"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Is this going to be on the test"
He said, the day before the first biochem test. Asking about the structure of the 20 Amino Acids.
that's worth a hard oof from me

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Had a chick tell me that she was going to "MD school only" because DOs aren't real doctors...she followed this up with saying that the only kind of doctor that she wanted to be was a "Dermatological plastic surgeon." She then applied to only one MD school in October, and by march, when she didn't get an interview said, "I'd rather be a PA anyways." When asked where she was going to apply, her response was, "Im only applying Duke because its the best."

She eventually got into medical school, but wow.

Honestly though, my all-time favorite was this incredibly cocky freshman.
I was a TA for freshmen biology, and I had my fair share of pre-meds every year. They always asked for my advice once they figured out that I was still pre-med (successfully) in my Jr/Sr years. Anyways, got into a conversation about the hardest class...it goes like this
Student: So, what was the hardest class for you?
Me: Man, Organic 1 is no joke. Weedout class. Definitely the hardest class out there.
Student: So, you think it is harder than Gen Chem II?
Me: No doubt. Gen Chem II is hard, but Organic beats it by a mile for me.
Student: Well, maybe you're just stupid. Organic Chemistry is nothing more than just some carbon. Its not like you have to do equations and stuff
Me: ....Well, maybe so. You'll just have to get there to find out I guess.

Anyways, he ended up failing that freshman biology class, switched majors to finance, then to communications, then dropped out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I almost miss interacting with pre-meds. Almost.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just remembered a good one.
End of junior year. Talking with another pre-med, he asks me what my MCAT score was. I don't give him the number but tell him I was very happy with my score. He then tells me gloats about getting a 512. I'm super happy for him because that's a good score. He then tries to tell me I should text him if I ever need advice about applying/or re-taking the MCAT. I didn't say this but was just like, nice goin' assuming you did better than me. I beat your MCAT by a mile. Just made me cringe when he assumed he beat me bad enough to give me MCAT advice.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Just remembered a good one.
End of junior year. Talking with another pre-med, he asks me what my MCAT score was. I don't give him the number but tell him I was very happy with my score. He then tells me gloats about getting a 512. I'm super happy for him because that's a good score. He then tries to tell me I should text him if I ever need advice about applying/or re-taking the MCAT. I didn't say this but was just like, nice goin' assuming you did better than me. I beat your MCAT by a mile. Just made me cringe when he assumed he beat me bad enough to give me MCAT advice.

Haha. I would have then told him my score just to watch him squirm. I hate cocky people.

• Love
Any new stories?
How about a quote from a med student:

"I don't think doctors should run hospitals because they don't know business. We need MBA's running hospitals."

Or, from the same person:

"I think we need more nurses in medicine. It'll make my job easier."

"We're gonna be managing complex metabolic diseases, so it's important we know all these pathways." (While learning the structural chemistry of lysophosphoglycerides and the synthesis reactions of leukotrienes)

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users

"I don't think doctors should run hospitals because they don't know business. We need MBA's running hospitals."

"We're gonna be managing complex metabolic diseases, so it's important we know all these pathways." (While learning the structural chemistry of lysophosphoglycerides and the synthesis reactions of leukotrienes)
That last one sounds like they were trying to justify to themselves having to learn things they knew deep down were useless lol.

Reactions: 3 users

Wow.. my philosophy is the polar opposite of that first one lol. We need MORE doctors running healthcare. These leeches that have never touched a patient get paid way too well

Members don't see this ad :)
I ran into so many fellow premeds at cc that would get a C or worse in multiple classes that thought they were still competitive to medical school. The delusional thinking was really sad. Getting one C in undergrad is fine if you have enough As to take the hit but when you C half of your medical school prerequisites that's a cause for concern

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
I ran into so many fellow premeds at cc that would get a C or worse in multiple classes that thought they were still competitive to medical school. The delusional thinking was really sad. Getting one C in undergrad is fine if you have enough As to take the hit but when you C half of your medical school prerequisites that's a cause for concern
I think I had three Cs and two Fs in my prerequisites before I truly figured out undergrad and how to succeed. My classmates and advisors likely also thought I was delusional when I told them I was planning to apply to med school.

Hey look ma, I made it!

Reactions: 6 users
I think I had three Cs and two Fs in my prerequisites before I truly figured out undergrad and how to succeed. My classmates and advisors likely also thought I was delusional when I told them I was planning to apply to med school.

Hey look ma, I made it!
Nice you're in a better spot than me, I'm reapplying. I think for the vast majority of people though it doesn't work out like it did in your case unfortunately.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Had multiple bad grades and withdrawals. Was accepted to multiple MD programs and I am 3 weeks away from being a 4th year. The only thing medical schools love more than consistent academic excellence is evidence of growth and overcoming obstacles.

Never count anyone out.

Last edited:
Had multiple bad grades and withdrawals in CC. Had multiple bad grades and withdrawals in Uni. Was accepted to multiple MD programs and I am 3 weeks away from being a 4th year. The only thing medical schools love more than consistent academic excellence is evidence of growth and overcoming obstacles.

Never count anyone out.
This is a good teaching moment for me to not be so dismissive towards those that struggle in these classes. Thanks for the advice!

• Love
Nice you're in a better spot than me, I'm reapplying. I think for the vast majority of people though it doesn't work out like it did in your case unfortunately.

Also depends on the rest of the app. I had 26 Ws and 3 Fs. I’m an MS3 now and got multiple acceptances my first time applying.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
A lot of people start out with bad GPAs. They might figure themselves out, you never know.

Applying to Harvard caliber schools with a 2.87 gpa and thinking everything's gonna be fine is a different story tho.

After my year on the Adcom I have SO many spectacular stories.

My favorite essay started with a premed saying he always knew he wanted to be a physician because his parents told him from a young age doctors make lots of money. Read the whole very very well written thing waiting for the “hook” where he explains why that was wrong and he really wants to help people or whatever.

Got to the last paragraph and to my surprise...nope! Just cruised right through. His actual, stated reason for applying to med school was to “make a lot of money.”

Poor kid had stellar grades and honestly great ECs that he didn’t reflect on at all. Was clearly a skilled writer. It felt like I was watching one of those YouTube videos of someone buying a Ferrari then drifting it out of the lot, straight into a tree.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

My favorite essay started with a premed saying he always knew he wanted to be a physician because his parents told him from a young age doctors make lots of money. Read the whole very very well written thing waiting for the “hook” where he explains why that was wrong and he really wants to help people or whatever.

Got to the last paragraph and to my surprise...nope! Just cruised right through. His actual, stated reason for applying to med school was to “make a lot of money.”

Poor kid had stellar grades and honestly great ECs that he didn’t reflect on at all. Was clearly a skilled writer. It felt like I was watching one of those YouTube videos of someone buying a Ferrari then drifting it out of the lot, straight into a tree.
Or those YouTube med school interview videos of what NOT to do.

• Haha
Or those YouTube med school interview videos of what NOT to do.
Interestingly, my first standardized patient encounter from MS1 is still shown annually at my school as a “what not to do example”

it included:
Patient: “my father has ASL”
Me: “whoa cool!”

It included me not sitting down the entire interview, so the 5 minute cut is just me awkwardly standing over the person “parents in Charlie Brown style” with my head off screen

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Interestingly, my first standardized patient encounter from MS1 is still shown annually at my school as a “what not to do example”

it included:

It included me not sitting down the entire interview, so the 5 minute cut is just me awkwardly standing over the person “parents in Charlie Brown style” with my head off screen

Where can we watch this?

Thx

• Haha

it included:

I had a classmate who used to respond “cool, cool” to everything the SPs would say haha.

• Haha
Knew someone at another undergrad who apparently didn't take their classwork seriously (info from a mutual friend who was in groups with this person). That didn't stop them from getting a "2B MD" vanity license plate.

• Wow
  • Haha
"I'll never understand why they make us take math tho, I'm a premed I'm never gonna need it." (Posted to keep this thread on topic)

Based on what I've read on this and the other closed thread, a lot of premeds seem too confident in their "abilities". From wanting to help EMTs because they're "practically doctors" to offering dumb medical advice. Is there a liability issue there? If some idiotic premed gives someone advice under the guise of being "practically a doctor" and it ends badly can they be sued or would the good Samaritan law protect them?

"I'll never understand why they make us take math tho, I'm a premed I'm never gonna need it." (Posted to keep this thread on topic)

Based on what I've read on this and the other closed thread, a lot of premeds seem too confident in their "abilities". From wanting to help EMTs because they're "practically doctors" to offering dumb medical advice. Is there a liability issue there? If some idiotic premed gives someone advice under the guise of being "practically a doctor" and it ends badly can they be sued or would the good Samaritan law protect them?

I guess technically you could get hung up for practicing medicine without a license if you give medical advice. But if you stop and help at an emergency, you’re generally protected as long as you act as a reasonable person would.

I guess technically you could get hung up for practicing medicine without a license if you give medical advice. But if you stop and help at an emergency, you’re generally protected as long as you act as a reasonable person would.
I meant this in regard to douchey, delusional premeds. I'd never offer anyone advice I'm not fit to give

I meant this in regard to douchey, delusional premeds. I'd never offer anyone advice I'm not fit to give
I offer people advice I'm not qualified to give all the time! I re-frame it in my mind from being advice from an ignorant individual (myself) to me doing a bit of a social experiment to just kinda... see what happens

Hey look ma, I made it!
Curious, but were you a traditional applicant or did you need extra years to compensate and bring up your GPA?

Curious, but were you a traditional applicant or did you need extra years to compensate and bring up your GPA?
Definitely needed to take some time to build my app. It’s been three years between graduating undergrad and starting med school. Not sure if that’s considered “non-trad”

• Care

Heard a similar thing when I was applying for med school. A girl I interviewed with had previously been in a group interview and the group was asked "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" Some guy said something like "On the back nine, working on my short game". Apparently, the interviewer laughed and asked what his real answer was and that was it...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Heard a similar thing when I was applying for med school. A girl I interviewed with had previously been in a group interview and the group was asked "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" Some guy said something like "On the back nine, working on my short game". Apparently, the interviewer laughed and asked what his real answer was and that was it...

maybe as a caddy

• Haha

He must have bought into the old (mythical?) story of doctors taking Wednesdays off to golf.

During my sophmore year of undergrad I was in Speech class. We were giving speeches on "How to do something." Some peoples' topics were 'how to change the oil in a car' or 'How to start a fire." Future neurocardiothoracic orthopedic surgeon comes in a lab coat and spends 15 mins (Max time allowed is supposed to be 8-10 mins and we lose points for going over) explaining how to make a cell culture. Probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Our professor was NOT happy

• Haha
20210724_WWD000.jpg

This is an even bigger problem in medicine