Georgetown SMP 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madieb2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's get this party started !

I have been interested in this program for over a year now. I applied last year for the 2011-2012 SMP class, but was not accepted to the program. I applied very late and had a low MCAT score so i knew I didn't really have a good chance of getting in. I have retaken my MCAT since and my score has improved. I have already submitted my application for the 2012-2013 SMP class. I want to hear from current SMP students and what they think about the program. How many students are accepted into the program? I like the small class size but i want to know if the professors are available on a one-on-one basis and how their advising is for applying to medical school.

thanks guys ! crossing my fingers :xf: and hopeful ! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I have been interested in this program for over a year now. I applied last year for the 2011-2012 SMP class, but was not accepted to the program. I applied very late and had a low MCAT score so i knew I didn't really have a good chance of getting in. I have retaken my MCAT since and my score has improved. I have already submitted my application for the 2012-2013 SMP class. I want to hear from current SMP students and what they think about the program. How many students are accepted into the program? I like the small class size but i want to know if the professors are available on a one-on-one basis and how their advising is for applying to medical school.

May I ask who you asked for LORs?

Hellow Kevintech. I have had my AMCAS completed and submitted since June. I have a composite letter written by my pre-med advisor as well as the letter packet. I have 3 letters from science profs, 2 letters from non science profs, and 2 from doctors i have worked with or shadowed. Are you applying to G-Town SMP for next year too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I am. How did you manage to get so many LORs?! Props to you!

Yes I am. How did you manage to get so many LORs?! Props to you!

That's awesome, Hopefully we both get accepted ! I started asking for LORs pretty early on and most profs are open and willing to write them for us.

Congrats! I didn't realize the application cycle opened up so soon...did it just open up last week or has it been up for awhile?

I hope I can get in the application before the end of the year and still have a shot to get in...

Congrats! I didn't realize the application cycle opened up so soon...did it just open up last week or has it been up for awhile?

I hope I can get in the application before the end of the year and still have a shot to get in...

Thanks! The application opened in August and I submitted mine in October. I received an e-mail yesterday saying my application was complete and ready for review but that they wouldn't be reviewing applications until late november/early december. Most applicants apply in January and February from what I have read in other threads, so I'm sure you'll have a great shot if you have everything in by December or even January.

I got accepted last year in Mid July. And my good friend also got accepted early-mid July, and his MCAT was 29. Not sure if that's considered low or average for this program...but seeing as how we both applied super late and got in anyway, I think Jan/Feb (I'm applying during Feb!) will still be early enough. Don't forget, most people get med school rejects in Spring Semester...so March-June is the influx of applicants I think.

I got accepted last year in Mid July. And my good friend also got accepted early-mid July, and his MCAT was 29. Not sure if that's considered low or average for this program...but seeing as how we both applied super late and got in anyway, I think Jan/Feb (I'm applying during Feb!) will still be early enough. Don't forget, most people get med school rejects in Spring Semester...so March-June is the influx of applicants I think.

Thats true, the majority of applicants will apply once they have heard from all other schools they applied to this cycle. You said you got accepted but will be applying this February, Why did you decide not to go this year?

I thought I was already rejected and had stuff already set up to start in September for this year.

Unfortunately, I had a verrrryyy small window from when I got my actual acceptance email and the deadline to accept. Like less than a week. The friend who also applied with me had already accepted a Masters program with a prof at his university, the week before I got my acceptance :\ Also, I was moving from Canada to the US.

So I had around 1 week to do all the moving and figuring stuff out about the actual program, etc. I'm not even sure if 1 week is enough time to get the visa necessary to study in the US from Canada. The biggest reason was that I was waking up at 3pm and sleeping at like 6-7am. I was seriously in no physical or mental condition to be starting medical school classes in less than a week :p

Now though, I'm much more focused :)

Hey Guys, I too am looking into a post bacc, does anyone know the average MCAT accepted into the program????

I thought I was already rejected and had stuff already set up to start in September for this year.

Unfortunately, I had a verrrryyy small window from when I got my actual acceptance email and the deadline to accept. Like less than a week. The friend who also applied with me had already accepted a Masters program with a prof at his university, the week before I got my acceptance :\ Also, I was moving from Canada to the US.

So I had around 1 week to do all the moving and figuring stuff out about the actual program, etc. I'm not even sure if 1 week is enough time to get the visa necessary to study in the US from Canada. The biggest reason was that I was waking up at 3pm and sleeping at like 6-7am. I was seriously in no physical or mental condition to be starting medical school classes in less than a week :p

Now though, I'm much more focused :)

I think you made the right decision. From reading posts made by those that have gone through the program, it is something you need to focus all your attention and efforts on. Good luck for this year :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

Im scheduled to take the Jan 28th, 2012 MCAT and the scores come in on Feb 28th. I am a senior and decided to go to the SMP route,

GPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.1
this is all excluding this 1st semester of 4th year which would probably bring it up slightly,

EMT for 3 Years
NJ Stem Cell Institute Research for 1 Year
Physician Shadowing - Interventional Radiologist (current/till May of 2012)

4 Science Professor Rec's (1 from Research)
2 History Professor Rec's (History Minor)
and more to come from this year

Would applying at the end of February be too late considering my stats?

I'll also be applying to UMDNJ - NJMS GSBS, UMDNJ - RWJ GSBS, Temple Advanced Core in Medical Sciences Program, Drexel MSP, EVMS SMP and possibly others.

Should I send in applications without MCAT scores (and without this semester's grades) or waiting till February is not a major issue?

I think you made the right decision. From reading posts made by those that have gone through the program, it is something you need to focus all your attention and efforts on. Good luck for this year :)
Thanks! Maybe I'll see you there in 8-9 months :thumbup:

Hello All,

Im scheduled to take the Jan 28th, 2012 MCAT and the scores come in on Feb 28th. I am a senior and decided to go to the SMP route,

GPA: 3.3
this is all excluding this 1st semester of 4th year which would probably bring it up slightly,

EMT for 3 Years
NJ Stem Cell Institute Research for 1 Year
Physician Shadowing - Interventional Radiologist (current/till May of 2012)

4 Science Professor Rec's (1 from Research)
2 History Professor Rec's (History Minor)
and more to come from this year

Would applying at the end of February be too late considering my stats?

I'll also be applying to UMDNJ - NJMS GSBS, UMDNJ - RWJ GSBS, Temple Advanced Core in Medical Sciences Program, Drexel MSP, EVMS SMP and possibly others.

Should I send in applications without MCAT scores (and without this semester's grades) or waiting till February is not a major issue?

I dont think its necessary to apply before you receive your MCAT scores. Applying in February will be just fine. I think having your MCAT scores is important when applying to this program.

Just got the e-mail from Amy saying my file is complete and under review. Now the waiting continues. :rolleyes:

how important are EC's as far as SMPs go?

how important are EC's as far as SMPs go?
I'd say if you don't have a good list of ECs before starting your SMP, well...I guess your plan would be to do ECs during your SMP year(s)...which I don't think will go that well.

Remember, your end goal is medical school which does require good ECs. So even if you get accepted to a SMP...you'll need ECs for med school. Would not recommend doing them during SMP, though.

Hey Guys,

I'm currently applying to Georgetown MD program right now, but I wanted to apply to Georgetown SMP as a backup. Are they applications reviewed by the same admissions committee? If I apply to Georgetown SMP, will they know that I also applied to the Georgetown MD program? I just don't want to hurt my chances at either programs by applying to the SMP program. What do you guys think?

Also, for the LORs, can I submit the LORs that I got from professors that they wrote for me for medical school?

Thanks for your help!

Hey Guys,

I'm currently applying to Georgetown MD program right now, but I wanted to apply to Georgetown SMP as a backup. Are they applications reviewed by the same admissions committee? If I apply to Georgetown SMP, will they know that I also applied to the Georgetown MD program? I just don't want to hurt my chances at either programs by applying to the SMP program. What do you guys think?

Also, for the LORs, can I submit the LORs that I got from professors that they wrote for me for medical school?

Thanks for your help!
Yeah you can use same letters.

You can apply to the GU SMP, won't hurt your chances. But to be honest, if you have a GPA you think is competitive for the GU MD program, what do you hope to get out of the GU SMP program? It's a GPA repairing program, nothing much else.

Hi,

i have a 3.6 undergrad gpa and was considering applying to a smp program like Georgetown and Tufts and was wondering if say I did not get a 4.0 rather a 3.5-3.67 in the smp would this greatly negatively affect me. I know a 3.5 isnt too bad since its a little less than an A- and that many medical students just have to get above 65percent. I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding how a medical school admission committee might view a 3.5 from a smp along with a little above 3.6 from undergrad? thanks.

Hi,

i have a 3.6 undergrad gpa and was considering applying to a smp program like Georgetown and Tufts and was wondering if say I did not get a 4.0 rather a 3.5-3.67 in the smp would this greatly negatively affect me. I know a 3.5 isnt too bad since its a little less than an A- and that many medical students just have to get above 65percent. I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding how a medical school admission committee might view a 3.5 from a smp along with a little above 3.6 from undergrad? thanks.
Good question, I'd also like to know the answer...

...what happens if you get a 3.5-3.7 GPA in the SMP, how bad is that? No chance at all?

Hello everyone:

I have a couple of questions about GEMS.

1) What would qualify you as a disadvantaged student? For me, I'm an immigrant. My family and I came to this country I was 9 years old with literally nothing. I had spend years learning English from scratch. No one in my family graduated from high school and I'm the first in just about everything academically. Financially disadvantaged as well. Am I in qualify?

2) I have 2.89 cGPA undergrad. I'm doing my postbacc right now and I will finish the first year with 4.0GPA (24credits all upper division BIOL classes). MCAT is 24. With 300+ hospital volunteer. Do you think I have any chance with this program?

Last edited:
I know that GT accepts GRE in lieu of the MCAT but does having a GRE and no MCAT during admission hurts competitiveness by a lot? Does anyone know people who have gotten in with GRE and then took MCAT during the school year?

Good question, I'd also like to know the answer...

...what happens if you get a 3.5-3.7 GPA in the SMP, how bad is that? No chance at all?

The georgetown SMP is meant to show medical schools that you can handle taking medical schools classes and take control of a rigorous curriculum. By taking classes with medical students and doing well, or even better than some of them, it will prove that you are capable and a good candidate for medical school. So if most of the medical students are in the 3.5-3.7 gpa range and you are consistent with them, it shows you are cut out for medical school, which in my opinion can only help your chances of getting into one.

Accepted to SMP 2013 ! :) Received my acceptance email last week! I know its pretty early but anyone else hear back yet?

Madieb2016,

would you mind sharing your stats? Also, tell us about what kind of undergrad institution (don't have to say the name) you came from along with your major?

Thanks!!! :)
SMPtoMD

Madieb2016,

would you mind sharing your stats? Also, tell us about what kind of undergrad institution (don't have to say the name) you came from along with your major?

Thanks!!! :)
SMPtoMD

Of course.
As for my background/experience: For undergrad, I attended a private research university in south Florida, psychology major, 2 years of research, 1 year volunteer work in hospital, have been working as a physician's scribe in ER/Trauma Center for over a year now.

My Stats: cGPA: 3.4, sGPA: 3.2, MCAT 30Q (9V, 10P, 11B)

hope this helps and good luck to everyone else applying ! :)

hi guys i will be applying in January after taking the January 28th MCAT!!
it would be a dream come true if i get in!!
quick question does anyone know if only having one LOR from a science prof would hurt my chances in getting into the program

i am currently busy with finals and prob wont complete the application until mid december-ish, its still early right? lol

Not sure how I missed this thread... Hi all! I'll be applying to the Georgetown SMP within the next month or so. 3.35/3.25/30R here. Very hopeful!

I know that GT accepts GRE in lieu of the MCAT but does having a GRE and no MCAT during admission hurts competitiveness by a lot? Does anyone know people who have gotten in with GRE and then took MCAT during the school year?

Just as a heads up, you do not need the MCAT... I am currently in the program (procrastinating studying for a cardiopulmonary exam), and have yet to take the MCAT. I applied late in the cycle w/ pretty good GRE scores and somehow managed to get in, so it's worth applying. I believe there are a few others in the same boat here as well. Preparing adequately for the MCAT during the program though would be virtually impossible, IMHO. I'm taking it after the program ends, and applying shortly thereafter. Hope that helps.

The georgetown SMP is meant to show medical schools that you can handle taking medical schools classes and take control of a rigorous curriculum. By taking classes with medical students and doing well, or even better than some of them, it will prove that you are capable and a good candidate for medical school. So if most of the medical students are in the 3.5-3.7 gpa range and you are consistent with them, it shows you are cut out for medical school, which in my opinion can only help your chances of getting into one.

Most medical students are NOT in the 3.5-3.7 gpa range. This is from the Georgetown website.
"Grading for SMP students will remain unchanged: it is done in such a way that grades illustrate competence in medical school courses. This is achieved because the SMP student's grades are based on the medical school grading curve. At Georgetown, medical students are graded on a Honors, High Pass, Pass, Low Pass, Fail grading curve. Physiology students are graded based on the medical school scale. The following grade conversion chart illustrates this.
Grade on Graduate Transcript Interpretation
A Honors for medical students
(top 10 to 15% of med class)
A- or B+ High Pass for medical students
(next 10 to 15% of med class)
B or B- Pass for medical students
(majority of first year med class)
C Unsatisfactory performance
F Unsatisfactory performance
No credit given for grad course"

Also be aware that the SMP averages are always lower the medical class so take that into account when thinking about a hypothetical gpa. You cannot count on a 3.5-3.7, let alone a 3.0.

Just felt like you should be informed.

Just received my acceptance today. Anyone still undecided on where they are going to go?

Just received my acceptance today. Anyone still undecided on where they are going to go?

Hey, NJD519,

Congratulations! Can you tell me a little bit more about the turn-around time? Everything for me is in, but they've yet to tell me it's complete.

Thanks for your help,

NOLA2UNC

Hi guys I was wondering if you thought it would be worth it for me to apply to Georgetown's SMP this cycle? My stats are

UCLA Neurosci
cGPA: 3.1
MCAT 1: 34L (12B, 11P, 11V)
MCAT 2: 35N (12B, 8P, 15V)

As you can see my GPA is pretty abysmal -_-, which is why I'm hoping Georgetown would really help me out in terms of proving academic ability, not sure if I stand a chance to even get in though.

Hi guys I was wondering if you thought it would be worth it for me to apply to Georgetown's SMP this cycle? My stats are

UCLA Neurosci
cGPA: 3.1
MCAT 1: 34L (12B, 11P, 11V)
MCAT 2: 35N (12B, 8P, 15V)

As you can see my GPA is pretty abysmal -_-, which is why I'm hoping Georgetown would really help me out in terms of proving academic ability, not sure if I stand a chance to even get in though.

I think you definitely stand a chance. Also, awesome verbal score!

Hey, NJD519,

Congratulations! Can you tell me a little bit more about the turn-around time? Everything for me is in, but they've yet to tell me it's complete.

Thanks for your help,

NOLA2UNC

Hey NOLA,

I submitted my online application on 10/17/11 and received an e-mail from the graduate depatment as a 'receipt of application' on 10/24/12. My application was 'complete', and received another e-mail, on 11/15/11. I then received my acceptance on 1/3/12 (Boo Yaa).

Of course all of this may be different for you depending on when you applied and how long it took for your transcripts and LORs to arrive.

I think you definitely stand a chance. Also, awesome verbal score!

Thanks! Do you think you'll end up matriculating to Georgetown? And yea I like my verbal score, too bad it came at the expense of killing my PS score for some reason -_-

Thanks! Do you think you'll end up matriculating to Georgetown? And yea I like my verbal score, too bad it came at the expense of killing my PS score for some reason -_-

I can't comment on that. From what gather, there are too many variables involved in that decision; just as there are in all medical school acceptances. However, depending on your EC's, LORs, and how you do in the SMP, you might. Just as you might have a good shot at getting into any other medical school without a gap year. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I'm facing the same facts! You can always research the statistics of acceptance until your eyes bleed, but you won't truly know until it happens.

And again, damn that verbal is hardcore. haha. I think your MCAT will help you out a lot.

I can't comment on that. From what gather, there are too many variables involved in that decision; just as there are in all medical school acceptances. However, depending on your EC's, LORs, and how you do in the SMP, you might. Just as you might have a good shot at getting into any other medical school without a gap year. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I'm facing the same facts! You can always research the statistics of acceptance until your eyes bleed, but you won't truly know until it happens.

And again, damn that verbal is hardcore. haha. I think your MCAT will help you out a lot.

Haha whoops I'm sorry I should've been more clear, I meant do you think you'll end up attending Georgetown's SMP. I saw in another thread you had acceptances elsewhere, no?

Haha whoops I'm sorry I should've been more clear, I meant do you think you'll end up attending Georgetown's SMP. I saw in another thread you had acceptances elsewhere, no?

Haha, that makes more sense.

I am still undecided. I have been accepted to EVMS and am still awaiting a response from UCinci. It is a very tough decision to say the least. On one hand, EVMS and UCinci are great programs and provide excellent chances of matriculation into their host schools; without a gap year (if you do well). On the other hand, Georgetown is also an excellent program, more well-known, and may open up more doors for you; but with the chance of a gap year. Everything is a trade-off in life and it really hurts sometimes, ahah. However, no one should complain about having acceptances!

So I can't really answer your question just yet. I wish I could hear the thoughts of others in my position--or if they were in my position--and gain more perspective. It may just come down to "pulling the trigger" on one of the schools.

Application complete 1.11.12 according to grad school website and phone confirmation. No e-mail from SMP yet saying they've received it. We'll see what happens...:oops:

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
So I'm in the process of finishing my application, do any of you who have been accepted have any tips for the statement? Is it a very focussed statement or a personal story? Anywhere I could find a good example?

My stats:
BSc in Physiology, Minor in Economics
3.0 CGPA, 3.5 if you count only major and minor.
2.9 BCPM
MCAT 1- 290 9P/9V/11B
MCAT 2- 32Q 10P/10V/12B
Reason for gpa- first year mess up first semester 1.53, second 2.7. Worked up each semester, never going below a 3.0 again.

Really hoping an SMP will allow me prove myself to US allopathic schools. Though I do have an admission into Flinders University in Australia. I noticed from the SMP website one student did end up going to Flinders after the SMP. Keeping that in mind do you guys think the smp is a risk worht taking, or should I with what I have?