Gems 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year today the other GEMS had 1,152 posts. We have a huge 301!! YAY :laugh: Other than the six of us that are posting back and forth, hopefully the other 21 students are friendly. On a lighter note I just booked a flight to DC for this Wednesday. I am on a mission to sign a lease. If any of you want me to let you know what is out there and that is not posted (Hidden Gems (pun intended)) let me know. :D

Members don't see this ad.

haha good luck finding a lease. It seems that the closest place to school thats still cheap is glover park, not sure what the neighborhood is like though, but please give as a good idea of what neighborhoods are good or have cheap prices.

Also, since were almost at 4 weeks til the start, whoever is in town for July 4th- we should all get together and do something, maybe check out fireworks at the white house or something like it, for whoever is interested!

Ram, this sounds like a great idea! im in!

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread seems dead =/

I'm still trying to find a place. Does anyone that is familiar with the area advise against a place near Howard U. or Capitol Heights?

Also, keep us updated on your plans for July 4th!!, I may be down there at that time but there is a possibility that I'll be stuck in a lab =/ .

Hope to see you all soon.

Ladies & Gentlemen, it's officially showtime in less than a week...T-6 days!!!! Is anyone else ready to get this show on the road?

Last edited:
Ladies & Gentlemen, it's officially showtime in less than a week...T-6 days!!!! Is anyone else ready to get this show on the road? :soexcited:

lol, it's good you have enthusiasm and excitement. Hope you continue feeling like this as the year progresses and it gets more challenging.

Just a question: What courses do GEMS students take? And which ones are MEDICAL courses?

Just a question: What courses do GEMS students take? And which ones are MEDICAL courses?

the non-medical classes tend to vary from year to year but the medical classes you take will be the cardiopulmonary, renal and GI modules.

:)hey, im in your situation too

what post-bac are you pursuing?:confused:

hi guys. congrats to all those who have been accepted into the program! i feel very fortunate to have been offered a position but am also in a dilemma. if you had to choose between GEMS, Ohio State MedPath, or a University of California (UC) postbacc program, which would you choose and why? Here are some of my thoughts:

GEMS - pros: awesome staff, camaraderie among students, intense program that will provide great preparation for med school, class size: ~30-40, considering one does well high chance of matriculating at georgetown med the next year (no glide year). cons: weather and very high cost of tuition/living.

Ohio State MedPath: pros: amazing school, incredible support system (they basically do everything in their power to help you succeed), conditional acceptance to Ohio State SOM the following fall (no glide year), 15 students in cohort, in-state tuition for med school, very affordable cost of living. cons: weather and location?

UC postbacc: pros: unbeatable city with great diversity and nice weather year-round, 10-15 students in cohort, very high success rate of getting into med school. cons: will have to take glide year and do the whole amcas, secondaries, interviews thing again after postbacc year (that's what they recommend as opposed to applying during the postbacc year so that you can show that your grades improved), no guarantees/linkages though at least 50% of the students who graduate from the program end up being accepted to one or more med schools in California. Maybe 1 yr isn't much in the long run, but I've already taken time off after college to work and don't want to waste any more time when I'd rather be in med school and studying!

Sorry for the long post but I really need some input and would appreciate your feedback. Truth be told, here's what it boils down to: Am I willing to give up a conditional acceptance to Georgetown/Ohio State to participate in the UC postbacc? Am I willing to take these chances for the hope of getting in to a CA med school? This means I'll have a take a glide year and go through the money-draining, anxiety-producing, emotional roller coaster of applying all over again (i.e. amcas, secondaries, interviews if I'm lucky enough). There are no guarantees I'll get into a medical school later or even one as great as Georgetown or Ohio State. Ultimately, I'd like to stay in CA, and if you can't tell already, the weather is a very important consideration for me. I feel like I'm at my best (academically, socially, etc.) when the weather is nice. I need a lot of natural light! But hey, beggars can't be choosers, right?

For the GEMS program ( 2011-2012), do I need to have my AMCAS application verified this year before applying?

For the GEMS program ( 2011-2012), do I need to have my AMCAS application verified this year before applying?

Hey elusiveCHILD, if the application criteria is the same as last year, you will have to AMCAS verified and sent to at-least one school by November 1st.

Hey Everyone!

I last applied to medical school in 2009 and was not accepted to medical school. I will be reapplying in the next application cycle. 2011-2012. Can I use my 2009 AMCAS application for GEMS next application cycle opening up on Feb. 15th, 2011?

Thanks

Hey Everyone!

I last applied to medical school in 2009 and was not accepted to medical school. I will be reapplying in the next application cycle. 2011-2012. Can I use my 2009 AMCAS application for GEMS next application cycle opening up on Feb. 15th, 2011?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you need a current AMCAS but call the GEMS office to check for sure.

Hi, Can someone send me a pdf of the application from last year or a list of questions that they asked in the application? I wanna apply to the 2011-2012 GEMS program and want to get started on my application as early as possible. Feel free to send me a private message. Thank you. :)

Hi, Can someone send me a pdf of the application from last year or a list of questions that they asked in the application? I wanna apply to the 2011-2012 GEMS program and want to get started on my application as early as possible. Feel free to send me a private message. Thank you. :)

Sorry for the late response, it has been busy around here. It will not be fair for the other applicants by sending you an application before the date it is made available. However, the application is very straight forward. Just like any medical application, the committee wants to know who you are, why did you decided to apply to GEMS, goals, and etc. Just make sure you meet the requirements listed on the GEMS website. Any more questions feel free to reply on the discussion board so other applicants can see. GOOD LUCK!

PS: one month away from the application drop date, someone should start a 2011-2012 thread!