Gems 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeautyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying this year? or rather who is applying this year? Does any former GEMS students know what the LOR requirements are? I know the application doesnt open up until the 15th but I wanted to get a head start on asking for LOR. Thanks.
-BeautyDoc

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone applying this year? or rather who is applying this year? Does any former GEMS students know what the LOR requirements are? I know the application doesnt open up until the 15th but I wanted to get a head start on asking for LOR. Thanks.
-BeautyDoc

I'm thinking of applying and have been trying to get as much info on their acceptance rates as possible.....

There is no guarantee so I really wanted to know what are my chances of getting in the following year...if you have any insights, I'll really appreciate it....

Apps open up Feb 15th....

-BeautyDoc

From what I understand, if you applied to med school you can use those LOR. Do you know what the stats are for the program? Did you apply to any other programs? SIU Medprep? Creighton? OSU? just want to get an idea of what other programs people applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of applying and have been trying to get as much info on their acceptance rates as possible.....
There is no guarantee so I really wanted to know what are my chances of getting in the following year...if you have any insights, I'll really appreciate it....

Apps open up Feb 15th....

Yea, I was wondering about their acceptance rates as well...I was digging through some old threads but I really didn't get a good idea of the type of applicants that were accepted, except the obvious being that their numbers were low, but I dont know how low.....

From what I understand, if you applied to med school you can use those LOR. Do you know what the stats are for the program? Did you apply to any other programs? SIU Medprep? Creighton? OSU? just want to get an idea of what other programs people applied to.

I got an email from them answering my LOR question and they said all we need is 2 letters from science professors.....The averages for, I believe, 2006-2008 are posted on their site but none from last year. I applied to DPMS, the one year master's program at Mississippi College and I will be applying to GEMS (even though with my MCAT scores I feel will be a long shot) and I also want to apply to a couple other places but just not sure where though....

Can someone tell me what the GEMS curriculum consists of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All:
I am planning on applying to GEMS for the 2010-2011 school year. I am wondering how much of a stickler GEMS is for MCAT and science GPA. For example, my undergraduate science GPA is low, but I completed a Masters of Science (all science courses, hence the title), and that average is high. So, I wonder how they will evaluate me?

As I puruse the website it seems as though the applicant pool flunctuates, some years its high others its mild. I wonder if many students will be applying this year. What do you guys think?

Wow I'm really glad for this site because I would have never found this program. After reading up on it, I am definitely applying. Like Wolff313, I am in the process of completing a Master's in Exercise Physiology and that GPA is higher than the GEMS average, do you think this will hurt?

Stats:
sGPA: 2.88
uGPA: 3.25
MCAT: 25Q 10V, 7P, 8B
gGPA: 3.35

Thanks, and good luck everyone!

Hey all, hope the application process is going well. I did the program last year and it was an amazing experience ... hard, yes, but amazing nonetheless. Application pool does vary but usually in the several hundred range. They interview about 60ish people and about half are accepted bringing the class sizes from mid 20s to low 30s.

Curriculum revolves around a graduate biochem class and 3 med school classes: cardiopulmonary, GI and renal. The rest of the year will be filled with additional enrichment science classes which varies from year to year but are still actual classes taken with other grad students. Your time will be filled, when not in class, with small group and facilitated sessions. Full time job 8-4/5 people be sure you're committed to this.

Hey all, hope the application process is going well. I did the program last year and it was an amazing experience ... hard, yes, but amazing nonetheless. Application pool does vary but usually in the several hundred range. They interview about 60ish people and about half are accepted bringing the class sizes from mid 20s to low 30s.

Curriculum revolves around a graduate biochem class and 3 med school classes: cardiopulmonary, GI and renal. The rest of the year will be filled with additional enrichment science classes which varies from year to year but are still actual classes taken with other grad students. Your time will be filled, when not in class, with small group and facilitated sessions. Full time job 8-4/5 people be sure you're committed to this.

Thanks Ischemic :)

Thanks Ischemic! Are you a med student at Georgetown? Did you feel that the program is extra competitive--both getting in and trying to matriculate into georgtown afterwards? Were there a lot of people from your program that ultimately got into Georgetown? When you get a moment please answer :) We appreciate your insight!

Thanks Ischemic! Are you a med student at Georgetown? Did you feel that the program is extra competitive--both getting in and trying to matriculate into georgtown afterwards? Were there a lot of people from your program that ultimately got into Georgetown? When you get a moment please answer :) We appreciate your insight!

Hey,

Yes, I'm currently an M1 at Georgetown after what was a grueling year in GEMS. I can't say much about getting into GEMS except that I was lucky enough to get an interview and acceptance afterwards. Trying to get into Gtown was definitely a stressful time. Academics was a major focus, trying to HP and Honor all the med classes to show I belong. But there's always the intangibles that can make or break your application. However, that's not relevant at the moment as you're just still trying to get into GEMS first, once you're in then you can/should worry about Gtown Med.

A good 60% got in Georgetown, 5-6 got into other med schools so around 80% of kids get in somewhere. GEMS has a good track record of getting kids into Gtown though but always be prepared as anything can happen.

Thanks.
So you took med courses + grad courses.
For med courses, you had to score HP or above,
how about for grad courses? How were they graded?
Were you automatically accepted to Gtown Med upon successful completion of the program?

Thanks.
Were you automatically accepted to Gtown Med upon successful completion of the program?

For LOR, does anyone know if it is okay to use the same ones you used to apply for med?

Members don't see this ad :)
Letters from your pre-med advisory committee, or the letters you received while applying to med school are fine to use .

Last edited:
Thanks.

The biochem grad courses were graded the same way P, HP, Honors but the comparison was not against the grad students but relative to how your other GEMS classmates did. The profs then set what grades were P, HP, H depending on the GEMS relative mean. The other grad course was also P, HP, H but your grade was compared to how everyone else in the class did. These things vary so just try to always do the best you can.

No, like anything in life there are no guarantees. You do your best and hope that that was enough to convince the adcom that you belong. Academic performance is a big part on if you get in or not but it's not the only thing considered. Professionalism, maturity, personality all of that comes into play one way or another. How much? No one knows for sure. But you can think about it this way. 70% of kids from GEMS do get into Georgetown, so there "technically" is a seat for you waiting for you if you do your best. That seat is yours to lose if you mess around. Good way to motivate yourself throughout the year.

I plan on applying to this program as well! I'm really not concerned with other applicants though and their "stats" Just be confident with what you have, you are what your are, numbers wise anyways. If your meet the program requirements, just apply, if you don't, do not apply as obviously you don't meet the requirements.
I do have a question however for anyone who has been in the program before. If a student has taken the January 2010 MCAT, an submits their application before their score is received, how should they go about reporting their score once it comes in? I'm pretty sure the score will be in before the March 15th deadline. LOL maybe I should just call Georgetown but its the weekend :)

Last edited:
I plan on applying to this program as well! I'm really not concerned with other applicants though and their "stats" Just be confident with what you have, you are what your are, numbers wise anyways. If your meet the program requirements, just apply, if you don't, do not apply as obviously you don't meet the requirements.
I do have a question however for anyone who has been in the program before. If a student has taken the January 2010 MCAT, an submits their application before their score is received, how should they go about reporting their score once it comes in? I'm pretty sure the score will be in before the March 15th deadline. LOL maybe I should just call Georgetown but its the weekend :)

I believe the requirements for 2010-2011 states the MCAT has to be taken by Oct, and your AMCAS has to be filed by Nov 2009. If you took a previous MCAT before Jan then you should be fine

Wow, the application is long!

I'm considering applying to GEMS as well, my only real hangup is the price. Georgetown is without a doubt the most expensive postbac I've seen. Does the actual program worth all the money that I spent in it (assuming that I get in and actually successfully complete the program) compared to other more cheaper postbacs?

I'm considering applying to GEMS as well, my only real hangup is the price. Georgetown is without a doubt the most expensive postbac I've seen. Does the actual program worth all the money that I spent in it (assuming that I get in and actually successfully complete the program) compared to other more cheaper postbacs?

yes

One question asks, "Explain your current academic status and plans until July 2010"...
Then another question asks:
"Explain your current vocational status and plans until July 2010"...
Does it really ask about my work-related experience?????

One question asks, "Explain your current academic status and plans until July 2010"...
Then another question asks:
"Explain your current vocational status and plans until July 2010"...
Does it really ask about my work-related experience?????

Yep, just write down what you're doing for work. If you're a full time student then just write down you're not working and are a full time student.

def long..and i have what they would call fair credit.. and they are asking a lot of questions about creditworthiness.. i wonder would that be something that would dq u from the program..

This ^^

Sup everyone,
I am also applying to 2010-11 GEMS program.

I had a question regarding question no 22("If you are admitted to the GEMS Program, what if any obstacles would you need to overcome to assure your fullest participation in the program?").

Is this question referring to obstacles such as moving to D.C and finances? Or this question referring to study habits, confidence etc. Please let me know.

I think that question refers to both.

About the application:
If you type the answers directly into pdf file, you can't save it.
If you type in Words, you can't copy & paste it to pdf.
How do you complete the app.?

Sup everyone,
I am also applying to 2010-11 GEMS program.

I had a question regarding question no 22("If you are admitted to the GEMS Program, what if any obstacles would you need to overcome to assure your fullest participation in the program?").

Is this question referring to obstacles such as moving to D.C and finances? Or this question referring to study habits, confidence etc. Please let me know.

From reading through older threads, I would say more along these lines.......

I think that question refers to both.

About the application:
If you type the answers directly into pdf file, you can't save it.
If you type in Words, you can't copy & paste it to pdf.
How do you complete the app.?

Greetings all, I am a current GEMS student and here to help wherever I can. My best advice in this stage of the process is to review the old posts if you can. There is a lot of information to be obtained there. Besides that, I can offer first hand knowledge regarding my experience here so far, so feel free to message me here or personally to ask any questions you have. We are preparing for a test next week but I will get to your messages as often as I can. Good Luck

As for your question, a lot of us last year simply wrote as legibly as possible on a printed out version of the application.

Q: What do you consider to be your community? To what extent and in what way are you involved in your community?

--> Is it asking about "future GEMS community", or about my community service?

Q: What do you consider to be your community? To what extent and in what way are you involved in your community?

--> Is it asking about "future GEMS community", or about my community service?
I believe it's the community you come from or as you mentioned your involvement in your community.

Hey Everybody,

I've been on pins and needles for months waiting for the 15th (Long Shot MCAT). Now that its here I see on the app that it calls for my SAT scores. WHY? I guess I'll have to dig those up, but, man, I haven't seen those scores in a few years.

Hey Everybody,

I've been on pins and needles for months waiting for the 15th (Long Shot MCAT). Now that its here I see on the app that it calls for my SAT scores. WHY? I guess I'll have to dig those up, but, man, I haven't seen those scores in a few years.

Same here.... I didnt even take the SAT, I guess they may want my ACT though, I'll have to ask about that.

About the SAT scores, you can check the "memory/recall" box without sending official report.

About the SAT scores, you can check the "memory/recall" box without sending official report.

Ok, Cool. Thanx, Athens. I actually dug out the old Scores (thank God my mom's too sentimental to throw stuff like that away). I'm now just stuck on the part about "community" and "how I plan to utilize my GEMS experience if excepted."

Okay, well... my run for the GEMS is over before it started. I apparently didn't read the thing about the current MCAT:eek:. I applied for the 2009 entering class and was advised against reapplying and thus avoid possibly having to apply a third time, which I was informed would held against me:(. Ah well... dang. My loss, right? Good luck to everyone else!

Why is that? I've heard that some people applied twice to GEMS.

Why is that? I've heard that some people applied twice to GEMS.

I was talking about my AMCAS app. I would've definitely applied to the GEMS program more than once... I only have an AMCAS from 2009 so I guesss my runs over :(

Okay, didn't want to just throw in the towel so I sent GEMS an email and they asked me to forward them a copy of my 09 AMCAS and they'd get back to me. Now I guess I'll play the waiting game :xf:

For those that are applying, I was wondering what your stats were? I know that the website has averages of the past but I'm not sure if I should apply or not ( gpa 2.9 MCAT 21)?

Lucky...most SMPs require a 3.0 and your MCAT is horrific.

You'll need to get north of 3.0 for most SMPs (GEMS may be an exception) and retake the MCAT

What are the kinds of tests that the applicants must complete during the interview day? Do they affect the final admission decision?

For those that are applying, I was wondering what your stats were? I know that the website has averages of the past but I'm not sure if I should apply or not ( gpa 2.9 MCAT 21)?

Lucky, as I read in another thread on GEMS last year, let them rule you out....I know your numbers are on the lower end, but you never know until you try. Just my 2 cents :)

What are the kinds of tests that the applicants must complete during the interview day? Do they affect the final admission decision?

The tests you will be taking will be basic science type of stuff: bio, chem, biochem, etc. If you studied for the MCATs you should at least be familiar with the concepts on this test. No, the test will not have any bearing on the admission decision.

Lucky, you should go ahead and apply. If your story is compelling enough you should at least get an interview and then maybe an acceptance. Like someone said, let the committee decide if you're acceptable or not ... don't live with what ifs just do and see what happens.

The tests you will be taking will be basic science type of stuff: bio, chem, biochem, etc. If you studied for the MCATs you should at least be familiar with the concepts on this test. No, the test will not have any bearing on the admission decision.

Lucky, you should go ahead and apply. If your story is compelling enough you should at least get an interview and then maybe an acceptance. Like someone said, let the committee decide if you're acceptable or not ... don't live with what ifs just do and see what happens.

Thanks Ischemic! Their response was the same as yours, so I think I'm gonna try and hope for the best!

Q: "If you are admitted to the GEMS Program, what if any obstacles would you need to overcome to assure your fullest participation in the program?"
Do I need to say how I'd overcome those obstacles, too?

Q: "If you are admitted to the GEMS Program, what if any obstacles would you need to overcome to assure your fullest participation in the program?"
Do I need to say how I'd overcome those obstacles, too?
I believe you just need to mention the obstacles because there is not enough space provided on how to overcome those obstacles.