Gems 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats BlessedAmbition!!! Good luck on your future endeavors :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, just received a phone call from Dr. Walker for an interview invite.

Very excited and nervous. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, just received a phone call from Dr. Walker for an interview invite.

Very excited and nervous. Good luck to everyone!

I received a call today as well!! What day are you schedule for?
Everyone please be calm and patient, I'm coming from out west therefore I was one of the first ones. Good luck guys.

I received a call today as well!! What day are you schedule for?
Everyone please be calm and patient, I'm coming from out west therefore I was one of the first ones. Good luck guys.
Congratulations! I'm scheduled for May 3rd!

I'm from the Midwest and have not received a phone call yet. Were most of the calls in the morning? Bummer:(

I live in the D.C. area and received a phone call this morning from Ms. Wiliams. However, she did not solidify an interview date because the committee is giving preference to out of town students. She wanted to ensure that I had no conflicts on either APril 19 or May 3. The interview is from 8a.m.-6:30!!! Wow!!! What could we possibly do within that loong time frame. Any ideas?

Same Here! I live around DC now, and got a call this morning to leave both those dates tentatively open for out of towners! So Psyched, Can't wait to see georgetown and meet yall!

Anyone know if they are done calling invites for interviews?

Congrats on all the interview invites! Hoping they aren't done calling yet :xf:

Hello everyone. Just a heads-up the GEMS site posted the following update today: "Invitations to interview will be extended between April 5th and April 17th. Applicants will be contacted utilizing information provided on the GEMS application."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. Just a heads-up the GEMS site posted the following update today: "Invitations to interview will be extended between April 5th and April 17th. Applicants will be contacted utilizing information provided on the GEMS application."

Thanks for the heads-up. :xf:

I'm scheduled for April 19th (Gosh, the airline ticket costs too much!)
Does anyone know whether it will be a group interview or one-on-one??

Local also but no call to interview...

Well, here is good luck to all who have been invited to an interview and good luck to those of us (including myself) who is still waiting for an invitation.

I'm scheduled for April 19th (Gosh, the airline ticket costs too much!)
Does anyone know whether it will be a group interview or one-on-one??

There will be 2 one on one interviews with people closely associated with the GEMS program, either deans, other established faculty or former GEMS who're now doctors.

There will be 2 one on one interviews with people closely associated with the GEMS program, either deans, other established faculty or former GEMS who're now doctors.

Hey Ischemic, what do you think is the best way to prepare for this interview? Is there any way you could briefly go through the schedule of your interview day, i.e. interviews in the morning, then a tour, then the exam, etc. Thanks a lot!

Hey Ischemic, what do you think is the best way to prepare for this interview? Is there any way you could briefly go through the schedule of your interview day, i.e. interviews in the morning, then a tour, then the exam, etc. Thanks a lot!

Well the best thing to do to prepare is to go over your GEMS application and remember what you wrote cause you don't want to look silly when you get asked about something you wrote and you can't remember what you had written. Also, and this applies to your med school interviews too, is to read up on current health related topics and the current healthcare system. Obama's healthcare plan is big these days so you probably want to know something about it. Have an opinion but be able to defend it or at least cogently talk about it.

Most of the administrative/testings will be in the morning and the afternoon is where the fun and meat of GEMS occurs. Not gonna tell you what that is cause it'll ruin the fun. Just have fun and enjoy the experience cause believe it or not that's kinda what you'll be doing everyday in GEMS to some extent. Good luck and congrats to those interviewing.

Anyone received any more calls?

Ischemic: Based on your familiarity with the GEMS program, what are our chances for an invitation if we did not receive one this past monday?

Anyone received any more calls?

Ischemic: Based on your familiarity with the GEMS program, what are our chances for an invitation if we did not receive one this past monday?

As someone already mentioned above, they're still reviewing and sending out invites till April 17th so keep up hope till then. Other than that I can't really comment since I'm not involved in any way with admissions. But April 17th is 10 days away and a lot of things can happen in 10 days. It ain't over till it's over man. There've actually been stories of people applying to GEMS multiple times before finally breaking through. Perseverance and dedication with a little help from God is a pretty safe bet for success. Keep your hopes up man.

As someone already mentioned above, they're still reviewing and sending out invites till April 17th so keep up hope till then. Other than that I can't really comment since I'm not involved in any way with admissions. But April 17th is 10 days away and a lot of things can happen in 10 days. It ain't over till it's over man. There've actually been stories of people applying to GEMS multiple times before finally breaking through. Perseverance and dedication with a little help from God is a pretty safe bet for success. Keep your hopes up man.

Aight Ischemic and thanks for your insight. This is my first application and i hope i am successful. I suppose if god is willing.

I received an interview invite today! No date scheduled, it was just asked that I keep both dates open. See you all soon. Excited!!! :D

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who has an interview so far. I got a message from a Mr. Taylor about 2 hours ago. Called and got the voicemail to find out that he is one of the Deans! Hoping he was calling about an interview. Has anyone else received just a message to call back? What was said? What happened when you called back? The suspense is too much!

I got a phone message asking me to call back.

Hello Athens,
I see you interview on the 19th, same as I. Have you found any reasonable hotel fares yet??? And congrats to those who recently received an interview invite!!! I'm still praying for those who are still waiting. Good Luck guys.

Thanks Athens. Message was a good one. Just confirmed my interview for May 3rd. Hoping everyone else will hear soon!

Hi Ischemic - I was hoping you can suggest places to stay close to campus. I know that we will get some docs on the mail, but just wanted to get started. First time to DC!

Hey MD -- Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else with the May 3rd interviews.

Hi Ischemic - I was hoping you can suggest places to stay close to campus. I know that we will get some docs on the mail, but just wanted to get started. First time to DC!

Hey, I live just north of DC so i'll be driving to the interview, but from previous threads it seemed that most intervewees stayed at the Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center. I know its right on campus and probably close enough to walk. If anyone needs help with transportation let me know, I can't promis anything, but i'll try my best!

Hey, I live just north of DC so i'll be driving to the interview, but from previous threads it seemed that most intervewees stayed at the Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center. I know its right on campus and probably close enough to walk. If anyone needs help with transportation let me know, I can't promis anything, but i'll try my best!

Yo, so yeah, a lot of people do stay at the Georgetown Conference Center located pretty much right behind the hospital and med school so it'll be nice and close. It tends to be a little pricey but you can call and see if they have some special deals/discounts for people interviewing at Georgetown med. The other option is to find a hotel/motel in Rosslyn, Va area. It's located across the Key bridge from Georgetown and because it's not in Georgetwon it's cheaper. I personally would recommend to either get a place close by or set up a taxi to come and pick you up in the morning. You DO NOT want to be late to the interview. When they say they start at 8 they mean they start at 8 and for reasons you'll know later punctuality/accountability is very important in GEMS. So, DO NOT BE LATE!!

I wonder if GEMS adcom is reviewing our applications based on when it became complete?

I surely hope so. I"m in the northeast and still no invite. I guess just hold tight.

I will be going on May 3rd.

@MDKracker, I may be interested in something like this (or if anyone else seeks a similar arrangement). Get there the 2nd and leave on the 4th (maybe the 3rd depending on my mode of transport). If you are still looking, or if anyone is looking for a similar arrangement, please PM me and we can hash out the details. I'm a guy.

Also, is the school near the Airport by any chance?

Oh, I have a question: Are you likely to hear back from the adcom sooner if you're interviewed sooner, or will they mail out all decisions by May 29th?

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys,

keep hope alive, i got my interview invite via a phone call last night at like 9pm - which was pretty random but I was stoked ! So theyre still sending them out ! Good luck !!!

Hey ddogark,
I'll stay at my uncle's house in the area.
If not already, GEMS should send you a list of hotels & discounts in the mail.
Good luck to you!

Oh, I have a question: Are you likely to hear back from the adcom sooner if you're interviewed sooner, or will they mail out all decisions by May 29th?

Hi Athens,
Last year all the acceptance letters were mailed out on the same date, which was a couple of weeks after the May interview session. So, I believe everyone is reviewed, again, after both interview sessions.

P.S. Congrats NubQ!!!

I will be going on May 3rd.

Also, is the school near the Airport by any chance?

Which airport, there are three in the area, all of which you can use public transportation to get to DC then a bus to georgetown.. the closest airport to Georgetown would be Reagan Airport (DCA)

hey guys,

keep hope alive, i got my interview invite via a phone call last night at like 9pm - which was pretty random but I was stoked ! So theyre still sending them out ! Good luck !!!

Congratulations man! When is your big date?

Good Luck to all those that are still waiting to hear, Urs will come soon enough!:luck:

I surely hope so. I"m in the northeast and still no invite. I guess just hold tight.

When did you become complete? I became complete about second week of march.

hey guys,

Which state are you in? When was your application complete?

By the way, congrats and good luck.

I wonder if GEMS adcom is reviewing our applications based on when it became complete?

Not sure. If it helps, my application was sent in the final week of the deadline and I was just invited to interview yesterday.

Good luck to those still waiting. :xf:

Hello everybody,

Besides Athens and me, is there any other confirmed April 19th interviewees?? Also, I just realized our interview is almost one week away!! Uggghhhh getting goosebumps lol

Thanks LoveMyRam.

Yo, so yeah, a lot of people do stay at the Georgetown Conference Center located pretty much right behind the hospital and med school so it'll be nice and close. It tends to be a little pricey but you can call and see if they have some special deals/discounts for people interviewing at Georgetown med. The other option is to find a hotel/motel in Rosslyn, Va area. It's located across the Key bridge from Georgetown and because it's not in Georgetwon it's cheaper. I personally would recommend to either get a place close by or set up a taxi to come and pick you up in the morning. You DO NOT want to be late to the interview. When they say they start at 8 they mean they start at 8 and for reasons you'll know later punctuality/accountability is very important in GEMS. So, DO NOT BE LATE!!

Thanks Ischemic. Hope we get a chance to meet on May 3rd. You have been very helpful to everyone!

I received a call a few days to interview :D. looking forward to meeting you all!