*******GA-PCOM Class of 2012********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else going to the get together in April? I'm looking into cheaper flights so I can go..

Members don't see this ad.

If you are looking for an apartment, I like where I live at The Preserve. It is across from Gwinett Med and has lots of shopping nearby. You are welcome to come visit when you are in town. I should have a washer and dryer for sale at some point, if you need one. I may even have a living room suite to unload, too. Congrats to everyone accepted for the 2012 class!

Is anyone else going to the get together in April? I'm looking into cheaper flights so I can go..

I won't be able to go since I'll be in Atl just the weekend before that for a wedding...can't afford to fly from TX two weekends in a row! But I believe UNCLori said that there's a roommate search form that you can request and they'll put your name on it...as far as other information given that day, hopefully others will share =) Have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
yep, ill be there too. And immediately after, its off to the beach with my wife for spring break. good times!

What's the dress code for this? Is it a formal event (suit/tie) or a slacks/button down or what? Also, Jwalker9, are you bringing your wife or flying solo? My girlfriend would like to come along, but don't know if it's appropriate or not...

What's the dress code for this? Is it a formal event (suit/tie) or a slacks/button down or what? Also, Jwalker9, are you bringing your wife or flying solo? My girlfriend would like to come along, but don't know if it's appropriate or not...

Id say the lighter side of business casual. Ill probably wear khakis and a polo or button down or something. I actually emailed chrissy about whether or not this was good event to bring my wife to and she said it was fine to bring her. So yeah, its appropriate to bring your SO. I'm not sure if my wife will come along for sure or not, but its cool that she can if she wants to. I'm looking forward to it.

I was accepted, yippee!!! :) I finally got the acceptance email two evenings ago--no letter/package yet, but I will hopefully be receiving them soon. Did anyone else get an email first?

I'll be in Guatemala on a medical mission trip April 5, so I'll have to miss the meet-and-greet. Oh well, I know I'll have a blast assisting in surgery. Is anyone else interested in missions?

I'm getting married in June and my husband-to-be and I are looking for a relatively cheap place to live. Please PM me with any suggestions.

I can't wait to meet all of you in August!

is it worth attending ?

I got a drive 2.30 hrs to ATL and 2.30hrs back. That makes 5 hrs of driving.
I dislike driving very much.

Hi all. I made this post in the Housing Message Board on the PCOM nucleus. I thought I'd post it here as well since I won't be able to make the orientation to meet potential roommates.

I'm looking for a 2 BR/2 BA apartment and 1 roommate to share with.

I am most interested in finding a place nearby school and in a nice area. I wouldn't mind staying in a house or 3 BR apartment either, as long as I have my own room.

Some places I like so far are Colonial Grand at McGinnis Ferry and Madison at River Sound. I am completely open to other places as well.

A little about myself: I'm from California, enjoy sports, exercising, and going to church. I'm also very clean and won't be bringing any pets.

Please reply here, email me, or message me on AIM (my name is NWA11).

Kyle

Although i'm not looking for a roomie I definitely want to know where everyone is thinking of living, apartment complexes, or neighborhoods and such because I would definitely like to live near other people in our class :D I too want to live as close to school as possible, and possibly in an animal friendly complex because I really want to get a dog eventually.

Although i'm not looking for a roomie I definitely want to know where everyone is thinking of living, apartment complexes, or neighborhoods and such because I would definitely like to live near other people in our class :D I too want to live as close to school as possible, and possibly in an animal friendly complex because I really want to get a dog eventually.

I have a plethora of housing stuff for you all to look at tomorrow! Apartment guides, recommended apartments that students live in, housing for rent/sale, roommate interest forms, etc. We will also be emailing out this information to all people who were not able to come to the welcome tomorrow. :) See you all there!

Testing the updated sig line...

Jwalker: I just feel like they have a lot to offer. From the small classes to the nice weather, and everything Atlanta would have to offer a medical student. I'm going to look into doing some volunteering at Grady, maybe one night per week. I would like to make some contacts there, as well as just keep up what I'm doing now. I would probably like to eventually do an elective rotation there, especially if I decide to pursue Trauma surgery.

For me, there are few DO schools that can offer me what GA-PCOM can. That's why I'm pretty much sold on them.

I am excited you guys are going to join our GA-PCOM family. I am just a first year, but someone who will give you some unsolicited advice. You will not have time to volunteer at Grady one night a week. It is 20 plus miles away from campus (I live not too far from Grady) and you will want to focus on passing your classes, as well as taking some time for yourself. Get adjusted first and then add extra items like volunteering to the mix. I am sure you are extremely intelligent and used to juggling a million things, but you are in a whole different ball game now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to everyone, I was dead set on joining you at GA-PCOM but I found that I am better suited to go to PCOM. I hope my spot helps someone out.

Pulpgrinder: one reason I want to do this is because I think it will be theraputic for me. A few hours a week won't kill me. I've worked at or volunteered at a busy trauma center on a regular basis for the last three years, and it is something I really have fun with. I have given this some thought, and I think it will be a good outlet for me.

TexasTriAthlete,
You should consider volunteering at the free clinic that our school is associated with. You will get to take vitals, take patient histories and follow the docs into the rooms. Your second year they really let you tell them what you think is going on and whatnot. I learned how to put on an EKG, do a urinalysis, glucose stick, etc. It's a great resource and our Dean volunteers once a month as well. Many of my classmates and I volunteered here on a regular basis. Honestly, it all depends on how well you manage your time. you probably won't have time to do it every week (at least not second year), but volunteering isn't completely out of the question. I know I could have done it on a more regular basis if I hadn't been involved in so many clubs. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but def check out the free clinic when you get on campus. it's a lot of fun.

lori

Thanks for the info. I will look into that as well.

I work in an ER, so I have practice with some of that stuff already.

As for managing my time, that is partly why I want to volunteer. If I have every minute of my day dictated to me, I will do great. If I have a lot of time where I can procrastinate, I will put things off indefinitely, and not get done what I need to. My best semesters in college have been my hardest ones, and I've had some really bad ones where my load was light and easy.

Could someone name the top 3 apartments that students live at?

I've heard a few live at AMLI at McGinnis Ferry and Madison at River Sound. Any others?

Thanks!!

I was looking for apartments online and they had "high-speed internet" as one of their features.

So, is it included in the cost of the rent or we have to activate it and pay separately?

I don't want local phone line and cable TV, is DSL cheaper than Highspeed alone or no difference?

I went to look at McGinnis Ferry while I was down there last weekend, and I loved the lay out. Also it's only 3 miles away from school. :love:

Hey guys. Just sent in my 2K deposit. I was going back and forth with another school but I am now officially locked into PCOM-GA:) It looks like everyone is already apartment hunting. I wasn't even gonna start looking until July. Think that's a bad idea?

I won't be going down to visit apartments until July also, but I'm trying to get as much apt "research" I can do online now.

I won't be going down to visit apartments until July also, but I'm trying to get as much apt "research" I can do online now.

to PSU04 and dallasannie
I am not doing anything until july.

may be we all can be roommate when we start looking for in july.

to PSU04 and dallasannie

may be we all can be roommate when we start looking for in july.

Thanks for the offer, but after having roommates all throughout college, I am going to save up extra to get my own place this time.

"to PSU04 and dallasannie

may be we all can be roommate when we start looking for in july"

I'll actually be looking for a place of my own also, but I'm sure you'll be able to find some roomies...

:idea:Hello new classmates. I'm a 1st year now and I will be out of town this summer. I want to sublet my apartment if I can. Anybody who may want to get a place to hang out while you find a house or want to move in early and take on a new lease let me know.

My lease runs out Aug 16. It's about 6-7 min from the school. Nice apartments. Pool, workout area, tennis, nice trees, and you can have dogs/cats, washer/dryer hookups...

If intersted: [email protected]

Anybody dropped out (not sent the deposit in)?;):idea:

The first time board passing rate for GA-PCOM was an 80%. There are 6 students, as of now, that have not passed their boards. The Primary Passing Rate was nowhere near 90-92% as UNClori stated. Just keeping it real. If you have any other questions concerning ANYTHING about this school, I will not hesitate to tell you the truth.

The first time board passing rate for GA-PCOM was an 80%. There are 6 students, as of now, that have not passed their boards. The Primary Passing Rate was nowhere near 90-92% as UNClori stated. Just keeping it real. If you have any other questions concerning ANYTHING about this school, I will not hesitate to tell you the truth.

Let me just go ahead an clear this up....At the time that I wrote the post that I believe you are referring to in March, I was quoting a number that Dean Evans had told me personally.

Since then I have found that the number that he had quoted me was the "overall" pass rate for the first class. Doing the math (approximately 73-74/80) the overall pass rate is somewhere around 90-92%. The first time pass-rate, however, is not 90-92%. I was never told officially how many actually passed their first time around, so I can't say what our first-time pass rate was. It could be 80% as gapcomDOC says - I just dont have a reliable source that has told me that information. I just know that I have not heard a hard number since the last time I asked (admittedly quite a while ago now that I have boards to study for) they were waiting for scores to be reported to them from students who took the exam months after other students took the exam.

Anyway, please don't think I'm trying to mislead anyone in any way. I too am honest about the school.

Anyway, everyone have a great summer (all of us soon to be third years are wishing we had a summer!) and I can't wait to see everyone in the fall when I'm around :) I'm done with SDN until after Boards.....hopefully :)

Passing the boards has much more to do with knowledge of what will be tested and finding time to learn that material. The only reason I think some people failed in my class was that they underestimated the time and effort it takes to do well. There was no class ahead of us to tell us what to do and not to do. So some people took advice from professors that have never taken comlex and Drs who havnt taken Comlex in many years. They just didnt put enough effort in it. With all the changes going on with the current 2nd yrs I will not be supprised to see 98-100% pass.

Also there were plenty of people in my class that did VERY well on both USMLE and COMLEX. When boards time hits 2nd year, get back on SDN and do your research on how to beat the beast.

Passing the boards has much more to do with knowledge of what will be tested and finding time to learn that material. The only reason I think some people failed in my class was that they underestimated the time and effort it takes to do well. There was no class ahead of us to tell us what to do and not to do. So some people took advice from professors that have never taken comlex and Drs who havnt taken Comlex in many years. They just didnt put enough effort in it. With all the changes going on with the current 2nd yrs I will not be supprised to see 98-100% pass.

Also there were plenty of people in my class that did VERY well on both USMLE and COMLEX. When boards time hits 2nd year, get back on SDN and do your research on how to beat the beast.

What number of students (or %) did not pass? Did most students who you would predict to pass (good course grades and test scores) actually pass or were there some surprises? I understand occasionally some students with high grades don't pass Complex.
Thx

Well, there is no list or anything about who passed/failed. You just hear from a classmate that so and so didnt pass and is taking it again. The school trys to keep peoples scores and grades/class rank private. They actually rank us in 5th's. So all I know is what quintile Im in. Since there are about 80 in the class, a quintile is about 16 people. I pretty much know who is in the 1st quintile and I dont know of anyone failing. Most of the 1st quintile scored very well. But I know people in the 2nd and third who also did very well. There are the few surprises though. There are people who I thought would do well who didnt pass the first time and vice versa. I dont know of anyone in our class that has not passed as of right now. We are required to pass step 1 by December of third year.

outright acceptance, I had the letter about a month ago, however. thanks JWalk. I am looking for an apartment so if any of you guys need a roommate, feel free to give suggestions, private message me or email me at [email protected]. I'll be most likely moving in July.

hey everyone, just signed my 12 month apartment lease at Madison at River Sound, hope some more of you are looking there I would love being by other students in our class!:p oh!! and i'm moving in at the end of july also!

Hey everyone, I just got my acceptance yesterday in the mail! I am now having a tough time deciding on what I would like to do at this point. I have the option to either start school with you all in August which would be absolutely amazing, or I could try again to get into MCG (allopathic) for 2009 which would be a lot cheaper. That said, I've kinda already ruled out the money as a factor, but I was hoping that some of you could enlighten me on a concern that I have:

I am very interested in a surgical residency and seeing as how the osteopathic side of medicine is very primary care intensive I am somewhat worried about whether going to PCOM will be a hinderance to that. Any insights?

Thanks everyone, I hope to be seeing you all in August!

Hey everyone, I just got my acceptance yesterday in the mail! I am now having a tough time deciding on what I would like to do at this point. I have the option to either start school with you all in August which would be absolutely amazing, or I could try again to get into MCG (allopathic) for 2009 which would be a lot cheaper. That said, I've kinda already ruled out the money as a factor, but I was hoping that some of you could enlighten me on a concern that I have:

I am very interested in a surgical residency and seeing as how the osteopathic side of medicine is very primary care intensive I am somewhat worried about whether going to PCOM will be a hinderance to that. Any insights?

Congrats on your acceptance, dfan. I agree that it is a tough financial decision. There is a pretty significant difference in tuition between MCG and GA-PCOM. However, sitting out a year equates to delaying your salary as a physician by a year. Plus there is no guarantee that you will get into MCG next time (considering how random med school acceptances are). I was in a similar situation and have no regrets about coming to GA-PCOM.

What type of surgery are you interested in? There are many residency options available to us... both osteopathic and allopathic. You may want to check out some of the match lists from this year, including PCOM-Philly.

The only reason it would be a hinderance to you is if you aren't a good student in medical school. Go to PCOM, work hard, and you'll be fine. A year of six-figure physician salary is more than the difference between MCG tuition and PCOM tuition. Don't waste any more time.

Also, if you wait a year, the only guarantee you have is that you won't get into PCOM again. Is that worth the risk?

Texas you said exactly what I was thinking!! I agree that forfeiting the salary will be way more than the money I would save waiting a year for MCG. So I ruled the money thing out, but I still am worried about the residency thing because I'm very interested in a more specialized surgery.

Sketches you said to check out the matches from this year, how would I go about doing that? Oh yeah and to answer your question, most likely something in surgery, but like any pre-med I haven't completely ruled out anything either. I just really want to be able have all my options open. Thanks for the replies, I'm glad ya'll agree with me!

You will definitely have your options open at an osteopathic school. You need to be a star student at any school, allo or osteo, to get a good residency in the more specialized surgical sub-specialties (like plastics or neuro). This means high board scores (above 80-90th percentile), awesome rotation grades, outstanding letters of rec, publications, and networking with the program you are interested in. Honestly most of it comes down to your own motivation as a student and not where you go to school.

The great thing about being an osteopathic student is that you can apply to both osteopathic and allopathic residency programs while MD students cannot. This may present you with opportunities you may have otherwise missed out on.

Here is PCOM's match list. Do a search if you would like to see the lists from other schools...
http://www.pcom.edu/Student_Life/Student_Affairs_Main/Match_List.html

Good luck making your decision. If you have any more questions, ask away.

hey guys I just got accepted and am now looking for a roommate. If interested, shoot me a PM...

Hey everyone....a new third year here....thought i would add my thoughts on your hot topics....

where to live.....CLOSE TO SCHOOL....i live about a mile from school and it is sooo nice to run home on breaks to get something, or go home for lunch, dinner, etc. Your time is better spent studying than in traffic....I've always lived with other students which made life easier.

Boards- don't worry about Boards for now...get through the first two years first. Use that time to figure out the best way for you to learn the material and then utilize those skills for preparing for the Boards. Its a lot of information but its manageable with good time management skills and some discipline.

Rotations- On lottery day (in december) you will form groups and divide up the available rotations. Everyone in my group got what they wanted. Lots of anxiety ahead of time, but things work out and fall into place.

I've run out of space for all my textbooks....Let me know if anyone is interested in these... They are significantly cheaper than ordering them on line and paying shipping. My books were all brand new and are still in great condition. My email is [email protected]. Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th Edition (This is basically your Bible for Term1)
New $79.95 Sell Price $50.00

Barrons Anatomy Flashcards (Again, I think an essential part of anatomy)
New: $24.95 Sell Price $15.00

Essential Neuroscience, Seigel
New $62.95 Sell Price $40.00

Histology, A Text and Atlas with correlated cell and molecular biology, 5th edition. New $62.95 Sell Price $35.00

Bates, Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 9th Edition
New $114.95 Sell Price $60.00

Patient- Centered Interviewing. An evidence based method, 2nd edition
New $32.95 Sell Price $15.00

Alcamo’s Fundamentals of Microbiology, 8th Edition
New $165.00 Sell Price $75.00

Langman’s Medical Embryology, 10th Edition
New $59.95 Sell Price $30.00

Radiology 101, 2nd Edition. The Basics and Fundamentals of Imaging
New $75.00 Sell Price $35.00

Medical Terminology, 4th Edition
New $28.95 Sell Price $15.00

Hey everyone....a new third year here....thought i would add my thoughts on your hot topics....

where to live.....CLOSE TO SCHOOL....i live about a mile from school and it is sooo nice to run home on breaks to get something, or go home for lunch, dinner, etc. Your time is better spent studying than in traffic....I've always lived with other students which made life easier.

Boards- don't worry about Boards for now...get through the first two years first. Use that time to figure out the best way for you to learn the material and then utilize those skills for preparing for the Boards. Its a lot of information but its manageable with good time management skills and some discipline.

Rotations- On lottery day (in december) you will form groups and divide up the available rotations. Everyone in my group got what they wanted. Lots of anxiety ahead of time, but things work out and fall into place.

I've run out of space for all my textbooks....Let me know if anyone is interested in these... They are significantly cheaper than ordering them on line and paying shipping. My books were all brand new and are still in great condition. My email is [email protected]. Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th Edition (This is basically your Bible for Term1)
New $79.95 Sell Price $50.00

Barrons Anatomy Flashcards (Again, I think an essential part of anatomy)
New: $24.95 Sell Price $15.00

Essential Neuroscience, Seigel
New $62.95 Sell Price $40.00

Histology, A Text and Atlas with correlated cell and molecular biology, 5th edition. New $62.95 Sell Price $35.00

Bates, Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 9th Edition
New $114.95 Sell Price $60.00

Patient- Centered Interviewing. An evidence based method, 2nd edition
New $32.95 Sell Price $15.00

Alcamo’s Fundamentals of Microbiology, 8th Edition
New $165.00 Sell Price $75.00

Langman’s Medical Embryology, 10th Edition
New $59.95 Sell Price $30.00

Radiology 101, 2nd Edition. The Basics and Fundamentals of Imaging
New $75.00 Sell Price $35.00

Medical Terminology, 4th Edition
New $28.95 Sell Price $15.00

I can't believe you are selling your books! How will you survive on rotations without Langman’s Medical Embryology, 10th Edition? :laugh: Those are pretty good prices... I may actually buy some myself ;)

I completely agree with the advice. Live close to school, don't even THINK about boards, and don't worry a bit about rotations. The lottery isn't until December of 2009!

Can any current pcom students comment on how much they spent on books and supplies/equipment during their 1st yr? I know this will vary by each student but I'm trying to get an avg/approximate. School says about $1800 for books and then $1000 for instruments/equipment but I am thinking this is kind of high. I am budgetting to see if I need to take out PLUS loans. Thanks!

Hey Folks,
Congratulations on your acceptances. I am excited to meet all of you at orientation or sooner.

I am about to finish up my first year, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last year I ended up getting a nice big house with two other classmates about 3 miles from school. We are paying 1500 a month for a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath house. We actually have more space than we know what to do with!
So we each pay 500 a month and we are splitting the utilities 3 ways.
Right now, there are a ton of rentals availble near school. I actually found and signed on this place literally 2 weeks before school started!

I will be in and out all summer....but if I am in town I am offering up my house as a free place to crash while you hunt for living arrangements. So if you don't mind a couch (trust me it is very comfy) and you need a place for a few nights while you run around town, just PM me and we will see if our schedules match up.

Toodles,
Marcia

so if I were looking on nucleus for the fasfa stuff, where would it be located?

so if I were looking on nucleus for the fasfa stuff, where would it be located?

Hi. I had the same question myself...
-Once in Nucleus, click on "Administrative Services (Banner)" --top right.
-Click on "Click here to access Banner PCOM Web services." link
-Click on "Student & Financial Aid" link
-Click on "Financial Aid" link
-Click on "Award" link
-Click on "Award for Aid Year" link
-Select "2008-09 academic year"--this is where your "Award" should be posted. I called PCOM and they said you can make changes to the amount by e-mailing fin_aid.