetown SMP 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I already posted this in the sticky, but just to make sure it gets seen:

I would appreciate some advice regarding my situation.

I have a 3.59 cgpa, 3.25 bcpm, 33M MCAT (11-11-11). I applied to all my state schools and some out of state (NY), but have not gotten any interviews. It seems more and more likely that I won't be accepted this year. My applications weren't marked complete until december. I submitted secondaries in October (totally my fault, but I needed to get some cash together). My ECs are decent, not great. I have some hospital volunteering <100 hrs, some shadowing/medical internships (altogether, my clinical experience/patient contact is solid, I think), some community service (fundraising, tutoring), about 1 year clinical research with 1 publication, leadership (president of a religious club, organized some interfaith activities and charity fundraisers, etc), I also have some other activities that are more like hobbies.

I know my bcpm is really weak. I'm a Biology major, so taking more classes wouldn't impact my bcpm much, and I graduated in 2010 anyway. Would a special master's be a good route to go? Would I have a shot at Georgetown? Would it help me get into an MD school in the US? I only hesitate because it's awfully expensive, but I'd be willing to take out loans if it would help my chances significantly. Or should I just reapply this year and try to be complete earlier? Would being enrolled in an SMP help my chances if I apply while enrolled?
I wouldn't do the SMP with stats like those Abe. Your MCAT is good, your stats seem dece. Maybe it's your school list. Blowing 60K on an SMP is a waste of your money/year.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone made a Facebook group for those who have been accepted and are planning on attending?

Just wondering!

Members don't see this ad :)
3.5 c/GPA
3.29 BCPM
32R MCAT (12P/9V/11B)

My senior year was definitely my worst year though. I know medical schools like seeing upwards trends, but do I have a decent shot at this SMP?

Last edited:
It is possible to get in with a sub-3.0, but the program will need to get a waiver from the graduate school. That said, other aspects of your application should essentially 'make up' for your sub-3.0 in order for them to want you. How low is your GPA? How are your ECs? These things matter. Your MCAT score will play a big part in your acceptance as well.

Is there any way for you to raise your GPA to 3.0 before starting? I ask because this may help you with your medical school applications.

I would say that in order to be accepted with a below 3.0 you need to have a very strong application otherwise. But this is just my guess

39P (12VR/14PS/13BS) and 2.67 GPA from Princeton (which includes a letter on its grade deflation policy with every transcript, but still...not good). I'm taking 4 upper level (2 for graduate credit) science classes to raise my GPA, but even then it will fall short of a 3.0.

I've done some volunteering in the past, but nothing recent. Am I screwed?

Last edited:
whatwedo, awesome MCAT score! It wouldn't hurt to apply, bu of course, make sure your application is as best as possible (LORs, personal statement, etc.) besides the gpa. I would also suggest applying to other SMPs for back up.

daysaway, obviously you do according to the website.

Gah! I've put off applying until now. I'm quite late to the party, huh. There are still spots left right? :D

Gah! I've put off applying until now. I'm quite late to the party, huh. There are still spots left right? :D

Absolutely. The surge of applications to the program has not occurred yet so the majority of the slots are still available. However, I would get your application in right away as waiting longer may increase the chance of being put on a waitlist.

39P (12VR/14PS/13BS) and 2.67 GPA from Princeton (which includes a letter on its grade deflation policy with every transcript, but still...not good). I'm taking 4 upper level (2 for graduate credit) science classes to raise my GPA, but even then it will fall short of a 3.0.

I've done some volunteering in the past, but nothing recent. Am I screwed?

Hey whatwedo, sorry for such a delay in response. For courses I think you should have taken all undergraduate credit; graduate courses will not help you right now. If you were to get your cGPA up to a 2.9 or higher then I would say that you have an excellent change of getting in to a SMP. Your MCAT proves that you are capable, but that GPA definitely needs improvement.

Is there any way that you can hold off on a SMP and crank out a few more upper-level undergraduate science courses to raise your GPA as high as possible (hopefully to 3.0) while showing a upward trend? Of course in a time-line that doesn't let that MCAT expire; I am not sure when you took it.

I just stress the close-to-as-possible 3.0 GPA because despite getting into a SMP you have to also think about getting into medical schools after the program. It would be a shame to have your application, which may be strong otherwise, tossed aside because of your GPA.

Absolutely. The surge of applications to the program has not occurred yet so the majority of the slots are still available. However, I would get your application in right away as waiting longer may increase the chance of being put on a waitlist.
Thanks for the response. I pumped out my personal statement today. As you can see, I've been switched on :D

A little worried about the recommendations though; those will take a while to get together.

Also, you seem to have pretty solid stats - do you mind sharing?

My app went review a little over a week ago. The website says 4-6 weeks but curious to know from someone who has heard already how long it took for them? Thanks.

futurchirurgien, I was more referring to the fact that I had a downwards trend in GPA, due to my major classes taking up most of my senior year. I know programs such as this one like to see an upwards trend, but I didn't know if that would affect me getting into the program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey whatwedo, sorry for such a delay in response. For courses I think you should have taken all undergraduate credit; graduate courses will not help you right now. If you were to get your cGPA up to a 2.9 or higher then I would say that you have an excellent change of getting in to a SMP. Your MCAT proves that you are capable, but that GPA definitely needs improvement.

Is there any way that you can hold off on a SMP and crank out a few more upper-level undergraduate science courses to raise your GPA as high as possible (hopefully to 3.0) while showing a upward trend? Of course in a time-line that doesn't let that MCAT expire; I am not sure when you took it.

I just stress the close-to-as-possible 3.0 GPA because despite getting into a SMP you have to also think about getting into medical schools after the program. It would be a shame to have your application, which may be strong otherwise, tossed aside because of your GPA.

Thanks for the response. The 2 "graduate" courses can be taken for graduate or undergraduate credit, and I realized that it would help me more to have it as undergrad, so I've already made that change. I'm taking some more science (physics 1&2 pre-reqs) courses in the summer session, which should hopefully get my GPA around 3.0, but waiting another year isn't really an option. I took the MCAT just one month ago, but the whole point of an SMP is to not wait another year to get started on med school, really (as well as helping me get into the med school of my choice, of course).

Is there any special process I have to go through (talking to admissions officers, etc.) to ensure that my application is actually processed and not just tossed aside at first glance? That's really the main thing I'm worried about. I have some good LoRs and personal essay, and I think I can get in somewhere if my application is really reviewed. I just want to ensure that my application isn't dismissed cursorily.

If you really want to get into this SMP I would write a letter of intent saying that you really would like to attend here. One of my friends in the program now didn't get in until the summer off the waitlist. But one of the big factors I think was his letter of intent, but he also moved here early and enrolled in summer school courses in Biochem and Physiology. The faculty/admissions people here said they were really impressed by that. I think it's an extreme scenario but it worked out for him. But just as a reminder for all of you, a SMP is no joke. I have worked my butt off at Georgetown all year. The med students are med students for a reason so don't expect to get by with a curve. Averages on exams are like 83% to 86% and getting B's won't get you into the med school of your choice. Best of luck to everyone! Let me know if you have any other questions about the SMP or anything in general. :thumbup:

Thanks for the response. The 2 "graduate" courses can be taken for graduate or undergraduate credit, and I realized that it would help me more to have it as undergrad, so I've already made that change. I'm taking some more science (physics 1&2 pre-reqs) courses in the summer session, which should hopefully get my GPA around 3.0, but waiting another year isn't really an option. I took the MCAT just one month ago, but the whole point of an SMP is to not wait another year to get started on med school, really (as well as helping me get into the med school of my choice, of course).

Is there any special process I have to go through (talking to admissions officers, etc.) to ensure that my application is actually processed and not just tossed aside at first glance? That's really the main thing I'm worried about. I have some good LoRs and personal essay, and I think I can get in somewhere if my application is really reviewed. I just want to ensure that my application isn't dismissed cursorily.

If you really want to get into this SMP I would write a letter of intent saying that you really would like to attend here. One of my friends in the program now didn't get in until the summer off the waitlist. But one of the big factors I think was his letter of intent, but he also moved here early and enrolled in summer school courses in Biochem and Physiology. The faculty/admissions people here said they were really impressed by that. I think it's an extreme scenario but it worked out for him. But just as a reminder for all of you, a SMP is no joke. I have worked my butt off at Georgetown all year. The med students are med students for a reason so don't expect to get by with a curve. Averages on exams are like 83% to 86% and getting B's won't get you into the med school of your choice. Best of luck to everyone! Let me know if you have any other questions about the SMP or anything in general. :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice. How would I go about sending the letter of intent? Would I send it separate from my normal application?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sold on Georgetown (especially given its cost vs. VCU), but it seems to be the oldest and most well-respected SMP out there. Would you say an SMP from Georgetown would be looked at more favorably than one from VCU, BU, or Temple?

Can one apply to med schools this upcoming cycle and be enrolled in SMP this coming fall, and have the SMP coursework count towards this app cycle?

Can one apply to med schools this upcoming cycle and be enrolled in SMP this coming fall, and have the SMP coursework count towards this app cycle?

Yes, a lot of people do that. You would just list the SMP as future work. The Gtown SMP website shows you how to classify the courses you will take.

Got waitlisted today. They responded in almost exactly 4 weeks after I received the complete email.

Got waitlisted today. They responded in almost exactly 4 weeks after I received the complete email.
Oh well at least its waitlist and not a reject! I am about to apply to it soon (hopefully turn in that app in the next couple weeks.
What were your stats (if you don't mind me asking)? Thanks!

Just got an unofficial acceptance today! Woot! Was pretty scared about a rejection with my stats and being an international and all...now to sort out the finances to go!

is there a way to get our 500 deposit back if we get accepted to MD or other smp programs? I currently have a pretty decent position on a waitlist and is also applying to other smp programs with higher linkage... the deadline for me to make a decision on georgetown is mid april but I probably I wont hear anything about the waitlist by that date

I'm planning to turn in my app within this next week and have the supplemental materials in the week after that...but after reading some of your guys' replies, am I too late already?

I had assumed I had more time because of the May 15th deadline...

waitlisted... hmmmph. Got into Columbia IHN, Northwestern MSEB, Tulane MS Pharmacology. Nice to have options at least. Probably will pull my waitlist spot soon. Good luck everyone.

I'm planning to turn in my app within this next week and have the supplemental materials in the week after that...but after reading some of your guys' replies, am I too late already?

I had assumed I had more time because of the May 15th deadline...

Same situation.

To those accepted what's the roommate situation for most of you, and what sort of rents should we expect? I've never lived in the DC area, so have no clue what student housing rents are like...

Best of luck to those on the wait list or applying currently! Hopefully see you guys in the fall.

I applied to the Georgetown SMP in February- got a letter from Amy Richards on Marth 29th saying that they will let me know in 3-4 wks.

-32O (10V/9P/13B)
-Largest MN School (Neuroscience BS), grad: May 2011
-3.56 BCPM & 3.678 Overall (worst grades were freshman yr/high school post secondary courses, got near a 4.0 senior year)
-Junior Scientist for the last yr in a Myeloma Lab on campus, same lab that i volunteered in and did research for credit for 2 yrs as an undergad)
-2 publications, waiting for submission, 2 accepted abstracts and 2 presentations
-300+ hours volunteering at local hospital
-Resident Advisor my senior year
-BIGGEST MISSING FACTOR (as told by many ppl who looked at my amcas, and my states largest medical school admissions office): lack of direct patient experience

I applied to 15 schools for the 2012 cycle, got secondaries from 13, 0 interviews. I didnt get my amcas processed until mid-Aug and didnt complete secondaries until mid-Oct (very very very stupid on my part, biggest "regret" of my life). If i get in to the GTown SMP, I am wondering if I should attend and shell out the big bucks, or if I am better off just reapplying. From what I have observed/learned, the SMP is advantageous for students who have lower GPAs/MCATs, in order to show that they can excell at the level required for med school. Since direct patient care is most likely the weakest point of my app, am i better off pursuing a job with patient care (I have started a job with a hospice care company to get that experience, and would be able to mention in on the 2013 amcas)?

Currently, I am almost hoping i dont get into the SMP bc i think my time (and money) would be better uituilized strengthening another part of my application. However, I do not want to lose another year after graduation.. This is the main reason i am considering SMP: i would want to start in M2 the following year. I know this isnt an option at any school other than GTown, since credits dont transfer between schools.

Does anyone know if I would still have several M1 classes to complete even at GTown, even after SMP? I tried comparing the course lists on the SMP website with the Med School site, but I didn't get a clear description from the Med site..

I applied to the Georgetown SMP in February- got a letter from Amy Richards on Marth 29th saying that they will let me know in 3-4 wks.

-32O (10V/9P/13B)
-Largest MN School (Neuroscience BS), grad: May 2011
-3.56 BCPM & 3.678 Overall (worst grades were freshman yr/high school post secondary courses, got near a 4.0 senior year)
-Junior Scientist for the last yr in a Myeloma Lab on campus, same lab that i volunteered in and did research for credit for 2 yrs as an undergad)
-2 publications, waiting for submission, 2 accepted abstracts and 2 presentations
-300+ hours volunteering at local hospital
-Resident Advisor my senior year
-BIGGEST MISSING FACTOR (as told by many ppl who looked at my amcas, and my states largest medical school admissions office): lack of direct patient experience

I applied to 15 schools for the 2012 cycle, got secondaries from 13, 0 interviews. I didnt get my amcas processed until mid-Aug and didnt complete secondaries until mid-Oct (very very very stupid on my part, biggest "regret" of my life). If i get in to the GTown SMP, I am wondering if I should attend and shell out the big bucks, or if I am better off just reapplying. From what I have observed/learned, the SMP is advantageous for students who have lower GPAs/MCATs, in order to show that they can excell at the level required for med school. Since direct patient care is most likely the weakest point of my app, am i better off pursuing a job with patient care (I have started a job with a hospice care company to get that experience, and would be able to mention in on the 2013 amcas)?

Currently, I am almost hoping i dont get into the SMP bc i think my time (and money) would be better uituilized strengthening another part of my application. However, I do not want to lose another year after graduation.. This is the main reason i am considering SMP: i would want to start in M2 the following year. I know this isnt an option at any school other than GTown, since credits dont transfer between schools.

Does anyone know if I would still have several M1 classes to complete even at GTown, even after SMP? I tried comparing the course lists on the SMP website with the Med School site, but I didn't get a clear description from the Med site..

So I may not have the most expertise in responding to you (applying this cycle), but based on what I've read and whom I spoken to, I don't think you should do an SMP. Your GPA/MCAT are fine to get into a school, your research is great, and you've volunteered. I think there are multiple reasons why you didn't get in last cycle, and they could have to do with not having direct patient contact experience (super important - how can you say you want to be a doctor without having interacted with the very people you're going to treat in the future?), not applying broadly (15 schools is a decent amount, but if you applied to all top schools, it's not a surprise you didn't get in), and I think the last factor could have been your PS (how did you convey to admissions committees your desire to become a doctor without merely listing off your ECs?).

Like I said, I don't have the most expertise in these matters as I am too applying this cycle, but if I were you, I would not do SMP and instead reapply. During this time I'd definitely seek out either a volunteering opportunity working with patients or getting an actual job working with patients. It seems that you might have something already lined up in hospice work, so go for it. You're a fine candidate. You just need to apply broadly and I'm sure you'll get in. Best of luck!

So I may not have the most expertise in responding to you (applying this cycle), but based on what I've read and whom I spoken to, I don't think you should do an SMP. Your GPA/MCAT are fine to get into a school, your research is great, and you've volunteered. I think there are multiple reasons why you didn't get in last cycle, and they could have to do with not having direct patient contact experience (super important - how can you say you want to be a doctor without having interacted with the very people you're going to treat in the future?), not applying broadly (15 schools is a decent amount, but if you applied to all top schools, it's not a surprise you didn't get in), and I think the last factor could have been your PS (how did you convey to admissions committees your desire to become a doctor without merely listing off your ECs?).

Like I said, I don't have the most expertise in these matters as I am too applying this cycle, but if I were you, I would not do SMP and instead reapply. During this time I'd definitely seek out either a volunteering opportunity working with patients or getting an actual job working with patients. It seems that you might have something already lined up in hospice work, so go for it. You're a fine candidate. You just need to apply broadly and I'm sure you'll get in. Best of luck!

worddddd

thanks for the words of encouragement toby. at this point, im (more than) leaning towards just reapplying for the upcoming cycle. hoping adcoms view my hospice care job (started in april, continuing through next year!) as enough patient care experience. The only thing that upsets me a bit is how I wont get to truly reflect on that experience for my amcas. but oh well, that's what secondaries ar for right? anyways, always good to hear others' opinions/ideas- good luck to all the SMP applicants and if I get a seat, I dont think i'll be stealing your spot :)

Last edited:
i'm in similar boat - deciding between Georgetown, Tufts, Case Western etc with 3.2(from top school, >30bio courses) and 27mcat; anyone have ideas? really want to get in this year ...of course hoping june mcat will improve

I'm an SMP right now at Georgetown. If any SMP-ers need a place
I"m currently living in a basement apt that is on 35th and R. It is extremely close to all your classes. It literally takes me less than 10 mins to walk to school, gym, library etc... And I have really short legs. :/

Anyway, it's a 2 bedroom apt, lots of living room space and costs $2200/ month, which includes water. Electricity and internet is not included, but that's super cheap too. The laundry room is right next door to.
It'll be open beginning of june if anyone is doing that summer thing at Georgetown.

Let me know!

Waitlisted...anyone know how long Georgetown takes to update whether you get off the waitlist? I have to decide whether I'm going to Tufts or not within the next two weeks. I have a feeling that I won't hear anything from them before then. Hmmm...question is...if I get accepted, is it worth dropping Tufts after putting my deposit down?

Waitlisted...anyone know how long Georgetown takes to update whether you get off the waitlist? I have to decide whether I'm going to Tufts or not within the next two weeks. I have a feeling that I won't hear anything from them before then. Hmmm...question is...if I get accepted, is it worth dropping Tufts after putting my deposit down?
well i just turned down my offer (err, i guess i didn't say yes or no, but the deadline has passed so it's equivalent to me declining). so good luck, i hope you get my spot!

well i just turned down my offer (err, i guess i didn't say yes or no, but the deadline has passed so it's equivalent to me declining). so good luck, i hope you get my spot!

May I ask why you didn't commit?

May I ask why you didn't commit?
see a few posts above, but in case it's TLDR:
basically, my GPA and MCAT are competitive (enough), and i would be better suited trying to improve my direct patient care experience for this upcoming cycle, not to mention the 50K price tag + rent in DC! hoping i made the right choice, what do you think?

see a few posts above, but in case it's TLDR:
basically, my GPA and MCAT are competitive (enough), and i would be better suited trying to improve my direct patient care experience for this upcoming cycle, not to mention the 50K price tag + rent in DC! hoping i made the right choice, what do you think?

I agree! If you feel you're competitive enough, save the money and travel somewhere!

Been on the waitlist forever, losing hope here. =/

Been on the waitlist forever, losing hope here. =/

Same here but I've pretty much given up (as I've already committed to Tufts). I actually just got an e-mail saying that I'll be reevaluated in late spring (isn't already "late spring"?) and that they recommend that I apply to G2SMP (which I've done already but haven't heard anything from). Though I'm not a huge fan of G2SMP doing videocasts for the med courses so I probably wouldn't even bother if I got in.

Gsmi (Georgetown sumer med institute) - might be late in the game to apply though. It sounded cool but it was going to be like 6k for me to take gross anatomy...smp's are already expensive enough.

So I submitted my application May 1, but my professors didn't get their recommendations in until the 15th, and then the MCAT THx didn't report until the 21st. With a 34 MCAT, 3.3 cGPA / 3.0 sGPA from a top public school, and solid ECs still allow me to get in at this point, even to bypass the waitlist somehow?

I thought it would but I was recently rejected...

MCAT: 27 then 34
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA 3.4

Top private school with strong ECs...

undergrad: top 15 private university, just graduated may 2012
major: biomedical engineering

MCAT: 32M (11PS,10V,11BS)

applied to SMP in mid-April 2012

i realize i applied a bit late, i'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on my chances of getting accepted, or if you have similar stats and heard back already, etc.

Last edited: