Georgetown SMP 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all, I'm just looking for some advice and this thread caught my attention. Do you think I will be able to gain acceptance into the program with a 2.9-3.0 UG gpa and a 20 MCAT? (Took the MCAT without studying much at all, while taking Orgo 2 and an upper level bio course. Plan to retake in March, but also plan to apply for this program before then) Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are going to have a hard time getting into any SMP with that MCAT. Even if you do, you will not gain acceptance into medical school with such a low score alongside an already low GPA.

If I were in your position I would take a few post-bac upper-level science courses, ace them, bring you cGPA above a 3.0 (you are so close), get a 30+ MCAT and then do a SMP. This time study for the MCAT!!!

Check out the MCAT threads on SDN, they give some pretty good advice. IMO, it is not worth the application fees to apply to special masters programs right now. You have an uphill battle ahead of you, but it can be done. Good luck!

edited

Last edited:
Application complete 1.11.12 according to grad school website and phone confirmation. No e-mail from SMP yet saying they've received it. We'll see what happens...:oops:

Ms. Richards e-mailed me yesterday (1.17.11) saying that my application is under review! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I came across this program recently and seriously considering it.

32R MCAT
3.65 Cumulative GPA
3.51 Science GPA

Do I have a shot? Is it worth applying? Or am I too late for this cycle?

32R MCAT
3.65 Cumulative GPA
3.51 Science GPA

You definitely have a shot... your stats are quite high, have you applied for MD programs this cycle because it seems to me that you would be competitive to skip SMP year all together.

32R MCAT
3.65 Cumulative GPA
3.51 Science GPA

You have more than a shot at MD programs. If you perform poorly in the smp, you will torpedo your chances. Shore up anything (clinical/volunteer) keeping you out of an MD program and apply next year (or this year if you have strong ECs).

Hey all. Completed my app last week, and just waiting to get the confirmation email that my file is under review.

Last edited:
I can let you know in two to three weeks. I have pretty much the same stats and am under review. I was told I had a decent shot at getting in.

Hey, I am a Canadian and recently applied. I have a BA (honors) in Psychology and almost completed a B.Sc. Bio

cGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 32P

Last edited:
Just received the confirmation email from Amy Richards and my app is under review! Hopefully the next 3-4 weeks will go by quickly!

How strict is the 3.0 GPA cut-off? I want to apply, but I have a pretty abysmal GPA from trying to coast (show up midterm + final only) on a couple classes, but my MCAT and school background should be pretty strong (Averaged 38 on FLs, took MCAT Jan 28).

My best grades were Senior year, though, and I'm planning on taking some more this semester to improve my average (but it won't be enough to reach the cut-off in just 1 semester, requires 2 or more). With some good ECs and a strong MCAT score, is it possible to be accepted?

How strict is the 3.0 GPA cut-off? I want to apply, but I have a pretty abysmal GPA from trying to coast (show up midterm + final only) on a couple classes, but my MCAT and school background should be pretty strong (Averaged 38 on FLs, took MCAT Jan 28).

My best grades were Senior year, though, and I'm planning on taking some more this semester to improve my average (but it won't be enough to reach the cut-off in just 1 semester, requires 2 or more). With some good ECs and a strong MCAT score, is it possible to be accepted?

It is possible to get in with a sub-3.0, but the program will need to get a waiver from the graduate school. That said, other aspects of your application should essentially 'make up' for your sub-3.0 in order for them to want you. How low is your GPA? How are your ECs? These things matter. Your MCAT score will play a big part in your acceptance as well.

Is there any way for you to raise your GPA to 3.0 before starting? I ask because this may help you with your medical school applications.

I would say that in order to be accepted with a below 3.0 you need to have a very strong application otherwise. But this is just my guess

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist is better than rejection. Also i have heard that their wait list moves up pretty fast so Good LUCK! :) Do you mind sharing your stats, since you got waitlisted?

Thanks,
SMPtoMD

Waitlist is better than rejection. Also i have heard that their wait list moves up pretty fast so Good LUCK! :) Do you mind sharing your stats, since you got waitlisted?

Thanks,
SMPtoMD

SMPto MD,

Thank you for the encouraging words. It wasn't the decision I was I hoping for, but I'll wait this one out. I applied with the following stats:

cGPA: 3.585
sGPA: 3.345
MCAT: 29Q (1st time), 27Q (2nd time...burned...)
Bio/Philosophy double major, 1 year as an undergrad research tech, 1.5 yrs as lab manager/lab tech, 1 year hospital volunteering, 4 publications (middle author), lots of volunteer work with church

So we'll see what happens. Here's to the emoticon :(.

NOLA2UNC

Last edited:
NOLA2UNC,

You're welcome. Your stats seem just fine, I think its that MCAT … ehh…did you apply to any DO schools? just wondering….you would have a great chance with those stats…

you also put in some worry too, cuz my GPA is slightly lower than yours and I haven't applied yet. Taking MCAT in March, and then I will go from there.

All in all, like i said before, wait list is still better than nothing! so Good luck! :)

I was also accepted to Tufts MBS and I am waiting to hear back from Ucin, BU, Drexel, and Loyola so I will have to make a decision soon about the programs I have heard back from

I was also accepted to Tufts MBS and I am waiting to hear back from Ucin, BU, Drexel, and Loyola so I will have to make a decision soon about the programs I have heard back from

It's great to have choices, but difficult to decide on one! However, I recently visited the Georgetown program and the campus was beautiful to say the least. The program seems very strong and well organized. Are you leaning towards any particular program as of now?

It's great to have choices, but difficult to decide on one! However, I recently visited the Georgetown program and the campus was beautiful to say the least. The program seems very strong and well organized. Are you leaning towards any particular program as of now?

Each program has its pros and cons but at this point I might be favoring Tufts for its location

Each program has its pros and cons but at this point I might be favoring Tufts for its location

Congrats! :D What are your stats? And about how long after receiving the "under review" email did you get the decision?

Congrats! :D What are your stats? And about how long after receiving the "under review" email did you get the decision?

Thanks! I have a 3.3 cum/sci GPA with a 31Q(10B 11P 10V) MCAT. I received the under review email on 1/17 and received the acceptance email on 2/1. Goodluck!

Hey folks, I'm considering applying. Do I have a shot at this with my low MCAT?

Bio major, Top 20 school.
2 years research, 1 year volunteer hospital, lots of leadership/exec positions.

cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.43
MCAT: 26 (8 ps,8 v,10 bs)

Thanks in advanced.

Thanks in advanced.

E-mail them and let them know your situation, they are very nice. You are going to have to retake the MCAT regardless so tell them that you will update them once you receive your new score. You should start making a study plan now and take a late April or early May MCAT. As for the rest of your application, it looks like you would be a good candidate for the program.

Thanks in advanced.

Not really sure why you want to do this program. At a 3.6/3.4, it seems like your problem is the mcat, not gpa. This program isn't going to target the application issues you have and thus, probably isn't worth your time/money. Retake the mcat in june and apply this year. Bam. I just saved you 50k.

If you took a look at my transcript you might think twice. I took bio and ochem over the summer (separate summers) at my institution so most of my semesters were pretty light loads.

I feel as if med-schools will look at this unfavorably and think my GPA isn't as great as it should be when there's a lack of a rigorous course load throughout my four years.

Or am I being one of those crazy, hypercritical pre-meds? But these are my true sentiments. I hope I am not off base.

If you took a look at my transcript you might think twice. I took bio and ochem over the summer (separate summers) at my institution so most of my semesters were pretty light loads.

I feel as if med-schools will look at this unfavorably and think my GPA isn't as great as it should be when there's a lack of a rigorous course load throughout my four years.

Or am I being one of those crazy, hypercritical pre-meds? But these are my true sentiments. I hope I am not off base.

Not that I'm an expert, but I'm pretty sure you are. Maybe you took a few pre-recs over the summer, but I'm still not sure that's as much of a weak point as you think it is. Let me explain this quantitatively:

In comparing you to med school matriculants from 2011:

Your sGPA is in the 37th percentile. Your cGPA is in the 29th percentile.
That's certainly not amazing, but thats decent. Keep in mind this is matriculants, not applicants.

Your mcat is in the 11th percentile. And your verbal (which med schools seem to think is correlated to your step 1 scores) is in the 15th percentile.

Not trying to be mean, just showing you where you are relative to last years matriculants.
Let me put it another way. I've been talking to adcoms about what kind of person they want and would get the most out of it. What I've heard is that the people who need/benefit most from these programs are those with medium to high mcat, good ECs and LORs, and have done very well in recent science class, but continue to have poor numbers because of previous work. I don't think you fit into this type based on what you've said. Your gpa is decent, but your mcat is low. If you try to keep polishing your strengths without addressing your weaknesses, med schools will notice. If after you take the mcat (may, june, whenever) and you want to keep taking classes on the side to boost your gpa, thats certainly not a bad idea. But 50k is a LOT of money, and unless youre super rich, I'm not sure you wanna spend that on something that isn't necessary. Additionally, you have to basically destroy your SMP classes to get into med school. Anything lower that a 3.5 is (usually but not always) not a good sign. If you do really poorly, you lose your money, time, and any remaining shot at medschool you had. So unless you NEED an smp, I wouldn't recommend it. They're not "have fun during your year off" programs, they're boot-camp kind of programs.

Anyway, the point is, I'm pretty confident taking the mcat agin would be infinitely more beneficial than doing an smp. Plus, pretty sure you need at least a 30 to have a shot at US MD schools...

Not that I'm an expert, but I'm pretty sure you are. Maybe you took a few pre-recs over the summer, but I'm still not sure that's as much of a weak point as you think it is. Let me explain this quantitatively:

In comparing you to med school matriculants from 2011:

Your sGPA is in the 37th percentile. Your cGPA is in the 29th percentile.
That's certainly not amazing, but thats decent. Keep in mind this is matriculants, not applicants.

Your mcat is in the 11th percentile. And your verbal (which med schools seem to think is correlated to your step 1 scores) is in the 15th percentile.

Not trying to be mean, just showing you where you are relative to last years matriculants.
Let me put it another way. I've been talking to adcoms about what kind of person they want and would get the most out of it. What I've heard is that the people who need/benefit most from these programs are those with medium to high mcat, good ECs and LORs, and have done very well in recent science class, but continue to have poor numbers because of previous work. I don't think you fit into this type based on what you've said. Your gpa is decent, but your mcat is low. If you try to keep polishing your strengths without addressing your weaknesses, med schools will notice. If after you take the mcat (may, june, whenever) and you want to keep taking classes on the side to boost your gpa, thats certainly not a bad idea. But 50k is a LOT of money, and unless youre super rich, I'm not sure you wanna spend that on something that isn't necessary. Additionally, you have to basically destroy your SMP classes to get into med school. Anything lower that a 3.5 is (usually but not always) not a good sign. If you do really poorly, you lose your money, time, and any remaining shot at medschool you had. So unless you NEED an smp, I wouldn't recommend it. They're not "have fun during your year off" programs, they're boot-camp kind of programs.

Anyway, the point is, I'm pretty confident taking the mcat agin would be infinitely more beneficial than doing an smp. Plus, pretty sure you need at least a 30 to have a shot at US MD schools...

Ummmm, you're awesome! Where can I find those stats?
I am certainly retaking the MCAT in April/May - and I will try to steer away from the SMP, but in the event that I find nothing to do for my gap year I might just take on the student debt to "polish my strengths." Applying to random jobs now, just hoping for the best :xf:

Ummmm, you're awesome! Where can I find those stats?
I am certainly retaking the MCAT in April/May - and I will try to steer away from the SMP, but in the event that I find nothing to do for my gap year I might just take on the student debt to "polish my strengths." Applying to random jobs now, just hoping for the best :xf:

Ok, apparently I'm not being clear. This is NOT a polishing strengths program, its BOOTCAMP! If you do this simply to make yourself look a little better, you will want to die come october. You have to score in the top 20% of the med school class to even look DECENT. Trust me, not a good way to spend a year off. Go rock the mcat (realistically, I think you could get away with 31/10 in each section, but you should be aiming for at least 34, if not higher) and then find something enjoyable to do. Volunteer at a hospital, start a non-profit, travel, do research at a local uni, whatever. But seriously, don't do an smp. You did reasonably well in college, good job. Don't mess that up by doing average or worse in an smp.

ummmm how has midlife not swooped on this yet?!

Ok, apparently I'm not being clear. This is NOT a polishing strengths program, its BOOTCAMP! If you do this simply to make yourself look a little better, you will want to die come october. You have to score in the top 20% of the med school class to even look DECENT. Trust me, not a good way to spend a year off. Go rock the mcat (realistically, I think you could get away with 31/10 in each section, but you should be aiming for at least 34, if not higher) and then find something enjoyable to do. Volunteer at a hospital, start a non-profit, travel, do research at a local uni, whatever. But seriously, don't do an smp. You did reasonably well in college, good job. Don't mess that up by doing average or worse in an smp.

ummmm how has midlife not swooped on this yet?!
It's nice that you care enough to try to stop this person from making a big mistake. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

It's nice that you care enough to try to stop this person from making a big mistake. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I ain't no horse!
Anyways, Reed thank you for your input. After hearing this, I will MOST LIKELY not be doing the SMP.

I'm applying to this program and I'm already pretty pissed about having to spend time and money on a program that isn't guaranteed to get me into med school. So I feel like no one else should have to unless then NEED it.

I had a question regarding the retention rate of SMP grads into med school. Georgetown says they give interviews to the top half of smp students for the following year's med school class. However, this really says nothing about the retention of the students. Are these interviews just ceremonial, contractual obligations that they carry out and then throw away? Or do they actually accept a significant amount of people from their own program? Does anyone know what % of smp grads get into GTown med school?

Also, when do the bulk of the applications come in? I'm trying to get it done before march 20, but I want to make sure I get it in relatively early (due to low gpa).

I'm applying to this program and I'm already pretty pissed about having to spend time and money on a program that isn't guaranteed to get me into med school. So I feel like no one else should have to unless then NEED it.

I had a question regarding the retention rate of SMP grads into med school. Georgetown says they give interviews to the top half of smp students for the following year's med school class. However, this really says nothing about the retention of the students. Are these interviews just ceremonial, contractual obligations that they carry out and then throw away? Or do they actually accept a significant amount of people from their own program? Does anyone know what % of smp grads get into GTown med school?

Also, when do the bulk of the applications come in? I'm trying to get it done before march 20, but I want to make sure I get it in relatively early (due to low gpa).

This is from the website:

16. How many of the SMP students are admitted to medical school?

Historically, about 50+% of our students have been accepted to medical school during the year they are in the program and begin school the fall semester directly after finishing the SMP. Overall, about 80% of students have been accepted to medical school, most within two years of completing the program.

This is from the website:

16. How many of the SMP students are admitted to medical school?

Historically, about 50+% of our students have been accepted to medical school during the year they are in the program and begin school the fall semester directly after finishing the SMP. Overall, about 80% of students have been accepted to medical school, most within two years of completing the program.

I am a current SMP student and just to set these percentages straight:
- the overall percent of SMP students accepted to medical school is 50% and 80% (the following year) but just remember that this also includes DO/ Caribbean / etc

- about half the SMP students are interview every year (there are about 180 students). I believe that the GPA cutoff for interviews at Gtown is around a 3.3-3.4

- out of this interviewed group, around 30 (+/- 5) are accepted - around 17% of total students. Although I am not sure, I believe you need to have above a 3.7 in the SMP program to be competitive for one of the medical school spots - my advisor in the program said a 3.8 will basically guarantee acceptance so long as MCAT / essays / etc are ok.

-that being said, just remember that your GPA is a collection of 6 medical school classes (which are graded based on a curve set solely by the Meds); and several grad school classes (two of these are an "A" for simply showing up - so everyone gets an A), and 5 are relatively easy grad classes.

-post any other questions...i will try and answer

- the overall percent of SMP students accepted to medical school is 50% and 80% (the following year) but just remember that this also includes DO/ Caribbean / etc

- about half the SMP students are interview every year (there are about 180 students). I believe that the GPA cutoff for interviews at Gtown is around a 3.3-3.4

- out of this interviewed group, around 30 (+/- 5) are accepted - around 17% of total students. Although I am not sure, I believe you need to have above a 3.7 in the SMP program to be competitive for one of the medical school spots - my advisor in the program said a 3.8 will basically guarantee acceptance so long as MCAT / essays / etc are ok.

-that being said, just remember that your GPA is a collection of 6 medical school classes (which are graded based on a curve set solely by the Meds); and several grad school classes (two of these are an "A" for simply showing up - so everyone gets an A), and 5 are relatively easy grad classes.

CORRECTION: 34 SMPers matriculated into Gtown last year, so number accepted is probably a few higher to account for kids that got into somewhere else that they really wanted to go

GPA cutoff 3.3-3.4 is that your ugrad gpa before coming into gtown?

GPA cutoff 3.3-3.4 is that your ugrad gpa before coming into gtown?

No sorry i wasn't being clear. Georgetown medical school interviews are offered to SMP students at the end of March. The selection for these interviews is heavily weighted on the SMP student's performance during the year. Usually students with a GPA of 3.4 or higher in the SMP program are invited to interview.

No sorry i wasn't being clear. Georgetown medical school interviews are offered to SMP students at the end of March. The selection for these interviews is heavily weighted on the SMP student's performance during the year. Usually students with a GPA of 3.4 or higher in the SMP program are invited to interview.

Awesome, thanks. How would you rate the difficulty and quality of classes there?

Awesome, thanks. How would you rate the difficulty and quality of classes there?

It is the hardest year I have ever been through. My social life is non existent. All I do is study. What makes it even more stressful than med school is that you are not just trying to pass - for most students in the program a "B" is considered not a good grade - I definitely would not be happy with a B. I know it sounds ridiculous but that is just the way it is. Most of us partied too hard in college and now we need to make up for that. But in the end, I am happy I did it. It definitely helped me get some acceptances this application cycle, and I am crossing my fingers that I get into Gtown (if you do, you are basically done with 1st year classes). Although I do believe that the program only really helps you if you do very well. I have friends in the program wow are doing pretty well (considering you are graded against the meds) - and have around a 3.2 gpa and have not had an interview at a legitimate school.

In terms of classes - they are lecture style and recorded. I have really enjoyed the medical classes - as the lecturers are leaders in their respective fields and clinical correlates with patients are really interesting. The grad school classes are kind of a joke - they are not too well organized (but also, they are pretty easy).

I guess my bottom line suggestion for people interested is step back and consider how competitive you are as an applicant. If you are almost there (maybe had interviews this past year but not accepted) i think this program can definitely push you over that line.

I didn't think it included DO and IMG. Darn, they should mention that.

What is the deadline to accept your spot? How long after you received your acceptance?

What is the deadline to accept your spot? How long after you received your acceptance?

I have been accepted and they stated April 15th is the deadline to reserve your spot; $500 deposit.

Hey, mjm444,

I was looking at the course descriptions on the website for the fall semester. As I understand it, this semester is the more crucial because most interviewing is done around this time or is based on grades from this semester. It lists 18 credit hours. As an undergrad, that was a lot at my school. How much do they throw at you? Is it true that it's trying to drink water from a fire hose? As for the spring semester, I've been told that some people study for the MCAT and re-take it then. Given where you are now, two months into it, how difficult is it to juggle your current classes, manage interviewing, possibly hunting for a job the year after the SMP, and studying for and re-taking the MCAT?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Best wishes,

NOLA2UNC

On the online application, where do we mark the program we are applying to? I can not find SMP on the website.

Hello,

I already posted this in the sticky, but just to make sure it gets seen:

I would appreciate some advice regarding my situation.

I have a 3.59 cgpa, 3.25 bcpm, 33M MCAT (11-11-11). I applied to all my state schools and some out of state (NY), but have not gotten any interviews. It seems more and more likely that I won't be accepted this year. My applications weren't marked complete until december. I submitted secondaries in October (totally my fault, but I needed to get some cash together). My ECs are decent, not great. I have some hospital volunteering <100 hrs, some shadowing/medical internships (altogether, my clinical experience/patient contact is solid, I think), some community service (fundraising, tutoring), about 1 year clinical research with 1 publication, leadership (president of a religious club, organized some interfaith activities and charity fundraisers, etc), I also have some other activities that are more like hobbies.

I know my bcpm is really weak. I'm a Biology major, so taking more classes wouldn't impact my bcpm much, and I graduated in 2010 anyway. Would a special master's be a good route to go? Would I have a shot at Georgetown? Would it help me get into an MD school in the US? I only hesitate because it's awfully expensive, but I'd be willing to take out loans if it would help my chances significantly. Or should I just reapply this year and try to be complete earlier? Would being enrolled in an SMP help my chances if I apply while enrolled?

Last edited:
@ abe lincoln: Here's my opinion. Your stats seem ok, but I would take some more classes to bump up that BCMP GPA by taking some additional classes either at a local university or through and SMP. In the meantime, you can try to boost your extracurricular activities.

3.25 GPA, scGPA is a little lower. 30P mcat. good amount of ECs... spent two summers interning at a biotech, another summer as a paid research assistant at weill-cornell medical school in NYC. Got to serve as an undergrad TA for vertebrate anatomy lab. Volunteered at two diff hospitals in emergency room, and GI surgery. Also coached a kids soccer team this past fall. Solid recs (one of my profs just got promoted to Dean at U of Florida). I just turned my app in last week though. Thoughts on my chances?

Current SMP here. I can answer any questions you might have about the program--either on here, or PM me, I'll try to get back to you ASAP. I know last year I was real nervous about getting into the program. For reference I was accepted off the wait list to this program with about average stats. I have been accepted to medical school and expect to start at that school in August.

Waitlisted. :scared:

Not sure what this means. I thought I had pretty decent stats for the program. 3.5/32.

Last edited: