Gems 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread has gone deathly quiet!!! I stayed off a couple of weeks and came back to a deserted town lol. Anyways, I was just wondering how were you guys dealing with the wait? I guess we can all share our anguish. Maybe it will speed up the process lol.

Members don't see this ad.

P.S.
wow...just realized I started page 3, 4, and 5.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, ddogark, did you interview in April or May? Do you still remember how many people actually showed up for the interview?

I interviewed in April and there were 25 listed and 25 present. How many people attended the May session?

This thread is crazy quiet as compared to last year, hopefully everyone is just as social though!

Does anybody have an idea of when we'll hear back??? Trying to make plans if I dont get in

This thread is crazy quiet as compared to last year, hopefully everyone is just as social though!

Does anybody have an idea of when we'll hear back??? Trying to make plans if I dont get in
I agree, this thread is awfully quiet. I believe we'll hear back in the next two weeks via mail or phone based on previous years posts. Finding out if you get in or not is probably the most difficult/stressful part of the process.

I really enjoyed the experience as well. It's almost like if you get in the program, you know you will succeed with such great support and as you mentioned family like atmosphere.

Hopefully we will hear something within the next week or so, as mention earlier. I gotta work on my secondary plan as well which, unfortunately, begins in about 3 weeks :scared::scared::scared:. So, the suspense is slowing killing me!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know what you mean, im dreading the worst, but keeping hopes alive by looking for housing.. Living in Georgetown is crazy expensive, but i found some nice prices around arlingotn if anyones interested in rooming or needs help with finding a place.

Hey guys! I wish you all the best as you wait for your results!! I'm actually planning to (or want to apply) for the next round (2011-2012), and I just read through all these 5 pages (hehe yes, I am a loser). But very informative :) ! I was just a little bit confused because the GEMS brochure states "All applicants to the GEMS Program must be seeking admission to medical school when they apply to GEMS and present Medical College Admission Test scores at the time of application." Does this mean that I cannot apply to this program if I am not applying to medical schools at the same time? Right now I feel that I would not get into medical school with my current stats, so I wanted to apply to these sort of programs (this one, the one offered by Drexel and Wake Forest). This is actually what I REALLY want to do before attending medical school. I have not taken the MCATs, and was planning to spend this summer studying to take it in August, specifically so that I can apply to this program. So do I even qualify to apply if I am not applying to medical schools at the same time? Please let me know when you get the chance. Thanks!

"All applicants to the GEMS Program must be seeking admission to medical school when they apply to GEMS and present Medical College Admission Test scores at the time of application." Does this mean that I cannot apply to this program if I am not applying to medical schools at the same time?
Yes, that's right. You must be applying to med schools to apply for GEMS. The application for GEMS won't be available until March 2011.

Based on previous years posts, people had already heard back from the ADCOM by now. It makes me nervous since we haven't heard anything.

Perhaps. But the GEMS website said decisions will be made by May 30 and the confirmatoin postcard said May 28, therefore there is still plenty of time.

I agree! I just thought they would follow the same timeline of previous years.

During the interview they stated that they'll let applicants/interviewees know before the 28th but after the 20th because they had to deal w/ graduation and other factors. So a timeline between the 20th-28th would be reasonable.

{May 3rd interviewee}

received admission offer last evening in mail!! gems here i come. YAHOO!!!

Im not sure about that. usatoday is listed as a resident??? It may be true or usatoday may be joking with us. If so, Congrats!!! Were r u from? Moreover, the GEMS adcom stated they will notify us after the 20th, so Im sticking with that date. They have been pretty steady on their dates thus far.

Im not sure about that. usatoday is listed as a resident??? It may be true or usatoday may be joking with us. If so, Congrats!!! Were r u from? Moreover, the GEMS adcom stated they will notify us after the 20th, so Im sticking with that date. They have been pretty steady on their dates thus far.
Your right!
After I posted my message, I realized usatoday is a current resident! He was probably bored and posted that message for fun!

You're right. Talked with a GEMS today who stated staff is very busy with graduation. No news until AFTER May 20th. Shame on usatoday! So, let's be patient and hoping for the best for everyone. Keep your cells at the ready and paid, and check those email and snailmail boxes...lol

I might just pull out my hair if we have to wait another day

You guys should relax, doubt we'll hear anything until the beginning of next week.

I really like what the program is about and how it is structured to help GEMS students succeed. I think last year the acceptances came over snail mail.

Wash metro area people will probably get theirs first.

:xf::luck::xf:

good luck everyone. All the people I met seemed like strong candidates. Wish they could accept us all!

peace

Maybe we all got rejected? lol

It's either we were all real good candidates and its a tough decision, or we all sucked, collectively, and they're debating continuing the program lol

Kidding! Hope To hear soon

this wait is killing me! does anyone know what number I can reach the GEMS office at? I just realized i need to update my contact info :(

you guys have to calm down, it's not the end of the world. GUSOM is extremely chaotic right now. The second years are preparing for boards, the fourth years are graduating on sunday, and there are tons of ceremonies and meetings to attend and plan. So the likelihood of hearing anything before the end of next week is pretty slim. Use this time to reflect rest and enjoy your free time because for those of you who are accepted, you will certainly miss having enough downtime to surf the web and chitchat (but it's all totally worth it) :). good luck to you guys!

you guys have to calm down, it's not the end of the world. GUSOM is extremely chaotic right now. The second years are preparing for boards, the fourth years are graduating on sunday, and there are tons of ceremonies and meetings to attend and plan. So the likelihood of hearing anything before the end of next week is pretty slim. Use this time to reflect rest and enjoy your free time because for those of you who are accepted, you will certainly miss having enough downtime to surf the web and chitchat (but it's all totally worth it) :). good luck to you guys!
Thanks for the update!

Just received a call from Dean Taylor. I got it in! Hoping for good news for everyone else. See you in July for bootcamp.