*******GA-PCOM Class of 2012********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I withdrew from both. Did not even make the trip to Erie.

Interestingly enough, about two weeks after I sent my withdraw in to KCOM, I got a rejection e-mail. I thought that was really weird.

Members don't see this ad.

I withdrew from both. Did not even make the trip to Erie.

Interestingly enough, about two weeks after I sent my withdraw in to KCOM, I got a rejection e-mail. I thought that was really weird.

You win some, you loose some, and then there's Vegas :p

Atlanta is a great place to live, although I can't speak for it recently. Friendly group of people, southern charm, but bustling metropolis....nice combo.

They don't typically reject you by e-mail though. But they did with me... quite a while after I sent them my request to withdraw my application. I just thought that was extremely strange.

I am happy with my decision. I like the opportunities that Atlanta has to offer, and I have no doubt that the education will be more than adequate. Its just up to me to get the job done and create my own opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up all? Sorry for not posting earlier... I'll be joining you guys in PCOMGA Class of 2012. I'll be coming all the way from San Diego and am very excited.

Is there going to be a separate thread for people looking for roommates? I'd most likely be looking for 1 roommate to share a 2 bedroom apartment with.

Also, since I always seem to forget about this website, anyone who'd like to get in contact with me can find me on AIM at NWA11.

What's up all? Sorry for not posting earlier... I'll be joining you guys in PCOMGA Class of 2012. I'll be coming all the way from San Diego and am very excited.

Is there going to be a separate thread for people looking for roommates? I'd most likely be looking for 1 roommate to share a 2 bedroom apartment with.

Also, since I always seem to forget about this website, anyone who'd like to get in contact with me can find me on AIM at NWA11.

Congrats John and we're glad to have you here. Wow, San-Diego is the other side of the country. I'm sure that you will have a little bit of life change going on when you set east. I think that this is a pretty good place to seek out a roommate or make some contacts for living arrangements. When did you interview?

he interviewed with me on october 31st! :)

Welcome all. I am the grandfather of the 2009 thread which started out great and has since donned cobwebs and dust bunnies. However I was once proud of it. Just thought I'd say hi.

We have laid the groundwork for you guys, feel free to ask Sam any Q's you have!! Just kidding you can ask me too.....

Good luck!

BMW-

Hi all-

My name is Christy. I will be moving to GA in May from Tampa, FL. I can't wait to meet you all. Thanks for the info you sent me Mike!!

Hey guys,
Looks like orientation is starting on 8/11 and class on 8/18. Let the countdown commence!::zip:

Sweet! I'll be able to do Jack's Generic Triathlon again this year!

Congrats GA-PCOM Class of 2012!! My wife (Rachel) and I (Jon) are both in the Class of 2009 and are selling our townhome. It is about 1/2 a mile from school in Garrison Square. We have done a lot of upgrading (paint, tile, hardwood floors) to the place. It is a two-story, two bedroom, two and a half bath townhome. Email us at [email protected] with any questions and we can then send you pics and more info. Also feel free the email us about general school stuff too.

Members don't see this ad :)
If any of you are from or in North GA, my husband is a Chef and we are not familiar with any of the restaurants or housing in the Suwanee area. Any advice about these things would be greatly appreciated! :eek:

I interviewed there back in October...and surprisingly HATED the entire atmosphere of the place. I'm not sure how anyone else feels about a completely PBL based system, but I found it to be very unstructured. Is it just me, or did anyone else have a similar reaction? I know several people that I interviewed with there, who also interviewed at PCOM-GA, had the same feeling!

If any of you are from or in North GA, my husband is a Chef and we are not familiar with any of the restaurants or housing in the Suwanee area. Any advice about these things would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know any restaurants in the area, but he is welcome to come cook for me if he needs to stay in practice while looking for a job.

I interviewed there back in October...and surprisingly HATED the entire atmosphere of the place. I'm not sure how anyone else feels about a completely PBL based system, but I found it to be very unstructured. Is it just me, or did anyone else have a similar reaction? I know several people that I interviewed with there, who also interviewed at PCOM-GA, had the same feeling!
I really liked LECOM-Bradenton. Mostly because of the PBL. If you think about it, you're going to do most of your learning on your own in med school anyway. This is just another way of doing it. Between PBL and prosection, I felt like LECOM-Bradenton is really trying to give their students an education with no bull****. A lot of med students don't go to class? Okay, let's see what happens if we do away with lectures. Same with prosection. No hours and hours of sitting in lab, trying to find some structure that you probably already accidentally destroyed. Its all done for you.

Overall, I rank GA-PCOM a tiny bit higher than LECOM-Bradenton, based on proximity to Atlanta, and small class size. But I could have easily gone to Bradenton and I think my education there would have been great as well.

I was very interested in the pbl concept, and I do agree that prosection is preferable to open dissection in many ways. However, I sort of got the feeling that the students at LECOM were not as close-knit as the people I met at PCOM. Maybe, it was just the class I sat in on??? I live in driving distance from Bradenton, so that school was originally my first choice. After my interview, however, I quickly changed my mind.:eek:

I don't know any restaurants in the area, but he is welcome to come cook for me if he needs to stay in practice while looking for a job.

I really liked LECOM-Bradenton. Mostly because of the PBL. If you think about it, you're going to do most of your learning on your own in med school anyway. This is just another way of doing it. Between PBL and prosection, I felt like LECOM-Bradenton is really trying to give their students an education with no bull****. A lot of med students don't go to class? Okay, let's see what happens if we do away with lectures. Same with prosection. No hours and hours of sitting in lab, trying to find some structure that you probably already accidentally destroyed. Its all done for you.

Overall, I rank GA-PCOM a tiny bit higher than LECOM-Bradenton, based on proximity to Atlanta, and small class size. But I could have easily gone to Bradenton and I think my education there would have been great as well.

For any baseball fans, the Braves have announced that they will move their AAA club from Richmond to nearby Buford and Gwinnett County will be supplying a ~$45M stadium to accomodate. Unfortunately the stadium will not be finished until the 2010 season, but should add to the booming growth of the area.

For any baseball fans, the Braves have announced that they will move their AAA club from Richmond to nearby Buford and Gwinnett County will be supplying a ~$45M stadium to accomodate. Unfortunately the stadium will not be finished until the 2010 season, but should add to the booming growth of the area.

I saw this in the AJC yesterday. Great news! During undergrad at Berry College, the AA Braves team relocated to Rome and we had a good time going to the games. If I had the choice though, I'd spend a few extra bucks and drive 30 minutes to see the real Braves play.

Hi guys, Im Jonathan. Im interviewing at PCOM-GA next Wednesday on January 30th. Do any of you guys who were accepted have any last minute tips? Thanks and hope I will be a part of the family soon.

Hi guys, Im Jonathan. Im interviewing at PCOM-GA next Wednesday on January 30th. Do any of you guys who were accepted have any last minute tips? Thanks and hope I will be a part of the family soon.

Congrats Johnny. I hope your interview goes great. Have you read the interview feedback database yet? If not, check that out. I and several others have left information about what questions were asked, etc. Some tips are to be interested in primary care medicine, even if you think you may want to specialize, be confident and turn any negatives into positives, talk about why you like PCOM's curriculum and why you want to live and hopefully practice in GA. One of the major reasons PCOM decided to branch to GA is to relieve the physician shortage in the state. They want you to want to stay in GA! Def. be able to explain why you chose osteopathic medicine because that will always come up. If you've shadowed a DO, talk about that. Lastly, come up with a few questions that you can ask at the end of the interview. Even if you know the answer, ask something that shows that you are interested in the school and its curriculum or whatnot. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. Knock em dead on Wednesday:thumbup:

Just be yourself!! This is your opportunity to distinguish yourself from the crowd. Be sure to share your experiences in the medical field, personal and professional. Good luck :D

Thanks guys for your support. Thanks Jwalk for going in depth. I was thinking in the lines of those things to talk about and its great to have consensus =). This is my second time around applying to MD schools and the first ever DO school to interview at. Im very excited that PCOM-GA have interest in my potential. By the optimistic and praising threads I've looked that, it seems like this school is the one to choose.

By the way, is there a cheap hotel nearby and which exit that you guys might have stayed in? I think I've seen Hampton Inn from a previous post but Im not sure which exit it is.

There is little doubt that GA-PCOM is THE medical school in this country, highly regarded throughout the universe. Good luck.

Thanks guys for your support. Thanks Jwalk for going in depth. I was thinking in the lines of those things to talk about and its great to have consensus =). This is my second time around applying to MD schools and the first ever DO school to interview at. Im very excited that PCOM-GA have interest in my potential. By the optimistic and praising threads I've looked that, it seems like this school is the one to choose.

By the way, is there a cheap hotel nearby and which exit that you guys might have stayed in? I think I've seen Hampton Inn from a previous post but Im not sure which exit it is.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Pineland Dr.- Exit 104. It was very convenient and they had a great breakfast in the morning (be sure to eat because they don't give lunch at the interview...just a measly breakfast bar). Good luck!

I second the Hampton Inn! They had lots for breakfast, and transportation to GA PCOM.

Okay, so I'm just about all set to do some volunteer work at Grady. I'm almost as excited about this as I am about school.

So it sounds like Hampton Inn is the logical choice. Has anyone else been looking forward to this end of January binder we are supposed to be getting? Nothing yet though. TT, tell us more about what you have set up at Grady. When are you starting? Going to be in the ER i assume?

Hey folks,
Current first year here. There are plenty of hotels right by school. We are literally in between exit 109 and 111 on 85. There are two Marriots/Farifields and a Sun hotel. There is a sideroad off of Old Peachtree Road called Gwinco Blvd. This is where the hotels are. You may want to call them and see if they have a shuttle. THey are also within walking distance of fast food, an applebees, and outback steakhouse. Oh and a cracker barrell.

Marcia
GA-PCOM 2011

I am guessing that I will be working in the trauma center, because that's what I do now. I have a lot of experience at the busiest level II in the nation. I think it will be theraputic for me.

Accepted and will see you guys in the Fall! :D
Now, to sort out the huge deposit...:eek:

Accepted and will see you guys in the Fall! :D
Now, to sort out the huge deposit...:eek:

Congrats man, I'm looking forward to the fall as well. I am debating on whether to go ahead and send in the rest of the deposit myself. I know that this economic stimulus package thats about to happen will help bear the burden in a few months. :thumbup:

Thanks! Look forward to meeting you all!

Tex, when do you plan to come to GA?

Probably around the beginning of August. I'd like to do Jack's Generic Triathlon (August 3rd) here in Austin, and then head out.

i'm thinking i'm going to move down in middle/late July because I want my whole living situation done before classes hit. I dont want to be thinking about decorations and food in the fridge when I go to my first class :)

Do you guys know how 3rd and 4th year will be structured? I have the general impression from the clinical coordinator that you shadowed and were accessed by that particular physician, not paper tested on different areas (i.e. surgery, OB, family)

Congrats everyone! I'm a first year and I bike to school when the weather is nice and I don't have too many books to carry. I live on the corner of Dean and Old P'tree, about 1/2 mile from school. Old P'tree really isn't bad especially if you've got experience riding around traffic. L'ville/Suwanee Rd is out of my league, even after riding in downtown Atlanta for two years. I see guys on bikes out there but traffic is heavy and turning left would be dangerous. Dean is pretty good, there are some decent hills and traffic isn't too bad except during rush hours. As far as putting miles under your tires there are some great strips around the Lake Lanier/Buford area with low traffic and bike lanes.

Take care!
Bethany

Tex, you should check out the Tri the Parks series: http://web.mac.com/cdunlop3/Tri_the_Parks/Home.html

Hi all you future GAPCOMERS. Im a current 3rd year with a house about 0.7 miles from the school and have recently decided that I will be living in Atlanta for my 4th year rotations. So I am now looking for students interested in renting rooms in the house. There are 4 rooms in the house ranging from 300-400. Its located on Verner Road and its great for the people who dont like traffic and like to be real close to home.

If you are interested or want more info email me at [email protected].

Brent

I got the FAFSA filled out and submitted last night. It said something like 20 grand was what they suggested i pay towards my education. HA! I know thats only a suggestion, but thats not gonna happen. Anyone else in the same boat?

You can pay about 20 g's towards my education too, while you're at it.

Hey Ga-PCOM Class of 2012!

Congratulations on your recent acceptance! My name is David Domino, a 2nd year Ga-PCOM medical student. I am sending out a thread to let your class know that I am selling my Suwanee townhouse and was wondering if any of my future fellow PCOM friends would be interested! It's a great investment opportunity for either yourself or parents!! The townhouse is nearly brand new! It's a spacious 3-bedroom, 2.5-bath home, located in a quiet, family-oriented community. And...it is only 12 minutes or so from school!!! Very convenient for sure! I have a flyer that I can email to you if you are interested that would provide you more details about the place. For any specific questions about the townhouse, please feel free to contact me at (716) 341-8678 or drop me a line at [email protected]!

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you!!

Sincerely-

David Domino
OMS II
Ga-PCOM

I interviewed February 18 and am on pins and needles waiting to hear if I got accepted or wait-listed (my interviewers said I wouldn't get rejected, a good sign). Did you guys get your letter exactly two weeks after the interview or was it a little longer? GA-PCOM is the only school I applied to--because it's the best one, obviously--and I'm just dying to know if I got in yet. Hopefully I'll be joining you guys in August!

Looks like April 5th there's gonna be a lunch on campus for the class of 2012. Something to look forward to. See ya'll there.

Hey everyone! My name is Lori and I'm a second year here at GA-PCOM. I'm not sure if any of you met me - I'm one of the student ambassador coordinators that gives interviewees tours of the campus. :) Anyway, I just wanted to say congrats on your acceptance and let you all know that if anyone has any questions - please feel free to message me. I remember asking tons of questions to the now third year class before I began school.

I also wanted to put it out there that the place that I'm living in right now (about 4 -5 min from school) is going to be up for rent when my roommates and I move out. It's a 3 bedroom/ 2.5 bath townhouse that was built in 2005 I believe. It's in a small gated community with families. The rent is 1250 a month - which includes water. It's all electric (which is important to think about with rising gas prices!) And pets are allowed :) The master bedroom is huge with a separate tub, walk in closet, etc. The other two rooms share a bathroom - it's between the two rooms so both rooms have access from inside the room.

Anyway, have a great time before you start school in August and we look forward to meeting you! PM me if you have any questions. Welcome to our family :)

Lori :)

Hello Everyone,

For those of you that are coming to GA-PCOM in the fall, I have a room for rent, literally right across the street from the school.

It will be available as soon as next week! It has its own bathroom and the rent is only $340/month. The rest of the house is already furnished, so all you need is your own stuff to fill your bedroom.

If you are interested, PM me or you can email me personally at [email protected], and I can give you the details.

Congrats to all and welcome the the GA-PCOM family!
Sam Sakai
OMS-II

Hey all,
I'm a 25 y/o female looking for 1 or 2 female roommates to live with this coming Fall. I'll be a first year DO...hoping to live within 5 mins from school. The townhomes posted above seem like a nice location and I'm sure there are plenty of others out there. I know summer is going to creep up on us before we know it and I'm hoping to secure a roommate long before school starts! PM me if you're interested in rooming! I'll also post something on the GA student housing on Nucleus. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you all!

Hey all,
I'm a 25 y/o female looking for 1 or 2 female roommates to live with this coming Fall. I'll be a first year DO...hoping to live within 5 mins from school. The townhomes posted above seem like a nice location and I'm sure there are plenty of others out there. I know summer is going to creep up on us before we know it and I'm hoping to secure a roommate long before school starts! PM me if you're interested in rooming! I'll also post something on the GA student housing on Nucleus. Thanks and I look forward to meeting you all!

Just a heads up that the other rooms in my house will be open for rent as well. There are 3 additional bedrooms, one of which has it's own bathroom.

Is anyone else thinking about apartments or condo's?? I want to make sure i'm somewhat close to everyone and obviously close to school.