"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dude im so surprised ladies arent all over me... I mean, Im in law school!!!" .

That's another way of saying "I'm going to be unemployed!"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
5 minutes ago a freshmen pre-med student talking to me:

"I'm not worried about the mcat at all. People who say it's hard are all dumb."

Ok good luck with that attitude bud
*Unpopular opinion here*

I didn't think it was that hard in terms of raw difficulty (as far as the new version is concerned). Many problems boiled down to minor critical thinking/problem solving and P/S felt like a vocab test. My strategy was basically "take everything literally and choose the correct answer" and it worked out pretty well.

In terms of "holy crap how do I keep my focus for all these hours", "wow this pat-down is venturing into 'extreme' territory", and "wow who knew 4 cups of coffee, a powerade, and 2 rockstar recoveries could make your bladder feel like it's going to explode" though it was extremely difficult.

Reactions: 5 users
*Unpopular opinion here*

I didn't think it was that hard in terms of raw difficulty (as far as the new version is concerned). Many problems boiled down to minor critical thinking/problem solving and P/S felt like a vocab test. My strategy was basically "take everything literally and choose the correct answer" and it worked out pretty well.

In terms of "holy crap how do I keep my focus for all these hours", "wow this pat-down is venturing into 'extreme' territory", and "wow who knew 4 cups of coffee, a powerade, and 2 rockstar recoveries could make your bladder feel like it's going to explode" though it was extremely difficult.
Remember that the median score for all takers is around 500? So do not engage in the sin of solipsism!

Reactions: 3 users
Remember that the median score for all takers is around 500? So do not engage in the sin of solipsism!
1) I learned a new word today!
2) Yeah the older I get, the more sure I am that I'm actually a snowflake incarnated into a human body. I guess my major point was that the test is very beatable. I do not consider myself extremely intelligent and my UG institution really drove that point home for me. When graded against my peers, I frequently was the median or below average which highly discouraged me, and yet I still >515'd the test. n=1 obviously and this is purely my personal anectdote, but it happened so you can glean from that whatever you think it's worth.

Reactions: 4 users

For those of you who had to look it up as well......

sol·ip·sism
ˈsäləpˌsizəm/
noun
noun: solipsism
  1. the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.

Reactions: 8 users
1) I learned a new word today!
2) Yeah the older I get, the more sure I am that I'm actually a snowflake incarnated into a human body. I guess my major point was that the test is very beatable. I do not consider myself extremely intelligent and my UG institution really drove that point home for me. When graded against my peers, I frequently was the median or below average which highly discouraged me, and yet I still >515'd the test. n=1 obviously and this is purely my personal anectdote, but it happened so you can glean from that whatever you think it's worth.
I think you're missing the point. Just because you think the test is beatable and consider yourself to not be extremely intelligent does not mean that the test is beatable for the average applicant (as the average is about 500 for all applicants).

Since your undergrad institution really pointed out your supposed "mediocrity", yet you still managed to score above a 515, lends evidence to the notion that you most likely attended an institution with some prestige, which most likely means that you went to an above average high school and/or come from a family with a medium to high socioeconomic status. If not, you are probably well above average intelligence-wise. To challenge your n=1, I have a classmate who went to an incredible school, graduated with a 4.0, and took the mcat multiple times before getting in.

Your line of thinking is in line with the rich man who believes that poor people are poor due to laziness or ill character, as becoming rich is easy or obtainable in our society with some elbow grease. The facts, however, point to the average income being well below a decent standard of living.

Lots of factors go into the MCAT (there is a reason why FAP applicants score lower on average every single year) and saying that it is "beatable" for everyone is wildly inaccurate. You are in the mcat percentile you are in for a reason, or several reasons.

Now it's bar time.

Reactions: 5 users
Aside from the anesthesiologists I've worked with, two of my friends recently finished their gas residencies. They definitely worked their asses off, and they will continue to do so as attendings. It might be a less taxing schedule than surgery, but it's not a cakewalk.

Not to mention the surgeon blames you for everything.

I faced a similar scenario at my first interview. We were walking around with the student ambassadors following interviews and they posed the question, "What is OMM?". I hung back because I wanted to see how my competition fared and it was an awkward eternity of everyone looking at each other to speak up. I stood there grinning and in slight awe and one of the ambassadors caught me, pointed a finger at me and said, "You. I see you're enjoying this, mind telling us what OMM is and its significance?" I laughed a bit, explained what it is and afterward, the ambassadors introduced themselves to me throughout the rest of the tour but they didn't do the same for the other interviewees.

Moral of the story: if you're interviewing at a DO school simply for safety, at least prepare- even slightly.

I legit asked a fellow interviewee this at touro back when I applied just to see what their reaction would be. What a coincidence.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since your undergrad institution really pointed out your supposed "mediocrity", yet you still managed to score above a 515, lends evidence to the notion that you most likely attended an institution with some prestige.
Nope. Public state school.

which most likely means that you went to an above average high school .
Yep, got really lucky there for a public high school.

and/or come from a family with a medium to high socioeconomic status.
LOL NOPE

If not, you are probably well above average intelligence-wise.
Maybe so, but I'm still pretty sure I could "coach" someone to at least a 508.

To challenge your n=1, I have a classmate who went to an incredible school, graduated with a 4.0, and took the mcat multiple times before getting in.
Grade inflation exists at a lot of schools, but that's a discussion for another day.

Your line of thinking is in line with the rich man who believes that poor people are poor due to laziness or ill character, as becoming rich is easy or obtainable in our society with some elbow grease. The facts, however, point to the average income being well below a decent standard of living.
Disagree. I came from a crappy home and stuff too so if anything I'm the counterexample. I'm not even sure I'd say that I worked too incredibly hard for the test. I feel like I prepared adequately at best.

Lots of factors go into the MCAT (there is a reason why FAP applicants score lower on average every single year) and saying that it is "beatable" for everyone is wildly inaccurate.
I get that.

Now it's bar time.
I prefer to drink at home since it's cheaper.

Nope. Public state school.

Yep, got really lucky there for a public high school.

LOL NOPE

Maybe so, but I'm still pretty sure I could "coach" someone to at least a 508.

Grade inflation exists at a lot of schools, but that's a discussion for another day.

Disagree. I came from a crappy home and stuff too so if anything I'm the counterexample. I'm not even sure I'd say that I worked too incredibly hard for the test. I feel like I prepared adequately at best.

I get that.

I prefer to drink at home since it's cheaper.
Where can I meet you to kiss the ring?

Reactions: 7 users
@freak7
I think there might be a little Dunning-Kruger going on here. I think you might be in the valley where you have more expertise than most but don't see it.
Yeah that's basically the assumption I've been going off of ever since I got my score back. I thought that if I got a good score I'd feel validated and smart or something, but instead I feel as dumb as ever haha. There's also probably some impostor syndrome going on in there as well as some general self-esteem issues. Who knows, brains are weird.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that the test is beatable, in that the information is a mile wide but only an inch deep. However, the amount of time/effort it takes to cover that mile is different for everyone. For me, I started off my prep already good to go at CARS, but some people work their asses off to scrape by there. for P/S i think you're correct that its a vocab test, with a few outlandish things to separate the top few percentiles. But the sciences just take time, unless you've done the upper levels in genetics/cellbio/biochem. You've gotta get the mental flow charts and formulas and cycles and vocab and, and, and. Nothing complicated, just a lot of it and it takes time to develop the recall. For me personally, my score will be a reflection of my free time, and how much of that i'm willing to take away from finals and my family for the next month.

I don't have the time available to crush it for this cycle, but Im not down for a year and a half off, so I'll do my best and be happy at whatever state md school or DO school I end up at. Besides, for many applicants, the difference between a 509 and a 516 isnt that crazy. If you're in that range you're good for your state schools and the 10ish private schools that each get 15k apps. But the 516 isn't gonna drop panties at the top schools anymore than the 508. So in the words of HRC, what difference, at this point, does it make? It'll be the rest of your app that makes/breaks you, I imagine.

I've heard so many variations of this it makes me sick to my stomach. I believe it stems from people who grow up in situations that breed snowflake syndrome...but I could be wrong. Perhaps the MCAT is just so daunting that many people trick themselves into viewing it from an idiotic standpoint, kind of like a mental safety net? Regardless...it's just sad and irritating.
Or, depending where this was heard, it could be that it has just not occurred to this person that prepping for the test is a thing. I remember being in HS taking the ACT (SAT not offerred/preferred in my area) and no one prepped for the ACT where I'm from. It wasn't until after I got to college that I heard about test prep programs and realized people were actually doing that, even for the ACT.

My point: If this dude did well on previous standardized tests without much prep, could be he didn't realize that in addition to covering more difficult material, the type of students he'll be compared to has a very different composition and the level of preparedness expected is much higher (unbeknownst to him, test prep moves from a fringe option to a norm).

I mean, no excuses for the guy's lack of googling skills though...:shrug:

Reactions: 2 users
Funny convo:
Classmate: I'm gonna go to this med school btw, i'm definitely getting in
Me: Nice, how do you know?
Classmate: My dad is a dr here
Me: That might not be enough, i'm sure it should help. Whats ur MCAT and GPA like?
Classmate: I don't need an mcat to go here cause my dad is a doctor at the hospital
Me: ...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Moving inventory around at the practice I work at:
Female coworker (Finds a box of speculas): What are these for?
Me:...
Coworker: Oh! They must use it to hold your eye open during exams.
I know this is several pages back, but I was left wondering, was it a box of eye specula?

Screenshot_20170429-225952.png

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I found them to be rather unpleasant unless I actively made a surprised/shocked face.

I mean, it took like 58 seconds per eye, so I guess I didn't have too much time to think about it. I was just pleasantly surprised at how little discomfort they caused, and by the time that wore off it was done.

I know this is several pages back, but I was left wondering, was it a box of eye speculas
Nope. It was a box of these minus the festive decorations.

Attachments

• P094WtM.jpg
    P094WtM.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 181
"I did great my first semester, second semester should also be a piece of cake and I can definately maintain a 3.7 gpa without putting more work in."
That dumb pre med is me.

Reactions: 13 users
Hello gentlemen and gentlewomen of Student Doctor Network, a non-profit place for people becoming doktor,

I feel as though my humor/sarcasm/funnies with @mwsapphire in a previous post did not come across as intended. I meant no harm to @mwsapphire because I don't know her from adam nor anything about her. I chose someone to have a little fun with and it shot back in my face like C. diff spores. It is what it is. It was a joke and I really have no ill-will towards mwsphire. Some of the posts that followed were malicious, mine was not. She could be a genius.

I'm fresh off that hammer time doe.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 9 users
The mods are still watching...try not to add to their grey hair, OK? I already give them enough trouble.

Hello gentlemen and gentlewomen of Student Doctor Network, a non-profit place for people becoming doktor,

I feel as though my humor/sarcasm/funnies with @mwsapphire in a previous post did not come across as intended. I meant no harm to @mwsapphire because I don't know her from adam nor anything about her. I chose someone to have a little fun with and it shot back in my face like C. diff spores. It is what it is. It was a joke and I really have no ill-will towards mwsphire. Some of the posts that followed were malicious, mine was not. She could be a genius.

I'm fresh off that hammer time doe.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 users
I've been off probation for a month now I think. Time to go back on?
That leash gets shorter upon receiving the probation spanken. You have been warned mane.

back on topic boyos

I've been off probation for a month now I think. Time to go back on?
What do you have to do to get on probation exactly? And what happens when you are? I am a law-abiding citizen and I want to live vicariously through you.

What do you have to do to get on probation exactly? And what happens when you are? I am a law-abiding citizen and I want to live vicariously through you.

I told someone he was using a logical fallacy using let me google that for you. I'll wait while you change your underwear.

You just have to watch your step. It's not a big deal if you're not a troll.

I find it kind of ridiculous that the "worst admissions staff in the country" thread was closed for unprofessional behavior/rudeness etc. and yet this thread - one that serves mainly as a thread for premeds to relentlessly **** on other premeds to make themselves feel better - has remained open for so long

Reactions: 8 users
I find it kind of ridiculous that the "worst admissions staff in the country" thread was closed for unprofessional behavior/rudeness etc. and yet this thread - one that serves mainly as a thread for premeds to relentlessly **** on other premeds to make themselves feel better - has remained open for so long
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

* wrong thread sorrry, had two tabs open at once*

Neither deserves to be closed, imho. Was surprised Jalby's thread got killed after all these years

Reactions: 11 users
Neither deserves to be closed, imho. Was surprised Jalby's thread got killed after all these years

agreed, but I feel like @Jalby was being targeted by the closing of the other thread. Whatever decision is made - there should be consistency

agreed, but I feel like @Jalby was being targeted by the closing of the other thread. Whatever decision is made - there should be consistency

Apparently, the previous Funny Quotes thread was closed because of off-topic stories. I think this thread got derailed several times but apparently the mods decided to keep it open (despite the recent spate of nasty personal attacks). I have no idea.

Apparently, the previous Funny Quotes thread was closed because of off-topic stories. I think this thread got derailed several times but apparently the mods decided to keep it open (despite the recent spate of nasty personal attacks). I have no idea.
I think it was more that the thread was a dinosaur and the last three pages were just " Seriously how does this keep getting bumped. What if a mod closed it."
Also there was some mocking on there, I think, earlier in the thread.
But the content of this thread is definitely more close-worth, imho.

You and me both. I thought that thread would (and I still believe it should) outlive me. It's probably the most famous thread in SDN history.

Somebody needs to loosen up. There is enough uptight people in medicine that it doesn't also have to be here on SDN.

Reactions: 7 users
for every ε>0 does there exist a δ>0 st x∈D with 0<|x-attending community college for PA school which she called med school|<δ
you get
|f(x)-10|<ε?
i won't be able to sleep until someone explains this joke to me