*******GA-PCOM Class of 2012********

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dirty south baby. Here I come.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. Overall, I felt most at home at GA-PCOM.

LECOM-Bradenton, where I am waitlisted, really wowed me with their PBL, and KCOM (I'll hear from them wednesday) has all the great tradition, an awesome new facility, and great support, but GA-PCOM just seems like the best place for me.

I also have other applications out, and I think if I pursued it, I'd get interviews at KCUMB and DMU. I visited both places, and they were incredible. But GA-PCOM seems to have the most to offer me.

First, I love the small class size. Is this the smallest DO school in terms of students per class?

I also love the area. Atlanta has so much to offer an aspiring physician. I think I may want to do trauma surgery, and there are several busy trauma centers in the area where I can volunteer at and rotate through. And in the event that I don't end up in trauma surgery, there are plenty of other good opportunities too.

The PCOM name is also a nice plus. I think they will put out a great product just like the original in Philly.

Anyway, there is pretty much no way I'm going anywhere else. I haven't withdrawn from everywhere else yet, and I want to call PCOM tomorrow and ask a few questions, but I'm pretty sure this is the place for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tex, I'm glad you started this thread. Congrats man! I am glad you felt as drawn to this school as the rest of us. The school had a lot of other factors going for it (in-state, close to family, PCOM, gwinett, etc) but from the first time I visited campus last year I knew that this is where I wanted to be. I find it interesting that out-of staters are finding the school so appealing when it is sort of an under the radar school right now. Anyways, I'm looking forward to August and getting this ball rolling!

Testing the updated sig line...

Jwalker: I just feel like they have a lot to offer. From the small classes to the nice weather, and everything Atlanta would have to offer a medical student. I'm going to look into doing some volunteering at Grady, maybe one night per week. I would like to make some contacts there, as well as just keep up what I'm doing now. I would probably like to eventually do an elective rotation there, especially if I decide to pursue Trauma surgery.

For me, there are few DO schools that can offer me what GA-PCOM can. That's why I'm pretty much sold on them.

So out of 86 seats, theres only 4 or 5 confirmed seats filled right now. Theres got to be more...where are you guys?

We need a motto or something for the class of 2012. Like a catch-phrase.

We need a motto or something for the class of 2012. Like a catch-phrase.

have you read the 2009 class thread? some of it is hilarious.
how about...GA-PCOM-best ninja medical school...ever.

where the heck did my signature go?

Ok so where do I want to live around school?

theres no shortage of townhouses and such close by if you want to go that route. Theres also houses around the 180-200 range. We just bought a house off of old peachtree road about 10 miles away. I drove it a few days ago and it was a 20 minute trip which is fine with me. Fron what ive heard though, stay as close as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will obviously need a UGA grad to take me to the world's largest outdoor cocktail party, once I am a Georgia resident.

The air quality in my boxers after eating Mexican food is better than the air quality in Houston.

I have been led to believe that there are lots of hot chicks in Georgia.

Testing the updated sig line...

Jwalker: I just feel like they have a lot to offer. From the small classes to the nice weather, and everything Atlanta would have to offer a medical student. I'm going to look into doing some volunteering at Grady, maybe one night per week. I would like to make some contacts there, as well as just keep up what I'm doing now. I would probably like to eventually do an elective rotation there, especially if I decide to pursue Trauma surgery.

For me, there are few DO schools that can offer me what GA-PCOM can. That's why I'm pretty much sold on them.

Tex, grady would be an amazing place to volunteer. I hope that works out for you and you can make some good contacts. Speaking of volunteering, do you know what the policy is as far as mandatory volunteering for first years? It seems like i heard something about that when i was at an open house a few weeks ago. Could be wrong though. Anyways, youll love georgia. Lots to do and campus is pretty much inbetween atlanta and athens. When are you thinking about moving?

I'll probably stick around here until a week or two before school starts. Depending on my triathlon schedule. I'm going to try and pick up another job and save some cash too. That $2000 deposit in April is looming large. You already live in the area, right?

I'll probably stick around here until a week or two before school starts. Depending on my triathlon schedule. I'm going to try and pick up another job and save some cash too. That $2000 deposit in April is looming large. You already live in the area, right?

I live in Augusta right now which is about 2 hours away. My wife is from Gwinnett, so it will moving home for her. We both teach in Augusta so we cant move until late May, but when we do we will be able to settle and relax for a while til class starts. The nice thing about teaching is that I will still be collecting a paycheck til September :) That will help with moving expenses and whatnot.

I need a sugar mama. There are lots of hot chicks in Georgia.

p1_conley.jpg

So here's a question about the rotations... since there are only about 80 students, and like 120+ clinical sites, does everyone typically get what they want? I know there has only been one class make it this far, but I would think this would be a big plus.

Hi everyonnnnne!!!!! I'm just introducing myself, I was accepted on November 10th, and sent in my deposit. :)

Hey all, sam here from c/o 2009....how many acceptances for your class so far? Feel free to ask any 2009er questions about school, rotations etc. you can find us be looking up names on our class thread.

I have a question for you: why is GA-PCOM so kickass?

I am signed, sealed, and delivered to GA-PCOM now. Sent in my deposit today.

I will be attempting to find an apartment really close to school, like 5 mile distance I want to try to make life as easy as possible :)

If any older students read this, do you think that May is too late to start apartment hunting and talking about leases?

I am so excited to meet the rest of our class. :D

I have already started looking, and I found one that looks pretty good. I want to go out and check it out first though.

The last thing you want to happen is that you have to live too far from school because you waited too long to start looking.

exactly! i would love to have people in our class living around the same complex that i end up in; that would be verrry nice.

Have you guys heard from any of the older students where the better places to live are down there? I have seen the one link on the website and it looks like it could be a really good option. Are those the apartments you are looking at Tex? Also, count me in for the GA-FL cocktail party; I have wanted to go to that for years.

I was thinking about the big 2/2 at this place...

http://www.equityapartments.com/market/brochure.aspx?page=overview&PropID=575

It's easy biking distance from campus, and the price is fantastic for such a big place. ~$800/month for 1,350 square feet? That's ridiculous. Split with one other person, this would be a great deal.

I was paying $625/month for the crappiest apartment you can possibly imagine, not that long ago.

yeah i just looked at that link and it's only 5 miles away from pcom,I wonder if there's a way to get there without taking the highway. I think i'm gonna go down there for spring break see my brother and look for apartments. That one looks really nice though, plus they allow dogs, and I want a dog sooo bad.

Does anyone know if they have breakfast tacos in Georgia? I know they've got grits and crap like that, which is fine. My whole family is from the south, and I like that stuff, but there is nothing better than a good breakfast taco.

Welcome to GA-PCOM!!!

My name is Tiffany Sanders, a third year med student at GA-PCOM. I have been living at 5375 Sugarloaf Parkway for the past 2 1/2 years now, and I love it! Yes, the name of the actual apartment complex is the address:) This apartment complex is 5 mins from campus and is located in the middle of everything literally. These apartments are gated, we have FREE wash and dry service,curb side trash removal, free breakfast bar every morning, free car washing area, tennis courts and pools, nice and accomodating front office, and various activities given by the front office each month! These apartments are very nice but you have to see them for yourselves. There are at least 15-20 GA-PCOM students that live here that range from 1st year to 3rd year students. This is great because you always know you have a number to call if for any reason you need any help. If you come to visit this apartment complex and eventually decide to rent JUST MENTION my name TIFFANY SANDERS, and I will split the referral fee with you. Do you know how much $250 can buy in Georgia:) Anyways, just to keep up with things shoot me a message if you give the front office my name, so I know who to get the cold hard cash to. www.5375sugarloaf.com
Once again congrats!!

I will be attempting to find an apartment really close to school, like 5 mile distance I want to try to make life as easy as possible :)

If any older students read this, do you think that May is too late to start apartment hunting and talking about leases?

I am so excited to meet the rest of our class. :D

Im a third year and I live like .7 miles away and am very glad I did. I think that hunting for places in May is not too late but it might be a little late to find a roomate(s). I have a house and every year I found my new roomates by SDN and the open house (which is in april?). Anyway, I think the best 2 options are
-Split a house with 3+ people. that way the utilities are low and rent/ morgage is also low. The more people you have, usually the cheaper it is. 2 of my roomates pay 300 and some people in my class used to have a house and paid under 300/person for 5 people. The goods about a house is that you have more freedom(parties, noise,less neighbor problems),more room, lower rent. bads are that more people can = more conflicts. But on the other hand more people can mean more fun and more study partners, depends on who you get.
-Apts- usually for the solo or split with 1 other person so rent will be higher but you usually will get access to pools, tennis courts ect. If you decide to go down this route make sure you talk to some 2nd and 3rd yrs first. Some places have had some break-ins and trouble with management. While others will have tons of happy PCOMers.

But overall, I would suggest to live close because It makes life so much easier. Mapquest each place you look at and remember traffic can be bad in this area so remember to add time to your drive, esp if you hit the major roads.

Thanks for the info. What is traffic like on 317/Lawrenceville Suwanee Rd. and Dean Rd. NW? Is it bike-friendly?

Thanks for the info. What is traffic like on 317/Lawrenceville Suwanee Rd. and Dean Rd. NW? Is it bike-friendly?

Tex, that road is pretty hectic. I think it is 5 lane with lots of restraunts, stores, neighborhoods, etc. I dont know if there is a sidewalk.

Whatever you all do...DO NOT live at Sterling Riverside Apartments on Duluth Highway.

The Preserve at Legacy Park is good though...on L'ville-S'nee Rd about 4.5 miles from school.

I know there are more than 5 ppl accepted...where is everyone???

Merritt at satellite place is pretty good too
I'm a 1st yr---feel free to ask any questions.........our class is not as active on SDN as 2nd and 3rd yrs...but some of us are around....somewhere.....

back to CMBM...................+pity+

You cant/dont want to ride a bike on Lville/suwannee-youll get run over. You can ride on old peachtree rd, but even that road can have too much traffic. I live in a neighborhood across the street from the school. You can ride a bike around there w/o trouble.

hey does anyone know what the interview/acceptance is looking like. I applied but havent heard anything back yet

They interview ~300 and accept ~80. Where they are in that process, I have no idea. They did seem to get started just a tiny bit later than most of the other schools though. How long have you been complete there?

I got an update letter today saying they received my deposit and all that stuff. It looks like we should be expecting a big book to come in late january that has all our orientation/calendar information as well as student life and where to live information. I am looking forward to that! I also thought it was pretty cool to get a christmas card from PCOM the other day. I'm still impressed.:thumbup:

Yeah PCOM seems like it is all class and I am really excited about heading to GA-PCOM next year. They seem to go the extra mile for their applicants and I can't wait to be a student. Congrats to the new acceptances, GA-PCOM is going to be a great place to begin our medical education.

I'm curious. I applied months ago and havent heard anything yet and I was wondering if anyone knows how many people they've interviewed or accepted yet? Congrats to you guys and I hope you are ready for some traffic because that I-85 is hell on earth!

I don't think they've interviewed all that many. They started later than most schools, and their interview groups are small. I can't imagine they've interviewed much more than 100, and I know they interview about 300 for the season.

I don't think they've interviewed all that many. They started later than most schools, and their interview groups are small. I can't imagine they've interviewed much more than 100, and I know they interview about 300 for the season.

Hey Tex,

Did you ever get into KCOM or Lecom-E? I know you're sold on PCOM-GA, just curious.