Gems 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a call a few days to interview :D. looking forward to meeting you all!

What day is your interview? Congratulations!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I interview on the 19th.

I'm pretty nervous but excited too.

The date is so near... what suit/ outfit is everyone wearing?

I'm thinking about wearing my old gray suit with my baby blue shirt and tie. Its hasn't failed me in job interviews yet.:luck:

Best of luck to everyone. and to those who haven't received interviews.. the website says they're extending invites between the 5th to the 17th, I think. Hopefully there's still more pending!

Just got word today that my interview is April 19th! Can't wait to see yall then!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing on the 19th also. Just one week away!!! Both nervous & excited all at the same time. See you guys then! :)

Ram,
I live in the D.C. area and still waiting for a solified date. Did you receive any letter in the mail or did they just call you?

I received a confirmation email today confirming the date.

Last edited:
I live in the DC area also and received a confirmation email today confirming the date.

Same, I got an email confirmation too wolff.. check your spam or any other filters u may have set on your email. Im thinkin all the out of towners took may 4th cuz of the cheaper tickets, so you'll probably end up with us!

Im coming from out west and never been to DC. So, Im excited about the trip and meeting you guys. Hopefully, next week will be the start of a long relationship for us. For those who are still waiting, be patient because decisions are still being made. Take care guys

Last edited:
Okay, checked my spam and nothing. If I don't receive information by Wednesday, I will email them. Although, I don't want to come off as pushy...

Last edited:
Okay, checked my spam and nothing. If I don't receive information by Wednesday, I will email them. Although, I don't want to come off as pushy...

I know it's hard but you gotta be patient. If you are in the DC area then they still have a couple more days to notify you, or they might have scheduled you for the May interview.

Did anyone receive directions to the GEMS office or the location for the interview? For those who received interview dates, did you receive a packet in the mail?

Did anyone receive directions to the GEMS office or the location for the interview? For those who received interview dates, did you receive a packet in the mail?

I received a letter from GEMS containing an agenda. Direction wise, it only states the address for GT SOM and the room we will be meeting in the morning. If one of you guys (who are interviewing on the 19th) need the info PM me, I will be more than happy to forward the info.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm. Did any D.C. area residents receive this letter? I haven't received anything, thus far...

I got the same info, agenda, location, parking etc attached to the email. It also says theyve mailed out a hard copy via mail but i haven't received it yet.

I interview on the 19th.

I'm pretty nervous but excited too.

The date is so near... what suit/ outfit is everyone wearing?

I'm thinking about wearing my old gray suit with my baby blue shirt and tie. Its hasn't failed me in job interviews yet.:luck:

Best of luck to everyone. and to those who haven't received interviews.. the website says they're extending invites between the 5th to the 17th, I think. Hopefully there's still more pending!

The outfit sounds like a winner :D

Here is to hoping for a call today. Off to work I go.

Patience is truly a virtue. Received email with all the info this morning. See you guys April 19th. And goodluck to those who are still waiting--its torturous, but keep the faith (i know its easier said than done!)

Patience is truly a virtue. Received email with all the info this morning. See you guys April 19th. And goodluck to those who are still waiting--its torturous, but keep the faith (i know its easier said than done!)

Congrats Wolff313, it was coming. See yah Monday!

Did anyone notice that the invite letter states that the "assessment tests will assist the GEMS Admissions Committee with final decisions". Now, I'm a bit nervous because I thought the tests did not have a bearing on the decisions. Can anyone elucidate...?

Did anyone notice that the invite letter states that the "assessment tests will assist the GEMS Admissions Committee with final decisions". Now, I'm a bit nervous because I thought the tests did not have a bearing on the decisions. Can anyone elucidate...?

Ya i noticed it too, but it also said that it would help the office with finding the right activities for the accepted students. Because of that and that they keep stating that no preparation is needed, i dont think we should worry too much about it, i dont see the assesment as having a final say on acceptance.

This question is for anyone in the D.C. area or Current/Past GEMS. What is the cheapest way to get from Dulles airport to Georgetown on a Sunday??

Dulles is in Virginia, therefore I would recommend SuperShuttle. Its going to be pricey (i think) from Virginia to Georgetown, but its an option that will definitely get you there. Make sure to have the address of the destination so they can be accurate. Infact, I take SuperShuttle everytime I travel.

Dulles is in Virginia, therefore I would recommend SuperShuttle. Its going to be pricey (i think) from Virginia to Georgetown, but its an option that will definitely get you there. Make sure to have the address of the destination so they can be accurate. Infact, I take SuperShuttle everytime I travel.

Thanks!!

there's also a bus that goes from dulles and stops at Rosslyn, VA which is right across the bridge from Georgetown. You can take the bus for 2 bucks or something and then just walk a bit and find a cab to take you to the hotel. All in all it's cheaper but whatever you feel like taking. Just don't do a cab since it's almost a 40 minute ride and can run you 60 bucks or so.

there's also a bus that goes from dulles and stops at Rosslyn, VA which is right across the bridge from Georgetown. You can take the bus for 2 bucks or something and then just walk a bit and find a cab to take you to the hotel. All in all it's cheaper but whatever you feel like taking. Just don't do a cab since it's almost a 40 minute ride and can run you 60 bucks or so.

Thanks Ischemic, I am going to do this option. Whats the name for this bus service?

Thanks Ischemic, I am going to do this option. Whats the name for this bus service?

It's public transportation. I believe it's called 5A? Just google, bus route from dulles to rosslyn, VA and it should give you information on bus and times.

Has anyone else receive an invite since the last wave?

April 19th interviewees:
ddogark
Wolff313
MysteryMeat
LoveMyRam
ladydoc09

(anyone else?)

Last edited by a moderator:
April 19th interviewees:
Athens (me)
ddogark
Wolff313
MysteryMeat
LoveMyRam
ladydoc09

(anyone else?)

Good luck to everyone interviewing on Monday.

I am still holding on to hope....

Anyone know how many students they interview for how many seats? Im so much more nervous now since I drove around the campus and DC yesterday - Im soooo in love with this place!

Good luck to everyone interviewing on April 19th! If you have a chance later in the week, let us know your impressions. Thanks!

Anyone know how many students they interview for how many seats? Im so much more nervous now since I drove around the campus and DC yesterday - Im soooo in love with this place!

Going by last years posts.. I think they invite little over 20 each interview date and some number between the high 20s and low thirties get in..

and HONK!!!!!

I feel like this these guys :eek::scared::D at the same time

I know you guys have been pressing F5 all day but I'm going to comment on my interview experience. When the day ended I still didn't believe the day was over. I placed really high expectations for the program and those expectations were far surpassed! Everyone involved in the GEMS program know exactly what they are doing. They are great, wise people (from the Deans, to the professors, and to the current and past GEMS students). Everyone was helpful and genuine. Those waiting for the May interview will see exactly what I mean. Don't worry just be yourself. All and all, fantastic experience and I am praying for an acceptance, along with everyone who interviewed with me. I'm going to lay off SDN for some time. Good luck guys!!

Question, is it possible to get from Georgetown to Union Station in let's say....1hr?-1hr 20 mins? late in the afternoon?

Thx.

Question, is it possible to get from Georgetown to Union Station in let's say....1hr?-1hr 20 mins? late in the afternoon?

Thx.

Definitely, it took me 30 minutes.. Take the D6 bus eastbound, the stop is right in front of the med school, to dupont circle. Get off at dupont (massachussets st.) and take the redline train towards glenmont.

I loved the interview, especially the last couple hours, ddogark said it perfectly! It felt very much like a family environment, like home. The other interviewees were all awesome too, dont know how theyre gonna pick, but lets all pray!

Thanks to everyone who interviewed on April 19th for posting about your experience. I am getting a little nervous, but look forward to the day on May 3rd. Anyone staying at the Georgetown Conference Hotel? Maybe we can grab dinner on Sunday? Please post or PM. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for posting their comments about their interview on April 19th. I had a quick question for everyone who interviewed on April 19th. Did the actual interview end at 6:30 pm? I ask because I'm about to book my flight and the latest return time for my flight is 6:00 pm. How did you guys manage getting to the airport on time? Please let me know.

Hello,

My luggage accompanied me on interview day; it was perfectly fine. The room where you will spend a significant portion of the afternoon (and introduction) activities was locked and secure. There were no lockers nor storage space allocated to luggage, per se, simply leaving it in the back of the room worked well for me.

totally forgot to track down emails to send thank you notes, you guys think its too late to do so?